The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2005, 11:29 AM   #161
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Track 17: Isengard Unleashed

The very first thing on the track is Elizabeth Fraser's solo lamenting Haldir:

Quote:
Ar sindarnóriello mornie caita,
Ar ilye tier unduláve lumbule...

'And grey-country-from lies darkness,
And all roads down-licked [the] clouds...'
You'll recognize this from Galadriel's Lament. Sad stuff... poor movie!Haldir. The one problem I have with this is that I think she pronounces 'caita' wrong. According to the Quenya lessons we've been following, the first syllable of 'caita' should rhyme with why and not way. Just nitpicking, though.

The next section seems to have the Fellowship theme at its roots; the brash trumpets signify war more than the original theme does. The Isengard theme grows up underneath it and plays fully at 1:21. The Rohan theme is sounded on trumpet, and then fades.

We then turn to the Ents; the choir begins immediately, and is joined by another solo:

Quote:
Chorus in Sindarin

rithannen i geven [2.18]
thangen i harn
na fennas i daur
ôl dûr ristannen
eryn...

Solo [Ben del Maestro] in Sindarin

...echuiannen [2.58]
i ngelaidh dagrar
ristar thynd, cúa tawar
dambedir enyd i ganed
si linna i 'waew trin 'ylf
Isto i dur i chuiyl
i ngelaidh dagrar

Translation

'Earth shakes
Stone breaks
The forest [is] at [your] door
The dark sleep is broken
The woods...

... have awoken
The trees have gone to war
Roots rend, wood bends
The Ents have answered the call
Through branches now the wind sings
Feel the power of living things
The trees have gone to war'

Word-for-word translation:

'Shaken the earth
broken the stone
at door the forest
sleep dark broken
woods awoken
the trees make-war
rend roots, bends wood
answered Ents the call
now sings the wind through-the branches
have-knowledge [of] the strength of-the living-creatures
the trees make-war'
I love the way the choir builds, joined by both the high solo and the lower mens' voices -- it's like the hobbits and the Ents together, almost. The moving violins under the brass really do give the impression of the chaos that is going on, especially when the dam is broken.

I can't tell what the choir at 4:00 is saying -- is it a repetition of the above? It's difficult for me to make out.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:08 PM   #162
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I like it that they got the same singer to sing Haldir's Lament as the Lothlorien track in FOTR.

The chanting of the choir really suits the march of the ents, it has this urgent feel and even a feeling of hope, that good will be victorious. Again I really like Del Maestro's solo. He's got such a gorfeous voice!

Just like the track before the boy's choir does chanting but they seem different to me.
On track 16 I think it sounds more urgent but in track 17 I think it sounds more desperate.

I really like this track but I think I prefer track 16 of the two.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:38 PM   #163
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Track 18: Samwise the Brave

The opening part of the track is a solo flute (yay!) accompanied by strings. At 0:27, the flute is replaced by a clarinet in a melody that seems related to the Shire theme.

At 0:42, the violins hold a pedal tone over the horns in the same theme we heard in the Breaking of the Fellowship in FotR. This is also a variant of the Shire theme.

At 2:03, the clarinet returns with the original Shire theme.

The strings gradually dominate and then fade away to Gollum's bit of sneaking at 2:59. The low brass under the violins resembles the music we will hear in Shelob's cave in RotK.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:08 PM   #164
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Track 19: Gollum's Song

No response? Oh well.

Here we are, at the last track of the Two Towers soundtrack. I know that like all the credit songs in the movies, people have mixed feelings about this one. Emiliana Torrini is the vocalist here. The first minute and 15 seconds (approximately) are instrumental, with strings on the melody and gentle horns underneath. We then have the vocals. Since it's in English I'm not posting the lyrics, but if you want them they can be found here.

After the vocals, we hear the strings playing the Rohan theme, followed by brass and strings doing what is usually the hardinger solo.

So, what are your thoughts on this song? Do you like it? Or does Torrini's voice get on your nerves, like I know it does to some people? I personally like it a lot, but then again, I like Bjork, whose voice is similar.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:56 PM   #165
The Tennis Ball Kid
Animated Skeleton

The Tennis Ball Kid has just left Hobbiton.
Sorry I haven't been here....

Isengard Uleashed:

The choral Moth theme is beautiful here...but also violent...

Quote:
I love the way the choir builds, joined by both the high solo and the lower mens' voices -- it's like the hobbits and the Ents together, almost.
I really like that.

Samwise The Brave:

We return to the emotional core of the score; the Shire theme....it's not in TTT a lot, but it is here, and it's almost heartbreaking....

Gollum's Song:

I like her voice here, I don't know if I'd listen to her out of the context of this song, but her voice has the right sound for this song....

The instrumental parts are my favorite parts of this track though, the melodies at the start are wonderful, and I love the way they work with the visuals at the end of the film.

And the finale with Eowyn's theme and the Rohan theme makes a great sendoff.

On to ROTK then, eh?

ttbk
The Tennis Ball Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:05 PM   #166
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I can't really say much for this song, except I really, really like it. I like the voice of the vocalist. That's really all I have to say about it.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:59 PM   #167
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sorry, I haven't had much time to go on the Barrowdowns .

Anyway I love the track Samwise the brave because it is some quiet after the storm and before another one. The music is so peaceful and reminds me of Sam's speech. (Which is one of my favourite parts in The Two towers)

I also like Gollum's song. For one the voice fits Gollum to a T and the lyrics are excelent. And the intro is melancholy but I like that because it announces the sad song that follows. Thus it is good that the track ends on a happy note and it reminds us that there is more to come.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:31 AM   #168
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Gollum's song. Hmmm. I think it can't be compared to the awesomeness of May it be and Into the West but as a piece of music, it's very nice. As the credit song of TTT, I don't really like it.

At the end of TTT when the camera raises above trees and shows Mordor, Gollum's song begins. The soft sound of a choir with a terrible and hopeless landscape is a very emotional combination. I get the feeling that Frodo and Sam have just got their courage back but they are clearly walking towards a certain doom. There's no way they could make it.

I'm not actually a fan of Emiliana Torrini's voice but that's not the problem. It's the lyrics that irk me. I don't know about you but I get a little overdose of Gollum in TTT. The whole film is practically all about Gollum. First he's a baddie, then he's scitzophrenic and then he's just a misunderstood chap. The lyrics support the last notion. "No loyal friend was ever there for me..." Huh? Well, if you kill your best friend and move into a cave for a few hundred years, what do you expect? It's also misleading because in RotK it's made pretty clear to us that Gollum isn't that sympathetic character altogether.

About Isengard Unleashed, it's unbelievably beautiful. Love it.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:00 AM   #169
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancing spawn
First he's a baddie, then he's scitzophrenic and then he's just a misunderstood chap. The lyrics support the last notion. "No loyal friend was ever there for me..." Huh? Well, if you kill your best friend and move into a cave for a few hundred years, what do you expect? It's also misleading because in RotK it's made pretty clear to us that Gollum isn't that sympathetic character altogether.
The lyrics are from Gollum's POV, though, and we know we're going to get skewed views with that. Maybe he felt that he was the wronged one since everyone drove him away.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:29 AM   #170
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enca
The lyrics are from Gollum's POV, though, and we know we're going to get skewed views with that. Maybe he felt that he was the wronged one since everyone drove him away.
I know, it just contradicts my view of Gollum. I had a pretty strong mental image of Gollum when I read LotR and the movie-Gollum was pretty far from it.

Anyway, I still think that it's little odd that a few seconds after Gollum has decided to kill Frodo and Sam, a song full of self-pity begins. There's nothing wrong with the piece itself but I think they could have come up with another and better credit song.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:38 AM   #171
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
Anyway, I still think that it's little odd that a few seconds after Gollum has decided to kill Frodo and Sam, a song full of self-pity begins.
Very true.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:32 AM   #172
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

But you have to remember that there were some people in the audience who didn't know about Shelob yet.

Still you've got a point
Old 09-09-2005, 03:08 PM   #173
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

RotK Track 1: A Storm Is Coming

Welcome to the Return of the King! Again, thanks to all who have taken part in this thread. This soundtrack is my favorite of the three because of the wide variety of sounds and emotions, so hopefully we will be able to have some good discussions.

