The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #361
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
That also meant we never get to take a picture of all of us six together which is a pity (I kind of guessed that when we talked on Saturday evening that we could take them on Sunday morning...).
Yes, it was a pity... But I claim that a sound recording is more valuable than a picture!

Brinn was no exeption to the Downer's I've met. Like the rest of them she's a wonderful person! At first I had problems understanding her American accent (I don't think I've actually met an American person before...), but got used to it over the weekend and didn't have any problems close to the end. We had interesting discussions and generally had great fun (like you haven't noticed by now). Now that I think of it, I'd have really wanted to get to know Brinn better. Hope to see you in the future!

While you're waiting for photos (there will be loads of those if I may decide), have a look at this. That's an example of what we did - in a museum of contemporary art.

edit: What happened in Barrow A 24? :O (note: the victim doesn't really look like that)

Last edited by Volo; 04-15-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Volo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #362
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The moment you've all been waiting for...

You know you want to see it...

Five of us at the train station (I'm still sad we got no pics with Nogrod):

Revisting Theodred....Aganzir teases him:

Poor Theodred...

More photos coming...
Old 04-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #363
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
More...

My new boyfriend:

I convinced Lommy that sticking her head in a cannon would be a good idea...

Volo dies in the barrow:

Old 04-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #364
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Aganzir the dwarf:

Crawling out of the barrow:

The monsters are revealed!

Old 04-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #365
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Last photos...

On the Barrow Downs:

And a cute photo of the girls:

There's so many more photos I'd love to add, but I won't flood this thread too much..
Old 04-18-2008, 06:25 AM   #366
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

That's really nice.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #367
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Oh, and I thought I should mention...

From April 29 to May 7 I will be in London alone with no set plans (yet). If there are any Downers that live in or near London who are interested in meeting, feel free to PM me. I'm afraid I won't be online very frequently in the upcoming days, but I'll try to check my messages at least once a day.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:41 AM   #368
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Guinevere and I will be meeting at the German Tolkien Seminar in Jena this weekend. Should any Downers chance to be nearby, do drop in! The lectures on The Hobbit will be very interesting, and there's no charge for the seminar itself. Just find a cheap place to stay; food need not be expensive in a university city.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:22 AM   #369
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
The seminar in Jena was wonderful, and before it even started, Guinevere and I met while crossing the street! (A similar incident occurred at our last meeting in London - we met a couple of blocks away from our designated meeting place, on the street while walking there.) It was a pleasure to see her again and to meet a member of her family who was with her. What's more, she brought me some lovely fabrics, antique laces and embroideries for my patchwork collection - a special treat! We had lunch together before the event began, which was a good thing; after that, the program and lots of nice people there kept us very busy.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:05 AM   #370
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

I just got back to London last night after a weekend in Oxford. I stayed there for three nights in tgwbs's dorm, and even though he was pretty busy for part of the time, we still had lots of fun doing a various amount of things. It was a great experience being toured around the city by a student, plus I got a peek into what Oxford student life is really like (quite insane, really ). I also met Anguirel and Amanaduial the Archer who are also Oxford students. It was great talking to them, though sadly our meetings were briefer than I would've like (though I can't blame them with their busy schedules).

I also visited Tolkien and told him how awesome he really is...though unfortunately I didn't get much reply as one usually doesn't when talking to a tombstone...
Old 05-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #371
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

On Friday, I met Laitoste in London and we hung out for the day venturing to the Science Museum to play with cool science stuff. But the main event took place in the evening when we headed to Covent Garden to see the Lord of the Rings Musical. I had a wonderful time and seeing the play with a fellow BDer really enhanced the experience.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:56 AM   #372
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
So what's your tally now, Brinniel? Have you beaten Esty yet?
Old 05-05-2008, 03:17 AM   #373
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

I've met eleven Downers so far, though after tomorrow that number will reach twelve. So no I haven't beat Esty yet...I don't know how many she's met (at least 16?), but I think it may take awhile to accomplish such a feat...
Old 05-07-2008, 05:59 AM   #374
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Well, I believe I was Brinn's number 12 as we met yesterday in London. It was such great fun. We started by getting lost and going the wrong way round Regent's Park which was my fault and is a good way to start the day, learning to work together. But we eventually found London Zoo and spent about 5 hours in it! Such a fun time and we found the otters at the end who more than made up for the entry fee. We stood watching them for about 40 minutes I think because they were playing and looking out for their food which finally came. I think Brinn has about 30 pictures of them!

After we eventually dragged ourselves away (helped by the keepers who were trying to shut the zoo!) we went to Hamley's toy store where we played with pretty much everything, Brinn proved herself a far better racing gamer than me, and we found the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter and everything else sci-fi on the fourth floor. There was some amazing stuff but it's all so expensive! Again we stayed until kicking out time because we were so taken with all the things.

We then went off to have dinner at this little place Brinn knows that does the most amazing desserts. Never mind about the actual meals, go for pudding! They did these amazing ice creams. Like, they had spaghetti made out of ice cream, and huge knickerbocker glory's. Ah, I was impressed! I was also impressed with the speed at which Brinn can eat ice cream. She'd finished when I'd only just got through the cream on the top!

Once we both felt our stomachs had been suitably coated with ice cream we wandered for a little while to find a bar and then ended up going to one Brinn had been to with Laitoste. Was a lovely little place with an even lovelier barman who kept giving us free drinks! We'd intended just to get a drink each and a shot as Brinn was introducing me to tequila, and we ended up with three extra shots completely free.

So, a slightly tipsy trip back to Victoria ensued! We spent a happy half hour waiting for my train and having a good old chat and then I disappeared onto the train and Brinn hopefully made her way home. I say hopefully as I haven't heard from her since! But then she is busy.

Overall then a very enjoyable day! As for Brinn, she was absolutely lovely. Nog may have thought her shy but then perhaps he is overly exuberant. My own shy nature meant I found her fantastic company and we got on really well which was good! Would love to meet her again someday, maybe when I've earned enough to get all the way to Idaho!
Old 05-07-2008, 07:32 AM   #375
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Sounds really nice!

(And by the way, having met them myself, I can but agree with you about the otters of London zoo. They are lovely. )
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #376
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

I think Kath summed up our day's adventures pretty well. It was all quite fun and we were lucky it was such a beautiful day. I found Kath extremely easy to talk to...it's a shame we only hung out for one day as I really did enjoy her company. The three free shots were a bonus that evening (making up for the high prices of the ones we actually paid for)...I actually think it was because of those drinks that Kath went home an hour later than planned! It also meant I was rather tipsy and drowsy by the time we parted ways and I...stumbled back to the tube station.

Anyways, I realise aside from my meeting in Finland I have yet to post any pictures of my meetings up. I will eventually do so...promise.

My meeting with Kath was my last Downer meeting...at least for now. I've returned home from my European adventures, which is quite sad really as there's not much to do in Idaho (though I do need a job..). I had a great time with everyone I met and I hope to see them all again someday. There were also opportunities to meet Downers that I sadly missed...if only I had more time (and money). Hopefully I'll get another chance the day I return to Europe. For now, perhaps I should find a chance to actually meet Downers in the US...which can be difficult since I'm not traveling for awhile. But if anyone visits Boston from September and after... or to Idaho this summer (ha, what are the chances in that), be sure to look me up.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #377
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I found Kath extremely easy to talk to...it's a shame we only hung out for one day as I really did enjoy her company.
Same! I thought it would be a bit awkward to start with but we did seem to get on incredibly well!

Quote:
The three free shots were a bonus that evening (making up for the high prices of the ones we actually paid for)...I actually think it was because of those drinks that Kath went home an hour later than planned!
They were indeed, and I would likely have gone clubbing with you and headed home the next day had I not had an interview to go to I was having such fun. Oh, and I must place the blame entirely at your door for my being very taken with tequila now. I am steadily introducing others to it, so any drunken behaviour on our part is entirely your fault.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:00 PM   #378
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
I'm pretty sure I speak for the vast majority of Downers in saying I'm "green with envy" (which is funny since... Downers are supposedly always green). To add a peculiar irony to my own situation, if I were to make a concerted effort with the resources of time and money available to me this summer, guess who's there on the short list of 'Downers within plausible reach? Yup, Brinniel.

How about it, Brinn? Care to make me lucky #13* in your quest to pass Esty?

*Offtopic, and random, but which dwarf was the unlucky #13 in Thorin's company? I've always thought Bombur, but maybe I'm prejudiced by his character. Hmm... maybe a good topic for Mirth.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:42 PM   #379
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
For now, perhaps I should find a chance to actually meet Downers in the US...which can be difficult since I'm not traveling for awhile. But if anyone visits Boston from September and after... or to Idaho this summer (ha, what are the chances in that), be sure to look me up.

Where in Idaho?
Old 05-14-2008, 06:07 AM   #380
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
I'm pretty sure I speak for the vast majority of Downers in saying I'm "green with envy" (which is funny since... Downers are supposedly always green).
Some are just a little green.

(really couldn't resist )
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #381
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formy
Go on then. After all, it's only a 16 and 1/2 hour drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathy
Where in Idaho?
I live in Boise. Hmm...actually I am traveling to Oregon this summer for a wedding...but it's to Ashland, which I think may be kind of out of your way...
Old 05-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #382
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Small freakin' world. A fling of my boyfriend's told him that she'd seen me here. Turns out it was MadBaggins! Have yet to meet her though.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:24 PM   #383
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
I live in Boise. Hmm...actually I am traveling to Oregon this summer for a wedding...but it's to Ashland, which I think may be kind of out of your way...

Oh cool. Boise's nice. Or at least I thought so when I was there last. And yeah, Ashland is a long way from where I live.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:37 AM   #384
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainaserkewen View Post
Small freakin' world. A fling of my boyfriend's told him that she'd seen me here. Turns out it was MadBaggins! Have yet to meet her though.
Does fling mean something different in your part of the world or are you just very understanding?!!!

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #385
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
Does fling mean something different in your part of the world or are you just very understanding?!!!
This is what I thought when I first read it!
Old 05-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #386
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
As someone native to the aforesaid "part of the world", I'll answer as I think it is meant between your context and hers:

For Ainaserkewen, a "fling of one's boyfriend" would be a short relationship had with another woman at a time other than that during which he was her boyfriend. Contextually, I would say before he was her boyfriend.

The English interpretation of the statement is that WHILE he was her boyfriend, he was off having a fling with another woman.

Have I got that right, or am I barking up the wrong tree, and everyone really means by fling "the action of throwing or the object thrown," in which case it might be appropriate for me to make a joke to the effect of "nobody flings a Dwarf!"
Old 05-19-2008, 01:22 PM   #387
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Just one of those things, just one of those crazy flings...

Ah I see.. thanks Formy ..that is our interpretation though I think it would be more usual to refer to the relationship rather than the person as a fling ie it was just a fling rather than s/he was just a fling ..unless you were being extremely dismissive...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:07 AM   #388
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
I'm pretty sure I speak for the vast majority of Downers in saying I'm "green with envy" (which is funny since... Downers are supposedly always green). To add a peculiar irony to my own situation, if I were to make a concerted effort with the resources of time and money available to me this summer, guess who's there on the short list of 'Downers within plausible reach? Yup, Brinniel.

Funny how things work out. When a simple comment becomes something real...

Last weekend Formendacil took that 16.5 hour drive and came to visit me all the way from Edmonton. Even better, he arrived just in time for my birthday so I got to celebrate with a fellow Downer. If Formy wants to share a link to his blog, he make a pretty good summary of the events that occurred over the weekend (which included miniature golf, laser tag, visiting the zoo, watching Prince Caspian, and going to a play).

I admit I was a little more nervous about meeting Formendacil mainly because I didn't know him quite as well as some other Downers and suddenly here I was taking him into my home and letting him meet my parents. But no need to worry- like all other BDer meetings, this one went exceptionally well. Formendacil is a very polite young man and laid back. I could tell he was nervous at first, but that didn't last long. We got along well and had no problem having conversations on just about anything. My mom commented that she thinks Formendacil will make an excellent priest and I 100% agree. Also...for my birthday, he gave me this nice metal sign personalised with my screenname and a fairy. It was so wonderful and thoughtful, I can't help but thank him again for such a great gift. And I'm happy to hear that our meeting has revived his thirst for the BD.

I'm sure you all want to see a picture. (Note: I thought it'd be funny if I put on the ever-so-famous hat. Gotta keep up with tradition. )
Old 07-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #389
Formendacil
Dead Serious

I was most definitely nervous by the time I reached Brinniel's place, and I blame the long car ride, since I wasn't nervous beforehand, but rather excited instead. However, there's something about being alone in a car, in a foreign country, going somewhere I've never been, for more than half an hour or so, that seems to draw out my paranoid side... by the time I reached Brinniel after a long (but otherwise enjoyable, aside from the paranoia) drive, I was practically shaking. Of course, I also hadn't eaten much...

It was indeed an awesome weekend. Brinniel is quite the concerned hostess, and made certain that at no point would I have been justified in saying I was bored. She was unable, unfortunately, to schedule in weather other than scorching hot, but that ended up not being too much of a problem.

It is decidedly strange to be talking with one's mouth rather than one's fingers about things like Werewolf and RPGs, especially when my normal response from people is one of edging away awkwardly.

Of course, now I want to meet as many 'Downers as possible, but finances and time (to say nothing of my location, which is certainly remote enough--though not that bad if one had the aforesaid time and money) make it rather unlikely this year... though I'm percolating with ideas for next summer.

All in all, a highlight of the summer. Reading this thread in the past, there's always been a palpable sense of how fun it is to hang out with like-minded, kindred spirits, and also of how genuinely nice 'Downers seem to be in person. Meeting Brinniel certainly proved both these impressions true.

Oh, and my blog isn't too hard to find... one just needs to swipe their cursor over my signature.

Last edited by Formendacil; 07-25-2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Prepositional Clause addition clarification
Formendacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:44 PM   #390
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I want to meet someone from the Barrow-Downs, I have started compiling a list of who I would like to meet... another thing that I want to do that will probably never happen... Anyway, the only Downer I've ever met is Laurinque... But that is because she is my best friend. Of course the only reason she is a Barrow-Downer is because I told her to do it... and I succeeded!
Old 08-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #391
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Just a few soundbites

As teasers I will send you three short clips of our 7-Downers meeting in Finland. I'm sure there will be some pics & such pouring in soon...

It all started well and people were so cute as you can hear.

But then it started getting ugly and the fights started brewing, like this one between Greenie and Legate.

But in the end it all went out of control as one might have guessed... I mean all those werewolf-players in a same small hut in the middle of forest for that long time. Well this sure was inevitable - although I'm not so sure as to what happened in the end. It sounds like they became like even more terrible monsters from the times before time and creation...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #392
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Is it me ... or does anyone else think that if you ever did plan to go to Finland and meet these nutters you'd have to lose your inhibitions pretty fast?!
Old 08-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #393
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
I think there's a bio major in my school who's a very rabid fan of BD. *off to cyberstalk*

Honestly though, I don't expect to meet too many here in this country that does not even know too much about British lit except Harry Potter.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #394
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
As teasers I will send you three short clips of our 7-Downers meeting in Finland. I'm sure there will be some pics & such pouring in soon...

It all started well and people were so cute as you can hear.

But then it started getting ugly and the fights started brewing, like this one between Greenie and Legate.

But in the end it all went out of control as one might have guessed... I mean all those werewolf-players in a same small hut in the middle of forest for that long time. Well this sure was inevitable - although I'm not so sure as to what happened in the end. It sounds like they became like even more terrible monsters from the times before time and creation...

Blast...the TARDIS doesn't seem to be translating for me today. I can't understand a word of this - especially that last clip. There were words in that cry.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:05 AM   #395
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Ha, that last clip especially made me crack up. It sounds like it started off as wolves and gradually turned into monkeys and apes. Then at the very end, I think a tiger might've eaten a wolf...or maybe it was a hyena. Apparently whenever Downers are placed into the Finnish woods, they turn primitive...

But really, listening to those clips made me miss all seven of you a million times more. I have to go back, and I'm looking to see if there's any possibility that I can within the next year...

Btw, I'm hoping to see tons of pictures soon, either here or on Facebook.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:58 AM   #396
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
A very short summary

So, as some of you might know, Rune and Legate just spent about a week in Finland.

Lommy and I came back to Helsinki a day after Legate arrived. The first night we spent at Nog's, then we went to Volo's house since his family was away. We had to wake up terribly early, but everybody wanted to come to fetch Rune (who arrived on Monday) from the airport anyway. In the end there were seven of us in one car, and it was neither quite comfortable nor legal.

Most of the time we (Nog, Lommy, Greenie, Volo, Rune, Legate, me and a friend of ours, Annina) were at Nog's family's summer cottage in the middle of nowhere: we played an RPG in which the characters got minor calf wounds and fell off trees and broke their bones all the time, fought with staffs and other interesting weapons (in one of the clips Nog posted, Greenie and Legate were just fighting and accidentally broke a glass), played cards, pushed Lommy's nose, played live werewolf, misheard things &c. It was great fun.

We returned to Helsinki on Saturday, pretty tired - I don't think we ever went to sleep before five o'clock in the morning. On Sunday we met also dancing spawn and had therefore a meeting of eight downers. Rune and Legate left on Monday.

Rune almost broke my nail, but otherwise he was very nice. Also, his sense of humour was great, but that was what I expected anyway.

Legate was smaller (and stronger) than I had thought him to be, and he provided us with a lot of amusement by pronouncing Finnish words.

Also spawn was sweet - it's a pity that she hasn't been more active lately.

Anyway, it's less than 24 hours since they left, and I miss them already (and you too, Brinn).

And we have a plenty of pictures - I'm sure they will be posted somewhere soon.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:30 AM   #397
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thankfully Agan already made a summary of what we did so I'm spared of that bother. All in all we had a very good time. I suppose I have to praise the two of them a little now.

Legate is very friendly and kind. He always seemed to be on a good mood, enthusiastic about practically everything we did, and smiling a lot to everybody. He is also very open and easy to talk to and didn't seem almost at all shy or awkward even in the beginning.

Rune, as Agan already mentioned, has a fantastic sense of humour. He had a habit of making fun of everyone (though never in a mean way), but he is actually very affectionate and caring. He was also a very good pillow.

What else could I say? They are both true gentlemen (at least at times ), always ready to offer their help in anything that needed to be done, and looking awkward whenever I held a door open for them. Also, both of them are very learned and clever and both also have really funny facial expressions. Overall, they both are really sweet and good people and I'm very glad I had a chance to get to know them.

I met Spawn only briefly (which was indeed a pity), but she seems like a very lovely person and I'd like to meet her again some day.

I'll flood this thread with a couple of scary pictures once I get those on the computer. Beware.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."

Last edited by A Little Green; 08-12-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:05 AM   #398
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Here they come...

Six 'Downers on a cannon!

Lommy and Legate being cute.

It's getting better: six 'Downers (and one non-Downer) in a rowing boat!

More coming up...

Last edited by A Little Green; 08-12-2008 at 09:15 AM. Reason: bolding
Old 08-12-2008, 09:11 AM   #399
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Beware, there is more!

The guys waking up at around two in the afternoon.

Me, Rune, Volo and Legate doing the dishes.

Rune and Legate. (Sweet!)

Last edited by A Little Green; 08-12-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #400
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Finally, all seven of us after too many sleepless nights.