The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 08:27 PM   #2001
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
You know you're addicted to LotR when you now have a framed map of Middle-earth hanging up in your room... because it's your birthday present.
Or when you have two middle earth maps in the bedroom (one belonging to you, and one to your better half), and a third in the home office with a matching map of Beleriand.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #2002
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Or when you have two middle earth maps in the bedroom (one belonging to you, and one to your better half), and a third in the home office with a matching map of Beleriand.
That's brilliant! I've got three more, one of Beleriand, one of Numenor, and one of the map in the Hobbit, Wilderland. These other ones haven't been framed yet though. They came in this book thing. It's great!

Also, when your mum says "And he's got a bombadier jacket." And you think she says "And he's got a Bombadil jacket."

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 03-11-2009 at 08:33 PM.
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:36 AM   #2003
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
One-upmanship

You know you're obsessed when you don't even need a map to look at.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:49 AM   #2004
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
When you have all of Tolkien's books on your iPod (Poems, history of Middle-earth, and the books) so that it takes up all the space you have.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #2005
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
When you have all of Tolkien's books on your iPod (Poems, history of Middle-earth, and the books) so that it takes up all the space you have.
Since very recently (about two weeks ago just now), it's similar with me
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #2006
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
You know you're obsessed when you don't even need a map to look at.
Well, that's... I have a very undetailed map of ME in my head, but I haven't been able to memorise all of the places, now THAT would be scary.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #2007
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Well, that's... I have a very undetailed map of ME in my head, but I haven't been able to memorise all of the places, now THAT would be scary.
I could probably find Umbar more quickly than I could find Hertfordshire, which is a bit disturbing...and last week I had to call up Multimap because I'd forgotten where Coventry was...

Mind, I am the person who once joked at work that I don't have a passport because the only 'foreign' place I want to go to is Middle-earth and the only passport I need to visit that is a copy of Lord of the Rings. I'm such a geek.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #2008
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Wait, scary?

I thought it was normal...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #2009
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Since very recently (about two weeks ago just now), it's similar with me.
Finally, someone who uses the iPod for higher purposes than music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I thought it was normal...
Only in your own mind. Still, being normal a boring thing, being extraordinary is better.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #2010
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
I could probably find Umbar more quickly than I could find Hertfordshire, which is a bit disturbing...and last week I had to call up Multimap because I'd forgotten where Coventry was...

Mind, I am the person who once joked at work that I don't have a passport because the only 'foreign' place I want to go to is Middle-earth and the only passport I need to visit that is a copy of Lord of the Rings. I'm such a geek.
That's okay, I can't find these places on a map either. Of course, I don't have a map of Britain, and I have a map of Middle-earth.

But, wouldn't you want to go other places too? Like... Gallifrey?
Old 03-13-2009, 02:45 AM   #2011
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
That's okay, I can't find these places on a map either. Of course, I don't have a map of Britain, and I have a map of Middle-earth.

But, wouldn't you want to go other places too? Like... Gallifrey?
This is true. But I'd have to rely on the Time Lord in the blue box to get me there! It's not as easy to get to as Middle-earth is

And I'd probably have to go back in time as well, and if the Time War is time locked then I'd end up like Dalek Caan...
Old 03-13-2009, 05:42 AM   #2012
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Only in your own mind. Still, being normal a boring thing, being extraordinary is better.
Yes, well. You see, it's rather that I thought it surprising and pitiful that there is anybody who does not know where Rhudaur or Khand is.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #2013
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Yes, well. You see, it's rather that I thought it surprising and pitiful that there is anybody who does not know where Rhudaur or Khand is.
Indeed.

Anyway, I wonder what does it tell of my mind that I have dreams where a friend of mine wants to rewrite LotR so that she corrects all the plotholes and illogicalities and end up explaining her why using the eagles wouldn't have made any sense...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:48 AM   #2014
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
This is true. But I'd have to rely on the Time Lord in the blue box to get me there! It's not as easy to get to as Middle-earth is

And I'd probably have to go back in time as well, and if the Time War is time locked then I'd end up like Dalek Caan...
No, probably not. Besides Middle-earth, like you said, is so much more easy to get to.

I started reading the Hobbit to my mum's friend's five year old daughter.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #2015
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Today, I was scanning about 300 page-long book. I did not even pay much attention to what's been inside the book at that moment: just scan, turn the page, scan, turn the page... Now what does it say about me that suddenly, I spotted words "Men of Erech" on one page? What worse, I checked with the book's index and the word "Erech" occurs only once in the whole book. Scary.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #2016
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
When at school you need to write the word "habit" but you by mistake spell it as "habbit", which you then correct to "hobbit" without thinking, only later realising your mistake.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #2017
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
When at school you need to write the word "habit" but you by mistake spell it as "habbit", which you then correct to "hobbit" without thinking, only later realising your mistake.
Whoops! That sounds like something that I would do! Did you turn this in before you realised this?
Old 05-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #2018
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Finally, someone who uses the iPod for higher purposes than music!
Tolkien Music.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #2019
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

You know you're obsessed with Tolkien, at least, when you are extremely jealous when your friend gets a new Tolkien book, and you don't...
Old 05-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #2020
Aiwë
Newly Deceased

Aiwë has just left Hobbiton.
:p

Quote:
Yes, absolutely, definitely and all the time.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #2021
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwë View Post
Yes, absolutely, definitely and all the time.
Glad to see I'm not the only one!

And welcome to the 'Downs, Aiwë!
Old 05-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #2022
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Glad to see I'm not the only one!
Not in the least!

To-day, instead of actually listening to the presentation in school, I drew a hobbit hole, well Bag End. I showed it to some of my friends because I was so proud of my accomplishment! Then there was this annoying child who said "What's that?", that ruined my satisfaction.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:28 AM   #2023
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Drawing a picture of a hobbit while waiting for my niece to get through at the doctor's.

When she came out and saw what I drew, she goes "Is that Merry, Pip, Frodo... or Sam?"

Hehe. She is only seven, but well on her way to becoming obsessed. She can't wait until she can read the books on her own. xD
Old 05-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #2024
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
A friend and I volunteered to decorate the safety board at work last month, the subject was walking. So, obviously, we featured Bilbo's Road Poem on it.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #2025
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
You know you're obsessed with LOTR when...

Everytime I'm in a group of friends and we are trying to decide on a movie to watch the first thing they do is look at me and firmly say "Not the Lord of the Rings again." hehe

Or same goes for my English teacher in highschool, we had to read 3 books for his class and check by him to see if each were ok, he looked at me and said "No, you can't read all three of the Lord of the Rings books for yours, pick one and only one", before I had even told him my plans.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #2026
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
Everytime I'm in a group of friends and we are trying to decide on a movie to watch the first thing they do is look at me and firmly say "Not the Lord of the Rings again." hehe

Or same goes for my English teacher in highschool, we had to read 3 books for his class and check by him to see if each were ok, he looked at me and said "No, you can't read all three of the Lord of the Rings books for yours, pick one and only one", before I had even told him my plans.
You could have gone for the Silm and Hobbit too!

Also, when you find the french words "nous saurons" amusing.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #2027
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Quote:
Also, when you find the french words "nous saurons" amusing.
Ahahahaha....yeah, that's wonderful.

Or whenever I hear someone use the word "aghast" I think of Radagast.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #2028
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It was pretty amusing to find out that Israel's Eurovision song this year was made by Noa, Mira Awad - and Gil Dor.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:51 AM   #2029
Middi-chan
Newly Deceased

Location: I spend most of the time stalking that allusive group, the fellowship it's a fun past time ^^
Middi-chan has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eressië Ailin View Post
Looking back on the first page of this thread...

I was watching the whole movie in my head during math, when the bell rang. My friend came up to me and told me that class was over. I was like, 'Shut up! I'm watching a movie!' I told I that Gandalf had just said, 'Just tea, thank you.' This got me some very strange looks.
I have done that exact thing before only I had gotten to the firework of the dragon and was just up to 'Lets get another one' lol my friend Ashlea stared at me so weirdly
Old 06-11-2009, 02:17 AM   #2030
Middi-chan
Newly Deceased

Location: I spend most of the time stalking that allusive group, the fellowship it's a fun past time ^^
Middi-chan has just left Hobbiton.
obsessed

You know you're obsessed with Lotrs

When you hold an unconsoleable grudge against Arwen for stealing Glorfindel's horse in the movie despite everyone telling you it is just a movie.

This of course does nothing to change your mind, and only makes you consider Peter Jackson being in on it (guilty)
Old 06-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #2031
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
When you have to elaborate on some topic and the first example that comes to your mind is from LotR.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #2032
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
When you have to elaborate on some topic and the first example that comes to your mind is from LotR.
That's just normal... erm... *glances around*
Old 06-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #2033
FeRaL sHaDoW
Wight

FeRaL sHaDoW has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to FeRaL sHaDoW
When you stop and ask yourself what would Gandalf do?
Old 06-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #2034
Babidi Buu
Wight

Babidi Buu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Babidi Buu
When you see wedding rings, thinking one of them is the One Ring?
Babidi Buu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:00 PM   #2035
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nessa Telrunya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Nessa Telrunya
When you make yourself t-shirts involving random phrases that went around Barrow Downs*guilty*(I made a chibi one of Boromir as the disco king.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:39 AM   #2036
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middi-chan View Post

When you hold an unconsoleable grudge against Arwen for stealing Glorfindel's horse in the movie despite everyone telling you it is just a movie.
My family watched FotR this week. I was complaining the whole time, "But that didn't really happen!" or "She wasn't really there!". This is while my parents are telling me to shut up because I'm "spoiling" the film. I know the feeling...

EDIT: I made up a new game today that involves LotR. You write down as many names from LotR as you can remember. Sometimes you can ask for help, today, my mum suggested Gil-Galad, she doesn't even know who Gil-Galad is!

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 06-21-2009 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Gil-Galad was an elven king, of him the harpers sadly sing!
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:27 PM   #2037
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
my mum suggested Gil-Galad, she doesn't even know who Gil-Galad is!
That's brilliant! Stuff like that should happen more often to me.

Last edited by Eönwë; 06-23-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #2038
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
That's brilliant! Stuff like that should happen more often to me.
You want to change mothers? Mine's really annoying. She'll start talking about some sort of Tolkien-esque thing and she doesn't even know what she's talking about. I'll say "Mum, that wasn't even in the book." and "You've never read about Tom Bombadil!" She does the same thing with Doctor Who...
Old 07-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #2039
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nessa Telrunya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Nessa Telrunya
You know you're obsessed when you put little rubber bands on your ears to make them pointy.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:53 PM   #2040
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessa Telrunya View Post
You know you're obsessed when you put little rubber bands on your ears to make them pointy.
wow...just...wow...

why didn't I think of that?