Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #121
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Thanks, pio. I forgot about the signature business, but I've fixed it now.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #122
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
I'm picking up a friend from the airport, but as soon as I get back I'm going to move the caravan to the inn, around 9:00 in-game. Call for the evening's rehearsal will be at the ninth bell, or 3:00 p.m., that gives all of our characters six hours to interact with each other or the populus. And because it extends past noon, that gives us, the players, tomorrow to wreak as much havoc as we'd like.

Who wants to bump into Sam, Rose, and Elanor?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #123
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
Who wants to bump into Sam, Rose, and Elanor?
Hmm...well if Amdir is planning on meeting up with us at the inn and with Branor wanting to explore the City a bit more (given that the troupe has down time). I was thinking, once getting settled at the inn, perhaps Amdir could show new parts of the city to Branor? And of course, any of the other members are welcome to go on a down-time excursion.

Keep in mind Form, Branor will ask Amdir to show him the city. Amdir is of course free to agree to this or not, Branor will still probably go along without him.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #124
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Formendacil, nice post but it needs a bit of working out in terms of...you've made my character into your character's master, and some kind of patronly figure?

Lord Cirdacil/Burghley is a Puritanical type who disapproves of wasteful dramatic expenditure. I was envisaging him as a reluctant tagger along in the royal retinue, not as a key organiser...

Would you mind having another Lord as your master, a more distant NPC, or would you rather I adjust Cirdacil to this more accepting role? I suppose the poor old geezer could have been ordered into it by royal fiat, but if so could you change "took an interest in the dramatic arts" to be more mordant and ironic?

one of the reasons I wasn't myself going down the "noble patron" route is that I think that part might be bigger than I have time for. An absolutely and constitutionally reluctant noble patron, though, might be quite funny and not too big a part either

think of the (utterly unfair) portrayal of Sir Edmund Tilney in Shakespeare in Love...on such a basis I'd be willing to write the role you've laid out for me. Is that ok?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #125
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel View Post
Formendacil, nice post but it needs a bit of working out in terms of...you've made my character into your character's master, and some kind of patronly figure?

Lord Cirdacil/Burghley is a Puritanical type who disapproves of wasteful dramatic expenditure. I was envisaging him as a reluctant tagger along in the royal retinue, not as a key organiser...

Would you mind having another Lord as your master, a more distant NPC, or would you rather I adjust Cirdacil to this more accepting role? I suppose the poor old geezer could have been ordered into it by royal fiat, but if so could you change "took an interest in the dramatic arts" to be more mordant and ironic?

one of the reasons I wasn't myself going down the "noble patron" route is that I think that part might be bigger than I have time for. An absolutely and constitutionally reluctant noble patron, though, might be quite funny and not too big a part either

think of the (utterly unfair) portrayal of Sir Edmund Tilney in Shakespeare in Love...on such a basis I'd be willing to write the role you've laid out for me. Is that ok?
My most abject apologies, Master Anguirel, for leaping into the post without rereading the planning thread thoroughly. Somewhere your previous statement of "don't have enough time to play a patron" turned into "Anguirel's character is patron" in my head.

As to rectifying that, it's probably easiest if I just rename said patron than try and rework what I wrote--not because it's that difficult to rewrite the post, but because I don't want to back you into an unpleasant corner... but if you find yourself *wanting* to be a reluctant and disdainful patron, I can be easily persuaded thither.

And, as I've never seen Shakespeare in Love, I'm afraid the reference is quite lost on me.

Boro--feel free to have Branor ask Amdír. I'm not sure yet if he'll say yes... that'll undoubtedly depend on the outcome of first rehearsal/meeting.

EDIT: Okay, Cirdacil is gone, and one Lord Hallas is in, as the Players' part-time patron when they're in Minas Tirith. I would emphasise the "part-time" bit because: 1.) he's an NPC no one quite planned on making and 2.) he really only supports the Players when they're in Minas Tirith, and does so in more of an offhand "here's some money, make me look good and cultured for supporting you" than because he's got any keen interest drama.

EDIT II: Never mind the last edit... 'tis all undone.

Last edited by Formendacil; 03-09-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #126
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

actually Formendacil seriously don't change a thing

I've had an inspiration. Lord Cirdacil will indeed be Master of the Revels for hideous, deficit cutting motives of his own, bwaha

I'll have the post ready tomorrow, in the meantime everybody enjoy yourselves proceed with your fripperous and vain mummery...BAH HUMBUG

EDIT: oh no! Argh! Change it back! If you don't mind. ha this is so silly
Old 03-09-2011, 09:55 AM   #127
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
actually Formendacil seriously don't change a thing

I've had an inspiration. Lord Cirdacil will indeed be Master of the Revels for hideous, deficit cutting motives of his own, bwaha

I'll have the post ready tomorrow, in the meantime everybody enjoy yourselves proceed with your fripperous and vain mummery...BAH HUMBUG

EDIT: oh no! Argh! Change it back! If you don't mind. ha this is so silly
Your wish is my command. 'tis easily done.

Lord Cirdacil is looking for tax benefits?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #128
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

it's best if I don't be more explicit till I've written it; but it involves court intrigue, money, a family dispute and a very minor dastardly plan
Old 03-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #129
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Form, I brought Amdir to the rest of the troupe. That's what I judged you had in mind doing next? And while Branor does not seem to give Amdir any choice in the matter, I remind you that he DOES have one.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #130
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Also also, before I forget.

I am fine with people moving Brinn and/or Rollan around if they need them for some reason.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #131
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Form, I brought Amdir to the rest of the troupe. That's what I judged you had in mind doing next? And while Branor does not seem to give Amdir any choice in the matter, I remind you that he DOES have one.
Indeed--'twas the plan.

I'll hold off a bit on having Amdír reply, in case someone else wants to get involved in the sightseeing, or in case Brinn decides he's needed on-set.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #132
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
I've had Harrenon express his desire to join the sightseeing,if that's ok. And, Boro, if you have any objection with how my character views your character, feel free to tell me and I'll alter my post.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #133
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Bringing this forward

Reminders for an RPG in play:
  • Please remove your signature from EVERY post to the RPG thread - including SAVES

• Don't use smileys in your RPG posts or icons - e.g., etc.

• Don't highlight any part of the RPG text.

• Don't use the 'Reason for Editing' function on your RPG posts. If it's critical that other players know that you've changed something, then put a post on the Discussion Thread about your edit.

• No OOC (out of character comments) on the RPG thread - use the Discussion Thread.

• SAVES should be filled within 48 hours and may be removed from the game at the discretion of the game facilitator. The game facilitator may disallow any SAVES to his/her game.
  • If there's something crucial you need to post but can't at the time, you can place your finished post on the Discussion Thread and ask the Forum Moderator to insert it in the appropriate place on the game thread.

• Swearing, sexual conduct, or obscenity of any kind are absolutely prohibited. There are no exceptions -- per The Barrow-Wight
Old 03-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #134
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Okay- generally everything is off my back now. I will try and read through the gameplay thread while I'm at work this evening and I'll make a post after I get home.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #135
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Why yes, there was just a magical disappearing post from me. I crossposted with Master Formy, and his post contained nearly the exact same thing I'd written!

So instead of redundant information, I merely request: Form, could you include that Therian comes along, specifically intending to find a tavern?
Old 03-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #136
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Nerwen, what you wrote about Asta and Coldan is exactly what I had in mind for them. Nice!
As you see, I'm letting you decide how Coldan is going to spend the time until the rehearsal starts, as he'll try to stay around Asta unless strongly rebuked - I hope that's OK. Whatever you do is fine with me, and if you find a way to get rid of him, well, the poor darling will just have to sublimate and maybe add a line or two to The Fall of King Bladorthin.
(As far as 'explaining himself' to Asta goes, I doubt he will anytime soon - he's had lots of chances before...)
Old 03-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #137
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Okay everyone, QUESTION!!

When I get home tonight and can finally post, do you think it would be appropriate for me to write up a sort of cast of characters info sheet, containing major points as to how we portray the various characters in our play and list important things they do? It seems to me that, after finding out that the King himself might attend, a playwright would become a bit more concerned about accuracy and seek to ammend major errors (particularly those involving the King), and one way to do this would be to distribute small character bios to everyone in the crew and ask that everyone keep his or her ears open for any information that contradicts our sheets.

Then as corrections are added each day (some true, some false I imagine), we would naturally produce a new sheet to work from. Doable, or too contrived? Either way I think we ought to have some sort of master list so that we don't keep adding plot points that contradict each other.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #138
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I approve of consistency, although I think at this point what each Player thinks (from what's in the script) is actually true and what is "creative theatrical license" may up to each player. But it'll be a nice setup for the future, especially since we do have to know what we're doing for the dress rehearsal later "tonight."
Old 03-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #139
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Harrenon's fine, Dimturiel. I'm glad I'm making the pompous d-bag personality come out well enough, and he picked up on Branor's lovable...enthusiasm? But honestly it's only going to get worse, and I would be surprised if Branor makes it through the day without someone (whether it be a troupe member or a NPC person from the Rohirric Unicorn) socking him in the face.

Last edited by Boromir88; 03-09-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #140
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form, on the game thread
He had briefly met Master Meriadoc
Well then- I'd say we're going to be mighty ticked at you when we find out that you've known about "Merry the Hobbit" all along, seeing as due to a couple of misunderstandings from sources in our play he has been replaced with "Mary the Elf".

I can just imagine Brinn or Branor bellowing, "Why have you never corrected us?!!"
Old 03-10-2011, 05:46 AM   #141
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Form, on the game thread
He had briefly met Master Meriadoc
Well then- I'd say we're going to be mighty ticked at you when we find out that you've known about "Merry the Hobbit" all along, seeing as due to a couple of misunderstandings from sources in our play he has been replaced with "Mary the Elf".
And killed off, as of my last post. You see, we weren't sure exactly what had become of the "real" Mary the Elf anyway, and Asta needed to be free to do her puppetry later in the play, and we thought the action was flagging at that point...

...What point? I haven't specified, but we probably do need to decide that pretty soon. I doubt very much if Mary makes it as far as the Pelennor. I mean, what need to have two people involved in killing the Lord of the Nazgûl? How undramatic.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #142
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
phantom, if you're willing to take the trouble of being our Keeper of Consistency, power to you; I think we're going to need something like this the more the game progresses.
(Oh, and are we going to treat Gimli as a minor comic role? "Nobody tosses a Dorvinian!")
Old 03-10-2011, 07:44 AM   #143
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

I was planning on doing this last night, but couldn't bring myself to think in great detail with the exhausting day. But will write the post now.

Amdir will inform Branor the hobbit in the Rohirric Unicorn is Master Sam. At Branor's complete shock to discover this is Sam of the War of the Ring, he goes to chat with the hobbit. And then will head back to tell the news to Brinn immediately.

I think I've got a nice idea for when Branor tells Sam, when in fact Sam was supposed to die.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #144
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Why yes, there was just a magical disappearing post from me. I crossposted with Master Formy, and his post contained nearly the exact same thing I'd written!

So instead of redundant information, I merely request: Form, could you include that Therian comes along, specifically intending to find a tavern?
Great minds think alike, I guess. 'tis an easy enough amendment, and I shall do it momentarily.

...and I'll put off posting again until Branoromir88 has had a chance to post an interaction with Sam.

