The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2003, 01:26 PM   #1
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Pipe Past works...

Ther have been many re-creations of The Lord of the Rings. The animated movies, the radio broadcast(with Ian Holm as Frodo) and those weird plays that looked like an amature editor cut it up with shears. Has anyone seen or heard these "past works"? I've only sample the animations and read that cut up collage they call a play(sorry, it was a hack job) I'd be interested in where I could find out more about them.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:11 PM   #2
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Sting

<A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001192" TARGET=_blank>Does anyone else like the cartoon?</A>, <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001131" TARGET=_blank>The Other Movies</A>, <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000616" TARGET=_blank>1978 animated</A>, <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000339" TARGET=_blank>LOTR Cartoon</A><P>That's just a brief list, I'm sure there are other threads. Just use the search function. I loved the animated one by Ralph Bakshi, however, I just can't stand the animated Return of the King, and as for the Hobbit, that was pretty bad too. I've never even heard of the radio broadcasts. All I've seen was the animated films. But one thing that I can't understand is that some people absolutely trash Bakshi's film and praise the animated Hobbit. The animated Hobbit was horrible, it's only use would be for young children to watch. Bakshi's had a lot of flaws I admit, but I think they did great for its time. Technology wasn't very advanced then, and they had an awfully small budget, which was the reason they couldn't even finish it. But there I go again, rambling.....sorry...

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:30 PM   #3
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have seen the audio cassettes for the radio broadcast version of Lotr many times in the shops. I'm still working towards buying them.<BR>I absolutely adore the animated Lotr, but unfortunately I have not yet seen Rotk, although I'm desperate to. The Hobbit sounds amusing from everyone else's comments. Something about blue elves? Or was it green?
Old 04-23-2003, 02:55 PM   #4
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

They were green, if I remember correctly. I haven't watched <I>The Hobbit</I> in a long while, and I don't blame myself for it.<P>I personally did not like any of the animated versions. I do watch them every now and then, though, for a good laugh when I'm in a bad mood. Especially <I>The Hobbit</I>, with the ridiculous looking Elves and Trolls, and the Orcs will all their singing and leering warty faces.<P>What bothered me the most about the RotK was the odd disappearance of Gandalf's hat... Besides the even more drastic disappearance of Legolas and Gimli... and that strange Elrond with the stars floating above his head... and it may just be me, but Denethor was very... odd. And I wish I could forget Eomer... and the Witchking. Though it is rather amusing to watch Gollum lift a giant boulder twice the size of himself as easily as if he were lifting a pebble.<P>Ah well.....
Old 04-23-2003, 06:36 PM   #5
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've never seen the animated ones but I do have a radio cassette of the Hobbit which is really quite stupid. Its completely different to how I imagined it to sound like though it is quite funny to listen to when I'm bored
Old 04-24-2003, 09:44 AM   #6
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

I'd love to hear that radio broadcast, did you say they sold it in bookstores or specialty shops or what?<BR>Ian Holm played frodo(in his younger years) that's why he was asked to play Bilbo in the movies. Pretty cool, I thought.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote