The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Tolkien Events 2011

The Tolkien Society A.G.M will be held on Saturday 16th April at The White Hart Royal Hotel in Moreton-in-Marsh...... are any Downers going?
Old 04-09-2011, 05:02 AM   #2
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Oxonmoot

This years Oxonmoot will be held between 23rd and 25th of September at Lady Margaret Hall again..... any Downers going?
Old 04-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Thanks for the infos, Narff - I'm not attending either of the British events, skipping Oxonmoot this year but attending the big conference next year.

The next event coming up in Germany is the Tolkien Seminar, taking place in Potsdam (near Berlin) from April 29 to May 1. For more information, check out the DTG webpage. The topic this year is "Tolkien and the Middle-Ages". I will be attending to listen and learn! Admission to the seminar is free, no registration required.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I won't be attending Oxonmoot this year, narf, but hope to make Return of the Ring next year.

Do all members attend the AGM?
Old 04-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

No, The A.G.M is not normally big, but it is once again a chance to drift into Middle-earth with those of a like mind..
Old 04-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I think a lot of people may skip Oxonmoot this year for the Big Event in 2012, The Hobbit will be well underway and the lens of this world will once again train itself on Middle-earth.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien Seminar.

The Tolkien Seminar: Tolkien and the Middle Ages, organised by The German Tolkien Society, will be held at the Potsdam University in Berlin from April 29th to May 1st.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien Seminar

There will be a Tolkien Seminar held on the 30th July at The Bar Convent in York, the subject will be Tolkien and Trees.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc View Post
This years Oxonmoot will be held between 23rd and 25th of September at Lady Margaret Hall again..... any Downers going?
Well that's my Registration for Oxonmoot paid for........... anyone else going...
Old 08-02-2011, 07:26 AM   #10
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Omentelvo Cantea- 4th International Conference on Tolkien's Invented Languages.
11th- 14th August Valencia Spain.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:29 AM   #11
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Grand Annual Meeting XIII.
11th-14th Agust Idrija, Slovenia.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand I'll be at Oxonmoot

Thanks for the information on the last few events, narfforc. I'll be at Oxonmoot in September.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #13
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I can't make Oxonmoot this year, narf, as the timing conflicts with an event in Buenos Aires, which has been long in the planning stages. I do hope to attend Return of the Ring next year, though.

We will be looking for a report from this year's Oxonmoot, from any of you able to attend.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:19 AM   #14
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Discover Tolkien in Moseley Bog. 20th August. It is free and leaves from Sarehole Mill at 2pm.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:27 AM   #15
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Tolkien Trail. 14th Aug. A 7.3 mile bike ride taking in the local settings. It is free and the starting point is the Billesly Tennis Centre off Wheelers Lane. A bike with off road tyres is the most suited for the terrain.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #16
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

C.S Lewis and J.R.R Tolkien Tour by Oxford Official Guided Walking Tours.
Adult Ł8.50
Child Ł5.00

Sun 18th Sept 13.45-15.45
Sun 16th Oct 13.45-15.45
Sun 13th Nov 13.45-15.45

info at www.visitoxfordandoxfordshire.com/tours
Old 08-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #17
The Squatter of Amon Rűdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rűdh
Pipe Oh, go on then.

I'm planning to do Oxonmoot again this year, if there's any money left after that Finnish expedition. Probably best to stay away from the bookstalls this time.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #18
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I will not be attending Oxonmoot this year, but I look forward to the Return of the Ring next summer!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 08-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #19
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien Art and Book Exhibition plus Mini Festival. 19/20/21 of August. Wynnstay Hotel, Machynlleth, UK.

www.wynnstay-hotel.com

Old 09-26-2011, 06:50 AM   #20
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Oxonmoot done and dusted great time, good lectures, much Orc-brew quaffed..... missed my Barrow-Downs friends though.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:22 AM   #21
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Were you the only Downer there this year, narff?
Old 09-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #22
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Yes I think I was....
Old 09-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #23
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Did Faramir Jones not attend? And no Squatter?

I knew some time ago that I would not be travelling over the pond this year, as hubby had a business conference in Buenos Aires at the same time, which was a one time opportunity. (There'll always be an Oxonmoot . . . ) But I do hope to make RotR. Will you?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #24
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I will be at RotR....Faramir was there.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:47 AM   #25
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots Oxonmoot 2011

I was at the 'moot, as narfforc correctly said. It was again held in Lady Margaret Hall, and there were fewer people this year. This I expected; because I knew of people, from elsewhere as well as on the Downs, who said that they were preparing, in financial and other ways, for the big conference in Loughborough in 2012.

That said, I enjoyed myself very much. Apart from people I saw at other 'moots, there were some new people, including the Resident Director of the C. S. Lewis Study Centre at The Kilns, a very interesting lady.

Notable talks included one by Bob Blackham, illustrated with slides, about his new book, Tolkien and the Peril of War, which had contemporary illustrations of the places and times relating to the latter's WWI service:

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/...ril_of_War.php

I found it moving, having a family member who died in that war.

I was also amused to hear, though I knew this already, that the war made the wearing of wristwatches by men socially acceptable! Previously, they tended to be worn by women.

Also very interesting was a talk by Dr. Dimitra Fimi, dealing with making interesting connections between Tolkien and Rudyard Kipling. Her lecture was entitled, 'Kipling, Tolkien and their 'mythology for England': From Puck of Pook's Hill to The Book of Lost Tales', and fitted in well with the talk she gave on fairies at the last 'moot.

I had spent a few days in Oxford before the 'moot began, looking around. One place I went to was the Museum of the History of Science, which had a very interesting exhibition on eccentric scientists and objects associated with them. One was of relevance to Tolkien: an Edison-Bell cylinder phonograph used by academic Joseph Wright (1855-1930) to compose his English Dialect Dictionary (1896-1905):

http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/a-very-speci...ry-phonograph/

Wright was quite an extraordinary individual, rising to the top of his field from very humble origins:

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/archive/...eaming_spires/

He's relevant here; because he was a very important intellectual influence on Tolkien, also being one of the latter's tutors when he was an undergraduate.

How did you find the 'moot, narfforc?

Last edited by Faramir Jones; 09-30-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #26
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Thanks for the report on Oxonmoot,Faramir. It sounds like there was still much of interest despite it being a less--attended moot. And how was your paper received?

There's so much to see in Oxford itself. Perhaps some next moot in Oxford we can organise a Downer trip to the barrows that are near the city.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #27
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420! Thanks and a few things

Thanks for your reply, Bęthberry. Yes, while there weren't as many people at the moot as previously, I had a very good time, and those I saw and talked with also appeared to be having a good time. It was appreciated that the barbecue on Saturday night had better weather than the one last year, for example.

I didn't mention earlier an interesting Australian fan and collector at the 'moot, Fortinbras Proudfoot.

My paper was well received, over 40 people turning up for an early morning slot, which I appreciated. There were, however, some technical problems, my changing of overheads on the computer not happening on the big screen. I had to call on one of the tech people to help a few times. I persisted with the lecture, however, and finished within the time, but with only a little left for questions. Those people who had been there and talked to me afterwards thought it was good; so I was pleased.

I agree with what you said here:

There's so much to see in Oxford itself.

I usually spend a few extra days in the city before the 'moot, so I can look at the sights. That way, I don't need to worry about whether I'm missing something if I leave the relevant college.

Esty and I did meet up on Thursday one year, the day before the 'moot, and had a great time.

Perhaps some next moot in Oxford we can organise a Downer trip to the barrows that are near the city.

That's a nice idea.

Another attendee at the 'moot has put up his account of it on his blog:

http://wotanselvishmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #28
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
Thanks for the report on Oxonmoot,Faramir. It sounds like there was still much of interest despite it being a less--attended moot. And how was your paper received?

There's so much to see in Oxford itself. Perhaps some next moot in Oxford we can organise a Downer trip to the barrows that are near the city.
Which mounds do you mean? The ones by the White Horse at Uffington? I know that people from big countries often have a different idea of near!!!

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #29
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

I was thinking of Wayland's Smithy, Mithalwen, which, yes, is near the White Horse and Uffington.

Ancient Britain--Wayland's Smithy

Some of my summer reading about Tolkien mentioned a barrow he could have known in the area. I've forgotten the specific reference but assume this is it, but will tread back to the books to verify.

Is this one of those "had we but space and time enough" pond differences?
Old 10-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #30
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
There is a pillow mound by the White horse apparently and the earthworks of Uffington Castle on the very Tolkieny Dragon Hill Road!

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote