The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2003, 03:34 PM   #1
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Nagging Questions

I have a few nagging questions in my mind-

Why was Feanor such an idiot, I mean sure he was good at stuff but as soon as Morgoth took the Great Jewels he defied the Valar. Surely with patience the out come would have been the Valar going to war anyway. This leads me to my next question...

Just how many noldorin elves were there that came with Feanor and Fingolfin back to middle earth? Are we talking hundreds? thousands?......... millions?!

Also did Arwen actually BECOME mortal or did she remain an elf and die of greif after Aragorn's passing? I heard another view that because Elrond was half-elven then when he left middle earth she would become a mortal.

Last of all, is there any information on the child/children of Aragorn and Arwen?

Thank you, these are just a few nagging questions I have i'm afraid!
Old 01-14-2003, 03:53 PM   #2
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Just how many noldorin elves were there that came with Feanor and Fingolfin back to middle earth? Are we talking hundreds? thousands?......... millions?!
In my estimation, probably hundreds, maybe thousands.

Quote:
Also did Arwen actually BECOME mortal or did she remain an elf and die of greif after Aragorn's passing? I heard another view that because Elrond was half-elven then when he left middle earth she would become a mortal.
Arwen was *never* an elf. Elrond, his children, his brother, and his parents were half-elven. They united the blood lines of the two man-elf unifications (Earendil from Luthien/Beren, Elwing from Tuor/Idril). Eru (God - Creator of the world) gave the half-elven the choice - to share the fate of man of the fate of elves. Mortality or immortality.

Elrond chose to be counted among the elves. Arwen, Elladan, and Elrohir, his children, had until Elrond left for Valinor to decide whether or not they would be immortal or mortal. Arwen chose the mortal path, obviously.

It is a common misconception that elves can give up their immortality - they cannot. They do not have that right. Only Eru can grant immortality or mortality. Luthien was made mortal for her great deads; Tuor was made immortal for his great deeds.

For the full explanation on this, I wrote an article:
http://www.barrowdowns.com/faq_halfelves.asp

Quote:
Last of all, is there any information on the child/children of Aragorn and Arwen?
Not really. They had a son, Eldarion, who inherited his father's throne, and unnamed, unnumbered daugthers.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:18 PM   #3
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Asking why someone is such an IDIOT (in my humble estimation) is like asking why is my Mother-in-law such a PAIN...because it's her job to be such.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:32 AM   #4
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Great answer to the Arwen question, Legalos, I actually preferred that post to the article. Up until then my own view on her situation was still a little fuzzy. I can definitely remember reading quotes that back up what you say, though.

Mattius, Fëanor while he had his faults was not an idiot in the literal sense. And I for one think he was more brave than foolish. He wasn't willing to stay and simply be a tool of the Valar, who he thought were unjustly keeping the elves within the Undying Lands. A popular opinion considering the hosts that followed him back into the Hither Lands. Part of his unrest was caused by Melkor, but also he was just too much of an individual, and a gifted one at that, to feel constrained by the Valar.

His theme song would be "You're Not the Boss of Me Now" from Malcolm in the Middle.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:27 PM   #5
Gurlie

Sting

There is some stuff(very little) on Aragorn and Arwen's kids, but it only says
DAUGHTER(S)and SON

Feanor was such an idiot because he created the Silmarrils therefore he had great longing for them I think that it was probably in the 10000's of elves going with Feanor and Fingolfin
Old 03-03-2003, 04:30 PM   #6
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thank you one and all!
Old 03-04-2003, 05:15 PM   #7
merenwen
Animated Skeleton

merenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i got a question for neone who has time to answer it. was gollum/smeagol ever good? i mean i know the ring overpowered him and all that, but was there even a little bit good in him, like when he was on the "mission" with frodo and sam? i hope so!!
Old 03-04-2003, 07:12 PM   #8
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Absolutely, I would say there was good in him and absolutely I would say there was evil in him right from the start. After all, you could have timed from the Ring showing up to him killing Deagol with a stopwatch.

I think Smeagol's character was fatally flawed and when he killed Deagol he crossed a line from which he could never return no matter how hard he tried.

I know this is the book forum, but I love these lines from Gollum's Song on TTT soundtrack.

"These tears you cry
Have come to late"

H.C.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:56 PM   #9
merenwen
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

that's what i thought, only i wasn't quite possative.. while reading two towers i found out that gollum had gone to see shelob be4 and stuff, and i didn't expect that! maybe i'm just kinda slow but it was very suprising!ok i'm gonna quit talking now.i'm confusing myself [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2003, 08:14 PM   #10
merenwen
Animated Skeleton

Sting

MORE QUESTIONS!! ok since i'm, like, one of the only ppl on this thread, i'm just going to ask questions and see if anyone writes back!sound like fun? oh it will be! *pulls herself out one of her little quirks :P* ok now, in return of the king, who were the "Dead" that followed aragorn and his company through the paths of the dead, and how did they break their oath?
Old 03-04-2003, 08:19 PM   #11
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

Shouldn't this be in the quiz room? anyway...
The dead were the people of Erech who broke their oath to Isildor to fight agenst Sauron.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:32 PM   #12
merenwen
Animated Skeleton

Sting

thanx!, i dont know i just came here and started asking ??.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:55 PM   #13
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm still quite new here but I think if you're asking questions about the books for infomation it would belong here, otherwise it probably should be in the quiz one. It started out as the first one, but it might have become the second.
OK now I'm confusing my self. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 05:18 PM   #14
merenwen
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

true true! i'm kinda new too prolly newer than you but nnnneeee waay i have lots of questions and i think it's easier to ask them what the thread is slow-going or however you wanna say it. tata!!