The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye Admin Thread: Werewolf- This time it's real!

PLEASE DO NOT POST ON THIS THREAD UNTIL YOU ARE GIVEN PERMISSION

This game takes place in modern times at a world Barrow-Downers meeting.

We have rented the Eagle and Child pub for the evening/night, and we're all having a great time. But our merriment will not last long.

The events that set up our "game" will be told later.

If you wish to be added to the player list, send me a PM. But first, here are the rules. Do not sign up if you fear you cannot do all that is required.

VOTING RULES

You all have been granted ten bonus votes. You may use these at any time to amplify the power of your vote. For instance, if you wish to vote for Phantom, and want to use five of your bonus votes on him, you would do this-

++Phantom (+5)

That would give Phantom six votes- your usual daily vote plus five of your bonus votes. At the start of each day the number of bonus votes you have remaining will appear next to your name.

Additionally, on voting-
  • You should vote each and every day. Fail twice and you die.
  • You are allowed one retraction on each day.
  • All votes and retractions must be bolded and highlighted. It won’t count otherwise.
  • Nothing else should be highlighted. Extra highlighting will earn modfire.
  • In the case of a tie, the last person to reach the total gets lynched.
  • No self voting.

OTHER RULES
  • You are not allowed to quote a private conversation involving another player or mod (emails, PMs, IMs, etc) unless it took place well before the current game and does not involve this game. If I see something that I don’t like, I will tell you to delete it. If I have to tell you more than once about this, you get modfired.
  • You are not allowed to use ignorance as a shield (i.e. making it obvious that you don’t know the way one of the roles works). All the rules are right here for everyone to read. If you have a question about the rules, ask now. If you have a question during the game, PM me. I will not allow you to use ignorance to your advantage during the game. Ignorance should be penalized, not rewarded. If I have to warn you more than once about this, you get modfired.
  • You are strictly forbidden from any off-thread game-related discussion with living members of the village. If you are IMing right before the start of a day, it is very easy to slip out with something along the lines of “I just hope I’m still alive”, which can obviously be a clue about your identity. So please, just don’t even bring up Werewolf or anything about it if you are talking to a living player. I know how difficult that is, but think- everyone will be dead or victorious soon enough. A few days of restraint is a small price to pay to yield a fair and competitive game.
  • The Middle-Earth characters (Luthien, Drauglin, etc) are not actually in the game- they are spirits working with a Barrow-Downs member. The companion spirits have not been assigned with gender in mind, therefore Luthien is not necessarily working with a female Downer. Any pronouns in the narrative refer to the spirits, not the Downers they are working with.
  • You may edit posts to correct spelling and such, but please do not edit posts for actual meaning. Once you put down a thought, you may not take it back. If I have to warn you more than once, you get modfired.
  • If I do not receive your night PM on time, it does not count. Period. I need all night selections, at the latest, ONE HOUR BEFORE the start of day.
  • If your vote is not posted in time, it does not count. Period. All votes need to be time-stamped at the deadline or before. A time-stamp one minute after the hour is too late. Sorry.
  • If my PM box is full, send your PMs to Mirandir. She is the co-mod and should be feared and worshiped nearly as much as me.
  • Play in invisible mode please.

THE EVIL ROLES

THE EVIL THREE- Drauglin, Carcharoth, and Thuringwethil function like a Werewolf team, though only two of them are Wolves. Each night they select a kill. However, they must specify which one of them is doing the killing. Each is expected to make a kill before any one of them can kill again. The Evil Three can PM one another at any time, day or night.

DRAUGLIN- The dreaded chief Wolf has come to destroy you! When he makes his kill, he also PMs me a number, 1 through 6. If the number matches what I roll with my die, and the target is an Ordo, that Ordo becomes a Werewolf and joins the Evil Three. On one night Drauglin can choose two numbers. Drauglin can be discovered via Luthien dream, can be slain by Beren’s Huan ability, and can be slain if Finrod is protecting the kill choice.

CARCHAROTH- The foul guardian of Angband is here to eat you! When he makes his kill, he also PMs me a number, 1 through 6. If the number matches what I roll with my die, and the target is an Ordo, that Ordo becomes a Werewolf and joins the Evil Three. On one night Carcharoth can choose two numbers. Carcharoth can be discovered via Luthien dream, can be slain by Beren’s Huan ability, and can be slain if Finrod is protecting the kill choice.

THURINGWETHIL- Sauron’s sinister vampire messenger has come to suck you dry! She is immune to Beren’s Huan ability, and her kills cannot be stopped by Finrod. She can be discovered by Luthien. In addition, she has a one-time vote-sucking power. On one Night of her choosing, she can PM me with the name of someone she wishes to suck two bonus votes from. That person permanently loses those two votes, and the following day the tally will show him with two fewer bonus votes (though Thuringwethil will not be shown with two extra votes). If she chooses, Thuringwethil can use those two stolen votes the following day while they are still fresh. But the day after that, the tally will show that she has two more bonus votes than she ought to have, and it will be obvious who she is, and thus using bonus votes the day after using her vote-suck power is risky. (EDIT: Just to be clear since I've had several questions from Goods and Bads about this, if she uses any bonus votes the day after the vote-suck, the stolen votes automatically get used first.) Thuringwethil can also choose to use her vote-suck power on a person that she kills. In this case, she sucks away all of their remaining bonus votes. And once again, she can use those extra votes the following day, but the day after the vote tally will make it clear what happened.

GRIMA WORMTONGUE- Grima counts in the tally as an innocent, but he wishes for evil to be victorious. He also has the one-time ability to make someone fall ill. During a night of his choosing, he can PM me with a player name. If that person is a Gifted, the Gifted falls ill and is unable to use special powers that night. Grima is immune to Luthien’s dreams.

WEREWOLF- If Drauglin or Carcharoth kill an Ordo and successfully choose the number on the die that I rolled that night, that Ordo becomes a Werewolf. The Werewolf will not be responsible for any kills until the original Evil Three are dead. The Werewolf can PM with the Evil Three at any time. He can be discovered via Luthien dream, can be slain by Beren’s Huan ability, and can be slain if Finrod is protecting his kill choice.

THE GOOD ROLES

LUTHIEN- Luthien has come to help you with Seer dreams. Each night Luthien will PM me with the name of another player. I will PM back and reveal the role of the player she named. Grima and Pippin are immune to her ability and will appear as “ordo”. In addition, on one single night of her choosing, she may transmit her dream to someone else, meaning that she will not receive the results of her PM, but the results will be PMed to a player of her choosing.

BEREN- The valiant Beren has come to your aid as well. If Beren is killed, he will be sent back alive for one additional day. Also, Beren has the one-time ability to send Huan after a Werewolf. If he correctly does this, the Werewolf dies. If Huan is sent after a non-Werewolf (Thuringwethil, Grima, or a Goodie), nothing happens (except that Beren has used up his Huan ability). Beren cannot use Huan after returning from the dead.

FINROD- The spirit of Finrod will inspire someone to selflessly protect his fellows from the Werewolves. Each night Finrod will PM me with his protection choice. If the person he is protecting is attacked by a Werewolf, Finrod sacrifices himself to stop the attack, causing both the Werewolf and Finrod to die. Finrod cannot protect the same person twice in a row, and is unable to protect himself.

FOOL OF A TOOK- The spirit of Pippin attempted to come to your aid, but he may do more harm than good. The person overshadowed by Pippin does not realize it, but his bonus votes count for nothing. Pippin cannot be discovered via Luthien dream.

ORDO- The only power an Ordo has is the vote. Use it wisely.

Once again, if you wish to play, PM me. If my box is full, PM Mirandir.

