The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2007, 02:27 AM   #41
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
Really, I can't imagine he'd win an Elven lord in a song contest anymore. Not without the help of a bunch of Orcs.
I hope not!

More seriously, I think neeker-breekers are surely really horrible and possibly even scariest. Even the thought of them makes me shudder.

And in the Hobbit, Thranduil, his Elves (well maybe except the butler, Galion), the River and the whole Mirkwood are much more scary than say Smaug.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:19 AM   #42
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Yes....eactly what were those woodelves doing with the movable fires and feasting, in and out, on and off? Were they luring the starving company into a trap? Were they dumbly oblivious? Or were they simply selfish, cold and uncaring......that whole bit was quite annoying. Weird creepy elves ......
Old 04-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #43
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Bill Ferny was actually very scary when I read the book for the first time.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #44
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewhoarisesinmight
He destroyed a whole civilisation!
That civilization he destroyed was going to destroy a civilization.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:04 PM   #45
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
So, he still did it didn't he. As I said I wouldn't want to get the wrong side of him because obviously has no qualms about smiting.

(sigh) I probably shouldn't have mentioned him because conversations about Eru always get people worked up.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:01 PM   #46
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Actually, your post sounded like you were saying he did that as an evil act. He's strong to have destroyed Numenor, but that wasn't an evil act.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:01 PM   #47
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
So, he still did it didn't he. As I said I wouldn't want to get the wrong side of him because obviously has no qualms about smiting.

(sigh) I probably shouldn't have mentioned him because conversations about Eru always get people worked up.
lol. You can mention him, just don't mention him in a bad way... There's a real Eru, you know, and you don't want to be on the wrong side of Him! But it's because of this real 'Eru' that people get all huffy and puffy about what's said about Eru. It's just easy to be riled up in the matter.

-- Folwren
Old 04-11-2007, 03:03 PM   #48
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:

I agree, ultimately, Eru must be the most scary character in the whole work! True, he's not a traditional 'horror' or 'monster', nor is he one of Melkor's spooky, twisted minions. He isn't some earthly horror nor is he a power hungry person. But he is in control, and he can and will smite you. The rules aren't set down for most people in Middle-earth and they must work out for themselves what is right and wrong. Put it this way, in the real world an ordinary man or woman might find it hard to believe the words of not another race, but a whole other species on what was right and wrong. Sure, some Men carried the words of Eru, but in a situation where the whole world is at war, trust is in short supply, so we cannot simply blame people for not believing in Eru.

I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of him either. But who would be there to tell me otherwise? I think that's why you get so many complex figures and absolutely no 'perfect' people in Middle-earth; they're all trying to figure out what's right and wrong. If I was an ordinary Man trying to eke out a living why would I take everything that a Gondorian, descendant of the drowned Numenor, told me about Eru? Especially knowing the horrible tales that would've been passed down about the evil deeds of Numenoreans!

Eru is the Alan Sugar of Arda - he can say "You're fired!" at any point. And why? He's omnipotent.

Not everyone gets worked up about Eru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1,000 Reader
Actually, your post sounded like you were saying he did that as an evil act. He's strong to have destroyed Numenor, but that wasn't an evil act.
That's a moot point, not a given. I wouldn't word it as 'evil' myself, just as 'dodgy'.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:40 PM   #49
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
all i have to say about the sinking of Numenor is that Eru was "The lesser of two evils"

brings into light a machiavelian aspect to Eru doesn't it...

weel Bill Ferny might be scary, hes no Sharku, i at first had no idea who Sharku was and that he had conquered the Shire when they were gone...

but the worse of all

Lobelia Sackville

scary
Old 04-12-2007, 04:06 AM   #50
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

That umbrella
Old 04-14-2007, 08:56 PM   #51
Lord Halsar
Haunting Spirit

Location: 'Round the corner, down the well, passed the Balrog, straight to HELL!
Lord Halsar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:

Indeed. i beleive that people get so worked up about him, because he is sort of like the christian/jewish version of God. Everyone has a deep inner desire to defend the Lord's name should he be insulted. why would Eru be any different?
Old 04-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #52
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Honestly, I found Boromir the scariest. The Nazgul, the Barrow Wights, etc, were straightforwardly dangerous; but Boromir was a member of the Fellowship who became a threat. The scene where he tries to take the ring from Frodo is probably the scariest to me, maybe because it hits closest to home...the people we trust being the greatest danger.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:08 AM   #53
Neithan Tol Turambar

scariest character

Caradhras
Old 04-15-2007, 07:52 AM   #54
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Quote:
why would Eru be any different?
because Eru is a fictional character, people don't worship Eru, there was never was an event called the Akallabeth, Eru never cursed mankind for eternity for worshiping at Melkor's temple. So I see no problem in questioning a fictional being's role in fictional events.

Stop me when this argument starts going round in circles
Old 04-18-2007, 11:46 PM   #55
darkcorsair

I agree with what was said about certain settings becoming the scariest moments of all in the Lord of the Rings.

I disagree with the whole Sauron isn't scary because he does nothing and you never see him thing.

I take Sauron and the ring together as one huge, invisible evil, an evil that can as someone here said, turn your friends like Boromir against you. What could be scarier then that invisible evil, and knowing that the only way to stop it is to destroy the ring itself, which holds the greater part of Sauron's power.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:59 AM   #56
Famov

Not the Witch King. Dont get me wrong, I like the guy, but he seemed to make too many mistakes to be the scariest servant of evil.

Probably Durin's Bane, considering Gandalf's and Legolas' response upon seeing him.

Without his ring, would Sauron be as powerful as Durin's Bane? My initial guess is no, though I have little from the literature to back that claim up. And then, since Tolkein doesn't personify Sauron very well in the trilogy, it is tough to guess much of his power (and scary factor) very well. Though being an enigma might help his case.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #57
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famov
Without his ring, would Sauron be as powerful as Durin's Bane? My initial guess is no, though I have little from the literature to back that claim up. And then, since Tolkein doesn't personify Sauron very well in the trilogy, it is tough to guess much of his power (and scary factor) very well. Though being an enigma might help his case.
But there must have been something in Sauron that the Balrogs lacked. He was one of Morgoth's chiefs, and at least I have understood that his status was higher than that of the Balrogs'.
The Balrogs were of a different type of maiar than Sauron, but I don't know if being a demon of fire necessarily means being more powerful than an "ordinary" maia.

But his Ring lost a great amount of Sauron's original power was lost, too, so you may be right. Of course this depends whether we are speaking of Sauron whose Ring still existed, though not safely in his pocket, or of Sauron whose Ring was destroyed. A Balrog would probably win the latter in a combat.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #58
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansun
Oliphaunts are pretty scary considering their size. What if one decided to land it's foot on the Witch King & crush him?
Well, the Witch-King had the raw power to drive his servants mad, couldn't he just raise a hand or scream or something and get away?

I think that the scariest places for me when I FIRST read the book (about 10 years old) were the places that it really seemed like there was no way out. The Balrog wasn't that scary to me because you knew Gandalf was going to finish it off. But in that chapter, I find the 'drums in the deep' very disturbing. Just as we finished reading about how the dwarves were trapped and killed, we get the same drums. Scary.

Other places that made me scared were the Barrow-Wights (until Tom came, which was a relief, let me tell you!) the lair of Shelob, Boromir attacking Frodo, anywhere past the Fellowship of the Ring involving Nazgul and Frodo and Sam, when the wolves closed in around them on the hilltop, the Nazgul that Legolas shoots down and was described as "a shadow [like] the Balrog", when Frodo was captured by the enemy (I really thought Sam would go it alone then) and Pippin saving Faramir.

Sorry, not so much characters as scenes.

Places that I didn't get scared in include: Balrog vs. Gandalf, Lorien (Galadriel), the King of the Dead (I was a bit lost at this point) and Saruman wasn't really scary either.
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #59
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sixth Wizard
Other places that made me scared were the Barrow-Wights (until Tom came, which was a relief, let me tell you!)
Yup, deffinitely!