The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-22-2004, 08:58 PM   #1
Iaurhirwen
Wight

Iaurhirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Iaurhirwen
SAG Awards

Another victory for LOTR with an OUstanding cast award.

Present were, actors wise:
-Sean Astin
- John Rhys-Davis
- Liv Tyler, who gave the into
- Andy Serkis
- Bernard Hill, who did the main thank you note
and . . . . . . .
-Billy Boyd in a kilt!

One more awards show down. Now let's take the Oscars!
"Will somebody find my pants?" - "What do you do with a drunkin sailor?" - "You have a giant mole!!!!" - "Tom!! Get out of the Girls's dressing room!" "But she asked me to help find her pants!!" - - - opening night chaos
Iaurhirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 03:51 PM   #2
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Well done! *applauds* they fully deserved this award, and all the more since there are no nominations for the cast at the Oscars.
Quote:
Billy Boyd in a kilt!
Except Reuters had to screw up and confuse him with Dom..yet again. When will they ever learn??
Old 02-23-2004, 06:01 PM   #3
Sindar

I've never posted on movies forum before since I'm not much of a fan of them... they are good but they just don't do the books justice (just my opinion). I did watch the SAG Awards though, and I admit I was pretty snoozy by the time they got to LOTR so let me know if I'm wrong... but I don't think any of the crowd onstage mentioned JRRT even once. I would think they would have at least acknowledged the inspiration for their successful movies. Did I miss something? If I did consider me apologetic.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:33 PM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
No one mentioned the Professor, unfortunately, but I was inordinately pleased to see Return of the King winning Best Ensemble. Those actors and crew members definitely deserve all the accolades that they can get!

I do admit though, Billy looked rather adorable in his kilt! When RotK was announced as the winner, it looked like he was dancing his way up to the stage. Of course, the way that Bernard Hill, Sean Astin, and John Rhys-Davies were elbowing each other to get the mike was rather amusing too.

BTW, does anyone else know why Sean made that rather dark speech about paying attention to the Screen Actors Guild year-round, rather than just at the Awards?
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 07:42 PM   #5
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Quote:
BTW, does anyone else know why Sean made that rather dark speech about paying attention to the Screen Actors Guild year-round, rather than just at the Awards?
I don't know why he made that speech, but it was awfully funny when John R.D. slid him to the side like that

But back to the speech... From what I have heard he could be beginning his campaign to be elected Guild President sometime soon. His mother was SAG President at one time too.
But, yes, I have to agree that was one of the most bizarre acceptances I have ever seen, and I personally didn't think that it was completely appropriate. Sean is a very wonderful and generious person, but I just didn't think that it was the right thing at the right time.

(That was terribly off topic)

But it was wonderful that they won. They were so absolutely deserving. One fun thing about the SAG's to note though is that everyone that was on the main credits (Elijah through Sean Bean) gets their own award.

I can't wait for the Oscars! It will be so great! I just hope that more of the cast will be able to make it
Old 02-23-2004, 07:50 PM   #6
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
In truth, I expected that. Many of the recent movies have excellent casts (Mystic River - yes siree) but LotR had SOOO MANY good cast members in it, it had to win, in my opinion.

I was dissapointed that J.R.R.T. was unmentioned, but SAG awards are more about actors than actually movies, so the actors could thank everyone they had personal debts to. At the Golden Globes, PJ acknowledged Prof T and if RotK gets the most coveted oscar, he won't forget, I'm sure.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 08:26 PM   #7
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
The RotK gang was a bit disorganized. Sometimes when you watch these kinds of things, you realize how much actors really do need writers.

Astin's speech was referring to some ugly internal strife that has marked SAG politics over the past few years. One large and divisive issue is a series of failed attempts to merge with sister performers' union AFTRA. The very public and bitter in-fighting isn't projecting the sort of strong, united, committed image you want your union to have when they go to negotiate contracts with the producers.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 09:27 PM   #8
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Quote:
At the Golden Globes, PJ acknowledged Prof T and if RotK gets the most coveted oscar, he won't forget, I'm sure.
He will most definitely thank Tolkien
That is one good thing about the Oscars. If they take Best Picture Peter Jackson, Barrie Osbourne, and Fran Walsh will go up to accept, and I would think that Peter will say most of the speech. I do think that most likely some of the actors will come up too (depending on who is there, I hope many can make it though) but I doubt they would say anything.

It will most definitely be the producers moment They deserve it

Oh and thank you Underhill for explaining the SAG situation further. You always seem like a person who is much more educated in Hollywood matters than I
Old 02-23-2004, 09:35 PM   #9
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
My Oscar predictions may prove otherwise.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 02:51 AM   #10
Kidd2323
Animated Skeleton

Kidd2323 has just left Hobbiton.
Strange..that a film not nominated for any indiviual acting awards at the Oscars would win best acting ensemble at the SAG's...I hope it isn't the kiss of death for the Oscars, even though I didn't think the movie did JRRT's masterpiece any justice, I did enjoy the movie on it's own merits...I want RotK to win, just because I love the books more than any other book on this planet (other than maybe the Bible.) And, yes, hopefully every actor (that means you, Viggo) will be present when they DO win! Even us dissatisfied JRRT fans should rejoice! Credence to JRRT!
Old 02-24-2004, 06:45 AM   #11
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I think they definitely deserved an ensemble award - there was no especial stand-out performance worthy of a single acting award, except Sir Ian.
But just to add a naughty off-topic comment, I'm so pleased Johnny Depp won SAG best actor!
Lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:56 PM   #12
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
Billy Boyd in a kilt!
Really?!?! *sob* I can't believe I missed him!

Kudos for the win for the cast though. Huzzah!

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 02-24-2004, 02:51 PM   #13
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
What is kudos, anyway?

I hadn't heard of the SAG awards before...how many awards are there exactly? Good that we go best Ensemble or whatever it was though...

What's this whole thing about ROTK's hopes for getting best film or whatever dying??? I'm sorry, I'm not really on the ball here...

When are Oscars anyway?
Old 02-24-2004, 06:14 PM   #14
Iaurhirwen
Wight

Iaurhirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Iaurhirwen
Thumbs up

Oscars are this Sunday, February 29th (at least in the US they are . . . don't know about elsewhere)

The SAG awards are the Screen Actors Guild awards where the actual actors and not some committee votes for who wins.

Kudos = Congratulations

Yey for Johnny Depp!
"Will somebody find my pants?" - "What do you do with a drunkin sailor?" - "You have a giant mole!!!!" - "Tom!! Get out of the Girls's dressing room!" "But she asked me to help find her pants!!" - - - opening night chaos
Iaurhirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:12 PM   #15
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Oh man! I can't wait until the Oscars!!!!

On-topic: Thank you, Mr. Underhill, for clearing that up. It just didn't seem appropriate at all for a thank-you speech. Initially, what Bernard Hill was saying was wonderful, but then Sean took over and left everyone going "Ummm...." Thankfully, John's little elbow-the-hobbit-over bit brought a few laughs, which kind of lightened the mood. I was still left going, "Sean! What were you thinking?!?!?! Did you go out drinking again?!?!"

Off-topic: The Passion is going to be an amazing movie! Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until this weekend to go see it.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 11:00 PM   #16
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Quote:
Oh man! I can't wait until the Oscars!!!!
Me too, I utterly can't wait!
I am going to be attending a little party with some of my fellow fans, so it will hopefully be a ton of fun

And additionally that was one of the best SAG shows I had ever watched though.
It was the best kind of award show, short and sweet

I am still going to remind everyone... Don't miss the first part of the Oscars, it is most likely going to be laugh out loud funny
Old 02-25-2004, 02:23 PM   #17
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Billy Boyd wearing a kilt. NICE!
I am so glad they won the award. Now I am curious about the Oscars, they are this week!
I was surprised that Johnny Depp got best actor because I thought the guy from Mystic river was going to get it since the awards seem to like him so much. However YEY for Johnny Depp.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:52 PM   #18
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
I read in Entertainment Weekly that ROTK is the pick to win best picture with a 70% chance and PJ to get best director with a 68% chance. The odds sure look good.

Oh...if anyone was wondering where I was well I was skiing in Montana. I had a blast!

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 08:13 PM   #19
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Sean took over and left everyone going "Ummm...."
I always found him to be quite odd (in a bad way), and rather annoying.

That's why I did not bother the SAGs. Knew he'd be there. How annoying was he?

I'm evil, I know, but he really does get me truly annoyed. Not that not too many people do that to me...

Johnny Depp got one? Blargh. Rather sad that he needed eye liner and braids to get recognized as an actor.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote