The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-17-2005, 12:52 PM   #1
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots The Trickster's Consort

littlemanpoet set up a lovely discussion with a new aspect for that old chestnut Tom Bombadil in his thread The Trickster in LotR.

Not everyone accepted the possibility that Tolkien could radically expurgate the malevolent aspects of the trickster god to create merely a mischievious figure in Bombadil. I, however, do think that something like that was indeed 'behind' Tolkien's thoughts on "The Master", as well as many other folklorish ideas such as the Green Man whose images grace so many cathedrals in England.

But now let's consider the distaff side! Goldberry, daughter of the River woman, who with her washing days apparently controls the weather and possibly the seasons.

Back some time on threads whose titles I can no longer remember we have discussed the aspects of the Persephone myth which partially clothe the Goldberry figure. And I also recall a discussion with davem about water figures in ancient British folklore, the terryfying hags who haunt the rivers and streams and lure unsuspecting souls to their doom.

However, I have just discovered that the word 'berry' also has some reference to ancient legend. In Scottish legend, there is the cailleach bheur who seems to have fit the crone aspect of the triple goddess figure. She was the Witch of Winter who ruled from Hallowe'en to Beltane. Actually, there are many versions of the figure, who seems to be associated also with water and the protections of deer. The crone aspect is the hideous frightful aspect, in old legend, but in Northern Ireland, the figure was associated with Spring and the maiden aspect.

One pronunciation for this figure, indeed, a very name, was "Cally Berry." Now, what are the odds that Tolkien with his love of philology would have known of this name and taken 'berry' as the root for the name of Tom's wife?

He would have, of course, been doing with Goldberry what I think he did with Tom, expurgate the chaotic, negative aspects. Tolkien did not stumble as Milton did in the depiction of evil.

Just a little bit of background for she with whom Frodo is so smitten. What do you think? Too much a stretch?
Old 03-17-2005, 01:27 PM   #2
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Cailleachs and fairies...

In the Scottish lore I know, cailleachs alternate between the crone and the maiden aspects, becoming beautiful if they are wooed and kissed. They are tied closely to the land and represent its sovereignty and fertility. The Loathly Lady Ragnell who became the wife of Sir Gawain was based on such legend. I hadn't heard of a connection with water, though I'm sure you're right.

However, Tolkien seems to have far preferred the Saxon legend to Celtic stories. I suppose, though, that that would not prohibit him from borrowing from them; the Elves often seem not unlike Welsh or Irish figures, living under the hills or in the woods.

Goldberry herself, from the little we see of her, seems intangible, elusive, but worthy of worship and Tom's gifts of lilies and the Barrow jewelery. But she is constant and unchanging at the same time. "Tom has his house to mind, and Goldberry is waiting."

Her fair looks recall Rhiannon, the fey mother of Pryderi in the Mabinogion. Beyond that, I can't get much further. She is related in her influences to Galadriel, and yet wholly different; in a way above the Lady of Lothlorien, greatest of the Elves though she be. She receives adoration without extracting it. She remains secretive and mysterious.

Last edited by Anguirel; 03-17-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Anguirel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 04:02 PM   #3
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
In the Scottish lore I know, cailleachs alternate between the crone and the maiden aspects, becoming beaughtiful if they are wooed and kissed.
So that's where George MacDonald got that theme....

Goldberry is elemental, certainly, but she is also Good, luminous, gentle, brave, cheerful. She has become one of my favorites. The power of Song weaves into all this, too, with Goldberry; did the cailleachs sing much?

I think Goldberry's song prepped Frodo before he crossed the threshold.

Nice thread, River-Daughter's Daughter!
Old 03-17-2005, 10:38 PM   #4
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Nothing much to contribute, just . . .

Quote:
Curiously, most of these water spirits are female, and the tales commonly begin with meeting a beautiful woman with exceptionally long hair, often sitting on a rock in a river or at the very edge of the water, whilst combing her hair, crying or lamenting. (Eruanna--emphasis mine)
Because of this, now I think Goldberry has something to do with Uinen, whose hair is spread throughout the waters of Middle-earth.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:14 AM   #5
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eruanna
Curiously, most of these water spirits are female, and the tales commonly begin with meeting a beautiful woman with exceptionally long hair, often sitting on a rock in a river or at the very edge of the water, whilst combing her hair, crying or lamenting. Sometimes these women have fish scales or indeed a fish tail. Goldberry it's interesting to note, wears shoes that glisten like fish scales and Tom Bombadil describes meeting her in such a fashion
This reminds me of the tale of the Lorelei. This is both the name of a place on the Rhine, and the name of the mythical woman who is said to dwell there, brushing her hair and luring men to their deaths. Of course, this is also very like the Greek myth of the Sirens, and the English folklore of Ginny Greenteeth or Peg O'Nell. But is Goldberry treacherous in any way? Does she 'lure' Tom? And does she lure him into a negative situation? He does seem to be very attentive, bringing her lilies, and treasures from the barrows.

The name 'cailleach bheur' is very similar to the modern word 'Corryvreckan', the name of a treacherous ocean whirlpool near Jura, and I'm beginning to wonder if this name, in its Scots Gaelic, not anglicised, version would be similar, as there are also folk tales surrounding the whirlpool. St Brigid also has some links to the worship of water and wells. Why must these female figures so often be linked to death and disaster though? Does this have anything to do with the old tale that it is bad luck to have women on board a ship?

Slightly rambling thoughts, but it is Friday afternoon...
Old 03-18-2005, 09:19 AM   #6
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Thank you all for your responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
However, Tolkien seems to have far preferred the Saxon legend to Celtic stories. I suppose, though, that that would not prohibit him from borrowing from them; the Elves often seem not unlike Welsh or Irish figures, living under the hills or in the woods.
Not just preferred, I think. I believe there is a letter (which I cannot find now) where Tolkien states his dislike of celtic stories and myths. He also (again, I cannot find it in the letters at this moment) liked the Welsh language very much, if I am not mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eruanna
Tolkien suggests that there are elemental forces in M.E. Boromir's body is given into the keeping of a river;
If I am not mistaken, burial by sending a warrior out to sea in his boat with his weapons was part of the heroic tradition. It is in Beowulf. But I wonder: are there any instances in Middle earth of hostile water forces? (I can think of one in The Silm).

davem, that is an intriguing description of Guendolena from The Mystic Life of Merlin. I have never been able to find a copy of Geoffry of Monmouth's History of Britian but of course I'm sure Tolkien would have known it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 12_30
The power of Song weaves into all this, too, with Goldberry; did the cailleachs sing much?
That might clearly be something to track down. I haven't read any really reliable versions of the old tales, just modern summaries. But song is certainly a significant aspect of Goldberry and you are right that it is song which wins Frodo over even before he sees the lily lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund
Because of this, now I think Goldberry has something to do with Uinen, whose hair is spread throughout the waters of Middle-earth.
What I find fascinating about the story of Uinen is how she manages to restrain Ossë when Melkor almost seduced him, and arrange Ulmo's pardon for him.

To tell the truth, what really intrigued me about the name Cally Berry is simply the name, "berry" rather than all the attributes of the hag and maiden and water sprites. Having been given 'the berries' all my time here about my nick I was tickled to find some tangible link with old mythologies and not just juicy fruit. I took my nick from Goldberry for an RPG character and in fact once had "Bethberry" call to her mother to intervene with Uinen to calm wild waters in that game.

Besides Cally Berry, though, there is one other possible "respectable" (meaning less available to Downer's scalliwag teasing) source for the name berry.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary , berry is an Old English variant of "barrow", with the meanings "mound, hillock, or barrow", now obsolete except in dialect. There is also a now obsolete Renaissance meaning as "gust or blast of wind" and a Middle English use " to beat or thrash" as in thrashing corn.

EDIT: cross posting with Lal. A siren song certainly beckons to Frodo!

Last edited by Bęthberry; 03-18-2005 at 09:40 AM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:38 AM   #7
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
An interesting idea! Perhaps it gives credence to the theory that Tom and Goldberry are, in fact, Maia. Goldberry may have been in the service of Uinen.

I had always discounted this idea before, mainly because the others (ie Gandalf) were clearly affected by the ring, yet Tom wasn't and he could see those that the Ring made invisible.The Ring has no power over him.
Tom and Goldberry seem to belong in their environment, they are very much part of the fabric of the land and the seasons, and yet apart from it.
To paraphrase Goldberry, they are.

Elemental spirits is the closest description that I can come up with, yet that does not solve the enigma. I hope that far more erudite posters that I may come up with something better.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:15 PM   #8
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bb
davem, that is an intriguing description of Guendolena from The Mystic Life of Merlin. I have never been able to find a copy of Geoffry of Monmouth's History of Britian but of course I'm sure Tolkien would have known it.
Geoffrey's History only contains the Prophecies of Merlin (fascinating in themselves - in fact Stewart wrote a book 'The Prophetic Vision of Merlin' on them) not the Vita Merlini. This is available (though difficult to obtain) seperately. It is included in this collection, among many other fascinating works in Myths & Legends of the British Isles:http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

The History is available in Penguin Classics.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 02:04 PM   #9
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I don't think that this is a 'stretch'. It's a fascinating idea and I would love to read the original thread about Goldberry that you mention, Bęthberry.
There are countless folk tales throughout British and European folklore that have river spirits as both friend and foe.Tolkien has concentrated on the friendly aspect, however.

Curiously, most of these water spirits are female, and the tales commonly begin with meeting a beautiful woman with exceptionally long hair, often sitting on a rock in a river or at the very edge of the water, whilst combing her hair, crying or lamenting. Sometimes these women have fish scales or indeed a fish tail. Goldberry it's interesting to note, wears shoes that glisten like fish scales and Tom Bombadil describes meeting her in such a fashion:

Quote:
'By that pool long ago I found the River-daughter, fair young Goldberry sitting in the rushes. Sweet was her singing then, and her heart was beating.'
Reading that quote something struck me.
Tom claims to be the 'Eldest' in Middle Earth. He remembers how it was in the beginning;

'Tom was here before the river and the trees...'

Was he lonely as he watched the new life awaken on the land? The way he found Goldberry;
'...and her heart was beating...'

Did the River make its daughter come alive for Tom?

Tolkien suggests that there are elemental forces in M.E. Boromir's body is given into the keeping of a river;

'...and give him to the Anduin. The River of Gondor will take care at least that no evil creature dishonours his bones.' Is there an elemental power at work here, or am I reaching?

If Tom and Goldberry are elementals (Old Man Willow too) She obviously represents the idea of life and renewal, like Persephone and the Maid. If we begin to understand Goldberry perhaps we can more understand Tom.

Forgive my ramblings, this isn't at all what I intended to post.
Good topic BB.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:15 PM   #10
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
From The Mystic Life of Merlin by RJ Stewart:

Quote:
'The older elements of Merlin are connected to a primal seasonal myth in which a wild man of the woods, ruler of animals, relates to a flower maiden who represents the fertile earth. ...

(On Guendolena, Merlin's wife in the Vita Merlini by Geoffrey of Monmouth):

Guendolena is not merely a stereotype, nor is she a lesser character that Ganieda (Merlin's sister)...She is the image of a goddess of nature, fashioned out of flowers, a being of intense fertility & beauty. She cannot, in fact, exist alone as a stereotype, for she is complemented & fulfilled by her male partner. Merlin as a wild man is likewise fulfilled by Guendolena, & the Vita barely hides an ancient theme in which the two lovers play the seasonal roles of Winter & Spring, Lord of the Animals & Lady of the Flowers, Death & Life.'
For what its worth.....
davem is offline   Reply With Quote