The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2004, 11:37 AM   #1
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Gandalf's beams of light

In the book The Return of the King, Gandalf uses some kind of piercing light that shoots up from his hands.

He uses such light against 3 objectives: the Nazgul, the Witch King and
the Mouth of Sauron. These 3 beings are afraid and, probably, hurt by
such light.

But what kind of light is this one? What effect does it have on the enemie's servants? Because the Nazgul flee from it... and when the Rohirrim arrived, something similar to a thunderbolt arose from Minas Tirith, when the Witch King was defeated by Gandalf. And the Mouth of
Sauron screamed and fled when Gandalf shot it to rescue Frodo's things from his hands.

Is it produced by Gandalf's maiarin nature? Or by Narya? A combination of them? Does it reveal their insides to themselves?

Was it holy? If it was, then maybe such holiness was the one thing that affected the nasties... the spells that knit "their unseen sinews" will..
Old 01-25-2004, 11:43 AM   #2
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Not Narya, since that wasn't the power the Rings held. It was Gandalf on his own.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:04 PM   #3
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

It was Gandalf's power as one of the mightiest of the Maiar. It was also an extension of his will, showing that the strength of his will could overpower that of Sauron's servants, though not necessarily Sauron himself. Those age-old conflicts of light vs. dark showed that no matter how much Sauron tried to lay his traps in darkness and deceit, Gandalf's light would lay them bare.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 02:08 PM   #4
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

In answer to the question about why they shied away, Aragorn speaks of how the Nazgul do not like light, Fire not the least. Legolas, again I contend your answer...on what grounds do you say that Narya's powers were not for light? I believe it gave him the powers to do smoke ring tricks, and to light up the branch to scare off the wargs on Caradhras, and to battle the besieging Nazgul on Amon Sul. Aragorn saw something like many flashes of night in the distance.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:57 PM January 25, 2004: Message edited by: Knight of Gondor ]
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 02:22 PM   #5
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

I don't think it was Narya either... I am pretty sure that it doesn't have the power to make things light up.
Quote:
"...but I deem in days ere long to come it should be in nobler hands than mine, that may wield it for the kindling of all hearts to courage."
I thought that this was the only power of Narya. Feel free to prove me wrong though. The white light is one way that Gandalf shows his power to the Nazgul and the Mouth of Sauron.

Also, Knight of Gondor, might I ask why you copied some of what you wrote in the movies topic "Legolas and the Table" at the end of your post?
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 10:06 PM   #6
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Ring

Since Nenya was used to protect the entire realm of Lorien (similar to the girdle of Melian) and Vilya was used to protect Rivendell, and to control the river, it makes sense that Narya would have more power than to kindle the hearts of Men.

Quote:
Also, Knight of Gondor, might I ask why you copied some of what you wrote in the movies topic "Legolas and the Table" at the end of your post?
Sorry, Firefoot! I have no idea how that happened! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 03:45 PM   #7
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Narya was given to Gandalf by Cirdan to free the hearts of Middle Earth. But if the other two elvish rings had power to protect their relevant realms, maybe Narya could protect the Grey Havens.

I belive I read somewhere that the light came from within Gandalf.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:15 PM   #8
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

More importantly, one has to note that the Elven Rings did not have the power to destroy, only to create and preserve, and that fire, that Flame of Anor Gandalf wielded, Narya, could only be used in a defensive way to help preserve/defend. Plus, the light of fire is a red oppressive light, as opposed to the clear white shaft of light he blasted at the Nazgul; Tolkien never fell short on the imagery for a reason, to set the mood. If it was fire at work, we'd have seen a fireball.

As for use in helping with fireworks, blowing smoke rings, and lighting torches, why make an Elvish Ring of Fire, when fire's very nature is to destroy things. I think it was made for lesser burning, besides mirroring Gandalf's warmth and kindness, and his hot temper, it helped him heal cold hearts like Theoden's, and I don't doubt it helped his pyrotechnics; on Caradhras Gandalf had to chant words to light the wood in the snowstorm; at the Pelennor he said no such incantations. I would not be surprised if the magic of the rings had to be awakened by incantation; even the One Ring had for it's power to be awakened to have a Ringspell.

It also seems to me that the white light was meant to be associated not just with Gandalf "the White" but with the Phial of Galadriel in some way.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:45 PM   #9
Angry Hill Troll
Wight

Angry Hill Troll has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The meaning of Gandalf's statement to the Balrog
Quote:
I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor.
is discussed
here. I personally don't think that either the light that Gandalf emits or the "flame of Anor" to which he refers is directly related to Narya. I think it is rather a manifestation of his Maia nature, and perhaps some of the light of the Trees. Anor (the Sun) is after all the last fruit of the Golden Tree. In this event, the light which Gandalf gives off in these instances would indeed be related to the light in the Phial of Galadriel, since that light was from the Silmaril borne by Eärendil, which preserved the light of the Trees.

Recall that Tolkien says that the Noldor won the Second Battle against Morgoth in part because "the light of Aman had not yet dimmed in their faces". It seems possible that Gandalf, as a Maia, might be able to preserve the Light indefinitely, to use when needed.
Angry Hill Troll is offline   Reply With Quote