Btw, Anguirel, from your post I would deduce that Cirdacil has only just now become the financial sponsor of the King's Players. In that case, perhaps I shall amend my first post to suggest that Amdír is in the service of the Master of Revels, which until recently had been Hallas, since he has a few years-long association with the players on behalf of "the Lord" (which, I guess, is not actually one Lord, but the office of the Master of Revels).
Old 03-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #145
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
...and I'll put off posting again until Branoromir88 has had a chance to post an interaction with Sam.
just posted. I brought it to the point where Branor specifically tells Sam how he should have died already, of course trying to wipe his hands clean of the problem, by blaming it all on Aldarion. And was just going to ask if Form, Fea, or Dimturiel could pick up the rest.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #146
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
just posted. I brought it to the point where Branor specifically tells Sam how he should have died already, of course trying to wipe his hands clean of the problem, by blaming it all on Aldarion. And was just going to ask if Form, Fea, or Dimturiel could pick up the rest.
I could probably take a brief crack at it, but I'll try to leave lots of room for Therian and Harrenon to have some fun.

Meanwhile, my edits are done. Fea should take a quick look at Post 12 and Ang should see how the Hallas/Cirdacil continuity looks in Post 5

EDIT: My new post is up. Amdír has had a stroke of genius, and Sam has delivered some wild-sounding information about Black Riders (what are they? Nothing says the Players have any reason to think them the same as beast-riding Nazgûl), Gandalf and giant eagles, and the fires of Mt. Doom. Perhaps the playwright will decide to flatter the royal guests in the audience by rewriting the script to make Samwise the Strong the true hero of the story (well... after the King)... In any case, it's back to someone else.

Last edited by Formendacil; 03-10-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #147
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

looks really good to me, also establishes Hallas as consistently a chiller on his estate, whereas my Lord remains a city slicker...
Old 03-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #148
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
looks really good to me, also establishes Hallas as consistently a chiller on his estate, whereas my Lord remains a city slicker...
Probably not an estate far from the city (the Pelennor's fertile fields maybe), since the set-pieces need to be close, but handy enough.

Glad you approve.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #149
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Finally caught up with reading. Love the way it looks this far (cracked up aloud at Boro's latest post ), and will post still today. Mnemo, your handling of Sereth is absolutely fine. Also for everybody's further information - you can borrow her if needs be because I have a suspicion I will be busy and not necessarily around enough to carry her along...
Old 03-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #150
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Form- looks good.

Boro- yes, I'm setting up Therian as a passive-aggressive antagonist, and a bit of a sycophant.

Anybody that wants to take over that conversation, feel free.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #151
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Fea, Therian makes me laugh. I was wondering though if it's intentional Branor is sometimes called Branor and sometimes Brandor when you're describing what's happening because that makes the reader about as confused as Therian. Meaning for example:
Quote:
"I would fight gallantly!" Branor boasted.

"No doubt you would, Brandor," Sam said. "Some did. Princess Eowyn fought better'n most, and that Witch King was dead as they come!"

"Branor," Brandor corrected.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #152
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Fea, Therian makes me laugh. I was wondering though if it's intentional Branor is sometimes called Branor and sometimes Brandor when you're describing what's happening because that makes the reader about as confused as Therian. Meaning for example:
Quite intentional. I was riffing off of a few posts up when Boro had Branor call Amdir 'Amdil' and doesn't care when he's corrected. Therian called him 'Brandor' when talking to Sam just to see if Branor would pick up on it and cause a scene.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #153
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
I would be surprised if Branor makes it through the day without someone (whether it be a troupe member or a NPC person from the Rohirric Unicorn) socking him in the face.
Vëandur volunteers.

I find myself extremely busy, but I'm looking at scenarios in which Vëandur could cause a little drama. I'm thinking that he could meet Aldarion during the troupe's down time (possibly in a tavern). They could start talking about their backgrounds, and Vëandur might want to talk Aldarion out of his acting career?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #154
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Quite intentional. I was riffing off of a few posts up when Boro had Branor call Amdir 'Amdil' and doesn't care when he's corrected. Therian called him 'Brandor' when talking to Sam just to see if Branor would pick up on it and cause a scene.
Haha, I figured he's doing it intentionally but was not so sure about you. Anyway, great post.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #155
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

All right then.... A reference post for plot agreement! (Some bits copied and pasted from the previous page.)

