User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2004, 02:11 AM   #81
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
They all walked close together for there was an eerie feeling in the air and no one felt safe or comfortable. No one spoke a word, they just looked around at the snow covered trees and the black rocks that stuck out of the icy ground. The leafless trees stood tall, covered in snow but they looked creepy for there were many of them. It was like walking through a forest without any green, just gloomy white, dark browns and black with a grey sky above them.

Melody shivered, “this place is giving me the creeps” she whispered to Tom and Ivy. They both nodded but didn’t say anything. Melody looked at Madoc who looked a bit pale, “Is everything ok? Are you feeling sick? Maybe you should get in the wagon” Melody said quickly not giving Madoc a chance to say anything.
“I am fine; I just have this odd feeling inside.” He whispered.

There was silence again and all they could hear were the cries of wild dogs in the distance and the whispering trees. Melody suddenly halted, “Can you smell that?” She said as quietly as possible. Everyone stopped and sniffed the air all looking confused and frightened.
“Yes” Madoc replied, “It smells like burning wood, a outside fire.”
“Odd, who would be out here?” Melody said with a puzzled expression on her face.
“Well” Tom paused, “Maybe travellers? But why would they be in this cold? Who in there right mi…” Tom gasped.
“What is it Tom? Tom!” Melody said looking all around.
“That… looks like… no!” Madoc looked “an orc camp! Quickly hide or do something.”

Melody and Ivy hid behind a rock and looked into the distance where the camp was she looked at the one orc who was pointing in their direction.
“We’ve been spotted Ivy, we’ve been spotted!” Melody cried softly.

Last edited by Niluial; 03-28-2004 at 02:16 AM.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:37 PM   #82
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Madoc pulled Ivy and Melody down behind the cover of the rock. ‘’Stay low,’ Tom said to them nodding at Madoc. ‘We’ve got to get back to the others . . . and quickly.’ He crouched down and scurried quickly back the way they came, ducking behind trees and rocky outcroppings as they went.

No sound of footsteps hurrying after them came to Madoc’s ears as they neared the little encampment and stood up sprinting toward their little group. ‘Orcs!’ he yelled out. ‘Grab your weapons!’ Get out the pitchy brands from the wagon and light them from the fire,’ he yelled to Gorby and Hob. ‘We can keep some of them at bay with the flames.’

The doughty Hobbits readied their weapons, gathering behind the big wagon for protection. It stood between them and the direction of the Orc camp; at their back was a small rocky outcropping that would also afford them some protection.

Gorby was the first to see the approaching Orcs, coming straight at them. There were six of them, their great leering faces hideous in the late afternoon light. He raised his knife and ran toward the Orcs, hoping to draw them off from the others as he feinted to his left. One of the uglier fellows came rushing after him, and Gorby threw his knife, hitting the Orc in the chest.

With a gurgle, the beastly creature keeled over. Gorby rushed to the fallen Orc and knelt down, preparing to take back his knife. A look of quick surprise followed by dismay fell over his features as an arrow shot by one of the craven creatures found its mark. Gorby crumpled to the ground, his life’s blood spilling into the brown grass.

With a cry, Madoc and the others began firing their arrows at the bloodthirsty Orcs, along with stony missiles flung with deadly accuracy from their slings. Surprise turned to anger from the Orcs, and the remaining five charged after the Hobbits, seemingly heedless of the knives, clubs, and sharpened staves that now came out to meet them . . .
Old 03-29-2004, 06:38 PM   #83
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Ivy stood, having strayed from where Madoc had dragged her to, staring wide-eyed at the orcs before her. A voice behind her shouted out "Move, Ivy!" and without thinking she pulled her knife violently from her apron, leaving a nice rip in her skirt. She charged out towards the orc closest to her, lunging with all her strength to insert the knife wherever she could. The orc snarled at her in small agony from the tiny pierce of Ivy's small knife. As she came about her senses, she let out a yelp. The orc advanced towards her, the knife still embedded in its leg. She turned round to run quickly. As if it was placed strategically to trip her, Ivy stumbled over a felled tree branch, and was flat on the ground, where she dare not move a muscle. She was panged with the thought that the others might be in worse danger. Melody! she yelled out to herself, closing her eyes tight.

The foul stench of the orc approached Ivy, it's stagnant shadow cast over her body like a dark veil, and a small drip of its blood fell on her arm. She stifled a scream at the feel of the drop, and turned round instantly. The orc loomed above her, holding a knife of its own. Ivy, wide eyed tried to back away slowly. There were voices, voices screaming at her to run.

"IVY!" came the shrill voice of Melody as she spotted her good friend. Ivy couldn't see her. She could see nothing but the orc before her. The orc made a strike at Ivy, but she darted to and fro. Yet that was not enough to stop the knife from piercing her leg. She let out a scream of pain, that was answered with a cry of terror from Melody. The orc turned round to see to whom the shriek belonged to. Ivy seized this opportunity to scream out to her friend. "Melody! Run away! They heard you!!" she gasped at the top of her lungs. She saw Daisy from the corner of her eye, gasping in horror to see Gorby's body, lifeless; but the image was quickly gone when Daisy decided to make a plunge for the orcs near them. Tom, she could not see, nor Melody, but she hoped they would be safe.

Meanwhile, she looked around frantically for anything to throw at the orc while it was distracted. Picking up a good sized stone, she flung it at the evil creature with all her might. It staggered around for a moment, but did not seem to be hurt from the blow, simply angry. It let out a warning, so it would seem, and struck again, this time with much more precision.

Ivy screamed as the blade went in, and for a brief moment it seemed that she could see the Shire again, but it was not so. As the pain sunk in fully, she closed her eyes, which would not open again; and she drew her last breath.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:58 AM   #84
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting Daisy

"Gorby!!!" Daisy screamed with her voice full. She had watched Gorby die when the arrow had hit him. She ran towards him, standing over him, while she tried to loosen the arrow. She felt so helpless...what could she do? Then suddenly she could see that Gorby still wasn’t dead. His eyelids were flickering. "D-aisy.." He muttered under his own breath. It was like a silent whisper, which was hard to catch. "Yes..yes! It's me..." Daisy said, while a tear was running down her cheek. She wiped it off quickly with her left hand, while holding Gorby's head p with the other hand. "Don't die Gorby!" Daisy said while breathing heavily. She was panicking.

"Help me!" She whispered so no one but herself could hear it. The truth was that no one was here to help her, or for that matter Gorby, this time. They were fighting the Orcs while she watched her dear friend Gorby die...slowly, but for certain. There was absolutely nothing she could do.

"I'm sorry, Gorby.." Daisy said, she was now crying. Her eyes were already swollen, and her cheeks were wet.

"N-no, don't be dear Daisy," Gorby said finally. He seemed weak, like he was soon about to take his last breath. "I'm sorry...for not telling you who I really am...who I really was. I’m nothing but a simple thief." He muttered slowly. Daisy tried to understand what Gorby had just said, but her mind had focused on his lovely curly red hair. "I don't care Gorby....remember, you set out for this journey because you wanted to help people...so the Hobbits of the Shire could get through another winter. This special journey makes you a hero, not a thief." Daisy said, while crying even more. She couldn't stop the tears from coming, they just came.

"B-but why didn't you say anything?" Daisy asked quickly. She knew it was a stupid question, because he was dying and this wasn't a really good time for questioning- But somehow, she just had to know.

"I thought...that a pretty lady as yourself wouldn’t want to talk to me if I told you who I really was.." Gorby said at last. "But...now, it's over. Just get those supplies safely to the Shire, so I can die knowing that the Hobbits won't starve...and that I didn't die all in vain..." Gorby said. His eyelids were flickering again. His wound was now surrendered by a huge pile of blood "I will dear Gobry..I will.." Daisy said at last, and then she kissed his forehead. In that moment, she knew he was gone. She also knew what she had to do.

"This is for Gorby you filthy Orc!!" Daisy cried as she picked up a knife she found close by, while running towards the nearest Orc.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:41 PM   #85
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Hob looked about him, he was all but out of arrows, not that they had been doing too much anyway, and the only thing standing between him and the orcs were his friends. He couldn't let that happen, he couldn't let them die without doing anything to protect them. He'd only known death by illness and old age, but now he could do something to stop his friends dying, so they could live to see long and happy lives, or at least summer.

With this thought in his head he pulled and old carving knife out of his pack, hoping it would slice living meat as well as it had done dead and cooked meat. He took a deep breath and charged, bellowing at the nearest orc. His voice joined and merged with the screams, yells and growls of the scene around him. He could see the dead body of Ivy and in his mind's eyes of Estelle and Meri. Every thing seemed so hopeless, but Hob was not one to give up all hope.

