The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2003, 02:12 PM   #41
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Come east. We had a dusting of snow last night. But it was too cold to snow much: in the fourteen years I have lived here, I could count the number of times I've seen ice on the bay on one hand. This morning was one of them.

Welcome to the Helcaraxe???
Old 01-28-2003, 03:16 PM   #42
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I have NEVER been east.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:20 AM   #43
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

There is barely enough snow outside to cover a hobbit's toes. But we did get a fresh dusting last night.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:42 PM   #44
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Pipe

Quote:
I have NEVER been east.
Really? No New York? No Washington D.C.? No (surely not) trips to the hallowed halls of Duke University?

Heh. The western-most I've ever been is Knoxville, Tenn., so I really shouldn't be talking.

Duke, in the meantime, is turning out a bit too much like Bree to my taste. You know, plenty of shady characters, nothing overly exciting happening.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:45 PM   #45
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I have been to Florida, so I suppose that's East, but no, none of the places you mentioned.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:30 AM   #46
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Okay, we're into February.

This may sound extremely bizarre to some of you, but last winter I read that Tolkien specifically dated the Ring quest to go from Christmas (Dec 25 the fellowship leaves Rivendell) to Easter (March 25, Ring finally ends up in the Cracks of Doom.) I know there are calendar issues, but I'm not a Shire-calendar major, nor an elvish calendar expert, so I tend to cheat and just pretend it's all the same (Tolkien put it all into english calendar for us, so I feel somewhat justified in doing so; so shoot me.)

Now, I'm an evangelical, but this is another aspect of Tolkien's catholicism that intrigues me greatly, and the obvious parallel between Frodo's final journey and the catholic season of Lent, which is oriented towards Wandering in the Wilderness: can be compared to Jesus' 40 day fast, or Moses' (or even the Israelites' 40 years wandering in the desert; bit of a stretch, but the analogy is permissable to many, especially considering the parallels between Maundy Thursday and Passover, although that's kind of backwards too since the Isrealites had Passover first and then wandered afterwards... where was I?)

Anyway-- since I made that association between the destruction of the Ring and Easter, late winter has become a significant time for me regarding letting things go. I relate it to the Ring quest, quite a bit; what are the things that I should be letting Iluvatar have, instead of holding onto them?

Sometimes I finally arrive at the mountain, claim the thing for my own, and find that somebody bites it out of my posession, and so learn that being bitten is not always such a bad thing, so to speak. Especially if there's a Sam nearby to drag one to safety.

The church-calendar Lent starts on Ash Wednesday which changes depending on when Easter falls-- Ash Wednesday falls on March 5 this year. But relating it to the Ring-quest instead-- just for kicks-- counting backwards from March 25 (which this year happens to be a Tuesday), forty days, then a ring-quest-oriented "lent" would start on Friday Feb 14 or so.

Interesting that the company of the Ring set out from Lorien on 16th Feb.

So... 14th, or perhaps the 16th Feb to March 25... I wonder whether I'll do anything to "celebrate" that. ('Celebrating' lent... who came up with that phrase?) Connecting the Mythos this way seems very appropriate to me. Anyway, I wondered whether anybody else was intrigued by the parallels, or perhaps celebrated/ observed them, or connected them somehow with their other observances.

From the Encyclopedia of Arda:

16 February The Company of the Ring depart from Lórien.
25 February Death of Théodred at the First Battle of the Fords of Isen.
26 February Boromir is slain by Orcs; the Fellowship of the Ring is broken.
29 February Uglúk's Orc-band is destroyed by the Rohirrim. Merry and Pippin escape into Fangorn Forest.
2 March The Second Battle of the Fords of Isen.
3 March Destruction of Isengard by the Ents.
10 March An army out of the Morannon captures Cair Andros and invades Anórien.
13 March Aragorn captures the fleet of the Corsairs at Pelargir.
14 March A dispute breaks out in the Tower of Cirith Ungol, leading to open battle between the Orcs in the Tower.
15 March Death of King Théoden in the Battle of the Pelennor. He is succeeded by his nephew Éomer.
15 March The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.
15 March The pyre of Denethor.
25 March Destruction of the One Ring and final downfall of Sauron and his Nazgûl.

[ February 05, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 02-06-2003, 10:57 AM   #47
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Where I am..

Well,
I am on my way home with my own Fellowship (which consists of many many people), the quest is over, and no one was lost (except the old me).
Though, it has been a long and hard journey to Mordor...

The way to Rivendell almost cost me my life, but I made it there. And the journey turned out to be much longer than I first thought..
We had to go all the way: The cold Caradhras, the deep and dark Moria, the peaceful and beautiful Lothlórien (the stay there was much too short), Anduin, Emyn Muil, the Dead Marshes, the Wasteland, Ithilien (again, too short a stay), and the whole long and terrible way to Mount Doom.
I was taken captive too, which would have been the end for me, hadn´t my forever faithful ones saved me.
The last bit to Mount Doom is the hardest thing I have ever been through, and I despaired, it definately seemed like we would never make it. At last I able to cast my burden into the Fire, with a lot of help and support from my Fellowship. (No need of a Gollum, fortunately.)
We had made it, but we were changed, never to be the same again.

I am not feeling as bad as Frodo did, and I certainly hope I will never have to go to Valinor for healing. I have won (although the price I had to pay might have been just a little too high), though, the remnants of my burden are showing from time to time, and that tells me that everything is not over yet, which things seldom are in this world.
Well well, he who lives will see...

What I am talking about:
In May 1999 I lost my mother, she committed suicide. I was almost 14 years old. A terrible shock, of course, and half a year later I got a depression, which is what I call my burden.
The journey has been long and hard, I have often despaired and been close to dying myself, but I am still alive, still hoping, still fighting...

Eärendil

[ February 06, 2003: Message edited by: Eärendil ]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:45 PM   #48
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Earendil,

Thanks for posting your journey. There are few things more difficult than losing a loved one to suicide, I think. I lost a friend to suicide and that was horrible (still is.) How much harder it must be when one's mother does this. I am sorry for what you have gone through, and glad that you persevered and have come through it. You'll be in my prayers.

grace and peace, --mark12_30
Old 02-06-2003, 04:55 PM   #49
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eärendil:

You are in my prayers as well.

* bows a greeting simple in action, deep in intent *

Gandalf the Grey
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 10:24 PM   #50
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Eärendil, my thoughts are with you too. My own experience has been similar, and so my heart goes out to you.

Keep fighting and keep hoping.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:51 PM   #51
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Oh, I am so sorry about that Eärendil

I wish you all the best [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2003, 06:01 AM   #52
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Quote:
Though here at journey's end I lie
in darkness buried deep
beyond all towers strong and high,
beyond all mountains steep,
above all shadows rides the Sun
and stars forever dwell
I will not say the day is done
nor bid the stars farewell
Old 02-10-2003, 06:10 AM   #53
Vardamar
Haunting Spirit

Vardamar has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I am now battling it out in the Pellenor. Wish me luck. Once I am finished, I will ride a great winged beast (airplane) to the great cracks of doom in Arizona(Grand Canyon, and the fortress of Baradur(Los Angles). I will also see the bridge of Kahzad Dum(golden gate bridge)
Old 02-10-2003, 10:47 AM   #54
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Hang on everyone, spring is on the way!
Old 02-10-2003, 01:21 PM   #55
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Snow....Ewh! (has that look on her face that movie Gandalf had right after the balrog fell) I am so "over it"! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2003, 02:20 PM   #56
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

You won't appricate the snow until it's gone [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] or when you've never had it.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:10 PM   #57
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I'm sure I could never catch up with everything, but let me hit a few points:

I began my reading of Tolkien back in 1977-78. There was a fellow in our Algebra class who was reading FOTR. I was surprised to see him actually READING A BOOK, first of all, and so I wondered what it was. He told me. I looked into matters and saw that TH came first, so I checked it out that afternoon at the local library. Soon I had read TH and LOTR.

Since then, I've read them both, and then the SIL when it came out in paperback, almost every year. Last year, I read TH and LOTR aloud to my wife (see link in sig for RealAudio samples). So I've read LOTR on the order of 20 times, though I've lost an exact count. My late 70's paperbacks, the ones with the Tolkien watercolors, are falling to pieces. I have newer editions of TH, LOTR, and the SIL. Like Red (Hi!) I've also read LOST TALES and am working my way through the HOME as leisure permits.

I have a little leisure at the moment. As long time Barrow-wights are aware, I have been away for a while. This brings me to the second main theme of this thread, where am I in the journey?

(BTW, check out the little map to the side of this post...)

I suppose I am leaving Rivendell, in a way. Last September and December I had surgery, and the Mrs also had surgery in December, and we're really just getting back to speed. (Thanks to the healing virtues of the elves at Springhill Memorial and Mobile Infirmary!)

My laboratory technician job ran dry this past Friday, so I've been putting in applications this morning for new work. Moria may lie ahead. Caradhras is not far (finding a job in Mobile, AL in the 4th year of a local recession may not be easy).

I introduced Choctaw County to D&D shortly after reading Tolkien, perhaps before the second reading. AD&D followed. I've played both sides of the table, and enjoyed it immensely.

I noticed that several of you oldsters are writing your own works! I invite you to check my signature for a link to THE HOBBITS, an LOTR sequel buried here on the Downs. (I'll be looking in on Bolco as time permits!) It's had some good reviews. The old Barrow-Wight himself informs me that 40-something people were reading it last week alone.

I'm presently working on a post-apocalyptic fantasy (according to Tolkien's notion of a Fairy Tale) based on certain Jewish/Christian notions of the Millennial Kingdom. ETA: Christmas 2003. Publish Date: ??? Financial Remuneration: (Probably diddly-squat! Hey, Mithadan! Do you represent would-be authors? You could probably pick up some business on this thread!)
Old 02-10-2003, 03:18 PM   #58
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Pipe

Quote:
Hey, Mithadan! Do you represent would-be authors? You could probably pick up some business on this thread!
But Mith's a lawyer, right? Don't you need an agent in order to get published? Sorry for the boring tought, anyhoo.

I am with those who are sick of winter. It's not the snow that bothers me (we've only had it twice here in Durham), it's the lack of it. Winter in North Carolina is mostly ugly, grey, and windy, and I despise it from atop of my high aesthetic standards, and anyway, I want to bust out the mini-skirt again.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:16 PM   #59
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Yeah...Everything is the color of cardboard in winter. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I am so sick of wearing turtle necks, but would freeze if I didn't.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:12 PM   #60
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

After having bobsledded my way home through the hills white-knuckled through every intersection and sweating on every slippery slope, and then having to go out again (over different hills but no less treacherous) because I was out of dogfood, I am finally home.

I am now gazing soulfully out at the delicate white tracery outlining every oak limb and twig to utter perfection, and listening to the perfect stillness (only occasionally disturbed by the grinding of a steel plow blade and diesel engine) and watching old puppy-footprints soften and fade under the soft rounding of the new snow.

Perfect. It's perfect. It's like a jewel, like a snowflake in supersize. Every curve of the ground is graceful and elegant, every branch is a glistening treasure.

I know the elves prefer greenery, with no winter. And I'll be glad to greet the golden crocuses--Elanor!-- and snowdrops--Niphredil!--, late though they are this year! But I love the bare branches, and when they are wrapped with snow, they are lovelier still.

For the glory of this moment, I can ignore the ice-dam in the garage rear-gutter.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:57 PM   #61
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Amazing-- it's still snowing, very softly, and there is no wind-- but I can see two stars. Well, one of them might be jupiter.

(edit) Make that plenty of stars plus the moon; still gently snowing.

[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 02-10-2003, 09:48 PM   #62
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

Mark that sounds so beautiful, I wish I was there , it sounds so wonderful. As long as you don't have to drive though it. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2003, 11:10 PM   #63
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Hey, anybody seen Tom Bombadil around lately?
Old 02-12-2003, 11:32 PM   #64
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots

I saw him last night, running through the blizzard, laughing! The snow flakes didn't stick to him! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2003, 09:11 AM   #65
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't know much about it, but I assume the best literary agents ARE lawyers!
Old 02-16-2003, 04:33 PM   #66
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

* a familiar grey figure crunches into view over the rise of ice-encrusted snowdrifts in sturdy boots, hat pulled down to his bushy brows, cloak close about his neck, a hint of icicles about his beard, pipesmoke streaming thin along currents of flurrying wind *

mark12_30:

As a matter of fact yes, I visited Tom and Goldberry this past January 19th, at the House of Bombadil! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

You see, the Historical Interpreter for the park system where I volunteer is the spitting image of Old Tom, right on down to the merry banter, singing, and fiddle-playing! And he hosted a potluck dinner for the volunteers of the voyageur canoe program.

Wind chimes of azure blue and silver rolled out rich tones on my arrival. Door was open, and I let myself in, for all the rest were just sitting down to supper. A hearty meal it was, of ham and spiced green beans with mushrooms, of sausage and stuffed peppers, of white rolls with butter, of pie and cake, beer and coffee.

We spoke of the ways of chipmunks, and of boating on the river. There came a sad tale, for Tom had gone walking and come across a dead fox that someone had hunted and simply left behind.

There was a table for children set with candles, and the tiny flames seemed to cast a spell to make them well-behaved and keep a decorous quiet ... for we grown-ups had no candles at our table, and it was we elders who were full of boisterous laughter!

We then went and sat before the hearth where a strong fire blazed ... and would you believe, Tom invoked the very topic of this thread ... With eyes and smile as warm as the afternoon summer sun, he asked us each to tell what we were doing to enjoy the winter! The magic of it was such that winter itself seemed to thaw into a golden blending of time, so that I ended by forgetting what day it was. And any who were cold were laughingly encouraged to sit in "the hot seat" closest to the fire ... People took turns, shivering as they came, but not shivering, nor sitting there, for long! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

But there was a more touching magic, the magic of an unspoken wish come true. For last year, someone as a surprise had brought a cake decorated with a drawing of Old Tom, his boat, and each one of us volunteers who together form a fellowship. We were each served the slice of cake bearing our image on the frosting, and laughingly devoured it all too soon. So this year, I hoped for the same sort of surprise ... only one more tangible, lasting. When lo and behold! Tom brought out a parcel of shirts bound up with string, and began passing them around to each of us ... and there adorning each shirt was the very same drawing of our fellowhip that had graced the cake a year ago!

At last the time came for visitors to depart. Tom, Goldberry and I kept our spirits up at our farewell, though all three of us keenly felt at that time the uncertainty of where my road would lead. Thus, we did not wish to say good-bye, preferring the promise of, "I'll see you again in the spring!" The road of course, goes ever on, and leads to ever more adventure ... but may the road never lead me so far as to keep me from returning to this house and these friends!

Gandalf the Grey
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 05:17 PM   #67
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Except on the high moors of the North Farthing, a heavy fall was rare in the Shire, and was regarded as a pleasant event and a chance for fun. - The Fellowship of the Ring, "The Ring Goes South"
So how are all the North-Eastern Downers enjoying our "event"? I went to work Friday evening expecting an icestorm that would strand me at school overnight, and walked out into a glowing, quiet world of snow instead.

All winter we have suffered through, small, nasty snowstorms, leaving little snow but much bitter cold and cloud covered skies. This one though, reminds me of the snows of my childhood, when dad could build us a snow fort as high as our house, and you could walk through the fields and orchards following the tracks of foxes, rabbits and deer. The air was calm, the cold not deadly but invigorating, and coats and scarves actually offer some protection.

Of course, I can write this knowing I have a warm house to return to after I've had my fun. "There and back again", as it were.

[ February 16, 2003: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 03:24 PM   #68
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Thumbs up

Helen is in Washington with me and she is missing this storm. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2003, 04:03 PM   #69
Lush
Fair and Cold

The higher powers cancelled class yesterday due to the ice and snow (which is about seventy five percent slush by now), so I spent the entire day in my a bathrobe, reading, writing and drinking (tea), feeling like some sort of feminized and Russified Bilbo Baggins figure (THAT'll be the day!).
Old 02-25-2003, 07:49 AM   #70
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I experienced one of my favourite times of transition this morning, walking outdoors before sunrise. When I stepped out of the door (a dangerous business! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) the stars shone brightly, the waning moon cast pale shadows and Venus sent greetings from the dark blue heavens. As I walked, the eastern horizon lightened and reddened, the blue of the sky grew paler, the first bird sang a lonely, cheerful song. The stars faded, the moon itself became but a shadow in the lightening sky, night turned into morning.

Many thoughts accompanied me on my solitary walk; experiencing those changes actively, instead of just standing or sitting to watch the sunrise, gave me the feeling of making a journey. Moving from night to day (“Day shall come again!” ) as a symbol for new hope, moving from the cold, clear winter of the night to the warmth of a sunny, spring-like morning as a symbol of new life and growth.

For the first time, I was aware of another analogy – the fading of the stars as the Fading of the Elves, who loved them and honoured Varda, and the dawning of the Age of Men…
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 02:44 AM   #71
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

What a great thread! As my form of Christianity does celebrate Lent, I am pondering how I can best honor the suffering of Christ. So I am preparing to be taken into the Tower of Cirith Ungol. There I will lose my mithril coat, my Elvish sword, cloak and brooch; and will start on the journey to Mount Doom without the protection I thought they offered, depending instead on friendship, love, hope and duty. If there is a dark night of despair as the journey nears its end, hopefully I will see how even things dear and useful can burden us and slow us down. I hope I will be able to cast them away so I can come to my journey's end and revel in the victory of love over evil and death.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:27 PM   #72
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Just this morning I was sniffing the air and enjoying the thawing smell, and thinking that Ithilien was on its way... and -- wham! Back to Caradhras!

They've closed 95 southbound due to several many--car accidents, and there are accidents on other roads (3, 24) as well.

And despite my husband's wise warnings, of course I still wore my birkenstock sandals today. What was that line about the snow being barely deep enough to cover a hobbits' toes? I am afraid it will get a little deeper than that....

[ March 07, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 03-07-2003, 11:21 AM   #73
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought the rain which issued in March last weekend signified a change on the horizon...but, four or so more inches of snow later, and temperatures barely making it into the teens (F) today, I realize it will still be a long while before I see the days of lazy evenings and fireflies. Having come to {Helcaraxe} on January 1, I have yet to see the green (or brown maybe?) of the fields, or the leaves that will hopefully grow on the tree outside my door. At least another month, maybe two, will pass before I see a sign of color in the flower bed.

But when snow drifts melt away, I know I will be sad in a way to see them go. In my mind, there is nothing more serene or peaceful than a quiet snow falling on a grove already blanketed with white in the late afternoon light of a hazy sun. The ice covered branches and bushes appear like a crystaline kingdom scene and I'm transported to the eternal winter-night of Narnia. With my faithful Huan by my side I tread along the drifts while the snowflakes gently land on the boughs of the pine trees.

Luckily the wardrobe door is not far off and I can slip back inside to warm the fingers and toes. Sadly, no one is there to great us, as my loved one is away on his own adventure with the Rangers of the North. So I cozy up with a mug of hot tea and my hardback copy of Lost Tales, Huan breathing soundly at my feet, both of us awaiting warmer days and my Ranger's return.
Old 03-15-2003, 03:05 AM   #74
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Hopefully it will be spring soon, but while crawling across Gorgoroth, with dwindling Lembas supplies, it's hard to imagine spring coming at all, let alone being in Ithilien to enjoy it... how is everybody? Hanging in there?
Old 03-15-2003, 10:26 AM   #75
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Trying to get by and enjoy the early Spring and the sun while it's here, as I am preparing to leave this place (at least for a while) to travel over the great sea and into the West to the one who is waiting for me there. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2003, 01:39 PM   #76
Lush
Fair and Cold

Sting

Ooh, Maika, so very cryptic. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

As for me, I'm singing in the rain, looking forward to wearing the mini again. Have I made it? So far.
Old 03-15-2003, 06:31 PM   #77
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

It is definitely spring here in Houston, Texas. Loads of flowers and 80 degrees. The AC in my car is broken, and I've decided I best get it fixed soon.

sharon
Old 03-15-2003, 09:37 PM   #78
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

The first spring days have arrived in Indiana! I love the trilling of the red winged blackbirds. Robins are running around everywhere, looking comical, and agitated. I'm starting to think about all my garden decor and goodies. I almost got some of the wind chimes out, but I know there will be a "last blast"!
Old 03-15-2003, 10:27 PM   #79
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

Oh yes, Spring, such a wonderful and hopeful season. The little flowers have already bloomed on many of the trees, and the daffodils have come and gone. Though I could really use some of Galadriel's dust to help my garden grow (because I so don't have a green thumb). And unlike Bilbo and Frodo, who seem to get the urge to travel in the Autumn, I am getting the very strong urge to travel from my homeland right now. The Spring's and Summer's are lovely here. But I just want to go and find new places, and have adventures of my own [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2003, 11:33 PM   #80
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm still staggering across Gorgoroth, despite having a small rest in the form of a balmy 60-70 degree weekend. However the dark clouds aren't gone yet, and are expected to dump more snow by week's end.

The emotional landscape has been quite grim since last week, with no liklihood of relief anytime soon. However, I continue - hoping even the smallest actions may still have beneficial results.

I'd give a great deal to see the geese returning - never mind robins (or Eagles?), geese migrating north are the true harbringers of spring in my part of the Midwest.