PLEASE DO NOT POST ON THIS THREAD UNTIL YOU ARE GIVEN PERMISSION

PM QUESTIONS:
  • The Seer does dream on Night 1. No other activity takes place.
  • If Thuringwethil sucks votes from Pippin, she gains votes that don't count for anything.
  • You are not required to do all of your posts RPG style, though it would be entertaining if you have the time. As far as being "in character" you are all yourselves, so everything you say will be in character. It is being "in time and place" that are more important. Try not to say too much RL stuff that puts you somewhere other than in the pub.

Last edited by the phantom; 04-21-2009 at 08:38 PM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

The updated villager list.
  • Aganzir
  • Alonariel
  • Brinniel
  • Fea
  • Firefoot
  • Formendacil
  • Green
  • Kent
  • Kuruharan
  • Lalwende
  • Lari
  • Lommy
  • Nerwen
  • Nienna
  • Nilp
  • Nogrod
  • Sally
  • Shasta

Once you've been placed on the official villager list, this thread is open to you.

The village list is finalized unless we have drop outs.

Last edited by the phantom; 04-04-2009 at 12:24 PM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

The slots are filled. Any PMs I receive after this are subs, in case someone drops out. I have quite a bit to do tonight, but tomorrow I will post some additional set-up info.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Milord the phantom,

I must needs know, if you are to retain me on yonder list, when, pray, is said werewolf game projected to start?
Old 04-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Milord the phantom,

I must needs know, if you are to retain me on yonder list, when, pray, is said werewolf game projected to start?

I have bloody missed you, Sir Form. That is all.

I second the question, though I assume you'll let us know tomorrow. Can't wait!
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
According to my lord and master, the game will be ideally starting over Easter weekend. Which is apparently the weekend of April 11th (or so my calendar claims).
Old 04-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lariren Shadow is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirandir View Post
According to my lord and master, the game will be ideally starting over Easter weekend. Which is apparently the weekend of April 11th (or so my calendar claims).
If it is that day I will be flying home the Saturday of that weekend. Please forgive any not showing up.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
Easter weekend is also terrible for me as I will have negligible internet. Just FYI.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
The concept looks great. Well, what else would you presume?

About the timetables: I'm going to be "balancedly" busy the coming weeks but not too busy not to play a game of werewolf while others businesses wait...

But it might be a real chance for me to try once more the little less involved playerstyle - not that I believe I can pull that out, but I will try it once again - and might be actually forced to do it for real this time.

The reason being that I have a host of essays & entry applications to read but on the other hand the Passover is more or less free time to me as well in the sense that I do not have classes then... (I could play it safe and do my other work then but... if I'm not using that time doing the work I can play WW the more - maybe I need to reach a balance there? ).

Well, I actually should also make a major clean-up operation and work through all my papers that are just a mess right now... and have been for a year or two...

But there is time and place for everything.

So let's play!

It looks too interesting to be skipped or not paid attention to...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
You are not allowed to use ignorance as a shield
*sputters*

Bu...bu...but I'm not sure I'll be able to come up with a new strategy on such short notice.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:33 AM   #11
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I have a question about bonus votes, Phantom. Are we allowed to vote, and then come back later to add bonus votes to our vote? Or do we have to use X number of bonus votes when we vote for the Day?
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:56 AM   #12
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
If Thuringwethil decides to use her two bonus votes the day after sucking them, how does she do it? Does she PM about it to you, and the village is left wondering what happened?
Old 04-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #13
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

This village is going to have a Day 0, and I think I'll be letting that begin in a couple days. No one will have their roles yet. It's just a time to set up the scene and be silly (pretend you're at the World Barrow-Downs meeting and have conversations with people etc).