The very first thing we hear is an oboe backed by strings. I would say the the oboe could be "Gollum's instrument" since we have heard it used in the Prologue when he is first introduced -- not sure if it's used elsewhere for the same purpose.

Brass then joins for the Ring theme during the titles, which opens each movie. We are also about to get a little history or backstory, like the beginning of each movie. What is different here is that it's a surprisingly calm scene with sweet hobbity music. (Pity it doesn't last!) There's a flute solo, and then the oboe returns with a plucky little tune.

Deagol is pulled under the water, and at 1:38 we hear the Ring theme on solo violin. I remember sitting in the theater seeing this movie for the first time and thinking how odd and artsy the sound of the violin is. It's really quite different from anything we've heard in the soundtracks before.

The last part is the Mordor theme, featuring a variety of instruments including clarinet, trombone, and tuba. This is not in the movie, but A Magpie's Nest suggests that it was an alternative soundtrack to Smeagol's murder of Deagol, whereas in the movie we only have an eerie sound and a thudding heartbeat. I thought the movie version was pretty funky and different from anything in the previous movies as well.

What do you think of this track? As I said, it's not what we're used to from the past two soundtracks. Is that a good thing or a bad thing, in your opinion?
Old 09-10-2005, 05:15 AM   #174
The Tennis Ball Kid
Animated Skeleton

As a note on the unused music: sync the CD at 1:54 with the DVD at 3:04 (Region1, EE), it plays till Smeagol has gotten a deathgrip; it gives the scene quite a different feel. (obviously ) You can also see a short clip of the scene with the music still present on the sound documentary on disc four of the EE set.

The noise used over that scene was also used in TTT, and later in ROTK, usually when Frodo is being tempted by the Ring. (e.g. right before he claims it at Mount Doom)

As for the track as a whole, Shore obviously uses a similar musical feel for the Stoors as he does for the Hobbits. And there's a very nice rendition of the Ring theme; the last minute however, is what I was humming for weeks after I first got the CD.

TTbk

Last edited by The Tennis Ball Kid; 09-10-2005 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:40 AM   #175
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

The Return of the King soundtrack, gasp!

I know I've said very little in this thread, but I do emjoy it and I am glad we have finally reached ROTK, my favorite of all.

The first song starts out with the Shire feel to it, all happy and what not. As though no evil will come to Smeagol and Deagol and then the Ring theme takes over at 1:38. Then the mood changes. The strings no longer have the light happy feel, instead they are heavy and the evil theme comes into play. A very nice mix I think.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:58 PM   #176
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Hey all,

Just want to drop in and say I've been lurking on the thread every once in a while and love the discussion. I love music and I love the soundtracks even though I can't go nearly as indepth as most of you guys can. My favorite soundtrack is FOTR, because it has some of the most memorable (for me) moments, it introduces most of the major themes for the first time, and it features the Shire and Fellowship themes (my two favorites) far more prominently than in the other two, particularly ROTK.

Just a sidenote: It would seem to me that the title "A Storm Is Coming" goes far better with track 2 than with track 1. Track 2 ("Hope and Memory") seems to embody the message musically of "A Storm Is Coming." And, of course, that title doesn't seem to fit with a track mostly concerned with the Smeagol flashback.

OK, back to lurking until I have anything I feel confident enough about to comment on! (Wow, two dangling prepositions in one sentence.)

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:26 PM   #177
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

It's nice to hear you've been reading, E&E! Please feel free to share your thoughts with us more often.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:27 PM   #178
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I really like this track. Some of the things Howard Shore used reminds of elements that you can often find in ballet music. Especially the beginning where a woodwind begins and strings join in.
When you hear the Mordor theme I have a little theory about it. You can hear the Mordor theme but you can also hear the strings frantically playing against it. The Mordor theme resembles the power of the ring and the strings resemble the good part of Gollum despairing at what is happening to him. At least that is how I like to think about it.

Yeah my 500th post!!!!

Last edited by Lathriel; 09-12-2005 at 07:31 PM.
Lathriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:51 PM   #179
The Tennis Ball Kid
Animated Skeleton

Congrats, Lathriel.

Quote:
Just a sidenote: It would seem to me that the title "A Storm Is Coming" goes far better with track 2 than with track 1. Track 2 ("Hope and Memory") seems to embody the message musically of "A Storm Is Coming."
I'm not sure what you mean here...could you elaborate?

I don't quite understand "A Storm Is Coming" being the title for this track, given that it is a line in the film (EE only), and has nothing to do with the opening scene.

"Hope And Memory" I'll comment on when we get to that track...

ttbk
Old 09-13-2005, 09:33 PM   #180
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Heh, sorry. What I was trying to say is that I think the title "A Storm is Coming" fits track 2 better, because the music of track 2 embodies the essence of that title. Whenever I hear it, I think, "Now that's what 'A Storm is Coming' sounds like in Howard Shore terms." Hope that's clearer.

In a nutshell, I'm just saying that track 1's title should, IMHO, be given to track 2. For that matter, track 2's title could almost be given to track 1.

Boy, I hope that gets understood.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Old 09-16-2005, 09:48 AM   #181
The Tennis Ball Kid
Animated Skeleton

I don't think anyone will mind this slight sidetrack....
link
Quote:
Shore's Rings Complete Recordings Coming
Source: Reprise Records
September 16, 2005

The complete Oscar and Grammy winning score to "The Fellowship of the Ring," from the epic film trilogy "The Lord of the Rings," will be available in a deluxe four-disc edition from Reprise/WMG Soundtracks on November 22nd, 2005.

This historic release contains over 180 minutes of music on three CDs, comprising the full score of the 2001 film, composed by Howard Shore. "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Complete Recordings" marks the first edition of the three complete recording releases of the film trilogy whose score has been honored with three Academy Awards, four Grammy Awards, and two Golden Globe Awards. This deluxe set also includes exclusive new artwork, packaging, and extensive liner notes culled from "The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films," to be published in 2006. Enya's song "May It Be," which received an Oscar nomination for Best Original Song and which she performed at the Academy Awards ceremony, is contained on "The Complete Recordings" within all-new selection titles that reflect the complete score being released in its entirety for the first time.

Says "The Lord of the Rings" director, Peter Jackson, "No matter how many great performances or exciting visuals we put together for the movie, we found that it was all somewhat two dimensional until we added the emotional heart of Howard Shore's music. Then, and only then, did the film come to life."

Added Paul Broucek, Executive Vice President of Music at New Line Cinema, "Listening to the breathtaking music Howard Shore created is like seeing the movie time and time again. You just close your eyes, open your ears and the whole film unfolds before you. Howard's work is incredibly visual, evocative and narrative."

Composer of over sixty film scores, Howard Shore brought a lifetime of experience to creating the epochal soundtrack for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Shore used Tolkien's texts and drew from multiple periods throughout music history to evoke the book's enchanted worlds. He developed over 80 leitmotifs to describe the cultures of Middle-earth. Collaborating with authors/lyrists Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, he composed choral music including the Tolkien-created languages for the Elves (Quenya and Sindarin), the Dwarves (Khuzdûl), Men (Adûnaic) and the evil cultures of Mordor (Black Speech). The result was a movie music breakthrough that has been followed by such subsequent triumphs by Shore as The Aviator, Gangs of New York, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and "The Return of the King." "The Lord Of The Rings Symphony: Six Movements for Orchestra and Chorus," a two-hour work based on the twelve hours of score composed for the film trilogy, has been performed in over 70 concerts in cities all over the world.

Composed for symphony orchestra and three separate choirs, "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Complete Recordings" highlights two original compositions by the multi-platinum Irish recording artist, Enya, including "Aníron (Theme for Aragorn and Arwen)" and "May It Be." Also featured in the score are solo performances by Elizabeth Fraser, Edward Ross, Mabel Faletolu as well as cast members Ian Holm, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan.

The fourth disc will present "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Complete Recordings" in 5.1 Surround Sound in DVD format. The set will also include exclusive new artwork, packaging, and extensive liner notes: "The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films -- Part I: The Fellowship of the Ring" by author Doug Adams.

"Appropriately enough for the film adaptation of one of fantasy literature's most enduring favorites," wrote the All Music Guide, "Howard Shore's score for Peter Jackson's 'The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring' is traditional and majestic, using sweeping strings, brass and choral sections to create moments of fire-and-brimstone menace as well heroic triumph."

ttbk
Old 09-16-2005, 12:39 PM   #182
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

WOOHOO!!!

Sure, we knew it was probably coming sooner or later, but man, that's awesome! Now, along with saving up to buy the Extended Edition Collector's Gift Sets, I can also start saving up for the Complete Music Soundtracks! Bravo!

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Old 09-16-2005, 03:12 PM   #183
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Track 2: Hope and Memory

That full-score box set sounds awesome... I'd better start scrounging for money.

This track is, of course, from the part when Pippin goes off with Gandalf to Minas Tirith, leaving Merry behind. We have strings playing a hobbity tune that I think I recall from FotR, and the clarinet plays a sad variant of the Fellowship theme. The music then grows, beginning to introduce the Minas Tirith theme. This is followed by the Rohan theme on French horn, and a closing mainly on strings. (It's a short track, and pretty straightforward.)

As E&E brought up, the title of the track doesn't really make sense to me. I guess it could correspond with the scene in the EE, in which Merry talks about how he and Pippin used to do everything together. That could be the "memory" and Gandalf taking Pippin away could be the "hope," but it's a stretch.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:38 PM   #184
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!! (about the CD set)ok, I better now. I will also have to begin scrounging money together.

Hope and Memory...nice and short. I like how it begins so urgently and then the music slows down for the hobbit theme then it speeds up,only to slow down again for a version of the fellowship theme/Minas Tirith theme. I like how these two themes are woven together into one track.

Maybe it is called Hope because Gandalf and Merry Hope to arrive at Minas Tirith in time and Memory because Merry remembers when he and Pippin were in the Shire and how he had always looked out for Pippin.(He tells Aragorn this in the EE I think)
Old 09-17-2005, 06:24 PM   #185
The Tennis Ball Kid
Animated Skeleton

I think the "Hope" comes from the alternate cut of this scene, if you'll recall the theatrical trailer, there was a version of this scene where Merry says "You will see the Shire again"; Shore probably named the track at a point when they were still using it. And the memory part is fairly straight-forward then, pertaining to Merry remembering....

As for the music, it's lovely, one of the few tracks that can actually bring a tear to my eye. You can just feel Merry and Pippin's agony at being seperated.

ttbk
Old 09-23-2005, 06:38 PM   #186
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Track 3: Minas Tirith

First we have the Minas Tirith theme on horn, with sustained strings. The music we next hear is reminiscient of the Mordor theme, I think. At 0:54, it gets exciting, with a bolder rendition of the first theme. At 1:15, the choir comes in with this (bold text is what is actually sung):

Quote:
Revail vyrn dan minuial
ú galad, ú vin anor hen
Cano an dregad
ú natha ored
Gwanwen ost in giliath
Dannen Osgiliath

(Sindarin)

Black wings against a pale morning
There is no more light, not in this sun
Call the retreat
There will be no warning
The citadel of the stars is gone
Osgiliath is fallen
The Minas Tirith/Gondor theme is played more slowly, and then a horn fanfare brings us up to this solo:

Quote:
Mennen nored dîn [choir: 2.15]
Gwanwen i 'ûr bân
Sílant calad Dûn [solo: 2.02]
Tollen Rochon 'Lân

(Sindarin)

Their race was over;
All courage gone.
A light shone in the west -
The White Rider had come.
I love how the orchestra drops to such a piano that the vocals are the focus of the moment, when Gandalf fends off the Nazgul. It seems that the soaring vocal solo is another theme pertaining to Gandalf -- we hear it when he is on top of Orthanc, just after he falls, and now.

At 2:35, a more triumphant rendition of the theme is played; this is from when Gandalf and Pippin arrive in Minas Tirith, so we're going back in time a little bit from the last part. The track ends just as they come to the White Tree... which is incidentally the name of the next track.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:40 PM   #187
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I really like the solo from Ben del Maestro in this track.
I also like the Gondor theme, although its too bad Howard Shore didn't try to get some exotic instrument to represent Gondor. But then the classical instruments do seem to fit Gondor. The stately theme certainly fits the Gondorian attitude. You can hear the pride they have for Minas Tirith.

I like the Lyrics, I didn't really know what they meant before. Thanks Enca for providing like usual.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:14 AM   #188
Mischievous Candle

The first 55 seconds of this track make me feel horribly uneasy. It's a really unpleasant part to listen to but it fits nicely to the film. I bet those Gondorian soldiers were feeling a bit uneasy, too, while keeping watch in Osgiliath.

At 1:15 begins a theme that is titled as "Minas Tirith Song" in the sheet music. I love the majestic part from 1:38 to "Mithrandir's Song" (~2:00) and Ben Del Maestro's solo. My favourite has to be Gondor's theme, though. It gives me shivers when at 2:53 the d minor chord (the sheet music has no f in that chord so there are just d and a, but anyway...) turns into Bb major. I wish they had played that whole theme louder so I didn't have to turn the volume up every time I'm watching that part of the movie (though I should probably blame those people who mixed and mastered the score).

I think the brass are an excellent choice for Gondor. As a country which has fought for ages against Mordor, it's theme should have enough feeling of an ancient and noble culture and the bold wind instruments do that perfectly.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:44 PM   #189
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

White Tree Track 4: the White Tree

The track begins with Boromir's death music (= true love). Lucky Boromir! He died in the first movie and still get appearances in all of them! It then switches to when Pippin is off to reach the beacon. The quarter slurred up to eighth rhythm reminds me of several other occasions when the hobbits are running somewhere, not in a situation of great danger (as in a battle or fleeing Shelob).

The next theme is a variation of Gondor's, with the same underlying low tones and moving upper strings. It builds and develops, and at 2:35 it becomes the "original" Gondor theme with which we are the most familiar. (Waaaay too familiar during the Oscars! They really needed more than one soundclip. )

Like the last track, this one doesn't resolve, but rather rolls on into the next one.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:19 PM   #190
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

What I like about the ROTK soundtrack is thta most pieces seem to flow together. Maybe Howard Shore wrote the music with a symphony in mind where one movement smoothly flows inot the next.
The music in this track really suits the moment and I love it. The contrast between the strings and low brass is neat! Of course the strings have the runs which means that if this music was translated for band us flutes would have to play them all!!!!

Encaitare:Freaky Avatar!!!
Old 10-07-2005, 11:17 PM   #191
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Track 5: the Steward of Gondor

Quote:
Encaitare:Freaky Avatar!!!
Thanks.

Oh, how I do love this track. It really carries the feeling of resigned despair over from the scenes in the movie. The beginning part is, of course, from when Faramir and Co. are riding through the streets of Minas Tirith and out towards Osgiliath.

Quote:
(Sindarin)

Boe le henio [choir: 0.00]
E sí câr athad iyn [choir: 0.22]
Ane ah a phen [choir: 0.44]
I ú athelitha. [choir: 1.01]

You must understand.
He does the duty of two sons now.
For himself; and for the one
who will not return.
The wooden flute is lovely, but of course I'm biased. At 1:22 the Minas Tirith theme is heard, and the percussion is the most noticeable even though it has been steadily building for some time. That's one of the coolest things about the music Shore composed for Gondor. Minas Tirith is a fortress, and war is upon its people. The drums, soft but always present, serve as a reminder of that. They grow faster and louder, to a rhythm and speed that might be used for marching.

And at 2:36... Mr. Billy Boyd in his solo debut. The orchestra grows in volume and tension from total silence. I think this scene is very powerful in the movie because it's kind of surreal and artsy like the very beginning of RotK. The fact that we only hear the music, the occasional sound of the horses, and finally the arrows being released was enough to bring me to tears in the theatre, something which scarcely happens. So yay for Howard Shore and Billy Boyd!
Old 10-08-2005, 06:24 PM   #192
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
How could I have missed track 4, "The White Tree", my favorite out of all three scores?

I know we've now moved on to track 5, but I simply must say that, in my opinion, the racing strings leading into the Gondor theme (the sequence with the beacons being lit) is one of my favorite moments in film music. It's a moment where, I think, all elements of the music come together perfectly. The chords are incredible and the orchestration allows the chords to come through splendidly. It sounds to me like there are some fairly distant progressions in the midst of the sequence - as a matter of fact, at certain moments it rather reminds me of Horner's The Wrath of Khan.

