The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2004, 03:52 PM   #1
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
White Tree LotR sayings can fit any where!

I was recently at a friend`s house watching FotR. We were eating those little cup-cake things that come in individually wrapped packages. I couldn`t get one open, so my friend waved her hands around it and said, " Mellon!", in a deep voice that sounded something like Gandy`s. It was lame yet funny. (Something only an LotR obsessed person would understand.) Little things like this often pop up when I`m with friends. Do you guys/girls ever do things like this? Maybe my friends and I are just weird.
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 04:14 PM   #2
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
Shield

And I thought that I was the only person who did the 'Mellon' thing. Tee hee, you do it too? Well, being that I am very odd, that might not be a good thing for you, however.

But I do quote LOTR, POTC, Matrix, and Star Wars all the time, and pointlessly too... snrk. How about this one? Whenever you get something new, in your best Gollum voice, you go "My prrrrrreciousssssssss. It came to me, my own, my love..." Or, when your sister does something new, and well, something that you didn't expect "The world is changed..."

And how about this? You're with your best friends going to Youth Quake, and your youth group leader gets so fed up with hearing FOTR that she makes you quote Bible verses, being as you have just quoted all of the LOTR prologue, complete with sound effects, and were going into the Shire scenes too... She did get rather annoyed once we made it to Bilbo's birthday party... and forced us to shut up, snrk...

-Eowyn Skywalker
Eowyn Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 02:08 PM   #3
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Of course, every day. I say 'Mellon' at my work when the door closes in front of me and refuses to budge (You know those automatic doors? Foul creations so they are).

My other favourite is when I'm cooking bacon. When else do you get to utter the single best line in the entire movie trilogy?

"NICE CRISPY BACON!" (Oh Brandybuck you crack me up!)
Old 04-25-2004, 02:29 PM   #4
Gothmog
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gothmog has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Gothmog
My prrrreciuosssssss, that's one of my favourites. An other: whenever I hear about mushrooms i hear a little voice saying (in a scottish accent) Ah, mushrooms. I'm not that good at imitating it though, so most often I keep quiet.

He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom
~Lurker...
Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 08:13 PM   #5
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I say "My precious" all the time! Not exactly. There are certain times I really feel like Gollum, then I'll grab something I like and say in a phony Gollum-voice, "My preciousss." I scare myself at times.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:06 AM   #6
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Thorongil
I like the "my precious". I do it all the time. I have never tried the Mellon thing though. Maybe I should, and see if anyone understands it.
I have another one. Some places where I live, the roads aren't too broad, and if a car comes we have to get off it. So when I'm walking with people along the road when a car comes, you'll hear me "Get off the road!" in a Frodoish style. Kind of funny.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:52 AM   #7
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

nynnd1 has just left Hobbiton.
The one I find myself doing alot is the Gandalf line.

"No, just Tea!"

It's always good.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:23 AM   #8
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nimrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I do the "mellon" thing with automatic doors all the time; when I was younger I used to say "Open Sesame!" can you tell I read stories from "The Arabian Nights?"
Old 04-26-2004, 08:42 AM   #9
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Yes, Gandalf's 'tea' line is another oft quoted line in my house.

As is "Not listening!" accompanied by Gollum's trademarked hands-on-ears routine! (whenever someone reminds me of something unpleasant)
Old 04-26-2004, 08:54 AM   #10
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
I'm not so much of a mellon man...with me, I'm usually in a mock-angry-Gandalf mood when the key won't fit properly in a door or whatever, so I go "Edro, edro! Open, open!" One of my fav Moria lines too.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:09 AM   #11
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Olorin, you have just reminded me that it is "edro!" that I say too, not "mellon". I got confused.

Whenever I see someone run I shout at them "Noro lim, Asfaloth!"
Old 04-26-2004, 09:26 AM   #12
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

When we play games, I do Saruman: we must join with him, (fill in the blank), we must join with the green team.
And I used to do the Open Seseme to doors, until I fell in love with mellon, and edro.
The newest one is to shout 'DARO' at anyone who comes close to me. Meaning halt, of course.
And I do nora lim all the time... tee hee.
I also use 'And all shall love me and despair' whenever my sibling are bugging me... snrk.

-Eowyn Skywalker
Old 04-26-2004, 12:17 PM   #13
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nimrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Whenever I'm playing in an organized sport (like soccer or basketball) I always shout "Khazad! Khazad-aimenu! Baruk-khazad!" at the opposing player I happen to be trying to steal the ball from. If I'm pressed for time I just shout "Khazad-aimenu!" In track I always yell "Noro lim, (insert name), noro lim!"
I've just started doing this one: whenever I have a pop quiz in a class I say "Wicked, tricksy, false (insert teacher's name)! You promissssed us that we wouldn't have a quiz; gollum, gollum! We hates you, we hates you forever!" Needless to say, that last part is usually muttered under my breath. Of course I also do the "My Prrrreciousssss" thing all the time; for some reason it seems to annoy my friends. I almost forgot about this one: my English teacher decided to switch the seating arrangement in his room, and once everyone had found their new spot and sat down I said (in my best Galadriel voice), "The world is changed." Unfortunately, not that many people got it, or they just gave me weird looks. Oh well, at least my totally-obsessed-with-LotR-slightly-a-Leggy-bopper-friend got it.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:01 PM   #14
Lhundulinwen
Wight

Lhundulinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lhundulinwen Send a message via MSN to Lhundulinwen Send a message via Yahoo to Lhundulinwen
Silmaril

I think everyone does the 'my precious' thing!! At least I do. I like the 'You shall not pass!' line from Moria, "Mutton yesterday, mutton today, and blimey, if it don't look like mutton again tomorrow," I say in the lunch line a lot, and my all time favorite LOTR quotes are of course "Mercy," cried Gandalf, "What more do you what to know?""The names of all the stars and of all living things and whole history of Middle-earth and Over-heaven and of the Sundering Seas," laughed Pippin, "Of course! What less?" and 'The road goes ever on...' song.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:07 PM   #15
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

On friday, my english teacher was gone, and they, for some inane reason, did not send a substitute, and so it was thirty teenagers with no supervision for an hour.

Two weirdos were talking about asking a neighboring teacher about it, but I got up and said threateningly:

"Gondor has no Sub, Gondor needs no Sub."

They looked at me funny, but my friend laughed because she knew.

Also, I talk in a smeagol voice all the time, and yell at people to:

"Get thee gone and take thy due place!"

Fun times.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 04:07 AM   #16
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

nynnd1 has just left Hobbiton.
Whenever I need to get somewhere fast and im getting a lift, I usually use the line,

"Show me the meaning of haste"

I get some funny looks but I know what i'm on about.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:20 AM   #17
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
phrases like "You will suffer me" are legendary, i use it often but not too often.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:03 AM   #18
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Pipe

I am actually blessed with a fair circle of folk who enjoy LOTR, to a greater or lesser degree.

One day the humorous teasing had risen to a rather intense pitch, and my at my husband's repartee I was vanquished. So I curled up on the couch and whimpered: "Cruel men hurtss uss. Masster betrays uss!" It got a good general laugh.

*All* the men in the group are fishermen; you can imagine; 'nough said. Except that i am not overly fond of fisssh myself. "Give me chipss now, and keep nassssty fissssh."

When discussing something nassty: "And they doesn't taste very good, does they preciouss?"
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:26 AM   #19
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I guess this only applies to me and Boromir'sgirl, but any time somebody says, "Oh, that (whatever) is a piece of crap" or whatever, I say "No! It is a gift from the foes of Mordor!"

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:49 AM   #20
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye hehhe

No I do the same thing. I love to randomly quote Lotr. I forget what the person said, but it was something about a long time and I quoted Leggy from the books saying "500 times have the red leave fallen in Mirkwood, in my home, since then and but a little while does that seem to us." Yeah, I tend to get weird looks...
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:02 PM   #21
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I like "What is this new devilry?" when receiving some new chore or assignment. And alterations of Pippin's line "...mission...quest...thing." That one's very versitile, I love it. ^__^

Another favorite (though I get in trouble for saying to my brother) is "You don't have any friends! Nobody likes you!" Can be used with or without Gollum-type voice.

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 04-27-2004, 12:29 PM   #22
NightKnight
Lost among the Stars

NightKnight has just left Hobbiton.
I can usually connect almost anything to Tolkien. Just a few examples: When the doors of a train were about to open, I said "Open the gate!". Or when my mum spoke of something that was a few years younger than her, it just had to be "Very good year, almost as old as I am!". I also call my girlfriend "My Precious".
Old 04-27-2004, 01:02 PM   #23
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire_Flame
I like "What is this new devilry?" when receiving some new chore or assignment. And alterations of Pippin's line "...mission...quest...thing." That one's very versitile, I love it. ^__^

Another favorite (though I get in trouble for saying to my brother) is "You don't have any friends! Nobody likes you!" Can be used with or without Gollum-type voice.

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Aaaah!!! Nooo!!!! The 3-year-old-ification of Gollum!!! :'(

Another good one is "They are coming." Nobody has to be coming, it just sounds ominous.

Also, since my 2 best friends and I usually hang out together, Three Hunters quotes come in handy.

Old 04-27-2004, 02:24 PM   #24
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
1420!

When I put on a vest (almost every day lately): "Where's his weskit? I don't hold with Ironmongery, whether it wears well or no."
Old 04-27-2004, 02:49 PM   #25
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Another good one is "They are coming." Nobody has to be coming, it just sounds ominous.
Heh, I do that *sometimes* too. Okay, a lot!

Today, I dropped my socks on the ground before I went downstairs so that I could go brush my teeth. When I came back, they were gone. When I hunted them down, I found my sister wearing them. (Don't worry, there IS a point to this little story...it is coming...). She said she thought I dropped them and I said, (here it is) "Not idly do the socks of Sirithheruwen's room fall!" (Yes, I do call myself Sirithheruwen.) Okay, maybe there wasn't a point to this...
Old 04-27-2004, 03:21 PM   #26
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

Pointlessness is good. Whenever a sibling snitches sometihng of mine, I do this: "Surrender the *fill in blank with whatever* in a phony wraith tone. Or whenever a friend comes over, in a Galadriel voice "Welcome *whoever* of the Shire *or wherever*. One who has seen the eye!"

Yeah, I am rather odd. And pointless, but my best friend copywrited that word.... erk...

I quote randomly! It's fun. Are you frightened?

-Eowyn Skywalker
Old 04-27-2004, 03:35 PM   #27
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

Just today I said this:

"Yea, I will drink thy frappucino gladly, so that I may forget the food of school, and the unsweetened chocolate of Anar (my friend) given in prank. I will drink thee swiftly."

It's a long story. I have some odd friends.

Another one I say is:

"Don't make me get my minions of the dark Void!"

That one's not a quote, but it's funny anyway.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 08:18 AM   #28
NightKnight
Lost among the Stars

NightKnight has just left Hobbiton.
I use "They're here" with Frodo's creepy voice sometimes. And of course, some random quoting. For some reason some of my friends think that's annoying.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:25 PM   #29
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Very interesting, NightKnight. But I say "They've come" in freaky Frodo voice, and then usually fall into "Ash nazg... ash ightlayabersay...." And no, you wouldn't get that. But the last piece was pig latin... tee hee... it's an odd inside joke.

I don't know why people find things like that annoying... sigh.

-Eowyn Skywalker
Old 04-28-2004, 04:13 PM   #30
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

LIght Saber...ha, yes, I know pig latin (fluently!). My friends and I have always wondered what annoyed people so much about that. Are you sure you are not within my wittle circle of buddies?!?! That would be weird! *peers closesly at avatar, trying to see through it* Okay, that didn't work!
Old 04-28-2004, 04:58 PM   #31
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Silmaril Wow! I`ve never had one of my own posts get so big! (seriously)

I often say alot quotes like these! Odd friends are great, aren`t they? You guys are! I consider you my "friends away from friends".
Anyway, "What is this new devilry?", has to be one of my all time favorites.
By the way Sirithheruwen, I love your siggy!
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 07:36 PM   #32
Lindir
Haunting Spirit

Lindir has just left Hobbiton.
My family was about to eat dinner, but the food just came out of the oven. Right after I put it in my mouth, I yelled out. "It burns us!!!!" my family looked at me like a weirdo or somethin'
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey!Or he will not slay thee in thy turn.He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.
Lindir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 07:15 AM   #33
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sometimes, when a bird flies just overhead (which happens about 12 times a minute where I live, The Seagull Capital Of The World) I scream out "Wraiths! Wraiths on wings! They will find us!"

And in response to the millions of people who have asked a question along the lines of "Am I odd?", the answer is;

"Yes! You are all strange!" Does that make you happy?
Old 04-29-2004, 07:38 AM   #34
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Thorongil
Why don't you do the "Crebain from Dunland!" That seems to fit quite well too.

And I don't mind being strange. I like it. I haven't met a single person that could give me the definition of normal.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:47 PM   #35
Miriel Undomiel
Wight

Miriel Undomiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Miriel Undomiel
White Tree

Today when I left for school, I said to my mother: I leave you now, at the turn of the tide!
And then I dramatically left the room.

I'm very odd, I'll admit it! But odd is fun!!!!!

One of my friends can't stand me doing (or talking about, for that matter) LotR related stuff. I, ofcourse, just quote even more.

I've tried to make my dog sit when I say havo dad, but for some funny reason she doesn't understand Elvish...

~*~Namarie~*~

Oh, wait! This was my 100th post! Yay for me!!!!!

Last edited by Miriel Undomiel; 04-29-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Miriel Undomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:53 PM   #36
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hama Of The Riddermark has just left Hobbiton.
I once said "This is a good study guide. Thomas, there is always hope" to someone revising for a physics test...
Hama Of The Riddermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 03:07 PM   #37
Miriel Undomiel
Wight

Miriel Undomiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Miriel Undomiel
White Tree

And then there is ''Yeah right! When Balrogs fly!''

When I get mad at someone, I call them 'retarded cave troll'...

And for all the 'Edro', 'Daro' and 'Mellon' ones: Me too!
I think all LotR-freaks does that... It's in our blood...
Old 04-29-2004, 03:38 PM   #38
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Wow Saraphrim, that's the best quote ever!!

"Where issss it...?" is a good one...in fact, anything in a Gollum voice is.

Me and a friends used to sing the Ent's song (when they march on Isengard) as well as A! ELbereth Gilthoniel a lot...and I mean a lot.

Old 05-01-2004, 06:40 PM   #39
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
White Tree

Quote:
I haven't met a single person that could give me the definition of normal.
Me either. People tend to give me strange looks when I ask anyway. But that isn't very noteworthy, I get a lot of strange looks.

"What new devilry is this?" is one of my favorites. "Hurry Hobbitses" when I want people to get moving is a good one too. What's scary is that you aren't even thinking about it and you are talking to someone and you wonder why something you said sounded familiar and realize it was from LotR.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 08:38 PM   #40
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

When being overloaded with homework:
"Why do you lay these troubles on an already troubled mind?" (I really have said that, quite loudly, to a teacher)