The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2002, 04:07 AM   #1
Aramacil
Wight

Aramacil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Talking Orks ?

I wonder if in TTT (the scene when the Orks have Merry and Pippin hostage on the field of Rohan) the orks actually talk to each other? in their own language?
Old 10-08-2002, 05:02 AM   #2
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>these creatures, being filled with malice, hating even their own kind, quickly developed as many barbarous dialects as there were groups or settlements of their race, so that their Orkish speech was of little use to them in intercourse between different tribes<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P><BR>LotR Appendices. Appendix F. <P>Therefore in the movie they will talk english

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 07:18 AM   #3
Aramacil
Wight

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>these creatures, being filled with malice, hating even their own kind, quickly developed as many barbarous dialects as there were groups or settlements of their race, so that their Orkish speech was of little use to them in intercourse between different tribes<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Yes, this is about comunication between different tribes, but I asume the orks from the scene are from the same tribe
Old 10-08-2002, 09:12 AM   #4
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> To Pippin's surprise he found that much of the talk was intelligible; many of the Orcs were using ordinary language. Apparently the members of two or three quite different tribes were present, and they could not understand one another's orc-speech. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The Two Towers, Book 3, Chapter 3 "The Uruk-hai". Speaks for itself.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:22 PM   #5
Eruialiwen
Haunting Spirit

Eruialiwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruialiwen
Eye

Ah, I was about to post that, Diamond18 I just read that chapter yesterday (I know, I'm slow...LOL *reads furiously) The Orks will probably be from the same tribe, the Isengarders, so people won't be confused. I know I was rather confused in that part of the book!
Old 10-16-2002, 07:30 AM   #6
Aramacil
Wight

Sting

But what about:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>'Don't draw attention to yourself, or I may forget my orders. Curse the Isengarders! Uglúk u bagronk sha pushdug Saruman-glob búbhosh skai'<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>This is said in the book and<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Many loud yells in orc-speech answered him, and the ringing clash of weapons being drawn<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>but, I will agree with you, this is a very small portion of the book, so the talking orks are probably not in the movie, or maybe just vaguely in the background.
Old 10-19-2002, 06:27 AM   #7
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I didn't think much of Lurtz's cries of "Find the Halfling!" in FotR so I'm hoping the Orcs sound better in TTT.<BR>When he snarled "Saruman!" it sounded cool but his voice at the end was off.<BR>Whatever happens I'm sure Grishnakh will have an awesome voice.