The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2002, 03:48 PM   #1
stone of vision
Haunting Spirit

stone of vision has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye I love that scene(s)

O my beloved DVD, i have so much pleasure to re dive in ME and see my heroes again in motion.<BR>I realized with an extreme surprise, i missed them very much.<BR>Strange that some movie scenes affect you more than others, those shortcuts of life from lotr.<P>Here are some shortcuts, i like. I'm curious to know which ones are yours....<P>First Galadriel voice off, so deep, so mysterious with a touch of melancoly. <BR>It resonates in me like warm and cold thrills, having the feeling she welcomes us in the movie like she welcomed the<BR>fellowship in Lorien.<P>Big screen focused on the most buccolic landscape: Frodo reading under shadows trees in a flowery meadow shining under<BR>sunlight beams. A Peaceful, sweet, beautiful day in the wood of the Shire and you wanna join the placid and studious or dreaming? hobbit, <BR>sit with him, in the wealthy grass, bare feet, your favourite book in hands, a gentle breeze in your face and curls bringing you, herbs and flowers flagrance...<BR>and just enjoy the moment, thinking of being certainly in paradise...<P>And then, you heard a voice singing like a donkey troubling your blissful peace, but knowing the singer has pointy hat and grey mantle, long beard, and a wizard temper<BR>you can't help but feeling amused. Oh my! Gandalf is not Elvis! Sure! lol! <BR>More than his totally forgetable singer talent, you like his witty spirit, the mischievous glow in his blue-grey shade eyes, and the light smile between 2 pipes- puffs becoming so <BR>easily cheerful laughs, while little butterflies of fire are flying behind for the delight of cuty lil' hobbit children mesmerized!<BR>Don't mistake the "unffactionated" nickname the "trouble peace" he was given, Gandalf loves the hobbits and hobbits adore him as much as hobbit can adore... mushrooms, héhéhé<BR> <BR>tbc<P>ok time to go to bed * hobbit SOV waving you greetings*<BR>Sweet dreams in ME

Nee, ai****ara
Dare mo ga konna kodoku ni naru no?
stone of vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 09:26 AM   #2
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Hi, Stone of vision,<P>I like your description of these scenes - so beautiful and poetical !<BR>I agree completely with you about Galadriels voice in the introduction.<P>I haven`t got the DVD yet (am waiting for the director`s cut in nov.) but just 2 weeks ago I saw the movie in the cinema again (for the 5th time! And it`s STILL running now.) The effect in the cinema is just more overwhelming, I`m not aware of myself anymore.<P>There are many scenes I`m fond of, but I guess the one I love most, is right at the end, when Frodo is standing on the shore, making up his mind and recalling what Gandalf told him. And when Sam and Frodo are in the boat. Elijah Woods extremely expressive face and his soulful eyes convey his feelings, fears and doubts in a way that touch the heart! And I love Gandalf, too! Ian McKellen is just perfect!!<P>PS: what on earth does your last signature mean? That isn`t Elvish, is it ?
Old 08-21-2002, 12:38 PM   #3
Iaurlachien
Pile O'Bones

Iaurlachien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I hate that they've cut out Tom Bombadil in FotR. The scene I was most fond of was the scene where boromir tries to take the ring from frodo. That's the point where it all collapses and the fellowship brakes.<P>Love,<P>Iaurlachien
Iaurlachien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 02:20 PM   #4
stone of vision
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Hi guinevere! <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I haven`t got the DVD yet (am waiting for the director`s cut in nov.) but just 2 weeks ago I saw the movie in the cinema again (for the 5th time! And it`s STILL running now.) <BR>The effect in the cinema is just more overwhelming, I`m not aware of myself anymore. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Hey, you are lucky! LOTR movie .... and STILL on MOVIE! wow!<BR>I bless dvd tech though, it really allows me to notice details i've missed in the movie since we are so caught by it, right <BR>What i like most is to pause on " them eyes" for example, or rewind endlessly certains scenes, i'm such a freak totally addicted to lotr! lol!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>And I love Gandalf, too! Ian McKellen is just perfect! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Speaking about the casting , i ran across a mail from another LOTR fan about a casting in 1999, tell me you think of it?<BR>I admit it make me really laugh ( with all the respect i have for thoses wonderful actors below) hahaha!<P>Gandalf: Sean Connery<BR>> Aragorn: Sam Neil<BR>> Legolas: Liam Neeson<BR>> Elrond: Daniel Day Lewis<BR>> Arwen: Finola Hughes<BR>> Sauraman: Malcolm McDowell<BR>> Denethor: Anthony Hopkins<BR>> Grima Wormtongue: Anders Hove<BR>> Theodan Alec Guiness<BR>> Galadriel:Emma Thompson<BR>> Bilbo: Dudley Moore<BR>> Eowyn: Kate Winslet<BR>> Farimir:Gabriel Byrne<P>You are absolutly right, Ian is being perfect and did a real great job protraying the grey pilgrim! <BR>I like the scene when Gandalf is entering Bag End bent, trying not break the the lustrum or anything and then bumped into the ceiling. <BR>The way he looked at the hobbits with this amusing glance, but sure he is having as much fun as they are at the Bilbo's party!<BR>One of my favorite moment is the Gandalf's JIG?!!! among the dancing pairs of hobbits, mmmh yeah, Gandalf is a star dancer!lol

Nee, ai****ara
Old 08-21-2002, 03:28 PM   #5
stone of vision
Haunting Spirit

The Eye

Mae govanen Iaurlachien <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I hate that they've cut out Tom Bombadil in FotR. <BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>That one regret i have too. Tom, the black forrest and Goldberry were being missed. I would have loved seeing Tom's house and Goldberry among the lilies....*sigh*<BR>And the Barrow-downs then !!!! What a pity! that would have been thrilling!<BR>Unfortunatly that was not shortcut to mushrooms ( wonder if i'm not obsessed with mushroom there! lol!) but shortcut to Bree!<BR>I guess it wouldn't have been convenient to cope with movie making stuffs and amenagement....<BR>Happily the books remains us to remind or to relive thoses exciting parts of the story <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The scene I was most fond of was the scene where boromir tries to take the ring from frodo. That's the point where it all collapses and the fellowship brakes<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This scene is one of my favourites in the book! In the film i found it interesting.<BR>When i shut my eyes , what i recalled of it, is Frodo standing nearby a huge broken head statue which make me oddly think of the liberty statue in the planets of apes ( lol! ok, ok<BR>i should stop the cafeine!)<BR>Sean Bean did a nice job playing a smooth -tongued Boromir which gives to his betrayal a dramatic dimension * shivers*<BR>I have the feeling from my pov, the scene depends on Boromir's acting and behaviour and i was more sensitive for that character in the movie than in the book.<BR>This scene seems to foreshadow very well the heartbreaking scene of Boromir's death.<BR>Whereas in the book, from my pov the action is mainly based on frodo's feeling and pov, his deep distress understanding the ineluctable break of the fellowship<BR>and the evil work of the ring consumming Boromir and, if nothing is done, all his closed friends.<BR>That makes for the reader, Frodo's woe and "sacrifice" more touching.<P>That's all folks for today <P>Welcome to the Downs, Iaurlachien and happy posting!!!!!

