The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-26-2002, 02:04 PM   #81
The Green Ringwraith
Haunting Spirit

Location: On the edge of the world I'll roam and the home of the wolf will be my home.
The Green Ringwraith has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Green Ringwraith Send a message via AIM to The Green Ringwraith
Sting

Merry and Pippin are awesome! I really look forward to seeing more of them. Frodo... could do better. Sam is pretty good, so is Gandalf and Boromir. I think they messed up Galadriel's character with the whole "freaking-out" thing. Ergh.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:33 PM   #82
Morima
Haunting Spirit

Morima has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morima Send a message via MSN to Morima
Silmaril

Gandalf was perfect! And I'm sure Ian McKellen will keep up the good work in TTT... Christopher Lee as Saruman was really great too, and it wasn't just the appearance; he had the pleasant voice as well. But since Sarumans normal voice was so good in FotR, I wonder how they'll do the Voice of Saruman (spell) in TTT? I agree with Shieldmaiden that the hair/eyebrow color match of Legolas looked weird, actually, I didn't like Orlando Bloom as Legolas; his face is to square shaped for an Elf. Looking forward to see Gollum, YAY! (He's one of my favorites). Worm seems to have the perfect (ugly) actor, I just hope they do him short enough... But I don't like what I've seen of Theoden. He's supposed to have longer hair...

Aki Benetah.
Morima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 10:40 AM   #83
Ravenna
Haunting Spirit

Ravenna has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hugo Weaving did a great job as Elrond, I think its because he's so very different to my mental image (I always saw him with shorter hair for a start), that I'm not so keen. I think Viggo was brilliant as Aragorn, he looked right to me as well as IMO getting close to the chraracter, nothing short of miraculous when you think how short a time he had to prepare. Sean Bean gave Boromir a depth of humanity not present in the books, and Christopher Lee, well he IS Saruman- that voice!
Ravenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 08:32 PM   #84
gayare'dion
Haunting Spirit

gayare'dion has just left Hobbiton.
Question

i think christopher lee could do the personality for the whole cast cause i heard hes been reading lord of the rings for over 20 years! i heard that on the "things you dont know about lord of the rings" thread
Old 08-02-2002, 06:49 AM   #85
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

I must confess that before seeing FotR for the first time, I was EXTREMELY sceptical! Up to then, I had always been disappointed by a movie when I was very fond of the book it was based on. Often, this was also due to the actors just not seeming the "right" persons. But not so with P.J.`s FotR ! I was enchanted from thë very start.(btw,this week, I went to see it in the cinema for the 5th time ! The 33rd week in the theatres now here in Zürich!!)<P>Which actors impressed me most:<P>1. Gandalf ! Sir Ian McKellen is absolutely perfect!(Exactly as I had pictured Gandalf)<P>2.Frodo . I had actually no "visual" picture of him in my mind before seeing the movie- but now he`ll forever have Elijah Wood`s face. With his extremely expressive face and soulful eyes he conveys Frodo`s feelings in a way that touch the heart.<P>3. Aragorn and Boromir. I had pictured them more dark-haired (as described by Tolkien) but they both play excellently and convinced me fully.<P>Galadriel . I think she is perfect for the role. Her voice in the prologue is haunting...<P>Pippin (I like his scotch accent and his pert nose )<P>Legolas (very elvish look and way to move)<P>Sam (a bit too fat for my taste though...)<P>All the other characters are good too. <BR>Elrond and Arwen were the ones I likes least, but that is purely subjective. <P>
Old 08-02-2002, 06:51 PM   #86
Bulelainwen
Animated Skeleton

Bulelainwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bulelainwen
Sting

I think that people that hadnt read the books and went to see the movie might not have gotten to see how wise Legolas can be and just started at him cuz hes so good looking. I think Orlando did make a good Legolas though. I just wish they would have showed the friendship of Legolas and Gimli more. I loved Ian Mckellen as Gandalf and Christopher Lee as Saurmaun. The hobbits were all great.
Bulelainwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 05:49 PM   #87
Tel'

Shield

I hate Kate Blanchett as Galadriel(too long nose for elven queen), but only in movie. It is only my own oppinian , so I am sorry if somebody like her, I didn't want to insult you. I liked Orlando Bloom as Legolas .
Old 08-14-2002, 10:10 PM   #88
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I think the person who did the best acting in the movie was Sean Bean as Boromir. Even people who don't like him or don't think he looked right can't say that he didn't give an excellent performance throughout the movie.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:12 PM   #89
galadwen29
Animated Skeleton

galadwen29 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

what do u mean frodo is called some bloke called elijah? ok i think eljah woods portayal was excellent my mum who has not seen any elijah movies would not believe that he was american. my sis thought sean astin was great as samwise even though she hates lotr! <BR>gandalf is ian mckellen- ian mckellen is gandalf. if any of you have seen a brit film called jack and sarah (starring ricahrd e grant) i can not believe the tramp in the film (played by ian mckellen) is the same man who played gandalf. that is what makes it so convincing.<BR>generally all the cast was great.

"TOSS ME!"
galadwen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 02:21 PM   #90
Ms. Took
Haunting Spirit

Ms. Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ms. Took
Sting

I think everyone in the fellowship was really good, and i really liked Ian Holm as Bilbo. Celeborn...well...what can I say about Celeborn. I'm really excited to see Treebeard, gollum, and Eowyn in the two towers.
Ms. Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 02:49 PM   #91
Limlaith

Sting

I agree with The Phantom (above):<P>Of all the characters in the whole film, Sean Bean deserved the Academy knod for Best Supporting Actor. I cry when he dies - every time. He was beyond amazing.<P>But so were Elijah (who was 18 when they started filming and is 20 now), and Sean Astin, and both the Ian's. I was overwhelmed, swept away. I feel cheesy to say such things, but it's true.<P>They BECAME their characters - which is what they say in real life. If you read interviews. I mean Viggo took his costume home and wore it on his days off and washed it and repaired it. He wore his sword even when he wasn't filming. WOW!!! <P>The entire core cast was amazing and I am just looking forward to watching their relationships deepen and strengthen in the coming film.
Old 08-16-2002, 09:46 AM   #92
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Of all the characters in the whole film, Sean Bean deserved the Academy knod for Best Supporting Actor. I cry when he dies - every time. He was beyond amazing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I completely agree. I cry every time too, when he dies.<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The entire core cast was amazing and I am just looking forward to watching their relationships deepen and strengthen in the coming film. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And again, I completely agree, Limlaith!<P>Every actor was PERFECT for their parts. When I knew that the movie was coming out, I was a bit skeptical. I was unsure that the actors would capture their character like I imagined. But they did an absolutely wonderful job! Every single one of them!!
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 02:01 PM   #93
Keeper of the Feet of Melkor
Animated Skeleton

Keeper of the Feet of Melkor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree<BR>The actors were great
Old 08-28-2002, 02:19 PM   #94
Merry Brandybuck
Animated Skeleton

Merry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Billy Boyd. Very few actors could have portrayed Pippins absoulte horror when he realises he isn't going to be getting six meals a day while Striders around. He makes the character of Pippin very real, in both the serious and funny aspects of his personality.<P>Ian McKellan made Gandalf his own. It's a practically impossible part, and I doesn't think they could have found anyone better.<P>Elijah struck me as too young to me Frodo. Pippin was supposed to be the youngest, and despite the excellent acting on both parts, there's no getting by the fact that Elijahs about ten years younger in reality.<P>I think Celebron would have sounded wiser, if he had more than two lines.<P>I just didn't like Cate Blanchett as Galadriel. <P>Didn't like Legolas. To much of a cliché, stereotypical elf. He was glorified, out of porportion and and he stole to much of Merry and Pippin screen time.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:06 AM   #95
Armadoin
Haunting Spirit

Armadoin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Armadoin Send a message via AIM to Armadoin
Sting

I think that Viggo Mortenson and Elijah Wood were the best actors: I mean, EW's character had to go through so much and you could really see it through his eyes and facial expression. And VM's character did all those awsome sword fighting scenes and made them look so real( and stayed sexy doing it!)
"I must not fear.Fear is the mind killer. fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Armadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 08:00 PM   #96
Iarwen

Silmaril

I think Elijah Wood, Viggo Mortenson, and Orlando Bloom did the most convincing performances. OB did awesome with the bow and arrow. Viggo just was great and totally like how i pictured Aragorn to be. Elijah Wood was the best. I cant wait to see Legolas, Aragorn, and Frodo in TTT
Old 09-03-2002, 12:12 AM   #97
Eowyn16

Shield

Sean Bean did a fantastic job as Boromir. I'v always loved this character but Sean really brought him to life.<P>In TTT i'm really looking forward to everyone but mostly Eowyn and Faramir.::sigh::
Old 09-03-2002, 06:49 AM   #98
Frieda
Haunting Spirit

Frieda has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Frieda
Sting

Elijah's 21. ^_^ And he's actually coming to my city soon I believe...hope I get lucky and get to meet him. <P>Anyways, I think everyone did great in that movie. Some characters were better than others I guess but I think everyone did do a good job. I think a lot of those actors were definitly meant to play those parts.
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 11:00 AM   #99
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> And VM's character did all those awsome sword fighting scenes and made them look so real( and stayed sexy doing it!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> I agree!!<P>I agree with Merry too, Billy was awesome! His voice was so...Pippinish! And he's such a great actor, like all the rest of them. I mean, how could you not like Billy, he's the best!
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 12:11 PM   #100
Armadoin
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I am glad you agree, Lothiriel. most people say he's too dirty in the movie whenever I say he's hot. But dirty guys are always the best!
"I must not fear.Fear is the mind killer. fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 09-03-2002, 07:56 PM   #101
nevfeniel

Eye

My mom calls him "ruggedly handsome". First she thinks Frodo's cute, now she thinks Aragorn's cute. Who's next?!
Old 09-03-2002, 09:12 PM   #102
Melichus
Haunting Spirit

Melichus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Probably Legolas...
"The other [theme] had now achieved a unity of its own; but it was loud, and vain, and endlessly repeated; and it had little harmony...and it essayed to drown the other music by the violence of its voice, but it seemed that its most triumphant notes were taken by the other and woven into its own solemn pattern..."
Melichus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 11:39 PM   #103
Eowyn16

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>My mom calls him "ruggedly handsome".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Moms think alike. My mom says the same thing about him and Sean Bean.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:47 AM   #104
Armadoin
Haunting Spirit

1420!

Rugged is always the best; no matter what!!