Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2006, 08:43 AM   #241
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Does anyone else have a character to add to the suspect list?

If not, I'm planning to write a post this weekend (hurray for vacation!) in which names (characters not played by anyone) are mentioned as having been investigated and exonerated, leaving the named characters for further study by the search party after the time change.

Suggestions? Comments?
Old 06-23-2006, 09:09 AM   #242
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm thinking of having Eodwine tell Haleth that nothing worthwhile was discovered in the first day of town questioning. Could you add that into your post, Celuien?
Old 06-23-2006, 09:18 AM   #243
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Sure, Elempi.

Post to come either tonight or tomorrow, if there are no objections to my plan.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:35 AM   #244
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
No objections on my part. Good idea.

-- Folwren
Old 06-23-2006, 10:55 PM   #245
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
I seem to make a habit of apologies.... :(

I really humbly apologise again for not being around.

For the past couple of weeks, I've been tested during training at work. And going very poorly, I might add So all my browsing time's been eaten up on studying my training manual.

I've noticed people are making up wonderfully for my lack of writing for Sorn, and for that I'm thankful.

For the time skip, I have little preference. It might compensate for Sorn's elusiveness.

After the jump, I'll make a post. Anyone who wants to chat to Sorn about anything, please let me know. I'll also make sure to expect some visitors

Please take into account, on weekdays I'm unavoidably scarce. PM's are the best way to catch me.

- Tara
Old 06-28-2006, 08:23 PM   #246
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hypothetical Question

What sort of door locks would have been likely common in a Rohirric culture (how complex were they) - i.e., Sorn's study? I would imagine that it's not the sort you could open by just threading something stiff between the door and frame (Sorn would be at least that careful... right?). As for picking... tricky, but not unreasonably difficult (for anyone dedicated/determined - or slightly bored as could have been the case with a younger Scyld).

Scyld has already shown himself to be an eavesdropper and a snoop; I would imagine that he has, at least a few times in his life, broken in to Sorn's study for what ever reason (and perhaps other rooms?) - I would imagine that lock-picking is something he would have picked up along the way, however much he uses it (it'd be risky, so only for important things).

In case you've not figured it out, this isn't completely random... I'm thinking about Lin's things locked up in Sorn's study.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:31 PM   #247
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hypothetical answer

Locks only got complicated in the last century or so, I'm thinking. In the old days, the skeleton key and heavy lock would have been the way of things, and for added security you just added more locks. Unless I'm depending on movies and books that don't represent the reality....
Old 06-28-2006, 08:59 PM   #248
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
http://www.bergen.org/AAST/projects/...s/history.html

http://www.nokey.com/ankeymus.html

There's a start on some information on Locks for you. Must go walk the dog, I'll edit more in later.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:06 AM   #249
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

*takes a peek at all the information* Thank you for that Jenny!

I'm terribly sorry all, I didn't even think to look for info on locks and the like when I posted for Sorn in the study. Posting late on Friday nights has some drawbacks...

I mentioned Sorn had a 'key', though I really went into no detail. It would probably have to be some sort of lock with a portable key, as Sorn has it in his pocket at this current point in time.

Hopefully that helps narrow down a possible design. Again, so sorry that I made this necesary!

BTW, Fire do we plan on letting Scyld get away with it...or maybe make it a little more dangerous?

- Tara
Old 06-29-2006, 05:45 AM   #250
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Quote:
BTW, Fire do we plan on letting Scyld get away with it...or maybe make it a little more dangerous?
Don't know yet... depends a lot on what Scyld actually decides to do... he certainly won't go after her stuff until time is coming for her to be rescued. But dangerous is good...
Old 06-29-2006, 10:44 AM   #251
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Save is filled. I'll probably have something up for Haleth a bit later (he's just not as interesting compared to Scyld... ).

Also thanks for the feedback on locks. One of Jenny's websites said something about lock-picking not becoming a problem until 19th century sometime, which is when locks started getting more complicated, so I'm going to guess that Rohirric locks weren't terribly complicated. (With Sorn's reputation, I doubt he has to worry much about thieves anyway ). So Scyld has officially become something of a lock-pick.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:17 PM   #252
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Hello? Alcarillo? There was a question in post #57 that got left unanswered. And that little piece of plot development seems rather critical to the rescue of our heroine, don't you think? I guess Pio can insert as needed, but it would be nice to get this (not so) little side note taken care of.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:47 PM   #253
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm back, everyone, and wondering where I can jump in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Hello? Alcarillo? There was a question in post #57 that got left unanswered. And that little piece of plot development seems rather critical to the rescue of our heroine, don't you think? I guess Pio can insert as needed, but it would be nice to get this (not so) little side note taken care of.
I second that. I got the idea while glancing at the game thread that sometime when Derren came back to report to Haleth and Eodwine he could spot Alcarillo's two characters, and while he might not actually recognize their faces, he'll know their names and their voices. . .