Initial War of the Ring Drama Character Roles & Important Bits

ROLES IN WAR OF THE RING DRAMA
Brinn- Hobbits in Shire, Orcs in Moria/Anduin/Rauros/Rohan/Gondor/Mordor, Sorceress of Lothlorien
Asta- Mary the Elf of Rivendell, Gollum the Orc
Rollan- Saruman the demented wizard, Denethor Steward of Gondor, Orcs in Moria/Anduin/Rauros/Mordor
Branor- Aragorn the returning King of Gondor
Therian- Eowyn, various Orcs in Moria/Wilderland/Rauros/Mordor
Amdir- Pippin the Hobbit Prince, various Orcs in Mordor
Coldan- Gimli the Dwarf, Sam the Hobbit servant, Orcs in Mordor
Harrenon- Legolas the Elf, The Witch King
Sereth- Frodo the Warrior Hobbit, various orcs in Rohan/Gondor
Aldarion- Boromir prince of Gondor, the evil King Butterbur, King Theoden, Prince Imrahil

IMPORTANT CHARACTER POINTS OF THE RING DRAMA
Gandalf- Gandalf flits in and out of the tale, sometimes walking slowly behind a scene and back offstage without saying a word. We try to give an impression that he is a great mover of important events without making his role in anything clear- he is very mysterious! He can be played by nearly anyone in the troop, as we use heavy makeup and costume for him. His most active scene is battling a giant flame-breathing tentacle monster in the mines of Moria, where he appears to fall to his death only to reappear later.
Frodo- He is basically a more active version of Gandalf, and is said to be Prince Pippin's trusted general and friend. During most fights he merely watches as the rest of the group battles, but towards the end he usually inserts himself in some grandiose fashion. (E.g. In Moria during a fight he bursts out "Stop!!" and when all turn to look at him he declares, "With this ring I command the very breath in your lungs!" at which point all the goblins fall to the ground gasping and die.) In general non-human characters receive fewer lines in the drama, as they are less relatable and more mysterious to both the audience and the King's Players.
Aragorn- The returning king is commanding, loud, and over the top- a perfect fit for Branor. During fight scenes he often pauses the action to pose heroically (which the troop doesn't mind terribly) and sometimes to adlib something Branor thinks is clever ("If your quaking spirit manages to get back to your dark master, tell him The King is returning!" *stab*) Aldarion has been trying to get Branor to stop deviating for months, with very little success. As far as Aragorn's "romance" with Queen Arwen- it is treated instead as an arranged marriage (made at the council in Rivendell) to ensure the support of the Elves in Rivendell and Mirkwood.
Boromir- Aldarion's Boromir never challenges Aragorn openly, but in several soliloquies he expresses his true feelings. In the first, at Rivendell, he doubts Aragorn's claim. Later, while boating the Anduin, he agonizes over whether or not to move aside for Aragorn at all since he himself is such a great captain and knows Gondor better, and even if he should move aside he doubts that during a great war is the time to switch leaders. In his third speech he acknowledges his overriding love for Mary and decides that the throne means little to him in comparison, and so he will let her decide his course. It is then that the Fellowship is attacked and Boromir falls defending Mary from capture in a marvelously choreographed fight scene. The killing blow is struck by the Witch King (adds to WK's villainy and makes the later confrontation more powerful).
