The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2002, 10:44 PM   #41
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey, I live in Oklahoma too!! What a tiny world!!!
Old 06-02-2002, 08:24 AM   #42
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've gone back to this after a couple of days to try and get more of the essence of me across but don't know if I'll be successful. I am still dull no matter what I add, just so you know.
Name (that you go by):Auriel in most places.
Future Aspirations: Get my novel published and beyond that as long as I'm happy I have no other desires.
Goal in life:See above plus my other novels in note form to be written up (I have a readership of 4 at the moment who are waiting with baited breath for my next book and they're not making fun of me either!).
Short term goals:Arrange to visit my Slovak friend who's living in Vienna. (And see above, lots of begging letters to publishers over the next few months I think.)
Passion:LOTR, writing (but it's never fantasy), soccer (support no one in particular just love the sport), various artists, movies (have rapidly increasing DVD collection, into Japanese esp. Have you seen Audition? Shall We Dance?) being outside on sunshiny summer days but not here in the city.
Hobbies:Writing, reading, sewing, painting, playing tennis, watching soccer, researching saxon and viking history/myths, also love Arthurian legends and Robin Hood, and collect DVD as already mentioned.
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Nothing much. I met Sean Bean once and my mate is Orlando Bloom's second cousin but I am famous for absolutely nothing; I'm too quiet and too dull, but if the book gets published you'll be the first to know.(Oh I've also met Miles Hunt of The Wonder Stuff and he said it was a pleasure but yet again that isn't something I'm famous for!) Among my friends I'm famous for dressing like an elf as if it's normal. My dad works at Hogwarts!(Honestly, he is the archival photographer at Alnwick Castle which is used as Hogwarts in the movies when they play Quidditch.)

Fave book:LOTR and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
Fave movie:Get Carter, The Crow, The Piano and of course 'Fellowship' plus various Japanese ones, Sleepy Hollow, Blade Runner, the Empire Strikes Back, I could go on for days!
Fave sport:Tennis to play, soccer to watch but in truth not very sporty.
Fave store:Hate shopping I make my own clothes or shop under duress.
Fave music:The Wonder Stuff, The Smiths, Depeche Mode and I'm beginning to like Nickelback.

What you can't stand:Racism.
What you plain dislike:smoking and hate.
Who you admire:No one in particular.
What you most love to do:travel and be outside walking and imagining.
Your self-confessed flaws:I am too quiet and then when I do speak I ramble and am very dull. I spend too much time on the internet.
What intrigues/fascinates you: intelligence and men who can wield swords.
What scares you:myself when drunk (I get aggressive)
Quotation to live by:Carpe Diem

Additional comments:I get on with men better than girls but I don't know why. Perhaps they are more tolerant of eccentricity? What do other postees think?

That's it, finished. Lordy, I'm boring. I promise I'm a friendly person to make up for it.

[ June 04, 2002: Message edited by: Auriel Haevasawen ]

[ June 04, 2002: Message edited by: Auriel Haevasawen ]
Old 06-02-2002, 09:09 AM   #43
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

wow, thanks everyone for your interesting replies! I've enjoyed reading about you and getting a little insight into your lives. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

By the way...
Quote:
Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once.
Of all the ownders that I yet have heard,
It seems to me most strange that men should fear,
Seeing that death, a necessary end,
Will come when it will come
--Julius Caesar in "Julius Caesar"
Shakespeare's a genius! Julius Caesar has some great quotes in it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 10:08 AM   #44
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Auriel, I like your taste in good music [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 10:11 AM   #45
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Auriel, you're not alone on the getting along with boys part. And you're not boring either. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
He was actually acting, as opposed to, uh, scowling
I agree. I liked The Fifth Element a lot...The Sixth Sense scared me too much [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

Oh, and Jessica Jade, you haven't even read Dune yet! That's my quote! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Joy, if I grow up to major in computer science, could I work in your company? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 10:55 AM   #46
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Name (that you go by): Catherine in the mortal world, Ithaeliel here, Kitty anywehre else.
Future Aspirations: To graduate with high honors, write a true fantasy novel & publish it (while I'm still young), be successful out of HS and college, live independently and have a cat named Pippin.
Goal in life: To be a well-known fantasy author and/or professional violinist
Short-term goals: To survive my finals and have a wonderful summer and great ninth-grade year!
Passion: Any high fantasy (esp. Tolkien- big wow), violin, writing, drawing, singing, dreaming, being w/ friends, etc.
Hobbies: See above
Famous for: Being first chair violinist and being in Honors Orchestra, singing like Enya (heeheehee) and LOUD SOPRANO!!! and drawing (I don't show my writings to many people)

Fave book: The Hobbit and Dragonwings
Fave movie: LotR: FotR (so far), Miss Congeniality, Shrek, The Last Unicorn
Fave sport: Er, track and basketball
Fave store: Hot topic
Fave music: From Nirvana to Beethoven, baby (actually, it's just hard rock & classical and Celtic)
What you can't stand: People who talk behind your back, people who seem sweet but when you become their friend they are really b*tchy, discrimination against other cliques and races, shallow-minded individuals, dogs that slobber a LOT, thinking about immense suffering and death
What you plain dislike: Biased teachers, when people dont clean up a huge mess they made, dead batteries, trafficky internet
Who you admire: Tolkien, my friend Jennie, and my History teacher.
What you most love to do: Be here!!! and write.
Self-confessed flaws: Paranoid, sometimes annoying, shy, arachnaphobia, agoraphobia
What intrigues/fascinates you: The imagination and its limitless possibilities
What scares you: Failure, spiders, evil (and I mean truly evil, not funny evil) people, Wiccen spells, abuse
Quotations to live by: Treat others as you would wish to be treated, imagination is more important that knowledge, gravity cannot be held responsible for people falling in love, The Lord's Prayer
Additional comments: I will never smoke or do drugs! And also i will never drink wine; it is much too complicated.

[ June 02, 2002: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 11:31 AM   #47
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can´t believe I forgot to mention racism in "I can´t stand"! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] Oh well, no one´s perfect... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] (Probably forgot loads more...oh yeah, biking is another interest..)
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 01:20 PM   #48
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dragongirl - sure thing! I wish you the best in all that you do, even if it is not computer science.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 01:22 PM   #49
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Ithaeliel, we have so much in common! I have a severe case of agoraphbia and arachnaphobia (the spelling may not be right) and I draw too, but never show anyone. And most importantly, I always wanted to have a cat named Pippin!! If not Pippin, then Aragorn. I just thought those names were cute for a cat.
Old 06-02-2002, 10:26 PM   #50
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Name (that you go by):Hey, You!
Future Aspirations: Going to bed before 11:30
Goal in life: same
Short term goals: leaving my mother-in-law speachless
Passion: Singing
Hobbies: Rubber stamping
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): I'm Famous? WOW! I'm glad you told me!

Fave book: LOTR
Fave movie: 6days 7nights, while you were sleeping
Fave sport: hiking
Fave store: I've never been to any but the grocery store.
Fave music:ummm...

What you can't stand: moles in my garden
What you plain dislike: isn't that the same thing?
Who you admire: my husband
What you most love to do:go for really long walks
Your self-confessed flaws: pretending I can't hear my mother-in-law
What intrigues/fascinates you: wildlife
What scares you: driving in Seattle
Quotation to live by:Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and love your neighbor as yourself.

Additional comments: favorite food: coffee

[ June 03, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 06-03-2002, 02:17 AM   #51
goldwine
Haunting Spirit

goldwine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Must be Orald...I have seen the cartoon!
Old 06-03-2002, 08:05 AM   #52
Aosama, the Wandering Star
Wight

Aosama, the Wandering Star has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"I claim the Fifth"
What?
Aosama, the Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 11:54 AM   #53
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

The fifth amendment. The right to remain silent.
Old 06-03-2002, 12:00 PM   #54
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Name (that you go by): Amber
Occupation: Currently enrolled as a Freshman at Texas A&M University (Yay, now I get to be a finanicial drain!)
Future Aspirations: To become a talented writer
Goal in life: To serve God all my life, have a beautiful family, loving marriage, and to be successful in whatever I end up doing for a living
Short term goals: To read through book #17 in the "Great Books" series, read my art history book, learn basic French and Latin, get through my English grammar book, and read many other miscellaneous books on my list by the end of the summer break.
Passion: Bible study, theology, Tolkien, academia
Hobbies: Reading, studying, swimming, message boards
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Throughout high school I have been known as the nice, smart, shy girl, but people are usually surprised to find out that I am quite opinionated and have a lot to say when they get to know me.