However, he probably would have had a chance to see them before these four days had passed - except if he had only come in briefly and left as soon as giving his report and receiving new orders. In which case, he would only by chance cross paths with Alcarillo's characters.

If Derren recognizes them and realizes that they really shouldn't be in the city, then it could be one thread that is picked up on and reported.

What does everyone think?

Also, where is Thornden at the time?

-- Folwren
Old 06-30-2006, 07:52 PM   #254
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Alcarillo hasn't posted since June 24.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcarillo
I'm leaving for about a week the day after tomorrow, without a computer, so whoever's at the Mead Hall might have to do Osfrid's spying for me. I'll post tomorrow, getting Osfrid and Muriel to the Hall.
This means that he's back July 2. I don't feel up to handling Osfrid's spying. Does anybody else? I suggest that Alcarillo write this when he gets back, and has Pio insert it in a likely spot in the thread. Foley, are you willing to wait until July 2? If not, we could use your idea and see where it takes us. Maybe we need to use this discussion thread as our drafting quarters to fill in that story line?
Old 06-30-2006, 07:58 PM   #255
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
This means that he's back July 2. I don't feel up to handling Osfrid's spying. Does anybody else? I suggest that Alcarillo write this when he gets back, and has Pio insert it in a likely spot in the thread. Foley, are you willing to wait until July 2? If not, we could use your idea and see where it takes us. Maybe we need to use this discussion thread as our drafting quarters to fill in that story line?
Oh, yes, I'd be very happy to wait. In fact, it makes me much more less stressed. That's Sunday, June 2, right? Well, I will be gone that date. May return Monday late, or Tuesday mid afternoon. However, I may have computer access while I'm gone. Dunno yet.

But, yes, I'm fine with waiting on Alcarillo, and yes, also, we could use this Discussion thread for some drafting.

-- Folwren
Old 07-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #256
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
I've returned a day early. Sorry that my ill-timed vacation has messed up things, but I'm ready to start Osfrid's spying immediatley. So, I'll get Osfrid and Muriel introduced to Eodwine and from there they'll split up and start snooping around the mead hall. I assume there's a sort of hush-hush feeling when it comes to speaking about the kidnapping to strangers, with a lot of the same sort of round-about speech that Deren gave at the gate.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #257
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Alcarillo...either post your spying here, and let Pio put it in where needed, or perhaps as a flashback report to Sorn? I jumped the day ahead (two full days were skipped) and now feel ashamed about it.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:53 AM   #258
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Save filled. Lin's furious and Torim's panicking. Lovely, no?
Old 07-03-2006, 01:25 PM   #259
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I feel so horrible now.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:09 PM   #260
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

WHY!?! I love it...and Lin (and I) is completely flummoxed as to a response. I'll sit and think until at least I have a better idea.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #261
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Oh, I love it too. Very much. But if Scyld won't feel horrible about it, I have to for him...
Old 07-03-2006, 05:51 PM   #262
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Save filled. Jenny, or really anyone, can you help me out with what comes next? Should I post again once Lin's menfolk are there and write as though it should be assumed that they were found and came quickly, or would you like to write Mar. Jr. and Farlen, or... I have no idea.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:20 PM   #263
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Here it is: the spying. Pio, please insert at the end of post #57.

DONE

---------------------------------------------

Alcarillo's post

Osfrid bowed to the Eorl. "Thank you, lord, for your kind hospitality. My name is Bertwald, and this is my wife Hilda-" here Muriel curtsied, "-and we seek a good meal and lodgings for the night. We've traveled a long way, you see, we're on our way to visit my dying mother-in-law, and we would appreciate it if you could spare us travelers a room here…"

"That I can," the Eorl told them. "I will see that Kara brings two meals to you." Osfrid and Muriel sat down at his table, and the Eorl walked to the kitchens. Osfrid smiled encouragingly at Muriel. She sat uncomfortably in her chair, casting glances all around at everybody, acting nervous. "Don't worry," he whispered to her, "Just let me do the talking and nobody will suspect us of being anything more than a farmer and his wife on their way to a dying relative."