The knife slid into the orc's side, the orc's arm stopped where it was throwing a knife and it looked down at Hob, surprised. Hob smiled, almost politely as he would to an old gaffer he met walking down the rooad, but a fire was burning in his eyes and it told a different story; either he or the orc would die.

The orc's arm moved too quickly for Hob to react and he found himself with a hand around his throat and it was slowly lifting him upwards towards the orc's face. With one hand Hob tried vainly to pull the hand away from him while the other flailed around looking for something that may be used as a weapon. He found something. His hand closed around the last arrow in his quiver, flipped it out and stabbed it into the arm that attached him to the orc. The orc yelled and threw him across the battle. He landed on something soft, winded and his throat was burning with a fire worse than any sore throat he'd ever had. He rolled onto his front so he could stand up and found himself face to face with the deathly pale visage of Gorby, no breath was coming from his lips.

Hob yelled hoarsely in horror and crawled off the body. He slowly stood up, clutching his stomach and gulping the air down, his eyes fixed on Gorby's pale face. Then his legs were swept from underneath his and was once more staring into the face of the orc. The orc pulled the knife out of his side and without any further hesitation, stabbed it through Hob's chest.

The world stopped.

Hob tried to gasp as the pain shot through his body, but his broken lungs couldn't allow it. With no last breath to breathe, his mind floated to a place where there were no orcs, no arrows, swords or spears but where his mother was waiting for him and the smell of blossom on the apple trees was no longer just a memory and he could work all day with the sun on his back and stare up at the stars at night without his breath obscuring the view. Then, he was gone.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:56 AM   #86
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

‘This is for Gorby! You filthy Orc!’

Madoc heard Daisy’s voice ring out over the harsh cries of the Orcs and the screams and yells of the Hobbits. The Orc that had downed Ivy stood grinning at the fallen Hobbit, his back to the charging Daisy. His face turned from its leer of triumph to one of surprised pain as the little Hobbit drove her knife between his ribs. The momentum of her run put the full force of her body into the thrust. With a strangled gurgle, blood gushed from the beastly lips and the Orc fell to its knees, and with a single convulsion toppled over dead.

Daisy ran back to where Madoc was standing, the bow that Fairlight had given him, sending arrows at the remaining four Orcs. She grabbed up a long, sharpened stave and ran to help Melody and Tom who stood back to back as two Orcs circled them, clubs in hand.

The remaining two Orcs, one with a long-knife in his hand, the other with a gnarled, heavy oak club were drawing near to Cedric, who had gone to the aid of the fallen Hob. The Hobbit, finding the old fellow dead, had risen up as his eyes caught the movement of the two Orcs to his left. Brandishing his own knife and sturdy oak walking stick, he fended them off, driving them back from where he stood. Seizing opportunity to bring one down, he threw his knife with all the force he could muster. A satisfying thunk rewarded him as his knife sank deep into the Orc’s neck, dropping him in his tracks.

The other Orc took no notice of his fallen comrade, but ran Cedric swinging at him with his club. His hairy muscled arms outreached the Hobbit’s, his club soon finding purchase against the side of Cedric’s skull. Madoc fired a well aimed arrow and brought the Orc down. The Orc toppled over, falling heavily over the prostrate body of Cedric.

Madoc pulled out his skinning knife and ran to the aid of the fallen Cedric. Shoving the dead body of the Orc to one side, he knelt down by Cedric, cradling his companion’s head in his hand. Cedric grimaced as the blood flowed from the wound at his temple. Then reaching up for Madoc’s free hand, he clasped it tightly.

‘My mother,’ he gasped. ‘Tell her I love her . . .’ His voice trailed off as the light fled his eyes. Laying him down gently, Madoc whispered,’Yes.’

He looked up to where the last two Orcs were harrying Tom, Melody, and Daisy . . .
Old 03-31-2004, 01:44 PM   #87
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tom looked to his left as he saw Daisy run up to join Tom and Melody against the remaining two Orcs, which were now standing near to each to each other, snarling and grunting at the three Hobbits. Tom stepped forward and drew his knife from his pocket. “No more harm will come to any of these Hobbits as long as I am here to protect them!!” Tom bellowed. “And believe you me! I will rid this world of your filth if it is the last thing I do!!!” Tom’s voice rose and echoed through the land, but it did not scare the Orcs. Instead they just looked in surprise, wondering how such a small creature could make such a loud noise.

