The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-26-2002, 06:31 AM   #1
Lostolin
Pile O'Bones

Lostolin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril The Powers of a Wizard

In the books, Gandalf used many types of magic. This included fireworks, producing flame from nowhere, and small tricks like generating light from gems. In the movie, he seems to gain a power, then lose another. Gandalf and Saruman both get some random powers. In the Shire, Gandalf uses some intimidating power of some sort on Bilbo when Bilbo refuses to give up the ring. This power made him appear larger and seemed to make the lights of the room dim. I assume that Saruman has this power as well (he is the more persuasive one, and he would use this power more often). Then, we get to the wizard battle scene, which appears to give them both the 'powers of the Force'. They are able to use their staffs to somehow send their opponent flying wherever they want them to. As the battle nears its end, Saruman draws on his force powers from SW: Episode 2, and gets Gandalf's staff. Why either of them didn't do this before is another question... In the movie, the other powers are also portrayed (fireworks and light-stones). Does anyone know why the ability to throw around fire was removed (Gandalf used it in the book more than he does the fireworks...)? Are there any other powers I have not listed?
Old 09-26-2002, 06:40 AM   #2
Cazoz
Haunting Spirit

Cazoz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think we're suppose to read too much into the Grandad fighting scenes, and the magical connotations behind it.<BR>I think PJ probably just wanted another fight scene, and it was for humour if nothing else. Note, nothing of the kind happened in the book.<P>Regarding Gandalf and Bilbo at Bag End, a similar situation was in the book.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Gandalf's eyes flashed. 'It will be my time to get angry soon,' he said. 'If you say that again, I shall. Then you will see Gandalf the Grey uncloaked.' He took a step towards the hobbit, and he seemed to grow tall and menacing; his shadow filled the little room<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I can only speculate on this, but my guess is that as Gandalf is very close to earth and nature, the whole mood of the room changed (including the light/weather, depending on how you call it) because Gandalf is somewhat connecting with these things, and they responded and reacted to his sudden change in demeanor.
Cazoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 06:21 PM   #3
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Silmaril

I think that is true, Gandalf is an Istari. I'm not sure about Saruman though. Got to check that article on him...
Old 09-27-2002, 06:12 AM   #4
Lostolin
Pile O'Bones

Lostolin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I agree with your observation, Cazoz. In the movie, when Gandalf faces the Balrog of Moria, he seems to erect a personal shield around himself (right after he produces the flash of light from his staff). Drawn from the powers of earth? He then proceeds to (in the movie) grind his staff into the bridge, causing the other side to fall. In the book, he simply blows up his staff on it, but I believe that it is reasonable to think that these powers are taken from the earth/nature. Thanks for the input all.
Old 09-27-2002, 04:08 PM   #5
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sruman is one of the istari. Gandalf also had some power from his ring (Narya? Fire? I think).
Old 09-27-2002, 09:26 PM   #6
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

His powers (and the other wizards, I assume) come from Illuvatar. God gave him his powers, to use to serve Him! Tolkien did draw many Christian parallels in his books, and this is just one of them. (Perhaps Wizards are like the Angels!)
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 01:08 PM   #7
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Silmaril

I agree with Knight Of Gondor. Tolkien's faith was definatly shown in his works. (Like many other writers.)