The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-23-2003, 08:44 AM   #41
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know folks are just having fun here, but just so you know, in the middle ages it was very common for books to contain very detailed, coloured illustrations. That fact that the Balrog was coloured did not strike me as odd at all.<P>H.C.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:09 PM   #42
Retloc the Red

Tolkien

I suppose that I have no sense of humor, for I can see nothing very funny here. I do not think that Saruman was ever a child nor do I believe that Crayola Crayons ( or any other crayons for that matter) existed.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:55 AM   #43
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
hey, you never know, even a Wizard must get pretty bored from time to time and have an urge to colour something in!!!
Old 06-10-2003, 09:13 AM   #44
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Greetings Maikadilwen,<P>She of sombre reflection raises her head. *grins*<P>A very good catch, I think. It fits quite well with Tolkien's characterization of Saruman's fall to evil, the Balrog of course also being evil. Saruman is at fault, we are told--never truly shown, so we cannot much empathize with him--because he became mired in the pursuit of arcane studies in lore which dissected ideas, learning, knowledge. This I think we are supposed to accept as a false route to wisdom.<P>I would compare it not simply with Saruman becoming the Many Coloured, but with his and Gandalf's discussion on the difference between the White and the Many Coloured. It is one of the positive aspects about the first movie, which showed me how much Jackson had actually read the books.<P>Bęthberry
Old 06-10-2003, 09:26 AM   #45
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>omg u ppl actually sit there taking notes or summit?!jeez, i hav a copy of lotr and i never noticed!neway, those flames wud kinda luk vvvvvvv unreal without color!but yeah, i mean maybe he got bored and decided 2 do colouring!orcs probly doant exactly make stimulating convo!<BR>lol<BR>me <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Archer???????? <BR>******<BR>ahem. Aaaanyways. You know, I think those actually were oilpaints. Can´t you see it?<P>Saruman: *in annoying French Nasal, a la Merovingan*"Ahh, yes...A bit of orange here...that´ll kill him off. Wondeful, brilliant. Though maybe I should use a bit more black there? The effect of the picure is very clear, is it not? Ahh, yes...." <BR>
Old 06-24-2003, 03:53 PM   #46
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

This is so hilarious. Amanaduial the archer, I am laughimg my teeth in a refersed mode and a eating myself. You and chatty language? Aman? This is so hilarious. Now I finaly know how you were in the beginning. I don't want any coment from you from now on on my spelling hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> That's how he became Saruman of Many Colors <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think because he washed his clotes with to many colored clothes and too hot. Maybe that is why he always looks so depressed. <P>Nice Gwima wiw go to edowas an tell Theodon to do was sawuwan says. Weehee, Gandalf not doing a thing, nananananana.<P>HAHAHAHA priceless.<P>Suilad,<P>Anuion
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 04:02 PM   #47
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

Lady_Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lady_Galadriel
Tolkien

Haha! Now that's a picture! Baby Saurman in a little diper. Don't forget that he is in a dark room somewhere and he has this bright yellow box of crayolas!! Now I see where Saurman of Many Colors comes from!
Old 06-24-2003, 04:19 PM   #48
OddEvenstar
Pile O'Bones

OddEvenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to OddEvenstar
You know, now that I think of it, I actually do remember the color of the Balrog. But it doesn't seem unbelievable that Saruman got bored one day...the creature was kinda playing right into his plans.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:01 PM   #49
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Not only did Sauman play with crayons...he actually invented them! This is how the legend goes:<BR> As with all evil people, Saruman was constantly afraid, afraid that someone would steal is staff. Because of this fear, he taught himself how to channel his power threw other things. One day he came across a black pointy-like thingy & channeled his power threw it. To his delight the pointy thingy made a black like mark on the ground in the direction toward where he channeled his power. He soon was doing this with red pointy-thingys, etc.; &, being very wise, soon made the conection that whatever the color of the pointy thingy, that was the color that came out when he channeled his power threw it. He immediantly devoted one of his numerous cavern-ovens toward baking some different colors of these pointy thingies. Then he thought up a name for them. Because the marks that came out of them reminded him of clay, he named part of their name, cray, since it wasn't REALLY clay. Then, because they made marks ON things, he called them CRAY-ONS. He channel-drew a few pictures in his lore book ( hence the aforementioned Balrog drawing ), but soon grew tired of that. He decided to make on last piece, a real work of art. He channel-colored all over his robe, becoming saruman of many colors. That is how the legend goes. Here's a source I leaned on heavily: <I>If You Don't Know the Answer, Here's a Guide to How to Make up a Stupid story</I>-by a guy named The Only Real Estel. I also did some probing of my shallow mind while painting ( getting paid of course ). So that is how the legend goes.<BR>
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 11:43 PM   #50
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Sting

I mean, odering orcs, being evil, and causing mayhem can only be entertaining for so long. And everything is either black or white in Orthanc. If that were me, I would have pulled out paint instead of crayons, but hey, everybody has memories of crayons right? Well, mine are funny, of a kid in my class eating an orange crayon, and saying it tasted like macaroni and cheese. hmmmm...those were the days. Before the evil called homework!

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote