The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #81
Morwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Morwen has just left Hobbiton.
The following passage from the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen is moving:

"But let us not be overthrown at the final test, who of old renounced the Shadow and the Ring. In sorrow we must go, but not in despair. Behold! We are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory. Farewell!"

"Estel, Estel!" she cried, and with that even as he took her hand and kissed it, he fell into sleep. Then a great beauty was revealed in him, so that all who after came there looked on him in wonder; for they saw that the grace of his youth, and the valour of his manhood, and the wisdom and majesty of his age were blended together. And long there he lay, an image of the splendour of the Kings of Men in glory undimmed before the breaking of the world."
Old 10-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #82
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
About all the quotes that really shake me are put up already. I'll just add a few; I don't have the books on me right now, so I'll paraphrase:

...But the seeds of lie, planted by Morgoth, will continue to grow and bring crops...
(end of the Silmarillion)

Oh twice beloved! A Turin Turambar, turun ambarthanen! (oh Turin, Concouror of Fate, by fate concoured!)
(Nienor Niniel's words to Turin before juping into Teiglin)

Galadriel's description of what she will be if Frodo gave her the Ring, and the last sentence: "I've made my choice. I shall sail over the Sea and remain Galadriel"

Thus, I have fulfilled my oath.
(Finrod, when saving Beren, just before death)

And at that time there was no grief grated than the grief of the maia Melian
(when Melian discovers that Luthien became mortal)

I will not say, do not cry, for not all tears are for evil.
(Gandalf's last words in ME)

this one is more comic, than serious, but I like it nevertheless:
Do not ever laugh at a live dragon!
(Bilbo's thoughts after his dialogue with Smaug)

That is a lot! And I would include into my list most of the quotes that were already mentioned! To tell you the truth, I think that there is no unimportant line in any of Tolkien's books, even though some are more significant or evident than others.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #83
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
When I think about it, there is a powerful line on every other page in The Sil, and about 10 lines in each chapter in LOTR. Quite a long list that makes!
Old 12-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #84
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
For myself, I have always been quite moved by Gandalf's remark to Frodo concerning life, death, and pity. And I have also been moved by his comments:

Quote:
"Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set; uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule."
Quote:
"We must walk open-eyed into that trap, with courage, but small hope for ourselves. For, my lords, it may well prove that we ourselves shall perish utterly in the black battle far from the living lands; so that even if Barad-dūr be thrown down, we shall not live to see a new age. But this, I deem, is our duty. And better so than to perish nonetheless -- as we surely shall, if we sit here -- and know as we die that no new age shall be."
And in the Silmarillion, for me it has to be Ilśvatar's statement:

Quote:
"And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined."
Old 12-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #85
Alcuin
Haunting Spirit

Alcuin has just left Hobbiton.
After the Battle of Azanulbizar, Thrįin, who had lost an eye during the battle, proclaimed to the combined armies of the Seven Houses of the Dwarves, “Good! We have the victory. Khazad-dūm is ours!” The Dwarves replied,
Quote:
Durin’s Heir you may be, but even with one eye you should see clearer. We fought this war for vengeance, and vengeance we have taken. But it is not sweet. If this is victory, then our hands are too small to hold it.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote