The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > Haudh-en-Ndengin
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2003, 06:47 PM   #1
gralin musicteeth
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Tossing half-sick between grotesque reality and savage, frightening dreams
gralin musicteeth has just left Hobbiton.
Boots Blind Guardian

Has anybody here heard the Nightfall in Middle-Earth album that Blind Guardian did? I was listening to it and wondered what everybody here thought of it. Personally I think it's great but my sister thinks Tolkien would be spinning in his grave. What do you think?
Old 03-06-2003, 09:59 AM   #2
Odie

Eye

If one looks at it as a Tolkien-rendering, sure he would be spinning in his grave, but I think most of us just see it as a tribute. It's a pretty good cd imho.

Old 03-09-2003, 11:44 AM   #3
Narya
Wight

Narya has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Hi, I really like this group, Blind Guardian.
I like their music and I´ve discovered them just a few weeks ago.
The first of their CDs I have buyed was Nightfall in Middle Earth. I first heard "Curse of Feanor" on the internet and because I was allways fascinated by Feanor and his story and because I like it very much, when people write/sing songs about thing I admire, I liked the song very much. The song discribes the same feeling I have about this stories. I loved the other songs on the album as well.
But I am not sure if Tolkien would be spinning in his grave or not.
I tend to think the songs are just a tribute to Tolkien and a good interpreatation of the Silmarillion; I don´t think they are a masterpiece of a new Silmarillion put into music, but they are a nice and well- done fan- tribute.
Compared with the LoTR- movie as another interpreatation of Tolkien´s work, Nightfall is very good, because the way of putting the stories into music is concentrated on the feelings and the thoughts behind the stories and not on plain action.
(I don´t want to critize the film; maybe you can´t even compare the movie with this album, but I think the album also has a -let´s say- high quality...)

[ March 11, 2003: Message edited by: Narya ]
Old 03-11-2003, 09:56 AM   #4
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was not aware of this! I am now very excited to check it out. I am pretty sure if I found the Ballad of Bilbo Baggins charmingly cheesy then Blind Guardian will seem excellent in comparison. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2003, 07:13 PM   #5
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

Sting

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Wow! I just dowloaded a bunch of the Blind Guardian songs and they are so beautiful. They sound very medevil which I love, they even got me in the mood to draw-a great way to get the creative juices flowing! Or even to do other things to... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2003, 08:10 PM   #6
Aerandir Carnesir
Wight

Aerandir Carnesir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey hobbit punk! I also just downloaded a bunch of Blind Gaurdian songs. Right now, I'm listening to "Time Stands Still on the Iron Hill". This band is great. They satisfy my rock cravings and my LotR cravings at the same time! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] All I've been listening to is TTT soundtrack, and that was getting boring cause I can't play any of those songs on my guitar. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] The Curse of Feanor is pretty good, and I like the Bard's Song too.

ROCK ON MY FRIENDS!!!

Ranger of the Dúnedain,

Aerandir Carnesir [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2003, 05:44 AM   #7
Narya
Wight

Boots

I´m glad that you like them [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
They make very good metal- music I think.
Time stands still.. is one of my favorites, too.
I´m allready planing to make a Silmarillion- Movie with this music as a background.. okay, maybe I won´t but who knows?

As I said before I think it´s OK to make such an album as an tribute to Tolkien.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:56 PM   #8
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Blind Guardian is a good group, though as is said before, if you look only at the things said about Tolkien's works, you would be spinnig [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Does your sister like the sort of music Blind Guardian makes anyway??

lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
Old 03-12-2003, 09:23 PM   #9
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

Thumbs up

Hey @Aerandir Carnesir
Yeah very true, Blind Guardian does satisfy both. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Also I just finished watching Wayne's World for like the billionth time(I still love it!)and Blind Guardian is a band that would have totally met the approval of Wayne and Garth. Man, Blind Guardian, they can really wail! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Party on!
Old 03-13-2003, 08:31 AM   #10
gralin musicteeth
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Tossing half-sick between grotesque reality and savage, frightening dreams
Boots

I think it's amazing how BG drew on the books for inspiration. You wouldn't see Britney Spears doing anything that intelligent [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. And, lathspell, we do not usually like things we cannot understand, as is the case with my sister. Oh, and Nightfall is my fav! You might also want to check out Lord of the Rings on their Tales of the Twilight World album!
Old 03-13-2003, 08:43 AM   #11
Narya
Wight

Sting

Quote:
You wouldn't see Britney Spears doing anything that intelligent
I think any of her *professional songwriters* wouldn´t do anything that intelligent, too. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

But have you noticed that Blind Guardian consulted Tolkien- experts for their Nightfall... - album?
Old 03-13-2003, 03:13 PM   #12
gralin musicteeth
Shade of Carn Dûm

Boots

I did not know that
Old 03-14-2003, 12:06 PM   #13
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
They sound very medevil which I love…
How can a speed metal band possibly sound medieval? Or is this a bastardization of the term, much like the band’s bastardization of the futhark alphabet and Celtic knot-work on their album covers?

If you want something that sounds medieval, try Gregorian chant.

(Just a comment from the peanut gallery.)
Old 03-18-2003, 01:33 PM   #14
gralin musicteeth
Shade of Carn Dûm

Boots

To each his own [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]