As the music moves forward, Shore effects a tremendous build-up of tension. The strings race; the brass becomes more and more insistent; the chords continue to rise and to break through into new tonal territory (or so it sounds to me; I haven't studied the progression). Then we have a tremendously satisfying arrival at the big statement of the Gondor theme. Now, I love Shore's music, but I must say that across the three scores there are many instances of build-ups that lead to nothing, that simply reach their height and stop, or are cut short. Here, however, we have a real arrival and a straightforward, consonant, periodic, and majestic subject. It's a great moment.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:54 PM   #193
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I LOVE this track. Sometimes it makes my eyes all watery. Of course I love the flute solo (go flutes, go!). It is so melancholy and then the Minas Tirith theme comes in with the trumpets proudly playing out. I really like how it builts up untill Pippin sings. This song I really like, and I also like the fact that Billy practically composed it himself. The lyrics are actually from Chapter three;Three is company. Originally the song is happy but you can see how easily you can make it sad.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:38 AM   #194
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

*Notice*

Maybe three people are wondering right now, "Hey, wasn't Enca supposed to start a new track on Friday?" The answer is "Yes, but Enca's basement was too flooded to use the computer much, and too noisy to hear any music."

When it's all cleaned up and we no longer have a bevy of fans and wet-dry vacuums lying around, I'll start the next track... probably next Friday.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:40 PM   #195
Himilsillion
Animated Skeleton

Himilsillion has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up Awesome Thread

I am new at the downs but, I have been reading the forums for a long time. This thread is a great idea and I really like it.
Himilsillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:51 PM   #196
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Just *BUMPING* this thead back up to the top so we can hopefully continue this fascinating discussion.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Old 10-31-2005, 08:29 PM   #197
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Encaitare, what's going on. I would dearly like to continue the discussion. We left off with the beautiful melody in track three. What will happen with track four?
Old 11-01-2005, 10:03 PM   #198
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Track 6: Minas Morgul

I'm really sorry for keeping you guys waiting. I've had so much RL stuff going on that has made it difficult for me to get online for a good amount of time, and when I was able I had to devote the time to Werewolf. But enough excuses. Since I suppose there seems to be popular demand, let's resume. Since Track 6 is pretty short, I think we can move on to Track 7 on Friday.

The switch from the pretty music of Gondor to the variation of the harsh Mordor theme is very jarring -- I always listen to the more lyrical tracks with the volume way up, and then I have to rush to turn it down before my ears get blasted!

The upper instruments play the main Mordor theme while the lower ones play in descending thirds. Beginning at 0:36, the music becomes very tense, and then with the tremolo or trill at 0:56, we are back into the brash theme. The drums at this point remind me of the 5/4 Isengard beat, although that's probably to embody the chaos of Mordor and Minas Morgul since Isengard really has nothing to do with this part. 1:29 is more gentle as the immediate danger passes.

This track isn't really a favorite of mine, just because it is so loud and brash... but I guess it's fitting for the location to which it pertains!
Old 11-02-2005, 10:29 PM   #199
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The first time I was listening to this CD I jumped when this track came on. It actually happened to me several times and I also had moments where I rushed to trun down the volume. I don't like this track very much either. However, I do like the last part. The melody there is actually heard before in the Fellowship when they are climbing mount Caradhras. So I really liked to hear it again.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:02 PM   #200
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Shield Track 7: the Ride of the Rohirrim

Since I don't really like "Minas Morgul," let's move on to Rohan! Ooh, pretty music!

As the title would suggest, the Rohan theme is featured for much of this track, sounding very militaristic. I love how Shore can bend and shape the same theme into so many different styles. And O! that lovely hardinger, in that lovely minor. Gets me every time, right here. *points at heart*

At 0:52, there is a solo on a wooden flute... I am not sure if it's a theme we've heard before, but it's the part when Theoden tells Merry that he cannot come with the Riders. It sounds like it could be tied into the Shire theme, but at a much more sorrowful extreme. Between the solo and approx. 1:30, the horns and strings build up to the crescendo into Eowyn's little theme, when she scoops up Merry. (It's a nice little theme, really. Fits very nicely with the main Rohan theme.) The track ends very triumphantly as the Rohan theme is varied with new rhythms.