The Eorl returned, and soon after came plates of breads and cheeses and meats, and mugs of frothy ale. Osfrid dug in immediately. The picnic lunch by the roadside had hardly been enough to tide him over till dinner. He made conversation with the Eorl as they dined, hoping to probe his mind about the kidnapping.

"Lord, something has been troubling my mind ever since I entered the city. Now, I pass through this town often, always on my way to sell my goods at faraway markets, but today was different. There were guards at the gate this time. They stopped my cart, had to ask numerous questions and whatnot, gave my wife quite a scare, you see, and I've never had to be troubled like that before. Has something happened lately?… I've heard rumors something's happened."

"I would that you not worry overmuch. The guard on the gates is tripled at the order of the queen. I am sorry that your wife has been frightened, but it would be worse that she came to harm at the hands of those we would find...."

"Yes, my wife thought they were robbers at first… These guards don't have to do with the abduction of that princess, does it?" Osfrid said, hoping the change in subject would help him learn more. "I've heard rumors that she was kidnapped at the fair, but I was skeptical. Could've been false. I live far from Edoras, you see, and most of the news we get is mostly hearsay, usually twisted in some way or another. But when I saw the soldiers at the gate, I knew it must've been true! Isn't it true, lord?"

The Eorl seemed unsure what to say. "You have guessed right, though I wonder that your wife thought the guards were robbers, wearing Eorling markings at the gates of Edoras! Be sure that we are doing all we can to see to the matter. Excsue me, please, and I'll have a word with the guards; we do not want them to be overzealous in their duty..." He stood and bowed to his guests and left the table.

"What's he telling the guards?" Muriel asked when the Eorl was gone. "What if he knows we're spying? What if the guards will kill us in the middle of the night?"

"They're not going to kill us!" Osfrid told her. "That'd be ridiculous…" He reached a hand out to squeeze her shoulder comfortingly. "He doesn't know…at the worst he'll tell a guard to keep an eye on us. And I wouldn't blame him after his most important guest was kidnapped." Muriel nodded, and resumed dining, feeling a little better.

A little blonde girl came running around the table, giggling madly. A boy a few years older chased her around and around the tables. Osfrid watched the race, and couldn't help but smile at how adorable the little blonde girl was. As the little girl ran near, Osfrid reached out and caught her in his arms. "Gotcha!" he said, and she shrieked gleefully as Osfrid swung her into the chair next to him. She giggled again and squirmed in her seat. "Well, well," said Osfrid, "Who do we have here? What's your name, little girl?"

"Lèoðern," she told him, "And that's my brother Garmund."

Her brother came and tried to share the chair with his sister, causing more giggles and mirth. Osfrid sent him away with a special task. "Here, Garmund, I must send you on a special quest." The boy's eyes grew wide. "You must venture deep into the blazing hot kitchen and fill my ale mug with the cook's secret elixir! Go, be swift!" He gave the empty mug to the boy and pointed him in the direction of the kitchens. Garmund saluted like a soldier and bravely marched off to achieve his quest.

Alone with Lèoðern, Osfrid could begin questioning. "Well, Lèoðern, my name is Bertwald, and this is my wife Hilda." Muriel waved and Lèoðern waved back.

"Have you been to the horse fair yet? That's why my wife and I are here: to see all the horsies and buy things from the vendors." Osfrid told her.

"Yes! I went there. The fair was fun."

"Really? I think it will be fun when I go there, too. Who'd you go with?" He thrust a hand into a pocket to see if he could find some candy to loosen the girl's lips.

"With 'Egas and Linduial," she said, carefully pronouncing Linduial's name.

Osfrid nudged Muriel. "You might want to hear this!" he whispered. "Now, Lèoðern, you went with Linduial, eh? And who's Egas?"

"Degas!" she said, correcting him. "He's my friend. I rode on his shoulders."

"Rode on his shoulders, eh? Like on a horsie? He must be a lot bigger than you, then, to have carried you through the fair like that."

"Oh, yes. He's Linduial's size!"

Osfrid found some candies in a pocket. He had bought them for Muriel the last time he was at the fair, the same day they abducted Linduial. He passed one to Lèoðern. She giggled and swung her short little legs joyfully through the air. "So, it was just you, Linduial, and Degas at the fair?"

Lèoðern nodded, preoccupied with sucking on her candy. Her brother returned carrying a full mug of beer. "Kara didn't have what you told me to get, so I just got beer." Osfrid smiled and patted the boy on the head. He gave him a candy, too, and the boy took the seat next to his sister, eavesdropping casually on the conversation.

"Now, Lèoðern, does Linduial have other friends?"

"Oh, lots. Like Saeryn and her grampa."

"What's Linduial's grandpa like?"

"He's old. He's sitting over there." She pointed to an old man sitting by the fire. Osfrid thanked Lèoðern for her delightful conversation and told her and her brother to run along. They did, probably to tell everybody about the nice man with the candy, Osfrid realized with chagrin.

"Come, Muriel, let's go pick out a room for the night." She was unhappy to stand, being more comfortable sitting. To pass by all those guards and friends of the Eorl made her nervous. Osfrid smiled at her and wrapped an arm around her waist, and she forced a smile back. Osfrid would keep her safe. They walked together toward the hallway at the end of the hall, but Osfrid paused a moment beside a guard, and asked him quietly, "Who is that man by the fire? Isn't he Lady Linduial's grandfather?"

"No, sir, that's Marenil. He's a guardian of some sort. He came with her when she traveled from Dol Amroth."

"Thank you, lad," Osfrid said, and he and Muriel disappeared into the dark hallway beyond.

Last edited by Alcarillo; 07-08-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:46 AM   #264
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Nice work, Alcarillo! I'll need to ask you to change the words Eodwine says just a bit here and there, nothing major. Do you think that Marenil would be a little suspicious of Osfrid and Muriel?
Old 07-05-2006, 08:57 AM   #265
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'm posted something for Thornden after Torim's speach.

That was a good post, Alcarillo. Are we (the other writers at the Hall) going to do some writing in consequence of it, too, or do I not have to worry about it?

How soon will Osfrid be leaving Edoras? Will Deren see him again? If he does, he'll get suspicious, as I said earlier.

-- Folwren
Old 07-05-2006, 09:08 AM   #266
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

If you recall, Marenil was half-dozing through all that, too exhausted to stay alert, but too worried to truly sleep. I doubt he noticed, especially if Osfrid left early in the morning as he promised to.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:18 AM   #267
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I hate to be pushy, but I really don't know what to do next. Anybody have any tips? Requests? Random things that they'll pay me to write?

I know where Adragil and Farahil are, and how to find them, but I don't know exactly what Farlen's up to, how to find him, or what state he'll be in when I do. I know you gave me a lot of free rein, Jenny, but I'm not sure where exactly to start since he really is your character, and Maranil's son (forgot his name, dagnabbit) is as well...

Old 07-05-2006, 09:24 AM   #268
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Ennahir? *sigh* Will you be around some evening this week? We'll put together a post for the meeting of Farlen and Degas, and then see where you are from there.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:51 AM   #269
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

It might end up easier to work via PM since I can't guarantee any times I'll be around after noon on any given day.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:07 AM   #270
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Ok. PM is fine with me. We'll get something worked up...probably won't get anything to you until tonight though.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:54 PM   #271
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Quote:
Nice work, Alcarillo! I'll need to ask you to change the words Eodwine says just a bit here and there, nothing major.
Certainly! Just send me a PM and I'll change it right away.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:55 AM   #272
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcarillo
Certainly! Just send me a PM and I'll change it right away.
Sorry, the computer I'm at can't cut/copy and paste so I have to do it here or wait.

Quote:
"Certainly," the Eorl told them. "I'll have Kara bring you two a meal."
....becomes....
Quote:
"That I can," the Eorl told them. "I will see that Kara brings two meals to you."
Quote:
"Nothing I want my guests to worry about, just a matter of security the queen wants to be taken care of. I must tell the men to be more gentle with visitors, I don't want others frightened like you wife...."
.... becomes ....
Quote:
I would that you not worry overmuch. The guard on the gates is tripled at the order of the queen. I am sorry that your wife has been frightened, but it would be worse that she came to harm at the hands of those we would find...."
Quote:
"Yes. It is true, but I assure you that the situation is completely under control. Excuse me, please, and I'll tell the guards to be more gentle at the gate..."
...becomes...
Quote:
"You have guessed right, though I wonder that your wife thought the guards were robbers, wearing Eorling markings at the gates of Edoras! Be sure that we are doing all we can to see to the matter. Excsue me, please, and I'll have a word with the guards; we do not want them to be overzealous in their duty..."
There. That should do it.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:32 PM   #273
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Sorry for the double post.

I've finally gotten a chance to read Foley's latest post. She's left it open for any one of writers to take a turn. Firefoot? Celuien? me? Who wants to take dibs at the first response? My sense for Eodwine is that he has, well, been morosely preoccupied, and is likely to allow Haleth the first word. Thoughts?

I'll write a post regarding Eodwine going to visit the "ungentle" guards, after Alcarillo responds to my requested edits. Foley, would Deren be one of those guards, or is the wrong time of day?
Old 07-06-2006, 07:02 PM   #274
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Well, good, I was wondering if you had or hadn't read my post and if you were just procrastinating or something. In my personal opinion, Celuien's character is least likely to speak up. Eodwine, in normal circumstances, has the most responsibility to speak up, but these aren't normal circumstances and Haleth, if I understand correctly, is as high in rank at the time and authority as Eodwine - so, really, it could be either one of you who writes next - Firefoot or you, Elempi.

Deren would be at the gate, I think. I don't know what shifts there are or if they even take shifts during the day or what. And, what's more, he was the one who was supposedly ungentle, after all. Though, I sincerely hope Eodwine didn't really believe Osfrid and that he isn't too reproving with them. . .but that is left for your own good judgement. I'm looking forward to it, though. Please don't skip write over it and let me have a chance of getting a word in for Deren in reply.

Gotta go catch a dumb chicken.

-- Folwren
Old 07-06-2006, 10:20 PM   #275
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I was going to write something for Haleth earlier, but it never happened. I can write something tomorrow morning though.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:50 AM   #276
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hi all. Again....I wish I wasn't so painfully sporatic with my attendance around here. This week has been anything but easy on me.

In reading over the posts, I feel I need to find a way to explain Sorn's absense. I've come up with the idea of him heading off momentarily for some 'fresh air'. It will hopefully fill in some gaps.

I'll have him walk into the hallway by the cellar, and hear Scyld's voice. What he hears, I'll leave open, as I don't want to toy with anyone's plans :P

Please let me know about any changes I need.

Also, when am I to expect Sorn's interview? :P

EDIT: Is it well past nightfall now?

- Tara

Last edited by Taralphiel; 07-07-2006 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:06 AM   #277
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
In my personal opinion, Celuien's character is least likely to speak up.
That would be correct. He's not in charge. He may have a few thoughts on the matter, but won't voice it before his superiors.

I could post, but it would be all Garstan thinking to himself, so I was waiting for either Haleth or Eodwine to say something he could respond to first.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #278
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Okay, post up. Let me know if I handled Torim alright. Also, I had him describe Sorn and his minions - now might be a point where Eodwine, Thornden, or Garstan might recognize the description of Osfrid - where is Osfrid now, anyway? 'Cause if he's in the Mead Hall, there could be trouble... If not, you've just got everyone feeling like an idiot for letting him get in and out...
Old 07-07-2006, 09:56 AM   #279
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Well, it is my opinion that Osfrid had better be gone by then because if not, then someone should have noticed him hanging about before now. He told everyone on the first night that he was just passing through. If Eodwine, Thornden, Haleth, or Garstan didn't notice him, then Deren just might sometime if he sees him while he's reporting. 'Hey, you! I thought you were passing right through here to see your dying mother in law?'

And before we let Torim go, we might want to find out just where he saw Sorn and Lin and where Sorn lives, so they don't have to go to all the trouble of looking him up and finding them on their own.

-- Folwren
Old 07-07-2006, 11:34 AM   #280
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Lin's rather decisively innocent. She's intelligent, and perceptive, but to a large degree she interpretes what she sees around her to fit a personal vision of the world as it ought to be. For that reason, her perspective emphasizes the slightly unhinged nature of Sorn's obsession. While she doesn't underestimate his intelligence and craftiness, she chooses (albeit unconsciously) to see him primarily as a maniac. While I think Sorn's a little off, I don't think he's as crazy as Lin does, and in this case, her innocence isn't working for her. It increases her fear of him, and prevents her from trying to think like him and thus predict his actions.

With Scyld, on the other hand, she chooses to interprete his rather safe and minimal help to her as a sign of a man essentially good, perhaps even an idealist, and believes he follows Sorn as a result of extreme bad luck and disillusionment. She interpretes his bitterness as a chronic disappointment in the real world, and firmly believes that she can reverse it, and encourage him to truly cast his lot in with hers. I don't know if this is a true way of seeing him, but so far it does seem to be working for her. It seems to unsettle Scyld, at the least.

Just some thoughts I decided to share. Hopefully that will help you, Tara and Firefoot, in your characters' interactions with her.

Meanwhile I'll keep trying to establish rapport between Lin and her gaolers without creating a rather well-written case of Stockholm's Syndrome. Please warn me if I seem to be drifting in that direction. That's not the sort of relationship I mean to imply.