The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
TheLostPilgrim
Haunting Spirit

TheLostPilgrim has just left Hobbiton.
Gandalf and the Witch-King

A question:

Did anyone else hate Gandalf being beaten and his staff being broken by the Witch King? It doesn't make any sense to me.....

Gandalf is a spirit only perhaps slightly lesser to Sauron himself. He beat in single combat one of Morgoth's last remaining servants, a Maiar spirit like himself and Sauron--And in that battle "died", only to come back even stronger. Yet somehow he is weaker than the Witch King? The Wraiths are fearsome, but they are the spirits of mortal men....Not Powers like the Maiar....

If I'm not mistaken (correct me if I am) but, in the books, didn't Gandalf the Grey fight all Nine Nazgul at Weathertop and was able to hold them off? If so, couldn't Gandalf the White handle one Nazgul easily?

In a theoretical actual contest between Gandalf and the Witch King of the books, who would've won? Would Gandalf have been killed by the Witch King? Did the Witch King recognize what Gandalf was (not simply an old man) and fear him, hence turning away from a potential battle?
TheLostPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
See this thread. It talks a lot about your question.