Tom fixed his wide eyes on one of the Orcs and ran towards it screaming, and he could hear the voices of Melody and Daisy as they charged to the other. Tom lunged towards the Orc but his arm was caught and his weapon was thrown to the ground. The Orc threw Toms arm in mockery of the Hobbits strength. But, to the surprise of the Orc, Tom brought his clenched fist back round and hit the hard face of the creature with a thud. The Orc backed away and gave out a scream, not of pain, but of anger and he looked back at Tom and snarled to him with an evil look on its face.

Tom did not back away and still dared to stare the Orc in the eye. It came back at Tom with one of his own powerful hits and he fell face first to the ground, tasting the cold snow. He turned to see the foul Orcs short sword, which was smeared with blood, of animals or one of the other poor Hobbits, Tom did not know.

As the sword came down Tom suddenly rolled to the right and kicked the Orc in its left leg, and this time the Orc was feeling pain from Toms hit. Tom rose from the ground with and with anger more extreme than he had ever felt before, the Hobbit leaped upon the back of the Orc and wrapped his arms tightly around his slippery neck. The large creature struggled greatly except still Tom clung on squeezing the life slowly from its body. The Orc could now not escape the grasp of the small, yet suddenly strong Hobbit, and it fell to its knees. Even on its Knees Tom were only a few inches taller than the foul being. With a last squeeze from Tom, the Orc fell to the ground and did not move again.

Tom spat on the dead Orc for all of its foul deeds and turned to see Melody and Daisy, unharmed, but still being harassed by the last Orc.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:23 PM   #88
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Niluial's post

Melody wasn’t thinking straight she couldn’t she wasn’t sure of her surroundings or what to do. She charged for an Orc and stabbed it in the stomach. Its huge, sweaty, smelly body fell to the ground with a large thump. There were too many Orcs, too many dead bodies and Melody lost hope. She stood there, watching not doing anything but standing. All she could think about was Ivy, her best friend, her first friend that lay there… dead.

She felt a sudden pain in her stomach, a jab but she had become numb to any pain or any thoughts. Everything was spinning, nothing was clear. Her breathing slowed as she fell to the ground. Melody heard a scream in the distance, it was Tom. He started to go wild stabbing and harming everything in site for revenge. Melody lay there surely I am dead she thought. She opened her eyes barely but saw Tom screaming and stabbing while Daisy set objects alight while waving fire in the air to keep the Orcs away. She couldn’t spot Madoc.

She saw an orc walk closer to her, she closed her eyes and acted dead which wasn’t hard for she wasn’t breathing much and it was an effort to keep her eyes open. After just lying there thinking of her Ivy the noise began to disappear. It is so peaceful and calming… Melody thought as she was sure she was dead. She heard a soft, gentle voice whispering in her ear. “Melody stay with us please” the voice stopped and weeping took its place. “Melody please! I love you and… and I want to know you for, for as long as I can! I’ll buy us a cottage and I’ll give you a garden or whatever please don’t leave me… I need you!”

Melody recognized the voice and with a huge amount of effort she opened her mouth and said, “Tom? I’m ok… I’m not… no…t going anywhere”
She opened her eyes and saw Madoc and Daisy too. They looked sad but had a slight smile. They had tear stains on their faces from their tears and dirt mixing.

Melody wasn’t too sure what had just happened, all she remember was blood. But it was gone. She wanted to ask what had happened. Why was she is such pain? What had happened to all the noise and blood? But she had no strength to ask the questions.

Last edited by piosenniel; 04-03-2004 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:30 PM   #89
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

The trip home . . .

The weather was sullen and grey as the Hobbits trudged west toward the road that would take them to Tookland. The expressions their faces bore were even darker than the gloomy day. Even the ponies moved along with their heads hung low.

Madoc sat on the wagon’s seat watching the trees pass by as the ponies clip-clopped along. Daisy sat on the seat beside him, her eyes darting about at the shadows beneath the trees. He knew she was wondering what dangers lurked in the darkness. Worried himself, he kept his bow strung, his quiver on his back, and his cudgel leaning against his knee.

‘There are only four of us left,’ he thought to himself. ‘Four of ten brave Hobbits who started out together.’ He touched his cudgel, giving himself some reassurance.

They were all tired and wounded in some way from their encounter with the Orcs. Tom sat in the back of the wagon, Melody held close to him, wrapped in a thick quilt to keep her warm. She bore the most grievous of the hurts from the Orcs, and Tom was determined that she would remain safe and whole until they could return to their little village.

Along the way they stopped at the Inn’s that had taken them in on their journey to Bree-land. The Floating Log at Frogmorton welcomed them with open arms as did The Green Dragon in Hobbiton. At each the Hobbits shared what they could with the good folk of the Inns.

On their sixth day, they came to the little road that turned south to Tookland. The familiar countryside about them, their spirits rose a little. The end goal was almost in sight . . .

~*~

Tuckburrough at last . . .

This last week Madoc’s sister, Prisca, had ridden out to the crossroads every morning and late afternoon. And every day had ridden back with a heavy heart. ‘No, Mother,’ she would say as she opened the door to their burrow. ‘No sign of Madoc yet.’ Madoc’s mother would sigh and turning away from the door, returned to her rocker by the fireplace. Taking up her knitting, the needles would clack away row after row driving the worrisome thoughts away.

Prissy was about to turn away this late afternoon when she heard the whinny of ponies just around the bend to the north. Her hands trembling she flicked the reins against her own pony’s flanks and sped up the road. ‘Madoc!’ she cried as the wagon hove into view. The joyful reunion between sister and brother was cut short as Prissy looked about the wagon, wanting to welcome back the other Hobbits. Her face fell and her greetings died on her lips as she realized only three others had returned.

‘So few!’ she whispered, tears threatening along her lashes. Prissy hugged each of the others and clasped her brother’s hands. ‘What happened?’ she said softly.

Madoc tied her pony to the back of the wagon and tucked her in between him and Daisy. Prissy sat close to him, gripping his arm as he spoke about the dogs and the Orcs and the awful weather. ‘They died bravely, Prissy,’ he said nodding his head as he spoke. ‘Indeed they did,’ said Daisy. ‘They did what they could so that we could get through.’ She wiped away her own tears with the sleeve of her shirt.

~*~

It was late evening by the time they pulled into Tuckburrough. A young lad they had met along the way had been sent ahead on Prissy’s pony to alert the village. The meeting hall in the town square had been opened, the fires lit. And by the time the weary travelers arrived, most of the town had gathered there.

With faces glad and sad the returned Hobbits were greeted by their friends and neighbors . . .
Old 04-03-2004, 02:54 PM   #90
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Silmaril

Melody was in pain but it all eased when she lay close to Tom. He was worried about her. Melody could see it and so could all the other survivors. Melody had many dreams whilst huddled in Tom’s arms. Many weren’t pleasant dreams; Orcs and Wild Dogs and her lovely Ivy. She could see Ivy’s big smile in her mind, she could see Ivy running in the fields of flowers. She wanted Ivy back; she wanted revenge or at least some closure.

Tom's words kept coming back into Melody’s mind, “I love you and… and I want to know you for, for as long as I can! I’ll buy us a cottage and I’ll give you a garden or whatever please don’t leave me… I need you!”
The words made her smile but was it true? If Tom hadn’t spoken to Melody she would have given up. The things he said gave her hope, a reason to keep going! She hoped and prayed that Tom really meant that. She pictured her garden filled with green, red, pink and yellow. She wanted to plant a huge tree where she could sit under reading a novel in spring time. Or a big, healthy rose bush that she could sit for hours admiring.

Tom played softly with Melody’s hair talking to her softly about the Shire. He reminded her of how it looked and how happy the people would be to see them. She opened her eyes slightly and tried to sit up but Tom begged her to rest and not move. So she stayed there covered in a quilt to keep her warm while Tom carried on speaking to her.

~*~

Melody heard talking and a different, happier vibe in the air. She opened her eyes slightly and saw Madoc with Prisca his sister. Melody smiled, “We are close to the Shire aren’t we Tom?” she said. Tom chuckled, “We are Melody, we are” he said with a sigh of relief.

Prisca looked sad when she noticed how few hobbits had returned. Melody didn’t want to picture all the sad faces when they return. But the ones who passed would be loved and honoured forever this Melody knew as did the others.

Melody could smell the distinctive air of The Shire. There was cheering in the distance, not far away as they returned. The wagon drew nearer and soon entered The Shire with a warm welcome. The happy cheers soon became shocked and sad. Only a few Shire Folk were there, not all. The others didn’t know of their arrival yet.

“Excuse me! We need warm water and some help for her first of all. She has been stabbed.” Tom shouted wanting immediate help. Melody’s wound was cleaned and bandaged up and she was wrapped in a warm quilt and put in a chair close to the fire place at Tom’s house. Daisy, Madoc and Tom were also cleaned up and bandaged where needed.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:51 PM   #91
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Madoc walked down the short path from the road to the door of Hob's house. He was dreading telling Hob's parents that their son was dead. He had with him a small package of food, a bad replacement for a son but it was all that could be thought of. His feet felt heavy as he walked down the icy path, he wanted to turn around and go back to his own family where he could be happy. 'no,' he told himself 'I have to do this one last thing'. He found himself at the door of the house. He knocked.

The door opened and out stepped a withered old gaffer. Madoc had only seen this man once before, but he could still see the change. His hair was disheveled and a few white hairs were beginning to show themselves. He was sloppily wrapped in an old and dirty blanket. Madoc noticed that the air inside the house was only just above freezing and the fire in the grate was nearly dead, but he wasn't here to worry about that.

Upon seeing who it was, the old hobbit's eyes lit up.

"You're back are you?" he said with a friendly smile. "And with food I see." He motioned to the parcel in Madoc's hands. "You truely are the saviours of the Shire you know, none of us could thank you enough. Oh, would you like to come in?"

"No, thank you, I shall be quick." said Madoc.

"Yes, I suppose you have your family that you want to get back to. No doubt they've been as worried as I have." Madoc felt a pang of guilt about the bad news he was going to give. Hob's father was being so friendly and cheerful though he was plainly hungry and cold, it didn't seem fair. "Speaking of family, where is Hob? Out giving food to the rest of the Shire I suppose, that sounds like him. Did he send you with this food? It's a pity he didn't come with it himself, I really wanted to speak with him as soon as possible. I have some bad news for him, his mother died not long after he left you see..." this was getting worse and worse, he should really just say it and be done with it before Hob's father came out with anything else that would make it harder for him.

"Mister Bolger. You are right, I am here on behalf of your son, but he is not handing out food to other hobbits-"

"He's not? Gone to get himself a drink or two then? Not unlike him and I can't say I blame him," interrupted Hob's father.

"No, please Mister Bolger, hear me out. The reason I am here - aside from giving you your food - is to tell you..." Madoc paused and gathered himself together.

"Yes? Out with it lad!"

"...Is to tell you that your son is dead." he sighed, that was it, he'd said it.

"He's what? Dead?" The old hobbit looked so pitiable, he was beyond Madoc's understanding of sadness and grief and Madoc felt so sorry for him, but he could do nothing.

"I'm so sor-" the old hobbit put his hand up to stop Madoc from speaking.

"Don't be, there was nothing you could do. And anyway they're together and happy now." he paused, "You go to your own home now. Thank you for coming, good-bye!" he went to shut the door. but Madoc stopped it with his foot.

"At least take the food will you?"

"Oh no, there are other people much more deserving of it than me. Now I insist, you go home to your family and have a good time, you don't want to waste the rest of the day standing outside an old hobbit's door do you?" a ghost of a smile flitted across his face. "Good-bye!" and he shut the door. Madoc stood there, looking at it, wondering whether he should knock again. Then he reasoned that the door probably wouldn't open again. So he took the old hobbit's advice and turned away.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:10 PM   #92
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Narya Daisy

Daisy was ready to return home. She didn't know what her parents would say, but she knew they would be happy to see her, and she would be happy to see them. As Daisy walked up the little garden towards the small Hobbit hole, she could feel her heart pounding heavily in her chest. She was nervous and happy at the same time. In her hands she was holding some food she had brought back with the other remaining Hobbits, while six Hobbits had died trying to get the supplies back to The Shire. Of those six, Gorby, her newest friend was among them. This saddened her while she was walking, but she tried to smile because she knew that Gorby had wanted it that way.

She knocked on the door, which she found rather silly since it was her Hobbit hole. Only a few moments after she just walked in. The hole was just as she remembered it; it was just the same. This enlightened Daisy. Suddenly she could hear the voices of her nephews. Their roaring voices led her to the dining room, where she could she her parents seated at the table. Holly, her sister, and her husband were also sitting at the table. To her big surprise however, her other sister with her husband as well, were sitting there too. The moment seemed to last forever, but then Holly ran towards Daisy and embraced her. "My dear sister has returned!" She announced and kissed her on both cheeks. "Yes indeed..I have..and here..I've brought some food," Daisy said merrily. Thereafter more hugs and greetings followed.