Fave book: The Bible, The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Mere Christianity, pretty much anything by J.R.R. Tolkien or C.S. Lewis
Fave movie:The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings, Life is Beautiful, Star Wars (original trilogy), The Shawshank Redemption
Fave sport: Figure skating
Fave store: Barnes and Noble, practically any book store
Fave music: Classical, Christian Rock groups like Switchfoot, Relient K, and Jars of Clay, and other Christian artists like Rich Mullins and Caedmon's Call

What you can't stand: Racism, when people seem to make it their goal in life to point out how politically incorrect everyone else is, moral relativism, the way pop culture dictates the lives of so many, poor grammar, when people use crazy abbreviations when typing that make their messages hard to decode, when students only go to school because they have to, apathy, when people sell out their beliefs for acceptance
What you plain dislike: The same as above, I guess
Who you admire: My parents and my pastor
What you most love to do: Read a good book
Your self-confessed flaws: I can be prideful of my grades and start feeling superior to others at times. I also have a problem with making fun of people (sometimes it's so tempting).
What intrigues/fascinates you: Languages, theology
What scares you: blood and gore, the lowering standard of education, the lowering moral standards, and the rise in crime
Quotation to live by: I guess the one in my sig:

"And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength. This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these."
-Mark 12: 30-31

Additional comments: I can't think of anything else to say... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ June 03, 2002: Message edited by: ElanorGamgee ]
Old 06-03-2002, 12:04 PM   #55
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Quote:
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Throughout high school I have been known as the nice, smart, shy girl, but people are usually surprised to find out that I am quite opinionated and have a lot to say when they get to know me.
Wow, Elanor, we sound a lot alike. I'm not shy, just quiet. Same Quotation to live by as well.
Old 06-03-2002, 12:10 PM   #56
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I didn't notice that we had the same quote, Raefindel! That's really cool [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2002, 12:19 PM   #57
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
Hey, Nev, I put down action movies! Teehee, I have always thought the third was better than the first, though.
I didn't know what you meant until I saw my brother watching a movie on TV. I thought it was just a coincidence that they had the same first name, but then I realized that it was Die Hard 3! Small world, huh? But I personally liked the first one best.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 12:39 PM   #58
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

Name (that you go by):Thenamir, HE, The Enforcer
Future Aspirations: (1)To live a Godly life. (2)To raise my kids well enough that they can live on their own without calling Dad for money every couple of weeks. (3) To love my kids enough so that they'll call Dad every so often *anyway*. (4) To compose/arrange/perform the music I write.
Goal in life: Soli Deo Gloria.
Short term goals: (1) Get out of debt. (2) Finish the preparations for opening the New BarrowDowns store. (3) Find better ways to keep track of my time.
Passion: (1)God (2)Justice (3) Doing things right the first time (4)Cute li'l kitties (5)Capitalism
Hobbies: Guitar and keyboards, tweaking my computer
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): absolutely nothing

Fave book: Bible, LOTR
Fave movie: FOTR, Unbreakable, The Empire Strikes Back
Fave sport: Figure Skating(to watch), ROllerblading and basketball (to participate)
Fave store: Sam's Club, CompUSA,
Fave music:

What you can't stand: Incompetence, liberalism, people who believe things without examining them to see if they are correct.
What you plain dislike: The biological requirements that make bathrooms necessary.
Who you admire: Ronald Reagan, Michael W. Smith
What you most love to do: Hang out with my wife, sing/play music, write programs that work
Your self-confessed flaws: Perfectionism -- I'm not happy unless it's *exactly* right
What intrigues/fascinates you: Cosmology/Cosmogeny (No burrahobbit, that's not the same as 'cosmetology')
What scares you: The U.S. Congress
Quotation to live by: "...the chief purpose of life, for any one of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all the means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks. To do as we say in the Gloria in Excelsis: ...We praise you, we call you holy, we worship you, we proclaim your glory, we thank you for the greatness of your splendour." - J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 06-03-2002, 03:29 PM   #59
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Sting

Quite frankly I am offended. I am totally down with cosmology. Super strings, all that junk, man. For shame, The. For shame.
Old 06-03-2002, 04:03 PM   #60
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Thenamir, Your "quote to live by" is Great!

May I ask how many kids you have? I have 3. 12, 7, and 6, And I really like Michael W. Smith, too.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:59 PM   #61
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Oh, darn, I forgot to put communism and that hottie Joseph V. Stalin under my "passions" list. Oh, and my favorite colour is red. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ June 03, 2002: Message edited by: Lush ]
Old 06-03-2002, 08:15 PM   #62
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Nevfeniel, I like your scaled-down picture much better.
Old 06-04-2002, 06:51 AM   #63
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lush - are you a communist? Or do you just like communism? If so, I think we have some things in common..... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 07:33 AM   #64
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Thank you, Raefindel. I like my new sig pic better now, too. I have the Barrow-Wight to thank for that. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:32 AM   #65
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

The Barrow-Wight helped you do that? That was nice of him.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:49 AM   #66
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Hehe, he probably got annoyed with how big it was, and when he saw the opportunity to have it cut down to size, he took it as quickly as possible (since I said I had no idea how to shrink it).
Old 06-04-2002, 01:20 PM   #67
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Nev, that picture is so awesome! I want one!!!!!!!!!!

I was really mad yesterday, I missed that thing on the Discovery Channel on Space. Did anyone happen to catch it? Ah, probably not, oh well!
Old 06-04-2002, 02:16 PM   #68
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, after editing my post I sat here and read everything everyone has said so far. What an interesting and varied bunch but so many of us want to be or are, writers. Is is Tolkien's fault or have we always been that way inclined? I have been writing stories since junior (elementary) school and in Secondary (high) school used to pass round excercise books with adventures in them that the other children would read and then return to me on friday to write the next episode over the weekend. I can't think who inspired me in what I wrote about but I liked the idea of the Brontes writing their little books for each other and maybe that's what got me started. I have no idea how good my writing is but the real proof will come with getting it published. I've no idea why I've told you all this, you must wonder what on earth I'm going on about. Sorry, I just needed to share with someone and with so many of you being aspiring or current writers I couldn't think of better people to share with.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:47 PM   #69
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am also surprised by all the aspiring writers on the board, it's great! Granted, I am not one of them! Well, here goes more about me.

Name (that you go by): amy
Future Aspirations: To find my career "calling"
Goal in life: To have fulfilling and lasting relationships/friendships
Short term goals: Enjoy my trip to Europe this August, survive the move to NY, then work on becoming a mom
Passion: my big yellow dog
Hobbies: Going out with friends, Downhill skiing, reading, photography, Tolkien
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Being an identical twin, being a not-so-typical engineer, making the drive from Denver to Vegas in 10.5 hours

Fave book: The Silmarillion and East of Eden by Steinbeck
Fave movie: Better Off Dead, Princess Bride
Fave sport: Downhill Skiing
Fave store: Ann Taylor
Fave music: All kinds, but mostly what my fave radio station refers to as "world-class rock" - Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews, Tracy Chapman, Sonia Dada, etc.

