The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
mhagain
Wight

mhagain has just left Hobbiton.
Kalevala Day!

February 28th is Kalavala Day

Let's all marry our sisters, slay dragons and commit suicide!

On a more serious note, I never knew (but should have expected) that such a day existed, and it seems - as a primary inspiration and one of the original sources that kicked-off this whole Middle-earth thing anyway - that it's appropriate to have it mentioned here.

"Seek for me on Amon Rudh!"
Old 03-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I thought this would be a good occasion to actually go and read a bit more about what happens in the Kalevala, but all I can find on the web is the epic poem or the summary of such, which doesn't include a Turin story. It's a nice epos, but I really want to read the original Turin story. Does anyone know where it comes in or where to find it?

For lack of the Kalevala, I commemorated the day with exerpts of COH.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I thought this would be a good occasion to actually go and read a bit more about what happens in the Kalevala, but all I can find on the web is the epic poem or the summary of such, which doesn't include a Turin story. It's a nice epos, but I really want to read the original Turin story. Does anyone know where it comes in or where to find it?

For lack of the Kalevala, I commemorated the day with exerpts of COH.
Unless I'm wrong, isn't the Turin inspiration in the Kalevala only the Kullervo cycle? Which is 31-36 in the overall thing. There's the wiki summary of that section. I'm not sure where a good translation of it would be.

Last edited by LadyBrooke; 03-01-2014 at 04:30 PM.
LadyBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #4
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBrooke View Post
Unless I'm wrong, isn't the Turin inspiration in the Kalevala only the Kullervo cycle? Which is 31-36 in the overall thing. There's the wiki summary of that section. I'm not sure where a good translation of it would be.
Ah, thank you very much.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBrooke View Post
There's a much greater inspiration than just the Turin story. Tom Bombadil, as he appeared in the original poem, is very much indebted to the Kalevala's shamanistic hero, Väinämöinen and the Aino story . There's also the possibility of a link with the simarils. But even more so is the concept of a national mythology. Stylistically there's some relationship as well.

Read the edition with the illustrations by Akseli Gallen-Kallela, which are stunning. I don't know if Tolkien knew them, but it's a glorious riot of picture and verse. The edition which first inspired Tolkien to try his hand at Finnish did not have all the illustrations.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:51 AM   #6
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
There's a much greater inspiration than just the Turin story. Tom Bombadil, as he appeared in the original poem, is very much indebted to the Kalevala's shamanistic hero, Väinämöinen and the Aino story . There's also the possibility of a link with the simarils. But even more so is the concept of a national mythology. Stylistically there's some relationship as well.
True, but I was commenting specifically to answer the question about where Turin's inspiration in it comes from. Though strangely, that's also the part of it that I'm least interested in, being very disinterested in Turin himself...

Maybe one day I'll be able to get a print copy of the Kalevala - right now, I just have a free internet copy. Which is not very interesting to look at. :P
Old 07-24-2015, 04:19 PM   #7
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting Related book coming out

I thought I'd post this, to remind people interested in this thread of another one, dealing with the forthcoming release of Tolkien's The Story of Kullervo:

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=18920
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote