The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2003, 05:50 PM   #1
Melkor89
Pile O'Bones

Melkor89 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Don't you wish you were a Hobbit?

Don't you wish you were a Hobbit? I mean think about it. They live the most simple, happy lives. THey just plain enjoy living. They are sheltered and unknowledgable about all the evils of the world. THey live carefree. The world would be a better place if We were all a bit like the Shirefolk. What do you think?
Old 12-21-2003, 07:05 PM   #2
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Silmaril

There is no action. It would be nice but boring! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 07:40 PM   #3
Rasputin
Pile O'Bones

Rasputin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rasputin
Sting

god no! they have no electricity and i would absolutly hate to think what a hobbit bathroom looks like [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 07:41 PM   #4
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Don't you wish you were a Hobbit?
If I were a hobbit, I'd want to know a few Elves or seek the Ents or something like that, but I prefer the quiet life to constant conflict, so, yes, a Hobbit's life would be great! But I couldn't live without an Art to pursue or without the possibility of thoughts outside the realm in which I would live... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Oh yes, and I'd like to be independently wealthy! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:48 PM December 21, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 07:51 PM   #5
Rasputin
Pile O'Bones

Rasputin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rasputin
Sting

Quote:
But I couldn't live without an Art to pursue or without the possibility of thoughts outside the realm in which I would live...

well you could be like that bilbo baggins. i hear he's cracked he is.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 07:57 PM   #6
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Would I like to be a hobbit? *thinks* Well I don't know, I think it would personally be just a little too boring of a life for me. I am a traveler, I love to go everywhere and anywhere, and I get really bored when I have to spend a long time in the same place. I think I would rather be what I am, a human. But I do like their homes (or holes) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2003, 08:33 PM   #7
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I've always thought that I was most like a hobbit-but more like Bilbo or Frodo. I wouldn't mind being one!
Old 12-22-2003, 03:07 AM   #8
Feredir

Pipe

I would difinately like to be a hobbit. Just plain and simple life in the Shire, where the discussions are about pipe weed and relations. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2003, 04:38 AM   #9
Fíriel of Ao Tea Roa
Pile O'Bones

Fíriel of Ao Tea Roa has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I find it difficult enough to fit into man´s armour. And all the arrows would be far too long to be drawn with Hobbit´s arm length. Nah, Hobbits are better off with me defending them as I am.

Though I wouldn´t mind curly hair.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:15 AM   #10
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It would be good not having a care in the world and living my life hapily. But like other people have said it may get slightly boring and I would want more adventure.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:06 AM   #11
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A hobbit's life boring? Someone looking at our lives could easily say that. The last exciting thing that I did was hunting nearly six weeks ago and hobbits could do that. I'd love to be a hobbit, I love physical work and cooking and running around and bare feet and I really don't see how a hobbit's life could be any more boring than mine. I doubt even the average Gondorian had a very exciting life outside of the War of the Ring.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:38 AM   #12
Melkor89
Pile O'Bones

Melkor89 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

thaks for all your interesting and deep answers..........keep em coming y'all
Old 12-22-2003, 11:44 AM   #13
lord_of_rohan2003
Animated Skeleton

lord_of_rohan2003 has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Sure why not?If there is one major thing I would miss from the real world,it would be my air conditioner during those hot scorching summer months(being out in the heat to long makes me sick as a dog)But hey I rarely watch t.v as it is,noone else would have computers so I wouldn't need one,I preffer to cook from scratch anyway so I dont care about not having a microwave,I hate wearing shoes,having no car would be a bummer but walking is good exercise especially if your going to have the diet of a hobbit.So hey where do I sign up at?
lord_of_rohan2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 12:25 PM   #14
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I admit it - I've actually always wished I was a hobbit. It would be the perfect life for me. Probably about 95% of the things that give me stress in my life would be completely eliminated, and I could spend my time doing all the things that I never have time to do to relax, like baking pies and growing flowers. I wouldn't find it hard to live without cars and computers and phones - well, maybe without phones, at least at first, but I would get used to it, and then I'd be a perfect hobbit. I'm already shorter than everybody else anyway, and if I was a hobbit, at least I would be living in a hobbit sized world instead of in this world where everything and everyone is too tall for me! And hobbits seem like generally a friendly kind of folk, more or less, which I think would be quite wonderful.

Actually the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. If anyone's looking for me, I'll be in the Shire.
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 03:35 AM   #15
Enedbelethiel
Animated Skeleton

Enedbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would normally agree and say that I would be all for being a hobbit, but I think I'm pretty partial to elves. I was always under the impression that Tolkien described the elves as being able to experience the most wonderful joy - more so than any other creature. But leading a hobbit's life definitely sounds good to me, too [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2003, 03:35 AM   #16
Shire Flower
Pile O'Bones

Shire Flower has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I probably would love being a hobbit. I like the sense of community and tons of relatives and all the eating, dancing and parties. Though I have been sort of spoiled by modern conveniences, if I had been born in the Shire, those things wouldn't bother me because I wouldn't know of their existance. Since life would be more simple, I probably would have less worries. And who needs adventure when you've got lots of juicy local gossip (like that mad Baggins for instance)?

However, if I were a hobbit, I would like to be the average height for a hobbit. Being a short hobbit would be, well, really, really strange. It would be like being half a halfling. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Shire Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 08:01 PM   #17
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Don't need to ask me again. Of course I do. I have wanted to be hobbit ever since i first read the Hobbit. Their life is so simple and they don't have to do Algebra!or all that math crap. Well maybe stuff like 12 +36.
Yep gonna be a hobbit in my next life! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2003, 08:50 PM   #18
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

You bet I would like to be a hobbit! That would be so cool. Shire Flower, I agree with you 100%. Half a halfling, lol. Life would be simple and - barefeet all the way! Yep, hobbit's life is the life for me.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 10:06 PM   #19
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

Afraid not. I'd not be quite as content just living out a peaceful life. It's not in my nature to be content with my own doings and not be involved with the world's. Plus, I'd hate being short! Nay, my friend, I would say I'm suited best to be just what I said, a Knight of Gondor. Although I don't like that clunky-looking armor they wear. I'd prefer the clothes such as Boromir wore...nice, drapy, with a chain mail shirt underneath for protection. However, I am in love with Aragorn's two swords more than Boromir's, which I think is somewhat short. I like the two-handed ones best.

But my apologies, this isn't about Knights. In answer, no. I would prefer to live and defend the world of men. And maybe defend the world of hobbits as well!

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:23 AM December 30, 2003: Message edited by: Knight of Gondor ]
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 05:00 AM   #20
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

I would love to be a hobbit and lead a straightforward life. No one cares what you look like, you can be as fat as you wish meaning eating as much as hobbits do. I would give up my life for a hobbit life any day. A hobbit life might be boring but not as boring as our lives. A hobbit can go on picnics, fishing, cook, eat, sleep and smoke pipes all day… a faultless life. I would love to be a Took though, the more adventurous type. They drink pints all the time, so I bet they are tipsy half there lives (nothing wrong with that!). Having a hobbits life would be ideal!

~Niluial

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 6:02 AM December 28, 2003: Message edited by: Niluial ]
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 03:56 PM   #21
One of the Nine
Haunting Spirit

Location: In my mind. What? Why are you looking at me like that?
One of the Nine has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to One of the Nine Send a message via MSN to One of the Nine
Sting

If I could be a hobbit, and choose who I could be, I would definitely be Frodo! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] It would be cool to go to Mordor. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Just kidding...
Old 12-29-2003, 04:57 PM   #22
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

It would probably be great fun until an ear infection or burst appendix came along. Don't think I'd trade this life for that, though.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:47 PM   #23
elenquesse
Pile O'Bones

elenquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elenquesse
Pipe

I think being a hobbit would be okay for a while, but I'm more the Bilbo type, actually interested in the world around me. I love books, and I do enjoy more intelligent thought than how this year's crop is growing. Although...I wouldn't mind not having to wear socks or shoes anywhere. And eating six meals a day.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:16 PM   #24
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
I could spend my time doing all the things that I never have time to do to relax, like baking pies and growing flowers.
Yes, otherwise, I'd have cookies in the oven and a bright, blooming garden right now...

Hehe! I would love to be a Hobbit! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] It has been one of my dreams since I became a Ringie. I could sit around, take a walk, not care about the troubles of the world, and appreciate the simple life. The only doubt is about medical care, but otherwise, yo-ho, yo-ho, a Hobbit's life for me! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Edit: Wait! Without computers I woudn't be able to come here! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:55 PM December 30, 2003: Message edited by: Rilwen Gamgee ]
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 08:19 PM   #25
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I wouldn't trade this life for that of a hobbit. But of all the lives in ME I would pick the hobbit.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:35 PM   #26
Angadraug
Animated Skeleton

Angadraug has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I'd definitly love to be a hobbit. I can easily go without electricity, t.v., phones, all that good stuff. The hobbits style of living looks like so much fun. And if the shire looked anything like it did in the movies how could you not want to be a hobbit. I mean look at the place, it was beautiful. Also I think it would be really cool to have a house that is built into a hill.
Angadraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:02 AM   #27
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just need an apple-gun to get rid of Sandyman, then I'll be sorted. *locksandloads*

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:25 AM   #28
Emma Woodhouse

Shield

No way. They don´t have computers. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously? Hmm, I´m not really the person for quiet country life. Being a hobbit would be fun for awhile, I think I´d get bored quickly. I´d much rather live in Minas Tirth, or Edoras, a large city with stuff happening, and interesting people from everywhere coming along. I´m a curious person, and a bunch of people who are only interested in Mr Bracegirdle´s new cow would probably frustrate me quickly. But then, i can´t be sure of a hobbit life untill I´ve tried it out...so if anyone of you has booked a tour of the Shire, email me, okay? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2003, 10:25 AM   #29
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

I'd love it!

Admit it; the round doors and windows are just irresistible. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 03:31 PM   #30
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I'd say that since being a hobbit implies that you're born as a hobbit, electricity and stuff probably shouldn't factor into it so much - you would never have had them, and so wouldn't miss them. And in a way, you'd have the most comfortable standard of living in ME - I don't see even most Gondorians as possessing luxuries like tea-kettles [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. And you'd probably be a bit of a homebody by nature, unless of course you were a Took, and then you'd have the privilege of being well-off and well-placed enough that you'd have the time (and the money!) to go off on travels. So you'd be pretty well set.

I still don't think I'd do it, though - hobbits are long-lived in general, but their medicine still seems a touch too rudimentary. Granted, you don't miss things like pills and x-rays if you've never experienced them, but still...being ill and basically having to trust to nature for the cure is not at all fun.