Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2004, 10:01 AM   #81
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

GREEN DRAGON INN FACTS:

It is the 4th Age, year 12. By the Shire Calendar it is year 1433 S.R. (Shire Reckoning).

King Elessar is on the throne of the Reunited Kingdom of Arnor and Gondor.

Mirkwood has been reclaimed by the Elves and is now called Eryn Lasgalen.

Paladdin Took, Pippin’s father, is Thain of the Shire. (Thain is an honorary title for the military leader of the Shire. The title has been held in the Took Family since the position was first established in 3rd Age 1979 with Bucca of the Marish as First Thain.) Paladdin Took dies in year 13, and will be succeeded by his son, Peregrin, ‘Pippin’, Took.

Samwise Gamgee is Mayor of the Shire, having succeeded Will Whitfoot in 1427 S.R.

The Innkeeper, in the Green Dragon Inn of this forum, is:
Aman – a young woman from Rohan.

Before her, the Innkeeper was Piosenniel, and before her it was Dwarin, the Dwarf.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Other ongoing characters in the Inn:

Ruby Brown, Hobbit – not married – server and maid

Buttercup Brownlock, Hobbit – not married – kitchen assistant and maid

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Ongoing characters from outside the Inn:

Halfred Whitfoot – local Shiriff from Bywater and Postmaster for this area of the Shire; his pony’s name is Dumpling.

Fredgar Hornblower – local Shiriff from Hobbiton – played by Fool of a Took

Please Note:

No 'SAVES' are allowed in the Inn (except for modifications needed to be made by the Moderators or Innkeeper).

With the exception of the Innkeeper and the Moderators, no OOC (Out Of Character) comments are allowed in the Inn.

Only the Innkeeper, Amanaduial, or the Moderators move the timeline for the Inn forward.

Visitors to the Inn will need to read the posts that come before theirs to get an idea of what time it is in the Shire, what the weather is like, and what is happening.

Please be familiar with the rules for the Inn and Games in The Red Book of Westmarch, the first topic in the Shire.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is now midmorning, inching toward noon. The weather is pleasant though there are clouds on the horizon and by afternoon there may be rain.

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-16-2004 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:30 AM   #82
Archsage Isaac
Animated Skeleton

Archsage Isaac has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Archsage Isaac
"Isaac, tell me one thing. Why do you persist on finding more out about Jack? It was a long time ago and he's lost to me now." Adu told Isaac, sounding a bit angry. Isaac blinked several times before replying.

"I got a new memory, one of Jack being attacked. It was not a clear memory, but I do know that the beast he was being attacked by looked exactly like the beast that I was by in my first memory." he said, slightly annoyed that she woud not answer his question. "Just please, answer that one question and I'll leave you to your horse." he finished, a pleading look filled his eyes.

Last edited by Archsage Isaac; 05-12-2004 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:00 PM   #83
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril Aman

Aman watched Snaveling for a long moment after he said this, noting the way he looked away. "I am bound by...a very important promise to one whom I dare not betray again – even if I had the heart to do anything against her."

Roa.

Aman would have had to be blind and far from the astute, sharp-eyed watcher that she was to not have noticed the way he looked at her. But then, she wondered how close he had looked at her - her expressions, the way she watched him for a little longer....either she had noticed or there was something going on from that side as well.

Blowing out her cheeks in a sigh, the Innkeeper leant back into her chair, regarding the man carefully under her eyelids as he turned to look back at her. One arm was draped across the arm of the chair, the wrist following the chair as it curved down, the other rested at the elbow, the forefinger curling under his bottom lip. As he straightened up, he looked properly back at the Innkeeper, his back straight against the chair, his arm falling into the same position as the other one as his dark eyes met hers, his chin held up proudly, although he probably didn't know it. He was, in a single word, even without any knowledge of his history...regal.

Leaning forward, she unwittingly copied his previous posture, her hands draped across her knees. "I must as you, Snaveling," she asked softly. "And do not be angry with me but...do you have any intention of making a claim for the throne? And if not...well, why should the King ever know?"
Old 05-11-2004, 03:14 PM   #84
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Peony saw Gwenneth enter the stables with her horse. "There they are." She said putting on Surefoot's reins. "Let us greet them."

She led Surefoot out of the stall and called to Gwenneth. "Gwenneth, I'm over here." She walked over to where her friend stood. She patted Surefoot's nose. "This is my beloved mare Surefoot."

Peony looked at Gwenneth's mare, filled with awe. "And this must be Elenath."
Old 05-11-2004, 03:21 PM   #85
starkat
Wight

starkat has just left Hobbiton.
Blushing a little, Gwenneth smiled, “Yes. This is Elenath." Turning to Surefoot, the elf maid held out her hand to let Peony’s mare get accustomed to her sent. “Surefoot is beautiful,” she breathed as she reached her hand up and stroked Surefoot on her neck.

Turning to Peony, “She is only three? You have yourself a wonderful mare.” Seeing Peony still looking at Elenath, “Come, you are welcome to pet her. I can tell she likes both you and Surefoot.” After Peony and Surefoot had greeted Elenath, the two women turned their minds to the task at hand, getting ready to ride.
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight, At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, ... And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again. ~ The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe Narnia Movie Info

Last edited by starkat; 05-11-2004 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:25 PM   #86
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Let's try to get a little more descriptive writing into our posts.

Dialog is fine - but it's a little too barebones for gaming in the Barrow-Downs. It begins to sound chatty.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 05-11-2004, 04:29 PM   #87
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Lily was quite relieved when the woman who introduced herself as Ferran and smiled. Lily felt much less like she was intruding on their conversation. So, she thought, Now what? Lily realized that though she had spent several hours with Willow last night, she knew virtually nothing about the other hobbit and, of course, having just met Ferran knew absolutely nothing about her, leaving Lily at a loss as to where to begin conversation. She brushed a stray wisp of chestnut colored hair behind her ear out of habit and straightened her light blue dress. The silence was starting to make her uncomfortable. She decided to start with what she knew.

"So, besides playing the fiddle, what else do you enjoy doing?" she inquired of Willow. "And Ferran, what are your hobbies?" She had her fingers crossed under the table that they would have enough common ground that they could carry on a conversation.

Last edited by Firefoot; 06-20-2004 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:12 PM   #88
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
Shield Willow

Willow smiled. Indeed, she understood how the other hobbit felt, neither of them knew a thing about the other, though they had spent the night fiddling together. And now they did not even have that common ground to shed light on who they were, and what they could possibly converse about now. The bright light shone upon the floor, and the sun rose to meet the mid sky. It was now reaching afternoon hours, and Willow realized that the day was passing quite quickly indeed.

She grinned broadly. "Well, Lily, this is a new friend of mine, Farren. Farren, this is Lily, though she already introduced herself. A friend of mine as of last night, she is, and Lily, Farren I just met today. I suppose it would be best to aquaint ourselves as of now."

Willow thought hard, trying to come up with something that could make enough of a conversation starter, beyond music, as that was something that she knew the other hobbit liked, though she knew nothing about Farren's likes for music. I must ask her that sometime, Willow thought. Music was one of her stronger likes in life.

"Well, I do some writing," she said, trying to find a starter point. "Poems, stories, and such. What of you, Lily, Farren?"

Willow sat back in her chair, and hoped that there would be something to talk of on this subject. All the while the sun rose higher in the day-lit sky.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:15 PM   #89
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Peony stroked Elenath's velvety neck. "Such a fine horse." She still stood there in awe. It was a more amazing horse then she envisioned. Shaking herself from her own little world, Peony said, "Enough of this chatter. Let's go for that ride."

She took down her saddle from the tack and slung it on Surefoot's back. Making sure everything was in order she and Gwenneth led their horses out. It was late morning and soon noon would be upon them.

Peony mounted Surefoot and Gwenneth mounted Elenath. Peony took in a deep breath and stroked Surefoot's neck. "Nothing like a good ride to start the day off." She smiled as the horses walked along the trail.

The birds were chirping and many Hobbits were bustling about. A cloud moved across the sun throughing the land into shadows for a moment. No sooner had the sun disappeared that it came out from behind the clouds and shed light onto the path. "Anywhere you would like to go today, Gwenneth?"
Old 05-11-2004, 07:28 PM   #90
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Mira

Golden sunlight streamed in through the window. Mira yawned and opened her eyes slowly, letting them adjust to the brightness gradually. When they felt good enough, she opened them all the way and sat up. When she turned her head and glanced out the window, she saw that the sun was already high in the sky. Mira slid out of the bed and stumbled over the the mirror that was hung on the walls. She looked at her reflection and saw a rumpled dress and messy, tangled hair. Mira felt in her pinny pocket for the comb that she had shoved in there. When her hand closed upon it, she drew it out and ran it through her hair quickly.

After combing her hair and braiding it, Mira smoothed her dress as best she could and walked briskly out of her room. Walking down the hallway to the Common Room, she was barraged with a multitude of smells; most of them made up of cooking food. Upon entering the room, she made straight for the bar where she ordered a plate of eggs and biscuits and a cup of coffee. After sampling her food (and finding it delicious), she scanned the room for any familiar faces. She spotted Lily and Willow sitting at a table with a newcomer, a woman. Picking up her dish and her cup, Mira sang out, "Lily! Willow! Good morning to you both!"
Old 05-11-2004, 07:43 PM   #91
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
Shield Willow

Willow paused in the midst of her conversation with Farren and Lily, as she heard a voice call out her name from across the hall. It was Mira, she recognized the hobbit from the night before. "Lily! Willow! Good morning to you both!" Mira called out.

Willow grinned, a wry smile on her face as she motioned for the other hobbit to join them. "Good afternoon is more like it, Mirabell Baggins!" She smiled broadly as she waved her over. "Mira, this is Farren," Willow said, introducing the other hobbit to Farren. "Farren, this is Mira Baggins, a friend of mine."

Mira took a seat, her rather late breakfast tipping dangerously as she sat it down on the wooden table. Willow half-smiled. She had thought that she had awoken late, but seemingly, Mira was an even later sleeper, thought it may've had something to do with the late night party. They had all been rather sleepy. And, Willow thought with a yawn. It looks like I could've used the sleep!

"Well, that's two of us hobbit girls," Lily commented casually. "Wonder where Daisy went."

"Yeah," Willow agreed, sitting back down. "I do wonder. It's nice to be with friends. So where were we?"
Old 05-11-2004, 07:45 PM   #92
starkat
Wight

starkat has just left Hobbiton.
Pulling Elenath to a stop, Gwenneth thought for a minute. I wonder which way to go. I haven't seen much of the Shire at all.

Realizing that she had been quiet for a couple of minutes, she looked at Peony and said, "Any direction would be great." The two of them headed off on the nearest path.
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight, At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, ... And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again. ~ The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe Narnia Movie Info
Old 05-11-2004, 08:21 PM   #93
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

"Lily! Willow! Good morning to you both!" Lily grinned at the familiar voice. Willow waved her over and spoke Lily's exact thoughts before she had time to speak: "Good afternoon is more like it, Mirabell Baggins!" Lily never could understand how other people could sleep so late. She was an early riser by nature, and almost always rose shortly after the sun even after a late night. And to think Daisy is still asleep! It's almost noon already, Lily thought with a glance outside. She frowned briefly noting the clouds on the horizon. It was such a beautiful morning, too. Out loud, she commented, "Well, that's three of us hobbit girls. Wonder where Daisy went."

"Yeah. I do wonder. It's nice to be with friends. So where were we?" Willow asked. Friends, thought Lily. Yes, friends. It seemed strange that she could spend less than a day with people and consider them friends, yet that was how she felt about the three hobbits she had spent last night with. She was feeling much more open with them than she had felt last night. She wasn't quite sure about Ferran yet, but Lily had an open mind.

"Hobbies," answered Lily after a moment. "And as to your question concerning writing, I prefer to read. In Bree, I would often spend hours with a good book from my uncle's library. He has several books, but never enough. My reading is one of the things that caused me to decide to explore, so I figured I had better start with the Shire." She ended with a soft sigh of happiness remembering the many wonderful stories adorning the shelves of her uncle's library. Her favorites had always been the ones about far lands and old heroes and valiant deeds, but those were the hardest to come by. Maybe she would find more if she decided to travel farther than the Shire. She hoped so.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:37 AM   #94
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Aduthondiel
Adu was shocked at Isaac's response. She didn't know what else to say. She couldn't bear the thought of it anymore. She turned to Isaac. "It was only a few years ago. We were traveling through Eryn Lasgalen. I know I told you there was no trees but there was. When we got to Fangorn Forest he disapeared. We was on our way back with a few supplies from my homeland." Adu lost all contempt in her voice. It was as if all she was, was a hollow shell with a voice. Adu motioned Isaac to follow her to where Count was.

"A few days later I found his horse and sword. The only reason that was found is because they were tied to a tree." Adu went on telling Isaac about how she had returned to Rohan companionless. "No one has traveled with me since." Adu had always been told that she was cursed with all her companions deathes. She didn't know what else to do.

Count was happy to see her. Yet it looked like Count didn't know what to think of Isaac. Adu placed her hand on Counts neck and began stroking his mane. Adu turned to look at Isaac who seemed startled. She didn't know what was wrong. "Isaac whats wrong with you? Count isn't going to hurt you." Her words didn't seem to reach Isaac. Adu snapped her elvish fingers but nothing happened. To her it seemed like he was in some sort of trance. Adu had neve been around someone like this before. She tried shaking him but nothing happened. "What do I do now?"

Last edited by Witch_Queen; 05-13-2004 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:23 AM   #95
Archsage Isaac
Animated Skeleton

I remember... everything. It's as clear as if it happened yesterday. Adu and I were traveling through Eryn Lasgalen when we were seperated. I had only left her side for a second. I tied my horse to a tree near the path and then pointed my sword in the direction I was going. I was attacked by that beast and knocked unconscious. But how did I kill it? How could I have, I was unconscious! Isaac's eyes were trained on a spot between Adu and Count. His amnesia was gone, but he was still as confused now as he ever was. Without warning he quickly reached and took hold of Adu's hands, slightly shocking her.

"Adu, I can remember the forest as clearly as if it were yesterday. The scents, the sounds, the sights. Everything. I still don't remember anything else though. Perhaps if you told me more then my latent memories will resurface, that is if you
don't mind helping me..." he said, still with that pleading look in his eyes. He was much to proud to say it, but he needed to remember and he needed her help in doing so.

Last edited by Archsage Isaac; 05-14-2004 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:36 AM   #96
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Please remember the Shire is a Tolkien based RPG site. Characters and their actions are to be Tolkien-friendly and within the realm of possibility that Tolkien might have allowed.

There is to be no use of 'magic' in Shire Games.

Thanks!

~*~ Piosenniel Shire Moderator

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-12-2004 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:55 PM   #97
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Mira

"Hobbies, eh?" said Mira. "Well, I love to read. And play my flute, of course. Riding my pony is lovely as well. I love riding in the morning; the way the sun gently warms the grass, melting the frost and lifting it away from the tender blades. The birds awake slowly, filling the air with soft chirps and sweet melodies; the sky becomes a magnificent, brilliant blue. Riding in the morning and watching the world wake up..." she trailed off, her blue eyes staring off into space dreamily.

Willow touched her shoulder gently, saying, "Mira? Wake up, Mira."

Mira shook herself out of her reverie, smiling at her comrades. "Sorry...sometimes I become lost in my thoughts. Where were we? Ah, yes, hobbies. You say your uncle has a library, Lily? I love reading all sorts of different books. What is your favourite? Mine has to be Far-Away Tales. It is quite a beautiful book; full of wonder and excitement."
Old 05-12-2004, 09:12 PM   #98
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
An uncharacteristically genuine smile came across Snaveling’s face at the mere thought of an attempt to claim the throne of Gondor as his own. He chuckled in a manner that was almost merry as he reassured Aman, “I do not intend to challenge the King, my friend.” He suddenly saw himself before the throne of the King, flanked on all sides by Elessar’s doughtiest warriors and the splendour of his court, and he saw himself hurling a challenge at the King and demanding that the Man who reigned in Minas Tirith step down from thence and yield to Snaveling of the Hunting Folk. His chuckle became a laugh, and his head fell back against the chair in his mirth as he contemplated the picture he had created for himself. When he looked back at Aman he could see confusion and amusement in her eye, so he explained what had made him laugh.

Aman smiled in turn to hear Snaveling describe the scene of his threatening. “Indeed,” she said, “I did not ask if you meant to challenge the King with any hope that you might succeed. But there are those yet in the world who would flock to the banner of one descended from last King of Númenór – although I doubt that you would find any of them to be trustworthy allies.”

“I am still learning of such matters,” Snaveling replied lightly, “so I will take your word for the truth and good sense that I know it to be. But I have yet to answer your true question, although you took care not to ask it as bluntly as perhaps it needs to be: why can I not keep my secret? There are two answers to that. The first is that there are already at least three people who know – Roa, Galadel and Toby. Roa is bound by her oaths and her duty to reveal what she has learned to her lord, and I would not ask her to deny those oaths, even if I thought there was a chance that she would. Galadel is an Elf and thus I do not know what she will do with the knowledge – but you can be sure that if it is a weighty matter she will take it to those among her kin who yet remain in Middle-Earth who possess the wisdom she deems necessary, and they will take counsel on the matter. As for Toby,” and here he smiled again, “I doubt not that if I asked the rogue to keep my secret he would…for as long as he could. Wine or age or forgetfulness would loosen his already infirmly fastened tongue and he would spread the tale of his friend the True King of Númenór to the patrons of the Inn. No, Aman, I am afraid that it is impossible to keep this as a secret now.”

Aman took this all in with a nod. She paused for a moment before speaking carefully. “You said that there were two answers to my question.”

Snaveling settled back into his chair with a sigh. “Yes,” he said slowly, “the second answer.” The sounds of people gathering in the Common Room mingled with the birdsong that came through the open window of Aman’s private lounge. Snaveling noted for the first time how different this room appeared in daylight. No longer was it the close and faintly foreboding place that it had seemed the night before, when it had been the scene of his confrontation with Aman. In a way, it seemed smaller in the light – certainly, much less threatening. The furniture, before solid and dark, was now comfortable and well-made. It occurred to the Man that perhaps the change had not been in the room, but in himself…

“The second answer,” he said again slowly as he fingered his amulet. He stood suddenly and strode to the window and stood there, looking out at the dawn of a new day as though he understood what it meant. “That’s a more difficult answer to explain, but I shall try. All my life I thought I knew precisely who and what I was – and what life was like and what my place should be in it. I had my dreams, but I never really believed in them; not in the way that people with a home and a safe place to call their own can believe in their dreams. But now I find that perhaps I am not the person I thought I was – that perhaps, just perhaps, I am more than that lonely Man who stumbled into this Inn all those weeks ago, with naught but malice in his heart and a gnawing hunger in his belly.” He turned to face Aman, and his eyes blazed with a cold flame. “I do not wish to deny who I am, not any longer. I may find the price of my new self-knowledge to be high, but I shall not shirk from the debt I owe my ancestors. I do not make any claim upon the throne of Gondor – but I will demand recognition from the one sits upon it.”
Old 05-12-2004, 09:35 PM   #99
Quicksilver_Sprite
Animated Skeleton

Quicksilver_Sprite has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

As the conversation meandered through the topic of hobbies, Farren felt a tad lost among the hobbits, until books were mentioned. Farren was on friendly terms with books, an imagined comrade to the heroes and next door neighbors, thrust into adventures that would ordinarily be out of the question. The transmutation of simple black ink into palaces of marble and ivory, creatures of unspeakable terror and sweeping vistas of unspeakable beauty was entrancing. "I love to read," said Farren abruptly, feeling that one of her favorite topics did not deserve to linger on the tip of her tongue, unspoken and soon forgotten.

"Really?" said Mira enthusiastically. "What kind of books do you like to read?"

"Anything is fair game, though poetry is a bit beyond me," replyed Farren, chuckling a bit as she remembered trying to get through a volume of particularly dull verse, becoming so bored that she had found herself reading the same line for the third time. "I have to say though that fairy tales are some of my favorites."

Dream a dream / And see through angel's eyes / A place where we can fly away
Ride with me upon a shining star, / Above the moonlit sky / We will find Elysium
Old 05-13-2004, 05:32 AM   #100
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

1420!

"Far-Away Tales is a good one," Lily agreed. "But my favorite? Hm. I love stores about the old days, about old kings and valiant deeds. I suppose my favorite book would have to be A Collection of Tales Concerning the Elder Days. My uncle, he said it was a real find because it had Elvish tales that weren't written in Elvish." Part of the reason Lily loved the book so was not because of the content, however. The book was beautiful, with a black leather cover and wonderfully crisp pages, and in and of itself held enchantment for Lily. "However, I will read anything that is a book," she said grinning. Lily's eyes were sparkling, as they had a tendency to do whenever she was enjoying herself or excited about something. "And yes, my uncle has a library. He has been collecting books for several years, sometimes travelling if there was one he particularly wanted, but more often buying them off of the many different people that stay in Bree while going through town."

Lily sat back with a sigh, and at once noticed two things. One was how different the Inn looked during the day with sunlight streaming in through the windows, and the other was how much cleaner the common room looked than when she had first come down that morning. Most of the tables and chairs had been put away, and there were no longer empty mugs sitting on the tables. She tuned back into the conversation, waiting for someone else to speak.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:06 AM   #101
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

nynnd1 has just left Hobbiton.
Bredan marched into his room and picked up his sword, he ripped it out of it’s sheath and the sound of the metal swiping through the air rang in his ears, suddenly all the anger, jealousy and frustration in his body bubbled up to the surface and he blew, letting out what he thought might have been the loudest roar ever heard in the shire, his lungs emptied upon the deep sounding thunderous voice that shook everything in his room. ‘Thud’ his sword ripped in the wood of the door frame. He sheathed his sword still angry as he run out of the room towards the bar, his heart telling him to get revenge upon Snaveling, his brain telling him to calm.

He did not like the fact that after getting over Iolet he was straight back in love……

Was it love, it felt like what he felt for Iolet, but was that love, or were they both infatuation, he did not really care at the moment, he was an angry man. He ran marched into the bar with his heart still willing him to find Snaveling, but his body seemed to take him to the bar. He summoned young Hobbit lass.

“One strong ale.” he said rather loud, and not exactly in the most pleasant way it could have been said

“Please” he added with after thought.

The Hobbit Lass seemed insulted by the way Bredan spoke.

“Sorry” He said as she placed the drink on the bar.

Bredan drank it all with no pause.

“And another, please.”

Bredan’s mind was thinking of what he should do now, he could always leave, go some other place.

“No, I like it here, I will not run again.”
Old 05-13-2004, 11:12 AM   #102
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Aman bound up quickly, turning to Snaveling with her mouth open. The man did not turn. Approaching him slowly, she put one hand on his shoulder from behind. He did not stiffen, as the 'old' Snaveling would have done, but turned his face very slightly towards her.

"Well, why not?"

"Snaveling, you cannot! King Elessar...Snaveling, you obviously will have heard of the fall of men, am I right?"

He nodded slowly. "Somewhat..."

"Somewhat?!" she barked incredulously in reply. "Snaveling, you are descended from them that caused that - those that caused Numenor to sink into the sea and caused Men to fall from the favour of the Valar. Elessar...Elessar is practically sworn to kill you. And I'm sure I shouldn't like that very much," she added, smiling slightly. Snaveling only gave a small smile though, and when he turned, his face was still solemn and bore a thoughtful expression that the Innkeeper rather disliked.

"But my people...we were above his..." he replied slowly.

"You drove them into hiding, Snaveling! And yet you will go and ask him for land? For recognition? Oh, please, don't be...foolish!" Her voice was becoming more desperate now. But something flashed in Snaveling's eyes at this, some resentment or anger, and for a long, awful moment, the Innkeeper thought he would make some regal comment, remand her and make her bow before him...

But Snaveling was not stupid, and neither was he unkind and ungrateful. He still honoured Aman's kindness and, yes, her friendship. He sighed, the flash dying in his eyes, and turned to look out of the window again. It was a beautiful view, always one of Aman's favourites: the land on which the Green Dragon sat fell away in a smooth slope downwards to this side, meaning Aman's private rooms - her private parlour and room - were allowed a surprisingly farseeing view across the Shire. Of course, they were on the ground floor, so the view did not go as far as it might have done otherwise, but this window was wider than many. The ground was lower outside the Inn than inside it by about a foot, and so the Innkeeper was also afforded privacy when in her rooms: she could look out of the wide window and not be disturbed by people looking back. Suddenly, she was struck anew by how lovely and isolated the Shire was, untouched for all the strange folk that strayed through it. Turning to Snaveling, she held out a hand. "Come, I want to show you something, Snaveling."

He looked puzzled and even a little hurt. "Aman I...well, what about-"

"This is relevant, Snaveling. Well, sort of..." she added, wrinkling her nose, then became more serious. "Please?"

The Man looked a little bemused and shrugged. "If you think so, Aman..."

The Innkeeper grinned back and exited the parlour. Looking around guiltily, she noted that Brendan wasn't there - just as well, she wasn't sure how to explain. Wasn't sure she really needed to, actually, but still. Nodding back to Snaveling, she marched briskly across the Common Room and up the stairs, keeping a fair pace as the kept going up until she had reached the attic. Taking the stepladder with practised ease, she then looked back down at Snaveling as he followed more slowly. As he reached the top, he looked ready to ask for an explanation, but the Innkeeper held up a hand. "Ah ah...you'll see."

"You're being very enigmatic about this," he replied with an ironical eyebrow. She grinned back. "Yes, and probably a little childish. But please, Snaveling, I...I think you should see this," she ended carefully. Walking to the pretty round window, she deftly undid the latch and swung it open. Then, using the edge of the bed as a platform...she swung her legs out onto the ledge.

Snaveling gave a small sound of exclamation that made her look back, her feet dangling in mid-air, her hair whipped gently by the wind. He looked slightly horrified and certainly very confused now as he took an involuntary step towards her. "Aman, that doesn't look-"

"Oh, stop that. Anyway, you'd better watch how I'm doing this - you'll need to get up as well." Still sitting, she drew her feet up to her chest on the ledge and, after a silent count of three, stood, one hand on each side of the sill. The Innkeeper had done this enough times for her skirt not to get in the way significantly any more, but she was, of course, still very careful. Three stories was a long way to fall by anyone's measure. But the Innkeeper was not some dainty lady of leisure from the high circles of society in Minas Tirith: Amanaduial was something far more than that.

Turning carefully, swapping her feet over in their positions so she was facing the other way, the top window ledge coming up to her waist, she leant back, her fingers finding the easy notches some distance above the ledge that made it so easy for her to get up and placed one leg on the top ledge. With a smooth effort, she pulled herself up, moving one hand up to grasp the edge of the roof and shifting her other leg onto the top of the ledge as well, so her waist was now roughly level with the roof. After that, it was fairly easy to get onto the sloping roof, swinging herself up and sliding around.

Looking down, she called softly to Snaveling. "Snaveling, come up. It's lovely here - it's a place that's special to me. Come...look at the view, the Shire, Hobbiton, Bree...by challenging Elessar, you challenge all this. Look at my view..."
Old 05-13-2004, 11:54 AM   #103
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Snaveling paused for a moment on the window-ledge unsure if it were wise to follow the far more agile Innkeeper on to her precarious seat. But the prospect held by the excitement in her voice was irresistible, so holding his breath he followed her as best he could. His movements were far clumsier than hers had been, and had it not been for Aman’s quick reflexes and ready hand he would have fallen. But after much scrambling he was on the roof and looking out at the land as he had been directed.

It was, indeed, a breath-taking sight. He had scaled the White Mountains in his youth in pursuit of prey, but had never taken the time to enjoy the view that it afforded of the low lands between them and the Sea. Once, many years ago, he had crossed the Misty Mountains and seen the lands of Eriador laid out beneath his feet, but that land – for all its beauty – had been wild and empty, with only the occasional ruin to mark that any had lived there. This land, however, was full of people and cultivation. As far as his eye could see there were the signs of industry and harvest, of happily ordered villages and sensible roads. He understood then what Aman meant when she warned him against his chosen course of action. For this land, as remarkable as it might be, was only a small portion of the world over which the King Elessar ruled; it reflected only in the smallest part the order, wisdome and might with which he ruled his lands. Far to the South he knew that there were more and more lands like this, peopled with Men who would regard Snaveling and all that he represented as a threat to the well-ordered industry and society that they had built.

He turned to Aman. A gentle wind stirred their hair, lifting and mixing the strands together. The sun shone bright, but Snaveling could see on the horizon, and fast approaching, clouds that threatened rain. “I believe I understand what you are trying to tell me with this view, my friend. But I am afraid that I will not be deterred from this. One way or another, word of me will reach the King. If he is, as you fear, sworn to my destruction, then will he not send for me? If I am to die for who I am, I would rather that it come at a time and place of my own choosing, and not at the end of an assassin’s blade on a lonely road, unseen and unremarked. I know what you will say next, that I should present myself to the King in humility, and beg his indulgence. This is, I admit, something that I have done before, when pressed. But I will not do so now. I have told you already, and I will tell you again, that I will not seek to press my claim to the throne. But I will not deny who I am, nor will I give up on the dreams that have been my reason for living, now that their realisation stands so near at hand!”

Aman saw the determination in his face and sighed lightly in apparent defeat. “Snaveling, my friend, I do not think you do understand fully…but I see that you are not to be deterred.”

“No,” he said, “I am not. But do not despair for me – and strange it is indeed to me that you should! The crimes that you speak of are long in the past, and were practised by Men about whom I know practically nothing. Surely that will matter for something in the eyes of the King? The past means little to my people, and while I know that this is not true for other Men, I will continue to hope that I will be judged for what I have done with my own life, and not for who came before me. But there, Aman, if you wish to despair of my fate, then there is much that I have done for you to worry about. Am I not bound to Roa to appear before her King for judgement of my attempt upon her life? While such a matter may appear trivial to a High King when set alongside the enmities of history, I assure you that it is a far weightier matter to me than all the ancient tales put together!” The mention of Roa drove his mind back to his purpose in seeking out Aman. Looking back out upon the landscape, he began carefully. “It was about Roa that I wished to speak with you, Aman. I am afraid that she feels much as you did – that I wish to challenge her King. I fear, in fact, that she sees me now as a blood enemy. This causes me…regret – and I do not wish to feel such, regret. Do you think there might be some way for me to reassure her of my intentions? For as I am bound to her, I feel it my duty to be clear and honest. And,” he paused for a moment before resuming, “it is important to me that Roa understand my mind fully.”
Old 05-13-2004, 03:27 PM   #104
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Aman glanced at Snaveling from behind her wind-whipped hair, before pulling it back and twisting it over her shoulder in one hand. "Bound to Roa..." she murmured. Snaveling looked sharply at her and she gathered her wits quickly.

"Yes, I suppose you could say that you are...bound to her. Her promise certainly. But-" she stopped, debating whether to tell him what she suspected the ranger woman felt. What if she raised a false hope, only to be dashed? She wasn't sure he was ready for that - when depressed or drunk, she had already found Snaveling to be dangerous. And besides, what was to say she wasn't wrong.

"But..."

"But...well, have you discussed it with her, Snaveling? No, don't dismiss it immediately. How do you know what she feels unless you have asked her?" The Innkeeper paused, looking back at Snaveling until the man looked away, his dark eyes roving over the hills far away. Shifting slightly, the Innkeeper drew her knees up a little on the sloping roof, rearranging her skirt as she thought then placing them carefully together on top of her knees. She looked back at the Man. "Snaveling, you must discuss it with her. And if nothing else...well, at least there will no longer be this fear and doubt. You will know her mind clearly, and that, at least, is something, if not something much.

"I am glad you understood why I took you up here, although I regret that you will not be swayed. But to march up to the king and ask for..." she trailed off, looking away. It was true that she understood Snaveling, but somehow she still feared for him. Strange, Aman - he is of the Hunters, more than capable of looking after himself. But still: Aman had seen something in Snaveling in the evening in her study when he had poured out his heart to her, and it was something that others did not see, something behind the hard-faces villain or mysterious figure in gentleman's clothes that others saw. Maybe Roa had seen one side but, whatever Aman felt, she wished for Snaveling's sake that Roa had seen the same side as Aman.

"Still, what do I know of kings and ancients?" she grinned cheekily then became more solemn again, her voice soft and sincere. "Talk to her, Snaveling. Tell her truthfully, do not hide behind riddles and mystery - you are apt at it, and that is not an insult! But...but you need to give her something more. Talk to her alone, as you have talked to me on here - tell her what you told me. If she does not believe you..." she shook her head, shrugging. "Go to Gondor with her anyway. If words will do nothing for her, actions will surely speak louder."

Resting her head back against her shoulders and neck, Aman spread her arms against the wind, her sleeves, wide skirt and hair blowing back in the wind as she closed her eyes. The tantalising smell of cooking food swept up in the breeze and the Innkeeper opened her eyes slowly, turning to Snaveling, who was watching her. "Ruby is going to skin me alive if I tarry for very much longer, my friend. Listen, bear in mind my words, please - all of them, Snaveling," she added meaningfully. He contemplated her for a second with that dark, enigmatic gaze, then nodded slowly. She smiled, then rose, holding out her arms to balance as she walked towards the edge of the roof with the confidence and agility of a cat.

"Then come, Snaveling - you just managed to get up, lets see how you manage getting down again. You cannot be that much older than me - lets see how one of your position can rival a horse-maiden of Rohan," she teased.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:33 AM   #105
Angel_Queen
Animated Skeleton

Angel_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Ravon
Ravon woke up and pushed the covers off of herself. She was glad it was the next day. With her eyes still covered in sleep she began to walk around the room until she tripped over someone. She rubbed her eyes to see that Lewis was still asleep. Ravon wasn't sure if she should wake him or not.

She quickly got dressed and decided that it was time for Lewis to get up. She walked over to him and gently shook the sleeping figure. Memories from the party still lingered in her head. Ravon could remember the dance they had shared together and how wonderful she had felt being in his arms. Even though her mind wanted to pass it off as a dream Ravon wouldn't let it.

"Lewis, dear wake up. It is morning already and you don't want to sleep all day now do you?" Lewis rolled over and Ravon began to smile. No matter how many times she had seen him wake up, Ravon still loved that part the best. She layed her hand in his as his eyes began to open. "Good morning, my dear Lewis of Rohan. I hope you sleeped well."

It had been a while since Ravon had her nightmare. Even though it had been a long time she still felt that it would haunt her for forever. Her life was at the best time she had ever had it. She had Lewis with her now and nothing or no one was going to take him away from her. At least thats what she thought. Ravon ran her hand along the ring she had given him the day that had met. Ravon never wanted her life with Lewis to end.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:07 PM   #106
SonOfBombadil
Animated Skeleton

Location: In a place that is not a place, in a time that never was.
SonOfBombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Shield Lewis

Lewis woke up. And when he opened his eyes he could see sunlight coming throught the window. He could also see the most beautiful face looking into his. He smiled. "Good morning, my dear Lewis of Rohan. I hope you slept well." Ravon said to him in a happy voice.

"Well yes, I did sleep well. Until I was so rudely woken up just now." Lewis said, jokingly. Lewis then shot a devilish little smile up at Ravon, and then he pulled her down to where he was. They play-wrestled for a minute, laughing all the while. "Well I guess I'll get up." Lewis said after a while. "If you wish it so."

"Well I do." she answered with her gorgeous smile.

"Alright, I'll get up." he said, "If you want to head on down and get some breakfast, I'll be down in a minute." She gave him a look. "I promise! How could I fall back asleep with all this sun streaming in here!" Satisfied, Ravon left the room. Lewis got up and got dressed, all the while thinking of how wonderful Ravon is.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:27 AM   #107
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

nynnd1 has just left Hobbiton.
Bredan was on his sixth mug of ale, and still going steady. He could feel people looking at him disapprovingly, he guessed for drinking this early and also drinking this much this early. The Hobbit lass behind the bar came near enough to him for Bredan to request what he had been requesting throughout the morning, though it was not what he really needed. A clear head would have served Bredan better, especially with his current circumstance, he was just about to find out what Miss Aman thought about him when they had been rudely interrupted, he had made up his mind, or rather the drink had made up his mind for him.

He had decided that Snaveling was an old flame of Aman’s, they had an argument, all Snaveling’s fault obviously. And now Snaveling felt jealous of Bredan getting close to Aman, for he saw the look in Aman’s eyes directed to Bredan. Bredan himself was not to sure what the look was, but Bredan after a few drinks was certain that she liked him. Bredan looked around the inn, people enjoying there selves, eating breakfast, talking about him and staring like he was some animal to be looked upon, in the corner there was a couple, laughing and kissing each other, Bredan could feel jealousy breaking down the walls of his heart and consuming him.

The door opened and a mass of morning light shot through and hit Bredan’s eyes, he squinted and turned away, blinking to try and get the light from his eyes.

“I will have another drink now please maid” Bredan directed his speech at the maid, he had started to slur his words, and his vision was no longer perfect.

“If you must” was the reply.

“Well I must, for this morning the ale is acting as a killer of pain for my heart”, or so Bredan thought all it was doing was raising jealousy and anger in his mind and heart. Bredan drank this one a lot quicker than any he had drunk before, as this thought stuck in his head.

“And another please” he slurred out to the maid.

“I think you have had enough” she said back.

“Oh ok.” His voice getting louder. “ You know when I have had enough, but is my custom not welcome here, am I not good enough for your service,” Bredan waited to collect his thought’s. “I have had enough.” He said getting up.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:34 AM   #108
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Please Note:

Time will move forward in the Inn tomorrow, Monday, early a.m.

At present it is mid-morning.

Tomorrow it will be moved to mid-afternoon.

Thanks!

~*~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator
Old 05-16-2004, 12:03 PM   #109
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
“Who am I?”

“I’ve no notion who you are, but what you are seems plain enough: a feckless vagrant, that's what!” said a voice in reply.

“Well, since you’ve no notion who I am, and I’ve no notion who I am either, I can only beg you to help me stand up, and perhaps offer me a cup of tea,” said the nameless man at length, cracking open his eyes and propping himself up on one sore elbow.

“Lor bless me, the nerve of some people these days!” cried a fat, chestnut brown hobbit. “You’ve had a good night’s rest on the top of my flower patch! Mrs. Longholes will grind you into mulch when she sees this! And you've got the boldness to ask me for tea?

“I wouldn’t call it a good night’s rest,” said the nameless man. “Would you be so kind as to help me up at least?”

“I would,” said the hobbit, “but only because you are squatting in my wife’s favorite patch. If I saw you in the same shape anywhere else, I’d leave you for dead!”

The hobbit extended his plump, earthy hand. With more than a little effort, the nameless man lifted his much larger gloved hand and clasped the hobbit’s. Then, with a great sigh, he began to heave himself up off the ground. The task proved quite difficult, with the hobbit huffing and grunting as he pulled the much heavier Man. In the end, the hobbit’s efforts were in vain, and the nameless man had to summon all his strength to stand himself up.

“There, you’re up, and you’ve done in my back for good!” said the hobbit, glaring up at the man. “Now be off, and learn to respect other folk’s property.”

“No cup of tea?” asked the man, rubbing the back of his head and standing hunched over. He was a messy sight, his face haggard, his brown beard unkempt and his long dark hair clinging to his head in greasy disarray.

“Why you—you’d be lucky if I gave you a cup of spiders from my garden!” said the hobbit through clenched teeth.

“Very well,” said the man. “Can you direct me to an inn?”

“The Green Dragon’s just a short way down the street. Now be off, before I call Hal Whitfoot!”

“Thank you for your hospitality,” said the nameless man. Acting on some foggy recollection, he pulled four gold coins out of the left pocket of his tattered coat and handed them to the hobbit. “Perhaps that will pay for a few begonia seeds to replace the ones I slept on,” he said with a smile, and then was off.

He wandered down the unpaved road, past hobbit holes, garden patches and an old mill. The sun was still rising in the pale sky, and gusty wind was blowing from the east. Looking out from the vantage point of a small hill beside the path, he saw storm clouds brewing in that direction, riding the wind towards the Shire.

The Green Dragon was around a bend, a few yards removed from the path. The nameless man walked through the creaky front door, crouching to avoid hitting his head. Instantly, he was greeted with the smell of fried eggs, tomatoes and sausages, mingled with the stale odor of Longbottom Leaf smoked the night before.

“Good morning and welcome to the Green Dragon,” said a staggeringly beautiful and entirely unexpected woman. “Are you seeking lodging, breakfast or both?” she said, smiling pleasantly.

“Just a cup of tea,” stammered the man, feeling slovenly and intrusive.

“Have a seat at any table you choose,” said the tall, strikingly golden-haired young woman. “As you can see, we’re not particularly busy now- elevensies has just past, and lunch won’t be served for an hour or so. My name is Aman. What shall I call you?”

Unsure of what to say, the nameless man placed his hands in his pockets, fidgeting with the contents. His hand touched something strange, a hard sliver that chilled his palm even through his thick leather glove. Pulling it out, he saw that it was a small shard from a blade, with faded runes still visible on its dulled surface. A flood of images swept through his mind, with no clear pattern and no clear theme. Visions played out before his eyes of two riders on horseback, the mouth of a cave, a flash of metal and a man lying motionless on the ground, propped against the gnarly trunk of a great tree.

“Your name?” said Aman, looking rather uneasily at her guest. He came out of his momentary trance.

“Úmarth,” he replied grimly, feeling the name come to his lips from he knew not where.

“Have you been long in the Shire?”

“Long enough to be familiar with the Halflings, their land and their ways, at least, or so it seems,” he said at length. “At any rate, I think I may need to make accomodations for lodging after all. And I’ll take a pint of ale with my tea, if it’s not too much trouble.”
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."

Last edited by Son of Númenor; 05-16-2004 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:47 PM   #110
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Aman inclined her head with a slightly bemused, polite smile. "A...pint of ale and some tea, coming up, sir," she replied, as if this was the most ordinary request in the world, before she turned towards the bar to fulfil the request.

Having come down from the roof with Snaveling about half an hour ago, Aman had been surprised and relieved that Ruby did not actually intend to skin her alive - indeed, the hobbit actually seemed gratified that Aman was still in Middle Earth, as she had been utterly unable to locate the Innkeeper. As for Aman, despite having been Innkeeper for what amounted to many months at the Inn, she was not entirely sure about who was actually in charge, her or her hobbit servers, and was strangely glad that Ruby hadn't told her off, something she had, ironically, expected.

It had taken some doing to get Snaveling down from the roof - he had been slightly worse at descending than ascending even, and once more had nearly fallen. He had certainly left the Innkeeper with a few things to muse on, anyway - for one thing, what was that secretive, knowing smile he had given her when she had said he 'couldn't be much older than she was'. Most odd.... The Man had taken his leave of her not long afterwards, vanishing, and Aman had not seen him since. Neither had she seen Bredan - and that was disquieting. She was worried about the impulsive Gondorian man...

Taking the pretty, dinky clay kettle off the stove just inside the kitchen as it came to the boil, Aman poured some into a teapot and let the brew stew for a few moments while she drew a pint of ale - this new man's second request. Taking teapot and cup in one hand and pint in the other, hooked a ready milk-jug with a spare finger before depositing the lot elegantly before Umarth and rearranging them into a neater order. "There you go, sir, some of the cook's finest Mulberry tea."

"Mulberry? Hmm." The single syllable seemed approving as the man took the cup, although his smile seemed rather worried still.

"Shall I put it on a tab, sir?"

A pause followed. Umarth seemed entirely taken up by stirring his tea.

"Sir?"

Evidently, there was something hypnotic about the stirring. However, much as it may have been Aman's heart's dearest, deepest wish to stand and watch the man stir his tea, the Innkeeper could feel her tired mind slowly being dragged into it's steamy depths... She tried again.

"Umarth?" she ventured this time. The man jerked up as if suddenly waking, looking a little confused for a split second as he peered at Aman. "A tab, sir?" Aman prompted.

"Ah yes....yes," he replied vaguely. Aman withdrew the hefty logbook from under the bar and slipped it onto the bartop in front of the man, to one side of his various beverages, producing a pen from her skirt and flicking deftly to the right page. "Alright, if you could sign here, and put your name in the Common...are you sure you're quite alright, Umarth?" The last part was added as she peered at the man's face. Frankly, she was curious - there was something very odd about this stranger. No doubt he'll fit right in...
Old 05-16-2004, 10:46 PM   #111
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Please Note:

Tomorrow, Monday, @ 9 a.m. Pacific time U.S., time in the Inn will move forward to midafternoon.

~*~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator
Old 05-16-2004, 10:55 PM   #112
SonOfBombadil
Animated Skeleton

Location: In a place that is not a place, in a time that never was.
SonOfBombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Ferumbras Whitfoot

Ferumbras looked at the little camp fire he had started with satisfaction. It had taken him much of the morning to get it going and to set up his invention. I may not be the best at starting fires, Ferumbras started, but I do know a thing or two about putting them out! He then turned towards the inn, about 30 yards away, to find Aman.

Ferumbras walked through the door, the smell of elvensies remnants, along with pipesmoke and freshly cut wood wafted through his nostrils. He scanned the room for the Rohirric innkeeper. Ah! There she is! Next to that.. um.. gentleman. The little hobbit scurried over.

Ferumbras started speaking in a business-like, yet friendly voice. "Pardon me misstress Aman, but I've set up a demonstration of my invention. If you and the other workers of the inn have half a moment, I'd love to show it to you in action." The sandy-gold haired hobbit smiled and hoped for a positive reaction.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:40 PM   #113
Gird
Animated Skeleton

Gird has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Gird laughed a big and hearty laugh. "Does it ring any bells? Of course it does my dear miss. I used to work for your father, collecting stuff for his shop! I remember you now. You were only five or so last time I saw you. Now look at you, you've definitely grown up, that's for sure." Gird leaned back in his chair, marvelling at things past. He had only been a young lad at the time that he started working for Vahn. He worked for Vahn all the way up until...

"I beleive I was about sixteen when I left." Gird started. "The skills I had learned while looking for 'treasures' have certainly aided me in my life since then." A look came into Girds eyes as he reminisced about something. Or was it everything? his whole mysterious life and times before that seemed to flash all about him... He woke from his trance, and looked at Eleniel.

"They certainly have."

"I am Ugluk, I command."
Ugluk
Old 05-17-2004, 06:35 AM   #114
Angel_Queen
Animated Skeleton

Angel_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Ravon was glad to have Lewis there. After eating her breakfast Ravon walked outside to get some fresh air. It had been a while since she had gotten to walk outside without everyone else in the inn around. She turned to see that Lewis had followed her. Ravon could only smile at the only face she wanted to see. Ravon couldn't wait until she could go to Rohan with Lewis and see his home.

All she wanted to do was sit outside and enjoy nature all she could, while she could. Ravon wanted to stay with Lewis for as long as she could. "Lewis, perhaps there's more out there for us. Perhaps there is a life beyond the one we have here." Ravon's words trailed off in the wind. To her it was a beautiful day, even though she had heard that it was suppose to rain. She didn't care. The grass felt good on her elvish feet. She didn't have to worry about wearing any type of shoes.

Ravon remembered the first day she met Lewis and how fast she had began to like him. She knew that she shouldn't have done it but Lewis was there for her when she needed it. Lewis had helped change Ravon into what she was now.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:52 AM   #115
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Aduthondiel
"Isaac, I've told you all I know. I can't say anymore." Adu was furious since it seemed that Jack had come back into her life. "I try to forget it all. I have told you everything so now you'll have to figure everything else out on your own. I will not and I will never relive that part of my life." Adu placed the saddle on Count. She had decided that an afternoon ride would be good for the both of them.

She looked back at Isaac who was staring at her. Adu knew her words were harsh but wasn't suppose to strike him that hard. "Listen Isaac I'm sorry. Its hard for me to relive that part of my life. I can't stand it when I am forced to think of something so horrible." Adu wasn't telling Isaac the entire story.

Adu never saw his sword. All she saw was the horse at the tree. She had taken Rep back to Dorian. Jack had always talked about a brother he had, Adu had never met him. How many times will I have to remember that day. I can't tell Isaac everything. Isaac had a pleading look in his eyes. She couldn't handle it anymore. She told him about how Jack had told her that he wasn't going back to Dorian. Jack hated the way Dorian had treated Adu and wouldn't be able to see her being tormented. Adu was a great swordsman even if she was a woman but Jack didn't think Adu could last long under Dorian's command.

When she needed Jack the most he wasn't there. When Adu had returned with the horse Dorian had blamed her for Jack running away. Adu was made to clean up the stables, and wasn't allowed to join the others on the next journey. When I was punished for what Jack did, Hama was the one that stayed there to comfort me. I vowed that I would never go back to Jack or Dorian. When the day came for Adu to leave to find Crystal, Adu had decided that she needed to prove to Dorian that she could do it. She didn't have to rely on men to take care of her. She remembered being told that she was the elvish version of Eowyn.

"Isaac I only know that what Jack did after he abandoned me I don't know and I really don't care. I have had to live with the fact that when I needed him, he was never there. It's too late for him to come back to my life. I had almost banished him from my memories but you..." Adu stopped. She couldn't finish her sentence. What else can I do? Isaac will never make me remember the feelings I did have for Jack. All my emotions are dead now toward him. The day he left was the day he brought about his own down fall.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:20 AM   #116
Archsage Isaac
Animated Skeleton

Isaac stood looking at Adu. He had listened to her story, listened to what she had told him about their past. "Adu, I'm sorry that I hurt you in the past, I shouldn't have. But you have to understand. I don't remember it, what I did to you or why I did it." he stopped and placed one hand on his sheathe. He turned his back to her and began to walk back to the inn, but stopped after taking a few steps.

He looked over his shoulder back to her. "Do you remember where you were born? Where you grew up, your family, your friends? All I was trying to do was possibly remember my past. I see now that I should have never tried to regain them. I should have kept my mouth shut and taken comfort that I have no memories but something drove me to try and find out. I'm sorry, Adu. Enjoy your ride, old friend." As he said these words, he turned and walked back to the inn.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:47 AM   #117
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

The cellar was cool but still his efforts made Snaveling sweat. He had set
aside his outer garments before getting to work for fear of soiling them
overmuch. He had done some damage to them in his clambering about the roof
with Aman, but he was not yet so vain as to mind the slight snags and an odd
bit of dirt. It was just that he had spent a good amount of Toby's money on
the clothes and he wanted to protect them for as long as he could. And so he
worked, hauling empty barrels and casks up from the cellar and rearranging
the rest, in nothing more than a simple white shirt and breeches. He had
always been strong and lean - his life in the wild had seen to that - but
the last few weeks of good food and hard labour on the reconstruction of the
Inn had given his muscle both mass and tone. He was amazed by his own
ability to lift heavy barrels, and once, or so he thought, he had caught one
of the halfling lasses gazing at him with open admiration as he pulled a
huge barrel up the cellar stairs before slinging it onto his back and
carrying it into the yard.

Aman's words to him atop the Inn remained with him throughout his morning's
labour. He smiled several times as he remembered his reference to his age.
All of his people were long-lived, his own father had been well over a
hundred when he died, and Snaveling knew little of other Men, so it had
never really occurred to him that his 78 years was so much out of the
ordinary. His mind pursued this thought and connected it with what Galadel
had told him about Númenór and its descendants. If what she had said were
true then Roa, too, came from a long-lived people. He had assumed that she
was no more than a score of years of so, and this had added to his despair
of ever telling her how he felt - but if she were of the same kind and
manner as himself, she could easily be much older. This thought gave him
some comfort.but not enough to convince him to seek out the Ranger and open
his heart to her.

After a couple of hours’ hard labouring he paused in his work and went up to the
kitchen for a bite of food. He had eaten no breakfast for the swimming in
his head from the night before, but the air that he had breathed at the top
of the Inn and the sweat he had shed in its cellar had cleared his mind, and
settled his stomach. The serving maids, who had, among all the folk in the
Inn, been the most suspicious of him when he first arrived, had become used
to his presence. His time spent alone with Aman had also gone a long way to
calming their fears about his nature, as had - he could see - his
transformation of the night before. Buttercup had even taken a bit of a
shine to the Man, for he loved her cooking and would eat prodigious amounts
of whatever she gave him. "Good morning Master Snaveling," she said as he
puffed his way into the kitchen, still breathing hard from his exertions.

"Good morning Mistress Brownlock," he replied politely. "I have been slaving
away in that cellar for two hours of back breaking, arm-straining labour - do you
think you could give me somewhat to eat by way of breakfast?"

"Breakfast?" the hobbit gasped. "My my, but I'm afraid that breakfast is
well out of the question; so too is second breakfast and elevenses and dinner! But you're just in
time for an early tea!" And within moments, Snaveling was seated at the little
kitchen table with a plate before him, upon which was piled warm bread from
the oven, two large apples, a large wedge of a creamy yellow cheese that
smelled like clover, half small cold meat pie, and enough butter and honey
for three loaves of bread. Snaveling set to, and much to his surprise
finished the lot, chasing it all down with a small ale from what he was
assured was the Innkeeper's own private stock. He stood up and stretched his
tired arms out as far as they could go, "Thank you Mistress Brownlock," he
said. "That was a wonderful breakfast, no matter what you call it. But to be
honest I can't believe I ate as much as I did - now that was a labour to
match what I've done this morning in the cellar!" The hobbit lass merely
smiled at him before whisking away the plate and cup.

Snaveling still had work to do in the cellar and yard, but decided to take a
look into the front room to see if Toby were still there (which he suspected
he was) and if he wanted to join Snaveling in a bit of a smoke (which he
knew he would). He left the kitchen and walked into the Common Room looking
about for his friend, but there swam into his vision Bredan, who had clearly
had too much to drink. As soon as the Gondorian youth saw Snaveling his eyes
narrowed into a look of intense dislike and his fist began to twitch as it
had when Snaveling had interrupted Bredan's discussion with Aman earlier.
Snaveling knew that common sense, not to mention common civility, dictated
that he move away from the young man and avoid a confrontation. But
Snaveling did not feel like giving way to the man, the boy, really. For too
many years Snaveling had done just what he should do now: turn away, hide,
pretend to be chastened. And he was tired of doing that. Tired, and a bit
proud, now, of his ancestry, and of the mighty line to which he stood heir.
It occurred to him that this man was a subject of the King Elessar, and that
he would undoubtedly hate and fear Snaveling, if he were to find out who he
was. This brought Snaveling's back to rigid attention, and set his eyes in
his skull like glowing coals. When he spoke, he did so with disdain and cold
authority. "You seem to be in my way," he said, his voice like steel drawn
through fine cloth. "Stand aside so I may pass!"
Old 05-17-2004, 09:56 AM   #118
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Aduthondiel
Adu noticed that the sky began to look like it was going to rain. She leaned down to Count and told her horse that plans had changed. Adu thought about where Hama was? It had been a day since he had left and she was already worried about him. She led Count back into the stables and took off the saddle. Isaac had returned to the inn and Adu thought she owed him a sort of apology.

After brushing Count Adu walked back to the inn to find Isaac. She saw him setting at a table all alone. "Isaac, I'm sorry about a few minutes ago. You don't understand what my life has been like since you left. I'm not even sure if I should call you Isaac or Jack. I'm not sure of anything anymore." All she knew was that her heart was with Hama and he would be returning to her with the position Dorian took for granted.

She told Isaac that he shouldn't be sad about finding his life. There was nothing he should regret. Adu had always felt bad about Jack leaving unti she met Hama. "Isaac, Jack, who ever you are. There is nothing to regret. There is a life somewheres for you but there isn't one here with me." Adu's tried to make her words sound sincere but didn't know how they sounded in the end. Adu still wished to go out for a ride but decided since the weather was getting bad perhaps she should just stay inside until the next day.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:57 AM   #119
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye Eleniel

Eleniel smiled as Gird spoke.

"Why sir," she said, "I believe I remember you! Forgive me, it has been many years and I did not recognise you at first." She remembered this man working in her father's shop, coming by to drop off goods and showing them to the his boss' brown-haired daughter. She had loved talking to him as he worked, although she was probably more of an annoyance to him than a partner in intelligent conversation.

"You should come back to Esgaroth some time, sir, and see the Raven's Nest. I've long since inherited it from my father, but it has changed very little since he retired. He has seen to that!" She gave a little laugh. The dog that had appeared at her feet wagged his silver tail, making a "thumpthumpthump" noise as it hit the wooden floor. Eleniel reached down and scratched his ears, and the thumping sound intensified.

"This is Arrow, my dog," she said. The silver wolfy-looking beast appraised Gird with a long stare. Then he struggled to his feet and licked Gird's fingers, showing his approval.

"Why did you leave Laketown, Gird, if I may be so bold as to ask? We have missed you."
Old 05-17-2004, 10:30 AM   #120
Archsage Isaac
Animated Skeleton

"Isaac, Jack, who ever you are. There is nothing to regret. There is a life somewheres for you but there isn't one here with me." Adu told Isaac. He could tell she was struggling to sound sincere. He looked out of a nearby window and watched the clouds. He thought it was slightly ironic. It had looked stormy the day they were seperated and now it looked stormy the day they were reunited. Isaac smiled for several moments but soon stopped and turned back to Adu.

Isaac shook his head before speaking. "Adu, I never planned on leaving you permanently. I was going to return to you as soon as I could, but I was attacked...I don't know. It's easy for you to say that there's a life for me somewhere. I'd wager that I could say that as well if I knew my past. I have no life, I've nowhere to go." He leaned forward, placed his elbows on his knees and buried his face in his hands.

It's true. I have nowhere to go, I have no one. I shouldn't stay here any longer, I should leave. I must leave, perhaps when the weather is better... he thought as he stood back up. Before Adu could reply to what he had said, he began to speak again. "Adu, you're right. I have no life with you now and I will pester you no longer. I will be leaving in two days, until then I will be around here. If you wish to talk, you're welcomed to try and find me." he walked out the door of the inn after he said these words. His eyes traveled and looked once again to the sky. Despite the impending bad weather the sky brought him a small feeling of comfort. Isaac walked over to one of the trees. It would do. The lowest branch was still quite a ways out of his reach. Isaac crouched down and jumped with all his might, quite easily catching hold of the thick branch and pulling himself up onto it. It was here that he sat, watching the patrons inside the inn.

Last edited by Archsage Isaac; 05-17-2004 at 03:26 PM.