Mary- She is an Elf from Rivendell, and carries a magical elf sword which she uses well against the various monsters and orcs we face. It is made evident early on through meaningful glances and awkward pauses that there is a great deal of romantic tension between Mary and Boromir. It finally comes to a head at Rauros with the pair declaring their feelings and kissing just as the forces of Saruman and Witch King attack. As she is carried away by Saruman's henchmen Mary sees WK strike down Boromir and declares that she will avenge her lost love (at this time WK gets driven off by an unexpected visit from Gandalf). After Mary and the Hobbit Prince Pippin escape from the Orcs, she convinces the trees of Fangorn to grow over Isengard. She then joins the Rohirrim and rides with them to the rescue of Minas Tirith. Upon the battlefield WK descends to kill Theoden, giving her a shot at him. As WK moves in to slay Eowyn, declaring "Prophecy has declared that no man can kill me!" Mary cries "For Boromir!" and leaps at his back, but he whirls around and impales her. Mary tosses her magic sword to Eowyn (now behind WK) and pulls herself further onto his sword, getting close enough to hurl her magic cloak over him. As he staggers, vision obscured, Eowyn declares, "But I am a woman!" and brings the magic blade down upon WK's head. Both he and Mary die.
Eowyn- See latter portion of Mary's entry above. (It should be noted that every time Therian yells "But I am a woman!" Brinn can be heard chuckling backstage.)
The Witch King- See Mary's entry above.
Pippin- He is the strong, wise, and merry ruler of the Halflings, and has the most lines of all the non-humans, plotting and planning the route with Aragorn and Boromir and fighting bravely in all encounters.
Denethor- Since he is played by Rollan, Denethor is played in a comic fashion. He is grumpy and clumsy (always injuring those around him), and in the end he is doomed by his klutziness as he accidentally spills oil all over himself and sets himself ablaze.
Saruman- Another typical Rollan character, Saruman is an utter loon and overreacts to everything. Watching him dash about Isengard screaming in a panic with a bucket of weed-killer is often the favorite scene of the children in attendance.
Butterbur- The evil ruler of Bree is the first major obstacle encountered by Pippin, Frodo, and Sam. In their travels they are invited to rest in his gargantuan house, but during the night they are attacked and discover Butterbur has invited a Nazgul to stay with him as well, and also he has killed their ponies. They are attacked again while trying to escape, and this time WK and all the other Nazgul are there. With the element of surprise WK and friends are able to gain the upper hand, but Aragorn comes dashing into the tale for the first time and manages to help the hobbits escape.
Gollum- He is an orc scout from Mordor. He is captured by Frodo somewhere in northern Ithilien and forced to guide the hobbit into/through Mordor. He nearly gives away Frodo's position several times, and finally as the journey nears its end Frodo decides he can do without him and slays Gollum.
Legolas- Harrenon's primary job as Legolas is to look graceful and shoot an endless stream of imaginary arrows (and make the sound effect with his mouth).
Gimli- The dwarf is a very flat character, doing little except expressing love for gold and jewels and lust for battle.
Sam- Depending on the number of available cast and crew, Sam is either killed at Weathertop or left out completely.

TYPICAL OR PREFERRED ROLES IN GENERAL FOR THE PLAYER'S
Brinn- minor roles if necessary (manager, props, effects, etc)
Asta- minor roles if necessary (mechanical, costumes, props, etc)
Rollan- comic roles
Branor- major roles, primarily dramatic
Therian- prefers warriors & kings, but always plays ladies
Amdir- minor roles if necessary (set design, construction, etc)
Coldan- minor roles (prompting)
Harrenon- semi-minor roles, usually young
Sereth- child/youth roles
Aldarion- dramatic, tortured soul, romantic lead (playwright)