What you can't stand: people's political & moral opinions being influenced by uninformed and under-educated celebrities just because they are rich & famous; human and animal suffering
What you plain dislike: HOT & HUMID weather; people who are always "too busy" to do things with friends, just plain pathetic
Who you admire: My grandfather - born poor & orphaned at a young age, put himself through Yale law school, became a prominent attorney, married the woman of his dreams, and raised 5 successful children. Proves that no matter what your circumstances are, you can rise above them if you are determined to do so. My husband - driven, ambitious, disciplined, bound to be a success. And my sister because she is so Martha Stewart and I am NOT.
What you most love to do: Go out for dinner and drinks with friends.
Your self-confessed flaws: I am anal-retentive and everyone knows it. I'm pretty easy-going until things start veering off the plan... must stick to PLAN! I also think I can be lazy and selfish.
What intrigues/fascinates you: Airplanes - thousands of pounds of metal defying gravity all because of a little wind-displacement? Genetics, twins.
What scares you: lack of education, terrorists, spiders (in a freak-out, panic attack, break down into tears sort-of-way, silly I know but this is a real phobia)
Quotation to live by: "I know we can't all stay here forever, so I want to write my words on the face of today." - these are lyrics from a song, but I don't remember which one or who it's by

Additional comments: Wow, this took me a long time to fill out!!!
Old 06-04-2002, 04:24 PM   #70
Elenya
Haunting Spirit

Location: See that mound of earth? No, no, the one to the left.....There you go
Elenya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenya
Silmaril

Name (that you go by): My parents say that I'm not allowed to give it out online (nag, nag, nag)
Future Aspirations: Go to McGill, be successful, get married, have kids, blah, blah, blah.
Goal in life: Get to know someone famous
(yeah, it's stupid, but doesn't everyone?)
Short term goals: Graduate, keep in touch with my friends (I'm moving), pass 9th grade (It's finals week, aaaaahhhhhh)
Passion: Music. I play piano and clarinet and I would like to learn how to play the trumpet. Tolkien (yeah, baby!)
Hobbies: Soccer, music, reading, the 'Downs, chillin wit ma homies (jk)
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): This year I recieved a Superior rating (4/4 stars) in a Frnch Speaking competition, and I placed 5th in Minnesota and 11th Nationaly for Le Grand Concours, which is a national french exam, in my level.

Fave book: The Princess Bride, Crazy for Cornelia
Fave movie: FOTR, obviously. The Matrix, Life As A House
Fave sport: Soccer and rowing
Fave store: American Eagle
Fave music: Classical, espescially Bach, Mozart and Beethoven

What you can't stand: Mean people, rude people, people with too much to say.
What you plain dislike: Nit-pickers, science
Who you admire: Tolkien: to be able to create an entire world with languages, cultures, and a history
What you most love to do: Sleep, read, listen to music, talk...a lot
Your self-confessed flaws: I procrastinate ENORMOUSLY!! Right now I'm doing a science paper that's due tomorrow. Also I can be a horribly mean person and not even notice it until someone points it out, but I'm getting better!!
What intrigues/fascinates you: The sky, other people
What scares you: snakes, spiders
Quotation to live by: I don't think I need a rubber room, but that might be nice. I'm not a manic-depressive, paranoid, or schizophrenic, so I don't need your advice. Crazy, by the Barenaked Ladies. I've had people ask me what I'm on (nothing, thank you), if I'm mentally ill, etc., etc., but not one word they say is true!!!

Additional comments: None at the moment!
Old 06-04-2002, 05:30 PM   #71
shieldmaiden
Wight

shieldmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

It seems that people like to talk about themselves a lot here. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Well, me to.
Name (that you go by):shieldmaiden
Future Aspirations:to go to academy of arts and become a theatre costume designer
Goal in life: to be indipendent
Short term goals: to have fun this summer (and the rest of my life)
Passion: Tolkien
Hobbies: reading, drawing, sewing,
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself):
very long hair and being fanatical about anything connected to Tolkien
Fave book:LotR, Perfume, The Wyrd Sisters
Fave movie: Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulin, Amarcord
Fave sport: cycling
Fave store: bookstores with booksellers who know their job and
Fave music: Tori Amos, Jazz, rock, movie soundtracks, classical

