Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2004, 07:45 PM   #361
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe Deadline

It will be done by May, one way or another. However far we get in story form, I'll post a conclusion on May 31. I sure do hope we can actually tell the story instead of wrapping it up with some kind of half-baked epilogue, but if that's what it ends up taking, I'll do it.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:49 PM   #362
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe That bird....

Whatever happened to that bird, the pet of one of the Elven ladies, I believe?
Old 05-13-2004, 07:52 PM   #363
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
End of May is an arbitray end we had agreed on.

Do you have an idea of what sections of the story still need to be covered? Can you outline them here and then decide what it really would take to get through each of them in an adequate manner?

That would give me an idea of exactly when I can expect the game to come to an end.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 05-13-2004, 08:07 PM   #364
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe Story outline from here on out

The story outline consists of these points:

1. Battle with Mouth of Sauron - and his defeat or the party's escape.

2. Reunions at the Lake Evendim stockade.

3. Return to Bree with report.

That's it. We really ought to be able to get that much done by the end of the month, if we all post once every 1, 2, or 3 days. Right?
Old 05-13-2004, 08:46 PM   #365
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Corn! *gasp* I completely totally forgot about Lira's Corn...oh dear.

EDIT: LMP I did a bit of something with Lira and Corn...I decided to leave off Corn's attack of the MS to you, since I'm not sure how te MS will react. *evil Calvin grin*

I cannot believe I forgot about Corn.

Cheers,
Imladris

Last edited by Imladris; 05-13-2004 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:35 PM   #366
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Sting

Thanks, Lira. I was casting about for how to deal with the Master. Now we have a way. I'll post up tomorrow. I'm way past my bedtime already. Cheers!
Old 05-15-2004, 08:29 AM   #367
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I managed to post about Thoronmir's role in the battle, and I will bring his story to a close after the group reaches the settlement. At the beginning of the RPG, I said that he had given up being a Ranger, but since the events in this story, he's had a change of heart. With the remaining Rangers at the settlement being somewhat in need of a strong leader at the moment, I believe Thoronmir could stay with them as their new leader while the rest of the party returns to Bree.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:34 PM   #368
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien Not set in stone!

Friends, I have a feeling that I wrapped things up too quickly and nicely. All I needed was Corn to distract Herugor, and bingo. So there you have it.

From here on out, it seems to me that the story is going to revolve around mourning for Lira, reunions at the settlement, and report back to that 1st cousin Hobbit of Merioadoc, whose name I can't even remember off hand.....

Lira, your latest post was a thing of beauty. Truly Tolkienian in spirit. I'm a happy game owner.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 05-15-2004 at 09:00 PM. Reason: added note
Old 05-17-2004, 08:12 PM   #369
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

White Tree

Eswen, that was a beautiful post! I'm hoping to hear from Lumiel and Gorby yet, and maybe something from Anson too, for that matter. And my dreams would come true if Elora would post for Uien, but I'm not going to hold out for that one. I'll give it two more days and then move us to the reunion at the settlement.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:49 AM   #370
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Thank you LMP! I was worried on account that I don't think I made it quite sad enough.

What are we going to do with Lira's body? I know its a bit rude to ask, but are we going to burn it on a pyre, or are we going to bury her and if so where? Should we bury her in the Shire, so that Gorby and Anson could visit their beloved friend's grave, or should we lay her body to rest in one of the Evendim Hills?, so that her tomb may be acknowledged by others that an Elven Lady aided in the destruction of the Mouth of Sauron to keep the lands of Middle- Earth safe. That is of course if her tomb is marked.

Its sad that things are finally coming to a close
Old 05-19-2004, 06:52 PM   #371
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien Lira's body

Good question, and I have given it a wee bit of thought, but nothing decisive.

Burning on a pyre is out. Even though that fits Celtic mythology, it doesn't fit Tolkien's construction because burning on a pyre carries the meaning that the spirit is rising with the smoke and flames into the great beyond, and Elves know better.

It is more in keeping that Lira would be buried, since Elves are (as well as being so in tune with the spiritual dimension) very much in tune with root and leaf and ground. Think of Arwen in Lorien at the end of her days, for example. But Lira? Where did she call home? That would be the most appropriate burial ground, unless there was a place that meant even more to her.

Your suggestions raise an interesting question to me: were Elves buried in terms of what they meant to others, or in terms of what was most dear to themselves while they were alive? What would an Elf think about this? Any guesses? Wow! Sounds like a discussion thread topic for Books, no?

Yes, it is sad that things are coming to a close, but they needn't for the characters. I can imagine Falowik and Uien carrying on, somewhere, somehow, and Falco has learned just enough tolerance for Big People, as well as a new sense of just what he's capable of, that he might get it into his head to go on a journey, and maybe with some Big Person that he knows better than most. I wish I had gotten to develop more of a softening in Falco's outlook, but that can happen beyond this story. And heck, I really like Eodwine a lot. He was my firstest rpg character here at the Downs.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:56 PM   #372
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

White Tree

As for Lira's home, that would be Mirkwood. Even though she travelled abroad she always went back there.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:29 PM   #373
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Please remember to refer to Mirkwood now as Eryn Lasgalen - it was renamed after the War of the Ring, when the Shadow that infested it was lifted.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 05-20-2004, 03:50 PM   #374
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien

Thanks for the kind reminder, Pio.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:40 AM   #375
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Quote:
Your suggestions raise an interesting question to me: were Elves buried in terms of what they meant to others, or in terms of what was most dear to themselves while they were alive? What would an Elf think about this? Any guesses?
I'm not sure, it may depend on the situation. If conditions allowed they would probably try to bury them in a way and a place that was dear to the deceased. But if that wasn't possible I'm sure they would try to find a means that would still be respectable. Like when Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli sent Boromir down the river Rauros.

But since the company doesn't seem to be pressed by any great matter, it would not be a bad thing for Eswen and perhaps one other to travel to Eryn Lasgalen to return Lira to her homeland. That could be a possible way to end this RP, the group splitting up once again with the bulk going to Bree and the Shire while three or so make their way south to Eryn Lasgalen.

Unless of course it would be best for Esgallhugwen to return with them for her side of the report, then she can go, but I don't think its a very good idea (not to mention least respectful) to be carting around a dead Elf body.

What do you think LMP and anyone else?

Yes, I can actually see all the characters carrying on, somehow. I would really love for Esgallhugwen to be in another RP, she's my very first character that I've made, and this was my first rpg that I've ever played in!
Old 05-22-2004, 10:19 AM   #376
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien regarding Elvish burial practices

I'm thinking Eryn Lasgalen is the right home for Lira. I think your point, Eswen, is quite valid that Lira's body should not be carted through Bree. The Elves in the party would find it necessary, it seems to me, to seek out other Elves, using Osanwe, to form a funeral march to Eryn Lasgalen, that would have the feel to it that is seen at the end of LotR when Gandalf, Galadriel, Elrond, and Bilbo pass quietly (like flitting moonbeams) through the Shire at night. So it seems to me that Lira will be borne to the settlement, where Eswen and Lumiel will meet Uien, and there Gorby and Anson and everyone else will be allowed to pay their last respects. From there, the Elves, I think, would make their way to Rivendell, accompanied by any of the party who wish to go there, while the remainder return to Bree. Sound okay?

By the way, Eswen, I've really enjoyed your role in this rpg. Thanks for being a part of it. And I hope that maybe Falowik and Eodwine may meet her again on the road that goes ever on and on. Come to think of it, I'll have to think about what Uien would want, compared to what Falowik would want, in terms of whether to go to Bree or Rivendell! Hmmmm......
Old 05-23-2004, 07:27 PM   #377
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien Please do post, friends

Please do post, Evendim friends. I realize that I sometimes get carried away with supplying all kinds of action, but you can tell me you want to do something different than what I write for your character. And if you're okay with the actions I've described, feel free to fill in details, or to move the story forward. We have one week left before this is complete. We're on schedule, and I'm happy about that.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:29 PM   #378
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

All your ideas are absolutely lovely LMP, it sounds good to me and I like how you've portrayed my character in your post hopefully Lumiel will agree, so that perhaps we could work together on a post, if not I could make up one for the both of us If thats ok with her.

I'm probably going overboard but I've decided to make a lament (or at least a snippet of) for Lira. I've never really written a lament before but I do write poems and prose occasionally, and I'm thinking of doing it in Quenya (just to be complicated), I'm using "Ardalambion of the Tongues of Arda" for reference. I've never written in Quenya, so my rhyming skills could be a bit iffy. Haha, my actual rhyming skills in english are probably a bit iffy too

However, if you find that this could be a bit too much, feel free to stop me, after all it might wind up being a botched attempt.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:22 PM   #379
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien a lament for Lira

Glad you like what I've been doing, Eswen. And by all means, Eswen, proceed with the lament! I'm eager to see what this looks like! I'm wondering if you'd care to present an English translation on the discussion board? Perhaps you'd be willing to entertain suggestions for the lament once it's up?
Old 05-24-2004, 01:30 PM   #380
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

White Tree

Yes I like the idea of a lament and I think it would be in the true spirit of Tolkien.

I doff my hat to you, Eswen, for being able to write elvish....

Old 05-24-2004, 01:55 PM   #381
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

White Tree

Imladris, your post for Gorby just about brought me to tears. Very good!

And yes, I'm a sucker that way.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:24 AM   #382
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Sure once I get the lament done I'll post it up to take ideas. I don't know how long its going to be and I decided I probably won't have it ryhme, only becuase it would be difficult for me to do so in Elvish. But I hope its still good, I'll get it up soon.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:47 AM   #383
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril May I be permitted to say....

I realise that my name is mud, and rightly so, owing to my loooooooong absence.

I posted in homage and to convey the high regard I hold you all in. Having read through your wonderful work, I hope that I may say:

CONGRATULATIONS!

Well, having emerged from enforced isolation, I suppose I should stick around long enough for you guys to throw rotten tomatoes at me for abandoning you all.

Not that you needed me. Far from it. Such fine writing, I am simply over the moon and astounded at the quality of work and story telling (and more than a little miffed at circumstances that led me to absent myself for so long - boy, did I miss out!)

Let the tomato throwing begin

*Elora holds arms out and resigns herself to a pelting with good cheer*
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 05-26-2004, 09:34 AM   #384
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye The Lament

Ok, I have two versions, I've been trying to think really hard on this but lots of other stuff is going on. Like my grad this saturday for instance, but thats besides the point.

Hope you think there fairly reasonable, please feel free to make suggestions to me, this is the first time I've written a lament and I have no idea what I'm doing

First one:

Lira Nen where now does she dwell?
No longer in Eryn Lasgalen or Fair Ithilien
Her sweet voice will not be heard in these lands again

In the raging storm doom called her
Alas! That her body was broken in that evil place,
That her soul was imprisoned in the shadows.
In the darkness the red demon came but she defied him.

A! Elbereth Gilthoniel!
silvren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath,
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!

Her very essence was star and moonlight
And so she quited the earth when dawn rose.

The sea calls, white shores and emerald fields
Silver and gold flowers sway in the ocean breeze
Birds sing enchanting melodies.

No more tears shall be shed from her crystal blue eyes
No longer will she weep from despair in these mortal lands,
No longer will she feel the pain of death around her

Rest now in sacred Valinor, beloved Lira
Rest now away from the toils of Middle- Earth
In the land of eternal twilight.

Second one:

Light fades, sun sets, twilight breaks, night rests as the shadows come.
To the dark gate the company marched
A storm roared in hunger, doom called Lira Nen
Alas! That her body was broken in that cursed place

The blood of others was the evil ones undoing,
Now the enslaved are set free.
Behold the light of Valinor, dearest Lira
Go now and dream in harmony
No more troubled by the perils of mortal lands.

**Well there they are I'm not sure about some of the lines, but tell me what you think and what I should change (if anything, though I'm sure there are a few things that could be improved) Then I'll translate it into Quenya

Oh and by the way, I would never want to throw tomatoes at you Elora, I can understand how busy things can get sometimes. And I think even though you havn't been here alot you've still contributed nicely to the story!

Last edited by Esgallhugwen; 05-26-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:17 PM   #385
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
*feels bad about how little work she put into the RPG* *wouldn't be suprised if her name was mud, too*

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Old 05-28-2004, 04:35 AM   #386
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril Where to after Bree?

Esgallhugwen , appreciate your patience.

Alatariel, when I said everybody, I meant to include everyone who posted to this RP. I hold your contributions in no lesser light. Of that you can be assured. Now hand me back that mud you were making your name out of. I need to build a mud wall to defend myself from the barrage!

Forgive me if my last 2 posts seem to add nothing by way of forward momentum. I am loathe to sail in and forward things along - it would smack of rudeness and arrogance for me to do so.

I gather that events will go now to Bree, where a report on the events of Eodwine's rescue shall be made.

Will the tale beyond that also be told in this RP - such as the escort with Lira's body?

Just idle questions rattling around, rather loney, in the drafty space my brain once inhabited (if scientist interpretation of fossilised evidence can be held as reliable and accurate).

My 2 cents, worth really 1.4 US cents roughly, is that events following on from Bree may well fall outside of the scope of this RP, particularly if time pressure to wrap it up is being felt. If not, and people are willing, the post Bree report "chapter" could continue on in this RP.

What do the rest of you fine folk think?
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 05-28-2004, 08:32 AM   #387
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Please people I would love for you to look over my two laments and say which one you'd prefer more, and any lines that should be revised, changed, or added in any way so I can get on the translation, I'm afraid I might not have any time to do so on Saturday because of my grad.

It would be greatly appreciated to hear what you think or if you think its best to drop the whole idea.

Eternally,
Esgallhugwen
Old 05-28-2004, 08:56 AM   #388
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

White Tree

*smacks head* Forgive me, Eswen, for not getting back to you. I was thinking about it and it....sort of slipped my mind.

I prefer the first one. It has lots of elvish themes to it. Not crits at all.

Cheers,
Imladris

Old 05-28-2004, 06:30 PM   #389
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril I vote for the 1st

The first seems more in keeping with the style of Elvish laments to my mind also, and so my voice is added to Imladris'.

Both are fine work, just a sense of more Elvish-ness in the former is all.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:43 PM   #390
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I think I'll go along with Imladris and Elora and say the first song, Eswen. I like both and considered it carefully, but I agree that the first sounds more Elvish.

By the way, Elora, it's good to 'see' you again! I hope you're doing well!
Old 05-28-2004, 09:18 PM   #391
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

White Tree Laments

Eswen: The first Lament is the more lyrical and Elvish sounding. The second one reminds me of the Norse, so that would more likely come from someone from Rohan. Unless that's the Dark Queen. I like them both in their own ways.

One change or so I would make before you edit the 1st version into your Eswen lament post:

Her very essence was star and moonlight
And so she quited the earth when dawn rose.

Elves probably wouldn't talk about "very essence", so... how about.....

Her heart was star and moonlight;
She quitted earth when dawn rose.

Another suggestion; instead of

Birds sing enchanting melodies.

how about....

Birds sing songs of enchantment

....I don't know - mine's not much better, it's just that I'm looking for a more flowing feel to the line.

And I'm sorry but the next line always reminds me of a shampoo...

No more tears shall be shed from her crystal blue eyes
No longer will she weep from despair in these mortal lands,
No longer will she feel the pain of death around her

How about....

Never shall her crystal eyes be stained with tears
She shall weep no more from despair in mortal lands
No more shall she feel the pain of death

I'm not exactly sure why I prefer the latter to the former. You decide.

The parts that I haven't commented on for suggestions, are exquisite!

Elora (and others):

Time is indeed pressing on this rp. I plan on a final closing post to be uploaded on May 31, which will include the journey and report in Bree, and the denouement in terms of each character.

It seems that the preferred method of keeping various characters going is to go to the Inn of either the Shire, Gondor, or Rohan, and branch off from there. An alternative to that, is to request permission from an appropriate rp leader to dove-tail into that rp. Yet another alternative is to beg, borrow, and plead with Pio for the mercy to follow the progress of various characters to wherever they're going until they arrive at one of the three Inns, or another rp.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:09 AM   #392
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

AH, then to the Inn shall Uien go, for she gave her word to return to those she left to commence this venture.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:03 PM   #393
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien

Eswen and Lumiel, it's in my head that Lira's body, and Eswen and Lumiel, will not be there in the morning, and that Uien will know that they have left, and when, and any other details, etc. Sound good? If you haven't gotten back to me by tomorrow, that's what will be written, although I'm sure I can change it from that if you want.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:09 PM   #394
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Thanks for your input guys, it helps me continue with my work to know that other people like it! LMP your critiques are appreciated, I'll change those lines it sounds better with them, way more Elf like, more flowing.

Ha, I guess those lines do sort of sound like a shampoo commercial.

New Herbal Elves formula doesn't burn sensitive Elven eyes and keeps hair silky and clean when fighting orcs.

Anyway, sounds good to me LMP, Eswen and Lumiel will more than likely be gone before the rest wake up. Now I have to start on the translation.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:42 PM   #395
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Shield

Hmmm... I thought Finëwen was going to go with Eodwine! If she goes with Eswen and Lumiel instead, Eodwine is going to have something on his mind.....
Old 05-30-2004, 06:46 PM   #396
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

whoops sorry I just edited it and got rid of Finewen, but if she does go it might make things interesting as to what Eodwine would want to do. We'll have to see what she thinks about it.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:59 AM   #397
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

As littlemanpoet has put up the epilogue, I have closed the game to posting. I will leave the game in the Shire for a few days, should someone need to tweak a post. You can just leave a note for me here on this thread.

Nice game everyone!

~*~ Pio
Old 06-01-2004, 07:31 PM   #398
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

Pio, can I still edit my final post with the thread closed?

Elora, sorry for not waiting for, or including, Uien's revelation to Falowik. If the epilogue can still be editeed, we could include it there, or you could post at The Green Dragon.

Any other issues or concerns?
Old 06-02-2004, 01:47 AM   #399
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

I'll open the game for 24 hours.

Please do all your edits by then. Once I send the game to Elvenhome, noone can edit but Mithadan, or an Administrator.

~*~ Pio
Old 06-02-2004, 04:38 AM   #400
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril Uien's Tidings

No need to apologise, LMP!

No harm, no foul.

I'll detail that at the Green Dragon Inn. Seems fitting as that is where Falowik and Uien first met.

Wonderful work one and all and many hearty thanks to Pio, wonder Mod, for helping and guiding us along the way.