TIMELINE OF THE PLAYERS
F.A. 12-
*The father of Brinn & Asta constructs a second Robo-Smaug for Dale's Feast of the Dragon
F.A. 13-
*Brinn, Rollan, and a few friends put on performances in Laketown, Erebor, and other small villages near Dale
F.A. 14-
*Brinn and Rollan marry
*Asta joins the group
F.A. 15-
*Branor joins the group
*The Players perform for the first time in the Iron Hills and in Thranduil's hall
F.A. 16-
*Therian joins The Players
*The Players cross Mirkwood to perform for the Beornings
F.A. 17-
*The Players make their first visit to Minas Anor
*Amdir joins The Players while they're in Minas Anor
F.A. 18-
*Coldan joins the group in Dale
*The Players visit Minas Anor again, and also perform quite a bit in Lossarnach
F.A. 19-
*Harrenon joins The Players during their third trip to Minas Anor
*The Players hit Lossarnach again, and Lamedon for the first time
*While in Lamedon they are joined by Sereth and Aelin
F.A. 20-
*The Players visit Minas Anor for the fourth straight year
*Aelin leaves the troop
*The Players go to Dol Amroth for the first time and have run-ins with The Swan Players and its members
*Aldarion defects from The Swan Players and travels with the group to tour in Rohan
F.A. 21-
*After performances back home in Dale and for the Beornings and Rohirrim, the group makes their fifth trip to Minas Anor's Cormare celebrations

Last edited by the phantom; 03-15-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #156
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

I'm afraid my post crossed with you Dimturiel. The approaching winter storm is making my internet connection go fritzy, but we do have some work to make the two stories flow together. I'll try to work in Harrenon's post, but ideas would help...?

Edit: silly me didn't think about the simplest plan, by just cutting out Sam's reply about Eowyn to Branor, and having what he tells Harrenon about Mary the Elf lead into my last post. Making the edit now.

Last edited by Boromir88; 03-10-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #157
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Nice job of picking up on Asta's role involvement with Boromir, Pitch. I was hoping you might do that.

Are you guys after your visit with Sam still going to be unclear that Merry & Mary are the same person, and thus think we need to add another character to the cast, or are you planning to discover the completely mistaken identity in full at this time?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #158
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Everybody abroad in the city, your scenes with Sam are gorgeous! Rock on!

phantom, your character points about Mary, Boromir and the WK were quite helpful for my post, and I've briefly summarized them there. (Hope you don't mind Coldan's less than flattering opinion of Aldarion - it's all jealousy, of course.)

Nerwen, when you write dialogue for Coldan, would you mind giving him just a hint of an accent? And if you'd like anything about Asta modified, just say so.

OK everybody, I'm under the impression our rehearsal should start soonish, is that right? I'm off to bed now and won't be back until tomorrow evening real European time. If you need Coldan to do anything at the rehearsal, go ahead.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #159
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Thanks Pitch, I've had a lot of fun with it, and thanks to Mnemo and the 3 travelling companions for making this whimsical playfulness possible.

So, we do need to get back to rehearsals, which I will work on and finish now. There should be enough confusion and panic caused by this meeting with Sam, and well the 3 will have to get an intoxicated Branor back safely.

For myself, phantom, Branor is completely obsessed with trying to convince you that Aragorn's part needs drastic revision, and so obviously when he returns all he's going to inform you about is himself and Aragorn. He'll completely forget the business about Sam actually not being dead, Mary or Merry...so that will be up to one of the others.

Last edited by Boromir88; 03-10-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:22 AM   #160
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

I go to West Virginia today around 3-ish (roads should be cleared off by then me hopes) be back on Sunday. I may be able to peek on the internet at the hotel, but there won't be any expanded time that I can be on and post.

Before I go, I'm gonna write a post where a tipsy Branor tries to convince Aldarion that he needs to make major changes to Aragorn's part.

Fea can use and write for Branor in whatever way she needs him for Therian's trouble-making purposes.

Anyone feel free to mess with him, play pranks and generally whatever way suits your amusment (my only request would be nothing violent, Branor's a prick, but he's pretty harmless). Maybe everyone can decide to just get Branor to go sleep it off, if anyone can convince him that is

Inzil, when Veandur meets Branor, I'm sure Branor will do and say something that'll warrant someone knocking him out.

Last edited by Boromir88; 03-11-2011 at 06:26 AM.