"You are here...both my sisters are here!" Daisy cried and she hugged Lily, her other sister. "It's lovely to see you Daisy" she exclaimed as she had to let her go; the others were waiting to get a hug from Daisy as well.

Daisy's mother started to weep, because she had started to loose hope, and didn't think Daisy would return. Now, however, she was overwhelmed and grateful that her daughter had returned to them safe..and alive.

Her father told Daisy how worried her mother had been, but how he, himself had known all along that Daisy would come back. "Your mother has counted each day, you've been gone...and each day she has lost faith..But Holly has tried to encourage her to think otherwise. I've told her plenty of times that you'd be fine, but she didn't believe me," he said a bit anxious. When Daisy heard this she ran over to her mother again and hugged her. "I'm here now, and I've brought food...and I'm alright," she said to comfort her. It seemed to work, because soon the big family where laughing at old stories from the past.

“You boys have gotten so big already..” Daisy said suddenly looking at the Holly’s small boys. “Yes, they’ve grown since you last saw them…” Holly replied. She seemed proud, and she had all reason to be; they were so adorable. “So, Daisy, are you going to tell us a bit about your journey?” Lily asked after a while. Daisy shrugged, and didn’t know what to answer. “I’m exhausted!” She laughed to hide her feelings. The truth was that she didn’t want to spoil the current atmosphere that seemed so merry and relaxed, by telling dreadful stories about wild dogs and Orcs, especially thinking about Holly’s children. Besides it would remind her too much about the Hobbits that didn’t make it back home, and she didn’t want to think about that now…She didn’t want to think about Gorby.

“In the morning perhaps..” Daisy muttered at last. The family respected Daisy’s wish by trying to make the evening as remarkable as they possibly could for the family member that had returned to them at last.

Last edited by Orofaniel; 04-04-2004 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:21 PM   #93
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Madoc helped unload the provisions then stepped back as some of the lads from Great Smials tucked them away. Others in the village had begun sorting them out into bundles, to be parceled out to the grateful folk who had already begun queuing up.

Prisca had stayed to help him and when the work was done they gathered up a basket of foodstuffs for their family and started home. ‘Wait,’ said Madoc, turning back to those who were handing out baskets. ‘I have to take back Gaffer Heathertoes wagon and team, so just let me take a basket back for them also.’

A half hour’s ride brought them to the Heathertoes’ burrow. The ponies whinnied as they neared the familiar barn, picking up their pace anxious to be back in the comfort of their stalls. The door to the burrow swung open as Madoc and Prisca climbed down from the wagon. The gaffer’s querulous question challenged their presence.

‘Who’s out there, stamping about in my yard?’ he demanded, his old eyes squinting out into the evening’s dim, grey light. ‘Oh my!’ His eyes caught sight of his ponies who, freed from their harnesses, ran up to nuzzle their old master.

‘Who is it, Da?’ Fairlight stepped into the doorway. Her face lit up with delight at the sight of the ponies. Another smile, wider than the first, beamed out as she caught sight of Madoc. Prisca nudged him, and he stepped forward as Fairlight came out to greet them. ‘We visited . . . often,’ Prisca whispered to him, giving him a sisterly shove to the small of his back.

There was an awkward moment of silence between Madoc and Fairlight once they stood face to face. He mumbled something unintelligible as he handed her the basket, then began taking the bow and quiver from his back, preparing to hand it back to her. Her hand came up and rested lightly on his arm, staying his efforts. ‘Keep it,’ she said in a clear voice. ‘I have no use for it.’ She looked closely at his face. ‘I trust you had good use of it.’

Madoc nodded, a grim look coming on his face for a few moments. ‘This homecoming is a pleasant time. Press me no further now about the journey, and I will tell you later of how your husband’s bow revenged his death.’

Prisca and the Gaffer stood close to each other, a conspiratorial look on their faces. ‘Madoc,’ directed Prisca, ‘take the small buggy and go get Ma, why don’t you. Fairlight and I and the Gaffer will get some supper going.’

Gaffer Heathertoes linked his arm through Fairlight’s and winked at Prisca as she picked up the two baskets of food and proceeded on into the little house. ‘Go on now, Maddy!’ called his sister, laughing as she closed the door behind her.

