The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2001, 10:17 PM   #1
KayQy
Wight

KayQy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to KayQy
Sting Okay, who's in charge here?

Such might be a quote from the Modern American Version of the Red Book, in one of the parts that Tolkien seems to have left out, namely one of the people of Rohan who did not go to fight at the Pelennor Fields of Gondor. The quote might continue thus: "What happened to Eowyn? Wasn't she supposed to lead us while the king and all his horses and men were away? We put our trust in the house of Eorl, and you expect us to do what (insert name here) says? What's wrong with this picture?"

I am not arguing the fact that Eowyn performed some necessary feats that paid for this with change to spare. But wasn't she kind of shirking her duties?

--OC Supertones, "Wilderness"

"Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter." -- Max Beerbohm
KayQy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 01:57 AM   #2
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well she wasn't the only one left behind...and tho she was charged with the safekeeping of her people, the argument is what her highest duty was as it is claimed that she was "shirking her duties"
I believe that her highest duty was to herself
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 11:56 AM   #3
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Sting

If Eowyn hadn't gone to battle, her people would be a nice little pile of charred rubble. Besides, she didn't have a choice. It was her fate to kill the Witch-King, whether she knew it or not. Had she stayed, she would have been shirking a far, far greater duty, and the quest would most likely not have been accomplished.

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 11:15 PM   #4
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

With out Eowyn at the battle of the Pelannor,the Lord of the Nazgul would not have met his end, and the battle would have went on a lot longer than it did, and the host from Gondor may have never made it to the gates of Mordor to ruse Sauron. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 12:53 PM   #5
KayQy
Wight

Shield

*ducking and cringing* Okay, okay, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say that she should have stayed home and knitted sweaters. I know her fate was to be there and kill the Nazgul Lord. Apparently I was too witty for my own good, and it got in the way of my real question: Who was left in charge? And how did they explain to the people why nobody saw her anywhere? Was the entire people of Rohan in on it except Theoden and Eomer? You know, those practical questions that have no place in proper romantic adventures, like where the bathroom is. Speaking of which--no, I won't go there. Let's concentrate on Rohan here.

"Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter." -- Max Beerbohm
Old 11-04-2001, 02:59 PM   #6
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

lol it's ok...and in all the period pieces you don't really see much about the awful truth of the lice crawling alllll over and where they actually relieved themselves...GROSSNESS!
hmm good question tho
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 02:04 PM   #7
KayQy
Wight

Shield

I guess no one has any more idea than I do, or they just don't want to share it with the rest of us. So I guess I'll just have to take this logically...

So, what would I do if I were a shield-maiden of Rohan and needed to go off to battle, but was saddled with babysitting a kingdom? First, I would need a trustworthy accomplice, able to lead the people in my stead and keep my absence a secret at least until the army was too far away to send a message to. Then we have to find some way to explain my absence to the rest of the people of Rohan. I don't think that the Amidala switcheroo would work in this case, and Shakespeare might have liked to have his characters ensconce themselves in a convent when they wanted to do some secret travelling and/or crossdressing, but that would be too out of character for me even if they have an equivalent to a convent. Probably I would gather several more accomplices that could spread themselves out, and whenever someone said, "Hey, where's Eowyn?" they could say, "Oh, I think I saw her in such-and-such a place." By the time anyone who would feel it their duty to be a tattle-tale discovered the truth, I would be long gone, thanks to my other trusty accomplice Elfhelm and the need for speed and secrecy in the journey.

Old 11-15-2001, 10:12 AM   #8
the Lorien wanderer
Shade of Carn Dûm

the Lorien wanderer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Doesn't Tolkien write something about how useless Eowyn felt at being left behind since the people were pretty much self-sufficient. I can't remember now, maybe I just imagined it. But my LoTR is lent out so I can't even check...
the Lorien wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 10:40 PM   #9
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

TWL! Long time no post.
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:10 AM   #10
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well Eowyn probably appointed someone to be in charge someone she trusted the real question would why didn't they rat on her and tell theoden eowyn planned to go to battle?