Nee, ai****ara
Old 08-21-2002, 03:47 PM   #6
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Gandalf=Sean Connery<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually I believe this could be true. It is said that Sean Connery was infact offered the role of the Grey Pilgrim. He turned it down however because the proposed time for filming (half of what it actually turned out to be), was too long to be away from his family. It was then given to Ian McKellen.<P>It seems highky unlikely that it should have been given to Connery as McKellen is more fitting to the character. However I suppose if everyone's ideal Gandalf was included we would have either many grey wizard's, or one with mulitple personalities...
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 08:11 PM   #7
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Actually I believe this could be true. It is said that Sean Connery was infact offered the role of the Grey Pilgrim. He turned it down however because the proposed time for filming (half of what it actually turned out to be), was too long to be away from his family. It was then given to Ian McKellen.<P>It seems highky unlikely that it should have been given to Connery as McKellen is more fitting to the character. However I suppose if everyone's ideal Gandalf was included we would have either many grey wizard's, or one with mulitple personalities...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You know I am <B>SO</B> glad that Connery turned down the role because now that I have seen FOTR, to me Ian McKellen is and <B>ALWAYS</B> will be Gandalf! <P>Sean Connery may have the voice of a king (IMHO) but can anyone of you really imagine his voice shouting out what Gandalf said to the Balrog on the Bridge of Khazad Dum:<P>"You cannot pass! I am a servant of the Secret Fire, Wielder of the flame of Anor. Dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udûn. Go back to the shadow! You shall not pass!!"<P>Where I think of that scene I hear Ian McKellen's voice, not Sean Connery's!<P>
Old 08-22-2002, 06:29 AM   #8
stone of vision
Haunting Spirit

The Eye

Greetings Gorothlammothiel, Arathiriel <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It seems highky unlikely that it should have been given to Connery as McKellen is more fitting to the character. <BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Being an actor and not a catalogued actor shouldn' t be easy. Who would know what kind of Gandalf Connery would have made?<BR>For my part, when I think of him, that's J.Bonds 007, Aston martin and spy stuffs i imagined, so many millions miles and times away from FOTR, duh?<BR>I can aslo remember Connery playing King Arthur and the Highlander's mentor, and yes i think he could have been a great king in ME.<BR>I think he really has so much Energy of life and Passion in his playing which may suit more the human kindred than the grey shades maiars...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> However I suppose if everyone's ideal Gandalf was included we would have either many grey wizard's, or one with mulitple personalities... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Ian McKellen is and ALWAYS will be Gandalf! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Those thoughts lead me to another question:<BR>Having seen the movie, don't you think , Jackson's vision will have a great influence on the way we imagine LOTR the book?<BR>When you read the book, Do your mind tend to picture the characters or the place like in the movie?<P>From my pov, i would say yes, except maybe for Arwen, i found a bit too warior -ish and not enough " elvish" ( not that i don't like her portrayal by liv, in fact i like in the movie but it doesn't fit with my thinking in the book)<BR>and Boromir who is different in the book and the movie, more " likeable" in the movie than in the book.<BR>I had a hard time with Aragorn too, finding Viggo too young, but the more i watche the movie and the more Viggo becomes Aragorn.<P>And what about the places!!! The autumnal Rivendell, the out of time Lorien with that fantastic flying tree city of Caras Galadhon,<BR>the green and " homely" land of the shire, the guts of Orthanc and his tower and of course the epic and dark Moria.<BR>I'm in awe, the only thing my brain could do is making them, brighter, darker, beautifuler...<P>Nz is a being a magnificent land, i wished i could spend some vacations visiting it! i would research the places where LOTR was filmed lol!<BR>Unfortunatly i've heard, the shire scenery is being removed what a pity for all fans !<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"You cannot pass! I am a servant of the Secret Fire, Wielder of the flame of Anor. Dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udûn. Go back to the shadow! You shall not pass!!"<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Arathiriel thanks so much for the quote, truly one of my favourites with his speach about pity and gollum ( in the moria in the movie, at bag end in the book), and in the front of a well of moria, growling to Pipin:<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!" -Gandalf <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh my, that's your signature! ...i couldn't resist... <BR>lol! Gandalf we love you!

Nee, ai****ara
Old 08-23-2002, 12:48 PM   #9
Dimaldaeon
Wight

Dimaldaeon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Dimaldaeon Send a message via AIM to Dimaldaeon
Sting

I loved the Last Allience, it's a pity more of it wasn't shown (Like the fact that it lasted 7 years). <BR>I heard the Jackson didn't want to cast Connery as Gandalf because he didn't want to pick an actor that everyone wanted, he wanted an actor who could play the part perfectly.<BR>(I still laugh every time I think of Gandalf saying "The ring must be destroyed" in a thick Scottish accent)

You're not drunk if you can still hold onto a blade of grass to stop yourself from falling off the face of the Earth
Dimaldaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 09:30 AM   #10
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Hullo Stone of Vision!<P>For me, it is just like you said: having seen the movie (several times), of course it influences the way I picture LotR as a book. It`s inevitable, I guess!<BR>The landscape and the scenary are just like I had imagined them before, anyhow. (That`s probably because this was based on Alan Lee`s and John Howe`s illustrations) Gandalf was also exactly as I had seen him in my mind. Of Frodo I had no clear picture before the movie, but now he will forever have Elijah Wood`s face and his soulful eyes.<BR>About Aragorn and Boromir I feel exactly like you . I had pictured them somewhat different, but they played so well and convincing that I now see Viggo Mortensen and San Bean when thinking about Aragorn and Boromir.<p>[ August 25, 2002: Message edited by: Guinevere ]
Old 08-25-2002, 09:43 AM   #11
legolaslover259

Silmaril

Hello!<P>I agree with what you are saying, whenever I read the book the characters look like the actors in the film...thats probably because I saw the film before I read the book! it was the film that got me interested in LOTR...
Old 08-25-2002, 02:43 PM   #12
stone of vision
Haunting Spirit

The Eye

Dimaldaeon <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I loved the Last Allience, it's a pity more of it wasn't shown (Like the fact that it lasted 7 years). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You are right , but it was an interesting way to introduce the LOTR saga. What a great battle scene! very good promises for the T2T<BR>I was impressed by the special effects there, and intelligent use of computing, well done PJ!<BR>Sauron embodiement was impressive too, with a Gothic side very dreadful!<BR>I like the costums and armors very much, the orc ones and the elvish ones as well the men's one ( hey if i could have an elf warrior helmet, i would be delighted )<BR>Love the scene where Sauron entered the battle with his bludgeon, swift on on side, swift on the other and poors warriors are flying away.... he knows how to empty a place<BR>that creature? !!!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> (I still laugh every time I think of Gandalf saying "The ring must be destroyed" in a thick Scottish accent)<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Hahaha, my name is ...the Grey, G ( andalf) the Grey...lol! i can pefectly imagine it! Very amusing picture

Nee, ai****ara
Old 08-25-2002, 03:06 PM   #13
stone of vision
Haunting Spirit

The Eye

Hi Guinevere <BR>Nice to see you posting <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Of Frodo I had no clear picture before the movie, but now he will forever have Elijah Wood`s face and his soulful eyes.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>For me Elijah really became Frodo in the scene where the fellowship finally succeeds to escape the moria after loosing Gandalf.<BR>The Grieve scene is heartbreaking, so much, pain, sorrow and the Strider asked everyone to stand up and hailed Frodo:<BR>the Frodo who was a standing , delicate and small figure, turning his angelic face devasted by tears drop from his innermost self for the ones he loves, but still standing to fulfill his cruel destiny willy-nilly, that was MY Frodo!<P>Ps: how old is your son? I'm also totally crazy about mangas

Nee, ai****ara
Old 08-25-2002, 03:08 PM   #14
stone of vision
Haunting Spirit

The Eye

legolaslover259 , Welcome and Well met in the BD forum<P>I'm very glad to welcome you for your first post <BR>Happy " newly decesased" ( affectionate term )<P>Hope you will enjoy the Forum as much as I am and post a lot!!!!!<P>Have you finished to read the trilogy? or maybe are you waiting for T2T in movie before reading the book?<BR>Whatever i can promise a wonderful journey in ME with both of them, each of them different in a certain way<BR>but always magic!!<P>Have a lot fun, enjoy the threads and see you the BD boards

Nee, ai****ara
Old 08-26-2002, 10:41 AM   #15
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Sting

Frodo will always have those "glowing" blue eyes and that softface. Gandalf will always have that face.<BR>Anyone different? Hm.....<P>I always imagined Galadriel differently. More friendly, more beautiful. (Though Cate Blanchett could easily do that)<P>The Ringwraiths were really diferent from what I've always imagined. (I though of shadows on horses, not armor.)<P>But anyway that's all I can think of for now.