The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2002, 12:04 AM   #41
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Bravo, mortal elf, bravo. Got any more memorized? <P>BTW, keep the votes coming on Faramir, peoples...you wouldn't want my counting job to be too easy, would you? <p>[ December 31, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 12-31-2002, 11:45 AM   #42
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

Thanks Diamond. I do have more memorized, but I posted most of them in the TTT Quotes thread.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:55 PM   #43
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Best:<BR>"Then it is forfeit." - I didn't think that any of Faramir's lines were very good. Too bad "not if I found it on the highway" was cut.<P>Worst:<BR>"The ring will go to Gondor." - When I heard this the first time, I went into shock and could hardly watch the rest of the movie. It ruined everything that came after.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 02:18 PM   #44
PippinSqueak
Pile O'Bones

PippinSqueak has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Best Faramir Line: "Then my life is forfeit"<P>Worst: "Time for Faramir, to show his quality" or whatever the exact quote was
Old 12-31-2002, 02:28 PM   #45
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

I'm going to have to agree with you on this one Diamond <P>worse: "Take them to my father. Tell him I send a mighty gift."<P><BR>best: "Then it is forfeit"<P>something like that..<p>[ December 31, 2002: Message edited by: Faye Took ]
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 07:09 PM   #46
Alex Chamois
Animated Skeleton

Alex Chamois has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Faramir's best line: "Then it is forfeit"<P>Worst: "Now we understand each other". Huh? How does watching Frodo try and give the ring to a nazgul make you understand him? How does dragging him to Osgiliath(sp) make him understand you? It doesn't explain why Faramir suddenly changes his mind (which is surely what everyone is wondering). It's just a Random Mysterious Comment (tm).
Alex Chamois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 07:23 PM   #47
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Best Line: Then it is forfeit.<P>Worst lines: The "it is time for Faramir to show his quality" one<P>and<P>the "I think we finally understand each other Frodo Baggins" one.<P>Why in the world do they understand each other, now? Frodo was about to give the ring to a flying Nazgul but was stopped by his gardener and then Frodo almost killed said gardener. Then Frodo and the gardener cry. Faramir and Frodo understand each other, now?
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 12:02 AM   #48
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

That line about "understanding" threw me, too. Watching it the second time I saw that Faramir was listening to Sam's whole "there is good in the world" speech. So that would explain why he "finally" understands Frodo's Quest. But why Frodo should understand Faramir at that point is still beyond me.<P>I'll count tomorrow...or later today, I guess...
Old 01-01-2003, 07:25 PM   #49
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Results:<P>Faramir's Best: "Then it is forfeit."<P>Faramir's Worst: "A chance for Faramir, Captain of Gondor, to show his...<I>qu</I>ality..."<BR>(I just thought I'd illustrate the awful inflections there, for you... )<P>Next, let's do <B>Gollum/Sméagol.</B><P>My 2¢:<P>Best:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> "Give it to us raw and wriggling..."<BR><LI> That speech at the end where he says, "We could let <I>her</I> do it...yes, we'll let <I>her</I> kill them..." (or something like that)<BR><LI> "The theives...the filthy little theives! They stole it, my precious, and we wants it!"<BR><LI> "Look what good Sméagol caught! Eat them, eat them! <I>*crack*</I> They're young and tender and fresh!" (or something like that!)<BR></UL><P>Worst:<BR>"Go away and never come back!" I think they overdid the "good Sméagol thing" (more Jekyll and Hyde than Slinker and Stinker) and I was skeptical that Sméagol could really tell Gollum off that easily.
Old 01-01-2003, 07:30 PM   #50
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Best: <BR>-'We could let <I>her</I> do it...'<BR>-'Why does it cry Smeagol?'<BR>-'What did you say?' (gollum in the schizo scene)<BR>Worst:<BR>I can't think of any really, all of gollum/smeagols lines were good
Old 01-01-2003, 08:37 PM   #51
the mortal elf
Wight

Tolkien

Gollum/Smeagol--<P>Best: Why does it cry, Smeagol?<P>Worst: So juicy Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!
Old 01-02-2003, 03:30 PM   #52
Magician of Nathar
Animated Skeleton

Magician of Nathar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For Smeagol/Gollum...hmm....<BR>Best: we could let her do it(tse. tse evillllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!)<BR>And the song he sang while slapping the fish. Man that is hilarious!!!!!!!!<P>Worst: But master is my friend! (You gotta be kidding! Who amde this line? Disney people?)
Magician of Nathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 03:39 PM   #53
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Smeagol/Gollum:<P>Best: Why does it cry Smeagol?<P>Worst: But master is my friend...<P>(Most humourous: Silly Fat Hobbit! Give it to us raw...)
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 03:57 PM   #54
Sword Maiden Of The Shire
Animated Skeleton

Sword Maiden Of The Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Best: Why does it cry Smeagol?<BR>Worst: The bit in the Forbidden Pool.<P>Most Funny: But Master's our <I>friend!</I><BR>You don't have any <I>friends!</I><BR>No one likes <I>you!</I>
Sword Maiden Of The Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 04:04 PM   #55
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Best: <I>Murderer....</I> (I Thought that was Funny)<BR>Worst: But, Master is my friend!
Old 01-02-2003, 07:39 PM   #56
F-16

Pipe

I thought the part with the pool was funny, where he was singing his little song about how the pool was cool.<P>His best parts were where he was talking to himself, and the part with Sam with the Potatoes.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:40 AM   #57
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Results for Gollum/Sméagol:<P>Best:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> "Why does it cry, Sméagol?"<BR>And tied for second place:<BR><LI> "We'll let HER do it..."<BR><LI> "Fishing in the pool, is nice and cool. To catch a fish, a nice fresh fish, so juicy-sweet!"<BR></UL><P>Worst: "But Master is our friend!"<P>Hmm...I feel like doing <B>Legolas</B> now. My own humble opinion:<P>Best:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> "The White Wizard approaches."<BR><LI> "They move as if their Master's whip was at their heels."<BR><LI> "I have seventeen already! ... Nineteen!"<BR></UL><P>Worst:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> "A red sky at dawn, blood has been spilled this night." <I>Oh come on, what are you, Ioreth? How exactly does that work?</I><BR><LI> "Look at their eyes, they're afraid! And they should be! They are going to die!" <I>And, like, what do you want Aragorn to do about it besides fight?</I><BR></UL>
Old 01-03-2003, 12:42 PM   #58
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

dunedain_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Faramir's best lines:<BR> Faramir: You were friends of Boromir?<BR> Frodo: On my part yes.<BR> Faramir: Then it will grieve you to know that he is dead.<P> Faramir: What?! What did they steal?!<P> Faramir: They shoot at my command.<P>Worst line:<P> Faramir: Achance for Faramir to show his quality!
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
dunedain_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 12:46 PM   #59
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Whoops, we changed. <P>Legolas's worst line:<P>Look at their eyes! They are afraid! And they should be!<P><I>Dang Legolas! Dont insult aragorn like that! What do you want him to do?! And I have to say, even though we arent doing aragorn (we should) I have to say his, "Then I shall die as one of them!" was cool. But not his best.</I>
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
Old 01-03-2003, 03:43 PM   #60
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Legolas' best line<P><I>To Gimli</I><BR>Shall I dicribe it to you, or shall I get you a box. <P>Can't think of a worst line.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:56 PM   #61
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Legolas...<BR>Best: Le abdollen (You're late)... You look terrible.<P>Worst 1: A red sun rises... blood has been spilled this day.<P>Worst 2: Aragorn, nedin dagor hen ú-'erir ortheri. Natha daged dhaer. (We are warriors. They cannot win this fight. They are all going to die!)<P>I missed Sam. <P>~Nurumaiel
Old 01-03-2003, 06:43 PM   #62
Alex Chamois
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Legolas's best line: "You would die before" hrm, how does the rest of that line go? I have got to go see it again You know the part I mean, defending the insult to Gimli.<P>Worst line: the red sun rises one. Yuck!<P>I quite like the line about fear in their eyes and they're all going to die. Shows that Legolas isn't perfect...his more human side shining though
Old 01-03-2003, 06:51 PM   #63
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Legolas's best line: "Shall I dicribe it to you, or shall I get you a box?" and "You will die before your sword fell!" or whatever.<P>Worst: "A red sky at dawn, blood has been spilled this night."
Old 01-03-2003, 07:49 PM   #64
the mortal elf
Wight

Tolkien

Best: Aragorn, Nad noen nas (Something's out there) I know that's not spelled right, but I'll leave it to the linguists. <P>Worst: "A red sun rises, blood has been spilled this night." (no one seems to like that one...)
Old 01-04-2003, 12:06 AM   #65
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Just giving my thread a loving little bump toward the top. Shameless. But I need some more votes for a clear winner in the Best Line category.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:16 AM   #66
LOTR_know-it-all55
Animated Skeleton

LOTR_know-it-all55 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to LOTR_know-it-all55
Shield

Umm.. Legolas' line "A red sun rises;blood has been spilt this night!" is not a bad line!!
Old 01-04-2003, 12:18 AM   #67
LOTR_know-it-all55
Animated Skeleton