Due to many people telling me that Easter weekend is busy for them, Night 1 and Day 1 will be 36 hours. We did something similar in my last game when we started over Christmas I believe. Right now I'm planning on starting Night 1 right when Friday changes to Saturday here where I live, which means it would be Saturday, 5 AM GMT. Night 1 will last 36 hours, which means that Day 1 would begin at noon my time, or Sunday 5 PM GMT. Once again, Day 1 will be 36 hours as well in order to get the deadline back to schedule and allow everyone time to post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
I have a question about bonus votes, Phantom. Are we allowed to vote, and then come back later to add bonus votes to our vote? Or do we have to use X number of bonus votes when we vote for the Day?
You can only add/subtract bonus votes when you cast your daily vote. Otherwise there is simply too much potential for hundreds of little add-ons and take-backs and last minute changes, and it would really favor those around at the deadline. I don't want to penalize people just for being in a different timezone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
If Thuringwethil decides to use her two bonus votes the day after sucking them, how does she do it? Does she PM about it to you, and the village is left wondering what happened?
Thuringwethil will indeed PM me "I wish to use my stolen votes" and then she will vote just like usual on the thread... ++Player7 (6).... but out of those six bonus votes, two of them were stolen. So, the following day, when I list all the villagers and their bonus votes remaining, the person who is Thuringwethil will not have six fewer bonus votes than she did the day before, but four fewer.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:50 AM   #14
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuru
Bu...bu...but I'm not sure I'll be able to come up with a new strategy on such short notice.
Heh heh...

You could always try being the comic-relief dwarf.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #15
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

That would be so far out of type I don't think anybody would believe it. I'd be lynched for sure.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #16
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom
Thuringwethil will indeed PM me "I wish to use my stolen votes" and then she will vote just like usual on the thread... ++Player7 (6).... but out of those six bonus votes, two of them were stolen. So, the following day, when I list all the villagers and their bonus votes remaining, the person who is Thuringwethil will not have six fewer bonus votes than she did the day before, but four fewer.
Mmm... I'm not sure that's fair to Thuringwethil. Anyone who's keeping track of the number of votes will immediately notice the discrepancy in the number of votes Thuringwethil has, which would make it obvious who has the role. :/

Maybe the stolen votes could be added on secretly? As in, Thuringwethil PMs you to use her stolen votes, and then votes as normal, using X number of her own votes, but behind the scenes, two extra votes are added to her candidate?
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Old 04-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #17
Kent2010
Wight

Kent2010 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
Mmm... I'm not sure that's fair to Thuringwethil. Anyone who's keeping track of the number of votes will immediately notice the discrepancy in the number of votes Thuringwethil has, which would make it obvious who has the role. :/
I know this will be my first game, but this looks like a new role?

It looks like Thuringwethil is getting a slight advantage by being able to take 2-bonus votes away from a player and it looks more like she will be forced to make a tough decision on whether to let everyone know her role by using the 2 extra bonus or not. If you can't tell who used the 2 extra votes then that would take away the tough decision.

Maybe you can make it so Thuringwethil can use her 2-bonus she took from someone any day after? That way she's not forced to either use them while they're fresh or let them 'disappear', but there is still the risk of whether she wants to use them (letting everyone know her role) or not.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #18
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Thuringwethil can steal votes. That's bad enough. But then to actually use those votes and get away completely free? Nah. I want there to be some sort of drawback to keep it from being so easy.

There are certain situations where it would pay off, and others where it wouldn't, and the evil team will have to factor this into everything they do.

For instance, if they think Thuringwethil has been spotted by Luthien, they can have her kill Luthien that night and elect to use Thuringwethil's vote suck power then, and then unload all of her votes and the Seer's votes the next day to preserve herself for one extra day.

Or perhaps she'll take someone who has used up several of his bonus votes already and suck away two more from him at the very end to clinch dominant voting weight and thus the game.

Anyway, it's all situational. I don't want the power to be a clear advantage in every single circumstance. It's just an extra ability sitting there waiting to be used. An extra factor to be considered. Another level of possible strategy.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #19
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I have questions, m'lord:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
You are allowed one retraction on each day.
Is this a partial retraction, or a total retraction? As in, if I were to vote thusly:

++Fea (+1)

and I wanted to retract, would I be able to retract thusly:

--Fea (+1)

which would leave Fea unvoted for, or would it be

--Fea

which thereby allows me the retraction of that one vote, but still leaves Fea with one vote against?

