The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-12-2002, 08:59 PM   #41
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

One of my really good friends wouldn't see LOTR because she said it wasn't a <I>comedy</I>!! I begged and begged and offered to pay for her and everything and later I even said she could borrow my DVD, yes my own..my precioussss. Her brother even rented it and she <I>still</I> wouldn't see it! I couldn't believe it! I tell you, some people are so stubborn...<P>(ooh cool, I get a whole new page all to myself. lol)<p>[ November 12, 2002: Message edited by: LadyElbereth ]
Old 11-13-2002, 08:28 AM   #42
Mintyztwin
Wight

Mintyztwin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

LotR A <I>comedy</I>?!?!? Whoa! Somebody needs to smack her over the head with an orc! My goodness! And she even STILL won't see it? Call a psychiatrist! And what's wrong with comedy anyway?!?!?

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Mintyztwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 10:11 AM   #43
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Most people I know liked it even thought they hadn't read the books. I showed my dad when he was visiting the DVD and half way through the movie he said pause it for a break. He was like "This was probably the last movie I would have picked off you shelf, but this movie is great!" <P>As for people not liking. I observed in the theaters, people walking out (mostly stupid teenagers) and just thought "good you don't deserve to understand this!"<P>I mean is this society so MTV influenced that one cannot sit still for 3 hours and enjoy a masterpiece? Too long??? I say not long enough!!!<P>One friend won't see it because she says "Its not her type of movie." What is that you aren't even going to give it a chance. Of course she likes stupid teeny movies like Orange County and stuff liek that.

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 12:35 PM   #44
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My friend is just like that, GreyIstar. She just LOVED Orange County and she said those exact words "It's not my type of movie". I just can't believe that people won't even try something new or just watch a few minutes of it, so they would at least give it a chance.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:55 AM   #45
Feather

Sting

my friend did not like it because she said it was just 3 hours of violence and then it suddenly stopped. Even though i explained about the next movies she wasn't interested in 'going through all that killing again' to find out the ending.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:58 PM   #46
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

What?! How ridiculous! Three hours of violence indeed! I need to go thrash something!

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Old 11-19-2002, 05:08 PM   #47
Shanna
Pile O'Bones

Shanna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Shanna
Sting

Oh God, this is the ever popular one used by friends who haven't even seen the flim *ahem*<BR>"It's gay!"<BR>How lame can you get?

DURELIN IS A PANSY! HAHA! PIPH YOU!
Shanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 05:19 PM   #48
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's gay? I have to say it's not particularly happy, well, not compared to disney films. They are very misinformed.<BR>Most of my friends have watch the films and are reading the books now so I'm not allowed to mention the plot at all
Old 11-19-2002, 05:45 PM   #49
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, when the hype began for the first movie my friend's main reason for being against it was that it was a "nerds" movie. However, unbeknown to him, his dad had read the books some years before and bought them both a ticket. Turns out that it wasn't a "nerds" movie at all but a cinamatic masterpiece. After most people saw it and realised that I had read the books they were quizzing me for ages, I think this got my friend a bit jealous so he read the books and now he loves them.<P>A message to all of you with friends who hate LotR and use cynical excuses to belittle the books or the films --> They Are Not Worth It! Don't bother arguing with them, if they are too stupid to make a valid argument then they are far too stupid to understand the films and especially the books!
Old 11-19-2002, 05:50 PM   #50
Arwen Melian
Wight

Location: Sometimes Imladris....sometimes Mirkwood...other times ....Lothlorien
Arwen Melian has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Thanks for the advice,however my friend isn't stupid( just stubborn yet intelligent.) I guess he'll never appreciate the movie because it's not his "type" of movie. How rude is that?Any more stories anyone? Or advice?
Arwen Melian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 09:45 AM   #51
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"It's gay!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>O wow! How explanitory. Let me guess. I movie itself has homosexual acts with other 'gay' movies. That is the most lame excuse for anything. If someone is going to give an excuse against something at least have a good excuse, not that there is one.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:27 PM   #52
Arwen Melian
Wight

Silmaril

wELL IN aMERICA WHEN SOME PEOPLE SAY IT'S GAY IT DOESN'T NECCESARILLY HAVE TO MEAN HOMOSEXUAL...AMONG SOME NEW YORK TEENAGES IT SIMPLY MEANS FRUITY OR FAKE...YEA, MY FREINDS SAY THAT ABOUT LOTR. IT REALLY BOTHERS ME!
Old 11-20-2002, 07:05 PM   #53
WarBringer
Wight

WarBringer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

my friends say that it would never happen and that its for nerds-obviously it would never happen and half thge world thinks it isnt for nerds.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:30 PM   #54
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

I heard somewhere that Sir Ian McKellan was gay and Elijah Woods was a homosexual activist. Could they perhaps be speaking about this. (Although it could definatly be what you are talking about Arwen Melian)<P>Also, is this true? My information is never really reliable. *sigh* I'm so uninfomormed, and what I do know is wrong!

Old 11-20-2002, 10:21 PM   #55
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Well, it's no secret that Sir Ian is gay. I don't know anything about Elijah Wood, really, but I read somewhere that he was dating a 28-year-old woman (the people reporting on this were rather condescending about it, well who cares, my brother is Lij's exact age and he's married to a 27-year-old...okay I'll stop ranting now).
Old 11-20-2002, 10:34 PM   #56
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"I don't understand it!"<P>That's my friends' favorite. Don't understand it? What the heck is there not to understand? I mean, one of my friends says "The only thing I got out of the movie was that the Ring was bad." Wow. Deep. Is it just me, or was it not that complicated? Or was it only because I'd read the books? Am I just weird? Are we all just weird? Or is my friend just weird? When will I stop asking questions? When I know the names of all the stars, and the entire history of Middle-earth and Over-heaven and of the Sundering Seas, what less? ^_^<P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 11-21-2002, 11:15 AM   #57
TealDude3
Wight

Sting

Well, if you haven't read the books then I guess it would be confusing. On the other hand, for people who haven't read the books may find it confusing. The problem is, we don't know how confusing it is to them, because we (or most of us) have read the books.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:07 PM   #58
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

My aforementioned brother didn't find it hard to understand. He said, and I quote, "What's not to understand? It's all about killing. I kept falling asleep and when I woke up they were doing the same thing."<P>AHAHAHAHAHA. Excuse me. Check me into the looney bin, somebody.
Old 11-23-2002, 08:01 PM   #59
elsye
Animated Skeleton

elsye has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well, as far as the not letting people who haven't read the books into the movie... I hadn't read the books-any of them. The only things I knew about the movie is that it was connected to "The Hobbit"(the movie). If i hadn't seen it, then I wouldn't have read the books and certainly wouldn't be on this site.<BR>Yes, I have friends who "hate LOTR with a passion"(gasp! i can't believe i just typed that!) and recently they told me <BR>"We only went to the movie with you to make you happy, and that makes us really good friends to do a thing like that"<BR>Rather than that making me feel happy about having them as friends, it made me feel like they stabbed me in the stomach! it took me AT LEAST fifteen seconds before my mind would process anything-including breathing!
Old 11-23-2002, 08:10 PM   #60
Arwen Melian
Wight

Silmaril

Awww..I have friends who would do that for me (except one.) If I was in your position,<BR>I would probably feel the same way though.
Old 11-23-2002, 11:09 PM   #61
elsye
Animated Skeleton

elsye has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

they are good friends, but its always been a rule in our group that you tell eachother the truth, even if it hurts... but I am glad they told me so that I won't ask them to come with me again.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:18 PM   #62
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

Oh!!! You poor, poor thing!!!! I'm one of the few, the lucky, ALL my friends are MAJOR LotR freaks, and they ALL read the books PRE-movie! (Never mind that one of them thought ent's were a fungus, or something. She can't get anything straight anyway.)

Old 11-24-2002, 08:36 PM   #63
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones....<P>All my best friend (how can that be multiple?) have seen it and loved it, even if they don't remember anyone's names. All of my not-best-friends (the girls, lol) have seen it, and like it for the guys. At least they like it...even if every time I have to talk to them they say "oh, I liked Elijah and Orlando!"<P>I even got four people to read the books by making them watch the movie! Go me!<P>*Goes over and punches Ms. Melian's "anonymous friend" in the chest* stupid anti-fan....
Old 11-25-2002, 02:39 PM   #64
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "Elves doesn't exist, therefore the movie is bad" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I feel really sorry for that girl. Her life will be terrible and she won’t even know why. Anyone with grammar that bad has to be confused ( )<P>*Stepping out of the theatre with "May It Be" still ringing in my ears*: <P>"Ummmm... okay...I guess..." <BR>"What were those midget-dudes doing anyway?"<BR>"You <I>liked</I> that movie?"<P>I had no reply to any of these.<p>[ November 25, 2002: Message edited by: The Silver-shod Muse ]
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 02:47 PM   #65
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

This isn't exactly a <I>friend</I>, it's actually my geometry teacher. His excuse for calling it the "worst movie in the world" (for which I was honor-bound to challenge him to a duel) was that it was "60% walking", and that "Hobbit feet aren't cute."<P>?????
Old 11-25-2002, 06:01 PM   #66
TealDude3
Wight

Sting

And the weirdest thing is, if they read the book then they would say that movie was good, but nnnnooooo! Don't you think LOTR should become required reading at school.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:02 AM   #67
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

I can't believe how many people I know have not see Lord of the Rings! My god does that bug me. When my other Tolkien obsessed friends are talking about one of the characters, my friend that has not seen the movie will all of a sudden be like Who's Gandalf? I just gave her an evil glare .<p>[ November 26, 2002: Message edited by: Faye Took ]
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 08:55 AM   #68
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just to the thing about understanding the movie without reading the books - one of my friends said that besides liking the movie she thought it was good because it's easy to understand, even though you haven't read the book(s). And <I>she</I> is definately watching the next movie too.<BR>And you wouldn't believe what one of my friends made me do to make her see TTT!?! She "can't afford to go" so she "can only see it if I give her a ticket as a christmas present". And I actually let her get away with it! Now I have to pay for <I>her</I> ticket! Oh, to be naiv...
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 05:18 PM   #69
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

Hey! I would like a TTT ticket for Christmas!! (Which, by the way, is only 29 days away! )<P>When I asked people why they haven't read the book, two people, no wait, three, told me, and I quote: "They're big!" Well, like, DUH!!!! Two were in my classes, and the other was my physical therapist. (I am feeble and decrepit in my old age! )<P>I talked to one guy who hadn't even HEARD of LotR I said "Oh that's nice! (ash in my tomatos! )" And he was like, huh? (WHAT is with the "like's" Mintyztwin? Get with the program!) Anyway, he hadn't seen the movie, hadn't read the books . . . hadn't even heard of lotr! Poor deprived person. And he's been in class with me for two years!!! (I am sooo embarresed. I've been neglecting my duty.) I don't see how he missed out on this, 'cause about 33.33333% of everything I do is LotR. (The other 33.33333% is 3I2IR, and the other 33.3333333% is me!) <BR>So, NOW I HAVE GUILT!!! Ah well, He will not be ignorant for long! MWAHAHAHAH!!! <P>"They're big!" yeeesh.

Old 11-26-2002, 05:50 PM   #70
Arwen Melian
Wight

Silmaril

I know..don't you just hate it when people ask you what your favorite movie or book is, and you say LOTR. Then they say...what is that?!It bothers me!( Summons the waters on those people.)