Shield

"You would die before your stroke fell!"<BR>(Legolas to Eomer) is an awesome line!
Old 01-04-2003, 12:20 AM   #68
LOTR_know-it-all55
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Could someone please explain to me what the deal is with "A red sun rises;blood has been spilt this night!" It's a cool line!
Old 01-04-2003, 04:53 AM   #69
gilraën
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

gilraën has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Best: <I>Le abdollen</I> You're late... You look terrible.<P>Worst: nothing, he says little but for me it's all great.
Old 01-04-2003, 05:27 AM   #70
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Legolas... ok<BR>Best: Do you want it to describe it for me? Or shall I fetch you a box?<BR><I>That was cool.... who would have thought Sk8ter Elf could be FUNNY?</I><P>Worst: They are afraid, I can see it in their eyes...<BR><I>Wow, you´re being confident.... next line might be. "We will loose, I can see it in their freckels"??</I>
Old 01-04-2003, 11:04 AM   #71
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Faramir:<P>Best lines: <BR>Faramir: You are friends of Boromir?<BR>Frodo:On my part.<BR>Faramir: Then it will grieve you to learn that he is dead.<P>and<P>Faramir: I think we finally understand each other.<P>Worst:<P>Faramir: A chance for faramir, captain of gondoe to show his quality.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:36 PM   #72
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

We're done with Faramir, and on to Legolas. There's a tie for his best line, BTW.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:50 PM   #73
Maylin
Haunting Spirit

Maylin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maylin
Sting

Shall I discribe it to you, or shall I get you a box was the best Legolas line I can think of. ( Though I can't think of many. Maybe I missed some while trying to explain thing to my brother.)<P>I can't think of anyhting for worst
Maylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 01:28 PM   #74
the mortal elf
Wight

Tolkien

LOTR_know-it-all55: I'm not sure why a lot of other people don't like that line, but I don't like it because it's in the wrong place. It makes Legolas seem superstitious among other things (can anyone say Ioreth and her kinswoman? )
Old 01-04-2003, 04:18 PM   #75
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Shield

That's pretty much the same reason why I don't like it. "And as I was telling my kin-elves...red sky at night, sailor's delight, red sky in the morning, sailor take warning..." <P>So, thanks to Maylin we have a tiebreak! Wohoo!<P>Legolas' Best Line: "Would you like me to describe it to you? Or shall I fetch you a box?"<P>His Worst: "A red sun rises...blood has been spilled this night."<P>Let's do <B>Théoden</B>, shall we?<P>My votes:<P>Best:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>"Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow; The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow." <BR><LI> "If this is to be our end, then I would have us make such an end as to be worthy of remembrance!"<BR></UL><P>Worst: This was actually said by Hama, but it was Théoden's idea: "By order of the King, this city must empty. We make for the refuge of Helm's Deep."
Old 01-04-2003, 04:56 PM   #76
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Theoden<P>Best: <BR># "Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountain. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west--behind the hills--into shadow."<BR># "Where is Theodred? Where is my son?" (that was sad)<P>Worst:<BR>I noticed that he had quite a few bad ones<BR># "This is it? This is the best you can do Sauruman?"<BR># "Get the wounded on horses. Leave the dead." (You can tell Legolas was mad by that statement as well)<BR># "So much death. What are men to do against such reckless hate." (His facial expression was psychotic during these lines)
Old 01-04-2003, 08:53 PM   #77
Alex Chamois
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Theoden's best line: (to the effect of) "the last time I looked, Theoden, not Aragorn, was King of Rohan."<P>Worst line: the one about reckless hate. seemed disjointed and somewhat pathetic.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:26 PM   #78
LOTR_know-it-all55
Animated Skeleton

Shield

Best~Last time I looked Theoden,not Aragorn, was King of Rohan.<BR>Poor Aragorn though!<BR>Worst~Aragorn-Gondor will answer.<BR>Theoden-Where was Gondor when et cetera..?
Old 01-04-2003, 10:47 PM   #79
Melichus
Haunting Spirit

Melichus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Theoden's Best:<P>"Where is the horn that was blowing?"...etc. The only point in the film when I was moved almost to tears.<P>Theoden's Worst:<P>"So much death." He sounded...well, quite strange when he said this. Unconvincing.<P>In addition:<BR>I know Gollum has been covered already, but there is one line he spoke that hasn't been mentioned and that I think is one of the film's funniest because of how he delivers it:<P>"What's <I>taters</I>, eh, precious? What's <I>taters</I>?"
"The other [theme] had now achieved a unity of its own; but it was loud, and vain, and endlessly repeated; and it had little harmony...and it essayed to drown the other music by the violence of its voice, but it seemed that its most triumphant notes were taken by the other and woven into its own solemn pattern..."
Melichus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 04:49 PM   #80
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Shield

Hmmm....ties all over the place...pop pop pop.