What you can't stand: people who are slaves to fashion, shallow people and snobs, people who beat up their children and kick dogs in the street, waiting in line for something
What you plain dislike: eating fish
Who you admire: my best friend Aleksandra
What you most love to do: read, sleep, talk with my friends, listen to music
Your self-confessed flaws: being lazy and forgetful
What intrigues/fascinates you:don't know how to say this in english
What scares you: future
Quotation to live by: I don't live by any quotations
Old 06-04-2002, 05:30 PM   #72
Elenya
Haunting Spirit

Location: See that mound of earth? No, no, the one to the left.....There you go
Elenya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenya
Silmaril

And Jessica, love the quote! We just finished Julius Caesar in english , and I loved it!! "Well, Brutus, thy honorable mettle may be wroght(sp?)by that it is disposed"
Old 06-04-2002, 05:42 PM   #73
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Quote:
What you plain dislike: eating fish
Same here! I'm a very picky eater. I don't like seafood, cheese, olives, mayonaise, mustard, onions, and a bunch of other stuff. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2002, 06:08 PM   #74
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

Elenya- yes, Julius Caesar rocks! One of my personal favorites is:
Quote:
Men are at some time masters of their own fates
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings.
and another one i like:
Quote:
For the eye sees not itself
But by reflection
By some other things.
I also have a lot more but there are too many great Shakespeare quotes to name!

++A little disclaimer++
I really don't want to start an argument on this *ducks* because that's not what this thread is about. The following are what I have come to believe, so please, don't be offended and attack me or anything.

Lush--were you serious about the communism, or was that meant to be a joke to all the ones who are opposed to it? I sincerely hope that it was, because...(sorry for all you who are in favor of communism) I am not only strongly opposed, but positively garrulous about the topic! Of course communism sounds like a great idea...and it IS, but only theoretically. The only way it would work is if humans were perfect. But they are not--instead humans are greedy, envious, lazy, and ultimately self-serving. Therefore, communism would never work. And if humans were perfect, there wouldn't even be a need for communism. Not to mention that it destroys the glory of the individual self. Conformity, blind obedience, and self-sacrifice are definitely a major cause of human suffering and destruction. Here's a really great quote from Ayn Rand's Anthem:

Quote:
The word ‘we’ crushes all beneath it, and that which is white and that which is black are lost equally in the gray of it...What is my joy if all hands can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if fools can dictate to me? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree, to obey?
That's my rant for today. I'm sorry that I've gotten waaay off topic but...well, at least now you know me a little better and know that I'm against communism/socialism etc with a PASSION! Again, I really don't want to start a heated argument here...

On a brighter note, I'm so glad to see that there are many classical music lovers like myself here! Most of the people I know (besides people like me who play classical music), think that its drippy and boring and never even give themselves a chance to understand and appreciate the art. It's great that people who love Tolkien are intelligent and appreciate the fine arts.

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 06:52 PM   #75
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Sting

Quote:
The only way it would work is if humans were perfect. But they are not--instead humans are greedy, envious, lazy, and ultimately self-serving.
Not with that kind of attitude, missy! Don't put all of your little hang-ups on me!
Old 06-04-2002, 07:01 PM   #76
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

Raefindel: I have 4 kids, Son 20, daughter 16, daughter 12, and son 11. Daughter 16 goes online by the names Rosie and Ayvniea, Daughter 12 shows up in the chats sometimes as Arrothiel.

Burrahobbit: Your cosmology may be good, but my cosmogeny is more plausible than the Big Bang.

And for some reason, my favorite music got clipped in the original post. Mozart, Handel, Bach, Beethoven, John Williams, Howard Shore, Newsboys, Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman, Third Day, Jars of Clay, Audio Adrenaline, and the great pioneers of Christian Rock: Larry Norman, Rez (Formerly Resurrection Band), Randy Stonehill, Petra, and the amazing Keith Green!

[ June 04, 2002: Message edited by: Thenamir ]
Old 06-04-2002, 08:37 PM   #77
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
I don't subscribe to any particular political ideology. I find the very idea distasteful and, and have much better things to do, such as smoking weed, talking Tolkien, filling out surveys, and finding the right shade of red lipstick to wear to parties. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Oh, and in case anyone is confused, what I put in the end of my sentence is a big, grinning smiley, quite identical to the one in my last post on this thread. The implications of such a smiley are yours to consider.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:44 AM   #78
The-Elf-Herself
Haunting Spirit

The-Elf-Herself has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Okay here goes, more than ANYONE ever wanted to know about me. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Name(that you go by): The-Elf-Herself, Nenebird

Age: I'm young enough that my parents won't let me answer that question [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Occupation: proof-reading my brother's LOTR parody, taking care of my pets

Future Aspirations: hopefully either a veterinarian or an avian handler/trainer,

Goal in Life: to live a life filled with variety and to stay close to God

Short term goals: finish my school log, finish my elf costume, and transpose a song onto manuscript for my flute

Passion: music, animals(especially birds), and reading

Hobbies: I'm a major science fiction/movie junkie, doing crafts, painting, playing flute, singing, animals, walking in the woods, debating

Famous for(okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): my cynical optimism, my knowledge of random/science fiction/movie trivia, my determination to stay unique, my maturtity, my highly opinionated nature, my love of animals, and my procrastination

Fave book(s): Big Trouble-Dave Barry, LOTR-Tolkien, Elske & Dicey's Song-Cynthia Voigt, The Path of the Fury-David Weber, the Bible

Fave movie(s): Fly Away Home, The Fellowship of the Ring, the Matrix, the Patriot, The Mummy Returns, Legally Blonde

Fave sport: Fencing

Fave store: Sunshine Imports, Borders bookstore

Fave music: uh techno, classical, jazz, instrumental, celtic, some New Age, old Christian(Annie Herring, Michael W. Smith)

What you can't stand: people who have an opinion but then don't defend it, animal abusers, ignorance, aloofness without justifiable reason

What you plain dislike: people with large mouths and low intelligence, spiders that are too big to squish, country music(except certain songs by Faith Hill), anything lime-flavored, coconut, smoking, and politically-correctness

Who you admire: Jesus, God

Your self-cofessed flaws: I'm a terrible procrastinator, I am too verbose at times, and I tend to state my opinions at the wrong time to the wrong people

What intrigues/fascinates you: language arts/the history of languages, animal genetics and behaviors, the constant beauty of the world, the opinions people hold and why they hold them

What scares you: nothing really, as long as I stay close to God

Quotation(s) to live by: Come dance while the song is still playing; it won't be long until the silence falls. Life is a gift; don't throw it away.

Additional comments: I respect most people for they are and what they believe; the problem comes when they don't know who they are or what they believe. Y'all have a good one.

[ June 05, 2002: Message edited by: The-Elf-Herself ]

[ June 05, 2002: Message edited by: The-Elf-Herself ]
Old 06-05-2002, 08:55 AM   #79
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Amyrlis-I'm an identical twin too! AND I live in Ny, AND I like The Princess Bride. Good movie, never read the book though. It has to be better though, cuz in most cases books are better than the movies. See, I'm always leaving things out!!! Like for instance, I'm also interested in space, and I get that same phobia of spiders....*shiver*. Even thinking about them is.....ew, must not think of them. And seeing them on tv too freaks me out! I saw Spiderman (even in the title, that should be a big warning) but when I saw it, I had to cover my eyes when they showed those nasty things. I only went to see the movie for the purpose of seeing a certain video at the end! But it never came, so what a waste of $8.75!!!
Also, ok last one, I'm interested in becoming an interior decorator. And I really hate hot and humid weather too, mostly that's why I hate Florida.
Old 06-05-2002, 10:50 AM   #80
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

meep. it seems i happen to fall in the catergory of what irritates a lot of people. and im not actually the phycotic b*tch from h*ll i appear to be. and aboout polotics, the only thing i know about them, is that it is WAY over my head and that Jean Cretian (so wat i spelled it wrong. he doesnt deserve to have it got right.)is an idiot.

[ June 06, 2002: Message edited by: Losthuniel ]
Losthuniel is offline   Reply With Quote