And if I have already voted

++Fea

and I wanted to seal her dark and twisted fate with one of my spare votes, would I merely add

++(1)

or would I need to add

++Fea (+1)

or would doing the latter be accidentally adding two votes to my first vote?
Old 04-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #20
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

When I first came up with the idea I debated quite a bit about whether or not to limit bonus votes to one target. In the end I decided it would open up more possibilities and be more unique to allow for someone to vote for two targets.

So, you do indeed have to retract your full vote- otherwise you will leave your bonus votes on your original target.

++Phantom (4)

And then later...

--Phantom

You only retracted your daily vote. Your four bonus votes are still on Phantom. And guess what? There's no way to get them off now, because you used your retraction. Oops.

You can weaken or strengthen your vote by adding or subtracting bonus votes as well, but adding or subtracting bonus votes counts as your retraction for the day. You can't go changing your vote every couple seconds. Things would be just a little too crazy. I need to be able to count these things up without it taking all night.

So, if you gave three bonus votes to Phantom, and you wish to tack on two more, you can just do this-

++ (2)

Now, if you have time, it would be courteous to put a note below it so that your fellow players recall who you voted for. Something like this-

(added to Phantom)

Any other questions?
Old 04-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #21
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Are there silver platters in this game, and may I be scandalous?
Old 04-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #22
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Are there silver platters in this game, and may I be scandalous?
You need permission to act like that now?

Well, crap. I'm in trouble.

So if I wanna retract all my votes I'd go like this

--Phantom (X)

where my vote is actually properly formatted and X is the number of extra votes. Correct?
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #23
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
I have bloody missed you, Sir Form. That is all.
I should let milord, the phantom, know that--even though I said I was good for an Easter start--while I still thinking of pulling out of this game, I have been lured back into staying in.

The fact that I have quoted Sally to say this is in no way related.

Nor is the fact that I plan to seek out Miss Sally at this pre-game roleplaying meet/Barrow-downer convention and engage her with my awesomeness in any way related to that quote.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #24
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
You need permission to act like that now?
My moral compass, thanks to the strict behavioral expectations you had for me, darling, now points due... south...

This is an improvement, I should possibly specify, due to the fact that it had, priorly, pointed just about everywhere.

Or perhaps I ought just to say that sometimes adopting a submissive demeanor and asking explicit permission to behave a certain way according to the --

I'll just stop, shall I?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #25
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Fea = controversy. Period, end of story.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #26
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
This village is going to have a Day 0, and I think I'll be letting that begin in a couple days. No one will have their roles yet. It's just a time to set up the scene and be silly (pretend you're at the World Barrow-Downs meeting and have conversations with people etc).
Even if the set up in itself is the most promising I would declare this the freakiest idea this far - and a very welcome-one as such.

I mean in the last game there was something like four pages just pure one-liner banter in the beginning of Day1.

Banter is fun and it is an integral part to this game. A game without some banter would be much duller. But there should also be a game. So hopefully people can empty their banter-allowance on this Day0 and will actually start playing on Day1...

Okay. Let me try to get clear with this one.

So if I vote like:

++ the phantom (5)

and then retract it like this:

-- the phantom

then tp will have five votes and I can vote someone else (and I have used five of my bonus votes)?

So to retract all the votes from tp I need to do it - like in this case:

-- the phantom (5)

Which indeed opens up the next question: can I then vote for the phantom with 5 additional votes (adding up to six votes in total) and then retract three of those extras + my basic vote and then use whatever number of votes I can afford to someone else thus leaving tp with two of my votes?

eg. if I do this after my original five (six) votes of this scenario for tp

-- the phantom (3)

it means I have left tp with two votes and can vote again?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #27
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Oh, no, Noggie, DAY 1 must remain DAY 1 , otherwise it ain't DAY 1 at all.

(Aight? Kuru? Form?)
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #28
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

zomg all this voting stuff is making my brain hurt... now i'd like to just try higlighting ot make sure i can do it...

++ The Phantom

seems to function all right... and the impression i had about the votes was that we could only add weight to our own vote and these extra weren't like extra votes right? so if we retract some weight off of our original we can't then use them to vote for another...
Old 04-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #29
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Completely correct, Nogrod. You are indeed allowed to retract only a portion of your votes if you wish and so leave your original target with a number of bonus votes. Let's say you do this-

++Phantom (5)

And then do this-

--Phantom (3)

Phantom still has two votes. And then you can do this-

++Mira (1)

And give Mira two votes (your daily vote plus one of your bonus votes. That means for the day you gave Mira 2 votes and Phantom 2 votes, and the following day you will have 3 fewer bonus votes.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #30
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Thanks tp. Like I thought... this opens interesting possibilities.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #31
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ok... still trying to understand. We are allowed to retract some of our weighted votes and then add them onto another but are we allowed to say

++ The Phantom (2)

++ Mira (3)
Old 04-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #32
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

No, because that would be an attempt to assign your free daily vote to both people. Only your bonus votes (the number inside the parenthesis) can be split. You can't cast your daily vote for both Phantom and Mira. You would have to retract the first one.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #33
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

thats what I thought but i was just checking. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #34
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
You can only add/subtract bonus votes when you cast your daily vote. Otherwise there is simply too much potential for hundreds of little add-ons and take-backs and last minute changes, and it would really favor those around at the deadline. I don't want to penalize people just for being in a different timezone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
When I first came up with the idea I debated quite a bit about whether or not to limit bonus votes to one target. In the end I decided it would open up more possibilities and be more unique to allow for someone to vote for two targets.

So, you do indeed have to retract your full vote- otherwise you will leave your bonus votes on your original target.

++Phantom (4)

And then later...

--Phantom

You only retracted your daily vote. Your four bonus votes are still on Phantom. And guess what? There's no way to get them off now, because you used your retraction. Oops.

You can weaken or strengthen your vote by adding or subtracting bonus votes as well, but adding or subtracting bonus votes counts as your retraction for the day. You can't go changing your vote every couple seconds. Things would be just a little too crazy. I need to be able to count these things up without it taking all night.

So, if you gave three bonus votes to Phantom, and you wish to tack on two more, you can just do this-

++ (2)

Now, if you have time, it would be courteous to put a note below it so that your fellow players recall who you voted for. Something like this-

(added to Phantom)

Any other questions?
I have one.

....Which is it?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #35
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

It's both, Shasta.

When you add one of these -> (+2)

It's like retracting your vote and revoting for the same person with two extra bonus votes.

There. Have I unmuddled it now?
Old 04-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #36
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund View Post

(Aight? Kuru? Form?)
Some day, when I can be bothered, I will come up with a brilliant and evil plan to destroy DAY ONE entirely.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #37
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
Some day, when I can be bothered, I will come up with a brilliant and evil plan to destroy DAY ONE entirely.
But sweetheart, without a proper Day One, how am I supposed to flirt shamelessly with you without others assuming we are, somehow, Lovers?
Old 04-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #38
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund View Post

(Aight? Kuru? Form?)
While I wish to clarify, for the record, that it is not Days 1 that I hate, but the idea that there is any useful analysis to be gleaned therefrom, I must agree with my colleague Felagund that Day 1 is hardly a "Day 1" if it does not precede all other days in sequence. Just as there is no Year 0 between -1 B.C. and 1 A.D., so there is no Day 0, it seems to me.

I therefore petition Milord the phantom to rename this "Day 0," "Day -1."
Old 04-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #39
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
But sweetheart, without a proper Day One, how am I supposed to flirt shamelessly with you without others assuming we are, somehow, Lovers?
Further motivation to be bothered to unleash my brilliant and evil plan to destroy DAY ONE.

I didn't know you were going to be playing when I signed up for this.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 04-05-2009 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Form, couldn't you have waited two minutes for me to post so I wouldn't have to bother adding the quote?
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:23 PM   #40
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
I didn't know you were going to be playing when I signed up for this.
Still holding a grudge, darling, from that very first game.