~*~

Madoc’s mother was overjoyed when she opened the door to his light knock. She hugged him so tight he could barely breathe, and her tears wet the front of his vest as she buried her grey curls against his chest. He, in turn, sighed gratefully at her embrace, murmuring words of relief at being home once again.

When she had wiped her eyes and a smile was on her face, Madoc slipped her cloak about her and ushered her out to the cart. They spoke of pleasant things as they went along; though often she would turn to him and catch the sadness that hid behind his smile.

The Gaffer came out to greet them as they pulled into the yard and shooed them into the cheery little dwelling while he put the cart and pony away. Delicious smells from the soup pot one grate greeted them, as did the enticing smell of fresh-made biscuits. Dinner passed in pleasant conversations – tales of what was happening in Tuckburrough brought them through the small dessert of dried apple pie. It was late when they had finished, and the Gaffer pressed them to stay. The snow had begun falling lightly and he saw no reason they should head home in it.

Fairlight and Madoc sat up late at the worn kitchen table, sharing the last of the chamomile tea. The others had gone off to bed and were tucked snugly under warm quilts, their bellies full, smiles on their faces. The little fire in the kitchen grate had burned down low, its orange embers winking into the shadows in the room. A comfortable silence had grown between Madoc and Fairlight as the fire hissed and popped.

‘Tell me if you will about the bow now, Madoc.’ Fairlight broke the silence with her quiet question.

Madoc leaned back in his chair, a frown on his face as he sucked in his breath. It had been so pleasant, this evening with friends and family . . . sitting here with her now . . . She leaned forward, putting her hand lightly on his arm to encourage him.

‘Go on,’ she said quietly.

Haltingly at first, the words fell from his lips . . .
Old 04-05-2004, 03:26 PM   #94
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Niluial's post

The Shire, though still beset with cold winter winds, was now a happy place once again. Of course, how could it not be happy since the Hobbits could have their six dinners again. The hobbits returned hospitable ways and their garden plots, but were saddened at the news of the deaths. It was dreadful telling the families that their loved ones had died, and all Tom and Melody could say was, “I am sorry,” knowing full well that those words held scant comfort..

A huge celebration, with plenty of food and merrymaking, was held to honour the Hobbits who went on the journey to get the much needed supplies. The ones who had fallen were especially honoured and, through the years, were remembered as heroes. To commemorate them, Melody planted six crimson rose bushes.

Madoc was reunited with his family. He still remained great friends with his fellow survivors but the memory of the six that were killed haunted him, and he often realized that he could have been one of them. He never forgot them, never forgot the wolves that had ripped Ivy’s throat, never forgot the cruel deaths of the others. They hadn’t deserved it, but who did deserve death? They had not died as cowards, but as heroes, and the Shire would remember them as such. They had brought supplies to the starving Shire, and the hobbits were merry as the snows melted and the grass turned green and the flowers bloomed. He would try to return to the life of a normal hobbit, but, even through the bounteous dinners and the curling tobacco smoke, he would remember them with fond sadness.

Daisy soon returned to being herself and spent most of her time with her family and adorable nephews. It amazed many at how strong Daisy had been! She was always smiling and moved on with life quicker than the others. But Melody, who soon came to know her better than anybody else, realized that it was a mere façade to cover the sorrow that lived within her. As the years fled by, Melody and Daisy laughed with each other, wept with each other, gardened with each other, and became fast friends.

Melody’s deep wound healed in time. Two months later, Melody and Tom wedded and, as Tom had promised long ago, she got her huge garden in which she grew many flowers and tall trees. They were a happy couple and cared for each other very much, but, though she had a husband’s love, Melody realized that she missed Ivy and that she was incomplete without her. In retrospect, she wished that Ivy had never gone on the journey. She could have been a happy hobbit, sitting by the fire, waiting for the tea to boil. When they had their first child, a daughter, they named her Ivy, who somewhat filled the hole that the first Ivy had left.

The four remained good friends and, once a week, they would stroll to the entrance of the Shire and would chat and remember their fallen comrades beside the six rose bushes Melody had planted. Trials and misery and sorrow had forged bonds of friendship that the other simple hobbits could not understand. Out of the death-ridden trip had been born friendships that would last forever.

Last edited by piosenniel; 04-06-2004 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:13 AM   #95
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

~*~ To Elvenhome ~*~