The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2006, 11:23 AM   #1
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Great Golden Hoard Game Thread

Rules and Regulations
Mods-Valier, Roa_aoife, Rune son of Bjarne

All players must complete their Day scenarios in 36 hours!! that includes picking their direction and moving into the scenario, asking and receiving answers about the scenario and posting all that is required. IF YOU DO NOT COMPLETE ALL THIS IN 36 HOURS YOU DO NOT MOVE FORWARD.

We expect this game to take a little over two weeks to complete. Please be prepared to commit for that time frame. Also, as this game will have a lot of behind the scenes communication, remember to KEEP YOUR PM BOX CLEAR.

The game will begin when we have enough players and us Mods are finished our prep work.

Day =36 hours

#1 Mod or co-Mod will post the days stats, tallies, and players current location. A map will be provided each day. Each player will be assigned a different colour.

#2 Players are given 3 short descriptions of each direction, left, right or straight all via pm.
(NOTE: All players when they choose their direction will always be facing West.)

#3 Players then choose their direction, then they will receive their preset scenario. Players ask 3 questions concerning their scenario, all this is done by pm. Players choose your words wisely!!

#4 Players will then post on the thread. They MUST state which direction they picked, what they encountered and how they dealt with it. (All this is done in RP style IE: Third person. Don't just state stuff, do it with style.) Players may leave "hints" in their post pertaining to the answers they received for their questions about the scenario. they may choose to help others or not.

Night =12 hours

#1 All players must vote for the Best scenario of the day via pm. (you may not vote for yourself!)
The player with the most votes will be notified and the following Day will get to advance two locations in the direction of their choosing.

#2 Night is a time for the players to rest and socialize with others near them. Players MUST post where they are sleeping. That is all that is required from players at night besides voting. HOWEVER players may pass the time with character development and chat with others near you. Players will be told every night who they are near, so no long distance talking. All this must be in RP style. No banter about the game. You may share as much or as little about your choices and questions as you wish.

If players hit a dead end along the way, they are forced to turn around and go back the way they came. They will stay at the location they started from that day. They will stay there and do nothing all day until the night, then they continue. There are other surprise spots as well that may advance you or set you back.

Regarding RP ishing
Note: THIS IS NOT AN RPG, IT IS A GAME THAT INCLUDES ROLEPLAYING POSTS.

All players must include their user name into their chosen name. EX: Valier = Valencia This will help to keep things organized so we don't have to keep track of 2 names per player.

Nothing is allowed in your posts that you do not already have, or asked about. You must use these guidelines when you create your posts.EX: You are attacked by Orcs near the river Isen. You may not magically make the river swell up and over take the Orcs. EVERYTHING MUST BE PLAUSABLE!!!! IT MUST REALLY WORK! Be creative, just don't go loonie.

Players or Mods may dispute any scenario post that we think is too unrealistic or not plausible. They are to pm a Mod with the problem. The offending player will be notified. They will be given a chance to explain themselves further. If the challenging Mod or player is satisfied they continue, if not the player stays at the place they originated at the whole day and does nothing, they continue with their night phase then continue the next morning.

Just remember during the day you want your posts to be like a quick little story. You need not post pages....just get to the point, keep it simple and be creative.

All players first post of the game MUST include a character bio worked into their story containing; Name, race, location (where from?) and a short visual description and the choices of items brought (following list) Also all players will have to incorporate more of the storyline into their posts about how they came to be on this journey. (More info to come....It's a secret...)

List of items allowed

1 Length of rope
food and water rations
2 sets of clothing (your choice)
2 weapons (your choice)
1 novelty item (must not be on the above list and must be carriable)
Players must describe all the "your choice" items in their first game post as well.

Edit when necessary, but keep it reasonable.

No signatures please.

Please do not post on this thread until the game starts!! Sign up and all questions will be answered on the previous misspelled thread.

Last edited by Valier; 07-26-2006 at 12:07 AM.
Valier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:20 PM   #2
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Game Map

Here's the map, with the start and finish marked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FreeMapmod.jpg (90.6 KB, 700 views)

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

My name is Berrick, the year is 1299. I am writing this now so I may record what has taken place and what is yet to take place.

It all began with the Hoard. Dragon Hoard, that is. I came across this vast treasure on one of my many adventures. I was meandering through the Hills of Evendim, enjoying my freedom, when my old eyes spotted a small opening behind a large fallen boulder. I lit my torch and headed inside towards the darkness. I walked deeper and deeper still, till I thought my heart would quell. There before me loomed the largest golden pile I had ever seen and mind you, I have traveled so much and done so many things that I myself have an abundance of my own treasure. This pile had been abandoned, not, I assume, by the Dragons own wishes. Why here of all places? I doubt I will ever know.

As I stood there in that dank, dark cave with my torch raised high, I began to think of the many things I could do with this bounty, but as I raised the torch higher, my back gave a shudder and my old muscles racked with pain. The dreams vanished. I am an old man, I thought, my life is almost at its end. Why would I need this treasure? I had no kin, no family, and no heir to take my place. I had barely five persons with whom I had any sort of repertoire, and they all worked for me in one way or another. I had no one.

Those words echoed through my head as I slumped to the cold ground. I have no one, I have wasted my life. All the fortune and travel means nothing if you have no one to share it with. As I lay on the ground, the pain began to ebb away; I would make it still. The thought then occurred to me, why keep this gold? Why not give it away? But to whom? I would of course make sure the people I had hired would be well cared for before I died, but did they deserve all this treasure? Who really did?

I laid there for what seemed like an eternity before I had made up my mind. I would leave my legacy. I would enlist a group of adventurers and lead them to the gold. The first one to reach the Hoard shall have it, but also they shall hear my last words.

I raised myself slowly, the damp sticking to my pants. I knew what needed to be done. I would need help....My old mind reeled as I reached the cave mouth. I mustered up the strength and covered the hole as best as I could. I will return shortly, and with a plan.

My name is Berrick. The year is now 1300. Evil has begun to stir in middle Earth, but my plans are all set and being carried out. Mind you, it has taken long enough and has cost me most of my own fortune, but the reward for my deeds will be greater. I have enlisted these adventurers in a clever way, if I do say so myself. I, having owned a vineyard, have decided the best way to ship these "invitations" would be to hand write my wishes on the underside of several labels. The invitations read as follows:

If you are a great adventurer in your heart, leave all that you have and come. Come to Dorwinion on the banks of the Sea of Rhun. You will there embark on your life's greatest adventure, with a prize to be won. Come alone and bring with you only these things.

2 sets of clothing
2 weapons of your choice
1 length of rope
Food and water rations

Good Luck

I then hand packed these bottles of wine and sent them with carriers in all directions. Then the work of preparing the course began. I hired many and the work was done quickly. I am tired now. I have little time left. I now start on one of my last adventures....to meet my heir and my destiny.

ALL PLAYERS MAY NOW POST THEIR FIRST POSTS, FOLLOWING THIS POST....
Old 08-07-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Éomeléo stalked through the woods with a huge grin on his face. Sure, he wasn't quite clean, and his clothes had been torn by the unlikely number of thickets he had had to negotiate, but he was happy nonetheless. Who would have thought that he would be summoned by the seductive voice of adventure? Certainly not Éomeléo himself. He had anticipated nothing but problems for this week. How fortunate indeed! Most of the people he associated with would be horrified by the prospect of sleeping in fields. Adventuring: what a simple way to escape. Why had he never hit upon this idea before? Why had it taken that wine bottle to set him free?

Anyway, the opportunity to strike two birds with one stone had presented itself, and here was one Gondorian nobleman who jumped at the chance to grab his majestic blue cloak and flee. The trip so far had been wholly uneventful; but Éomeléo had been convincing himself that he was 'roughing it' out in the wild. It never hurts to get a bit of self-esteem into your system, especially when you lack hardiness to the extent that this fellow does. He is rather tall and proud to look at, delighted by his, almost royal, attire — waistcoat, ruffled shirt, and a splendid feathered hat (all royal blue); but he has clearly been protected his whole life, "wrapped up in cotton" they say, so of course he had no idea just how incredulous his family were when they read the message notifying of his journey.

In his bag he carried some rope, some food and water, and a bundle of clothes (another shirt, a jacket and spare cloak — again, all royal blue). His sword was hanging by his side and his crossbow was at his back. Attached to a chain around his neck was a golden ocarina, whose music could enchant even the most stubborn soul. Plus, he had made sure to have a haircut before he left so he was still looking quite prim.

Yes, this was the life. Éomeléo reached the end of the woods and there he saw it! The lush green banks of the Sea of Rhûn. Not at all like what they said it was in Gondor. "Let it begin!" he yelled, and the birds flew away in surprise and annoyance.

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 08-08-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Eomer of the Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:06 PM   #5
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
Valesseka pushed her mousey-brown hair out of her eyes and looked out across the Sea of Rhûn with a grin, only to have her bangs whip back into her face again. Despite this, Valesseka considered herself to be a fairly lucky human being. She'd always had all she really needed, food, water, shelter... (not that she wasn't working to supply these things, you'd have to being of the peasent class)... and now she had found her ticket to adventure. In all honesty the idea had never occured to her before, but once she had a traveller read the bottle label aloud the thought of travelling herself was not soon to vanish.

Shifting her pack; Valesseka went over it's contents in her head to keep from squeaking at the large amount of water before her. There was food, water, wool and leather clothing... any other kind of fabrics besides maybe burlap would be a mystery to her. Then there was also rope, a throwing axe, and a cap to the stave she was currently using as a walking stick. But most important out of all of her packed items was Valesseka's brooch, glittering grandly out of place on her dull and worn attire.

At the water, Valesseka rubbed her hands together anxiously before catching sight of herself in the water. She was muscularly built, and just slightly over average in height... not entirely trim, but -possibly because she had to walk from eastern Arnor- not overweight, either. Even so, she was fairly vain about her face, and made sure that it was as nicely cared for as she could manage.

Hearing a shout, Valesseka jumped and stared at a very finely dressed man, curious, but frightened, she wondered if this was the mysterious Berrick. (Though, indeed, it is Éomeléo.)

Last edited by Valesse; 08-07-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Valesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:28 PM   #6
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Galadster looked around at the Easterling Marketplace, all fine men no doubt, but all confused about what is really going on in this world. Galadster looks down to the paper in his hands, is this really what he wants to do, go on this crazy adventure where he is proably going to lose one of his limbs? This is indeed a calling for a Mighty Warrior of Rhun. You only get to live one life so why not do something that you don't know what is going to happen.

He checks his bag one more time, 'Rope. check. Food and water. check. yumm Aunt Marie's Apple Pie... Tunic. check. robe. check. and finnally, my Rat Tail.

I adjust my Scimitar, Short Bow and Quiver then i walk out to a cliff looking of the lake of Rhun. its a nice lake. lovely foilage around. the odd majestik moose. I take a deep breath in, and then get startled by a large yell, and i fall about 4 feet to the shore with a big thud. ouch.

Last edited by Gil-Galad; 08-07-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Gil-Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:39 PM   #7
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Near the northern edge of The Old Forest, on the eastern side of the broad Brandywine River, stood a collection of ash trees that were scattered into the distance of other trees and among the shore. Among them stood a sentient shepherd of this end of the forest, an ent. Dozing off into the glassy distance of the river, it was watching what may be passing in its waters, to pass the time, as it did most everyday, for about most of the third age so far.

Ho hmm… If I stand in anymore of this I am going to go treeish… Wait, maybe I already have! No, no, I couldn’t have, I still can move my roots, and I’m not as grumpy as that old huorn willow down the river. I can’t blame him though; humans and other beings alike seem to be greedy for wood and land. It’s amazing I haven’t been felled yet, I guess it comes with your neighbors’ reputation. Even so, drowning and other forms of discouragement do not seem to be that effective to keep men away. If there was something else to feed this greed of theirs, and possibly make a trade of land with them for it, they might keep away long enough for new trees to move in. Hah ho hmm… What do men greed after, besides land and wood? I’ve thought of this before, but did I reach a decision? Ha, now that’s a funny thought, hasty decisions, from an ent!

This ash ent, called Kafkalina, was about to sigh another day away and maybe tend to a few rowdy adolescent ash trees, when the ent noticed a few objects floating down river. They seemed to belong to either men or elves, possibly the result of an ill-gone boating trip, or an ambush. As the first of them approached, the ent saw that they were not harmed in anyway, and seemed to only but recently have entered the water.

… Well, it’s been the right amount of time I guess to make one. Hmm… I’ve seen them carry those bags full of pressed gold, and they seen to value them quite a lot. Also, minerals that shine when struck and shown in Arien’s rays, they use those to adorn themselves and their tools too. So they value minerals, birthed from deep within Arda, and they want to have much of them as well…

The first was a barrel, which Kafkalina bent down to scoop out of the water. The ent found this to be empty, and the inside stained a purplish colour. Another barrel came, and the ent didn’t bother with this one, since it seemed the same. Then the third came, a crate of empty long necked bottles that clanged together with the crate. Forth and lastly, came an unopened bottle that seemed to be tagging along. The ent spurred by some unknown reasoning, slowly bent down and retrieved the bottle. The bottom was broken and the drink inside now long gone, but it oddly had a paper wrapping of some kind.

… They are not easy to come by, that is for sure, that must surely add to their value among men. Then there it is! Men have a want for these precious minerals. Now that I have my decision, I only have to find some of these minerals, rare in abundance, though I will need many to sway their wants of this land. Ho hmm… Though, how could I even find these minerals of great value with any greater or, similar chance than men?

Carefully, Kafkalina peeled back the damp wrapper to find a curious message written on the inside. Though slightly smudged, the ent could clearly read the speech of it’s author:

If you are a great adventurer in your heart, leave all that you have and come. Come to Dorwinion on the banks of the Sea of Rhun. You will there embark on your life's greatest adventure, with a prize to be won. Come alone and bring with you only these things.

The ent stood as still as it usually did, but it’s mind was swimming with thought. Obviously this message was meant for the drinker intended, but they seemed to be too consumed in some other state to wonder why this bottle had a slim paper wrapped around it. Kafkalina read it again, and rethought again. This obviously as well, would take some good crafted ent decision making.

I have never left my trees before, but if I am to have any forest to call home to, I must find a means to secure it. Ho hmm… A prize to be won? Anything could be a prize to be won, they are not material things only. No, no, I’m thinking too hard about this, I have to remember to whom this was most likely written to, and it’s author. This was intended for either men or elves, or any other of Eru’s children. It was called ‘life’s greatest adventure’, now, I can see any day men fell trees for wood and land; it is only often that they fight with neighbors over it. If I was a man or, an elve I wouldn’t consider that a great adventure worth my risk and life. Then this treasure must be of much greater importance, and rarity. Ha he ha! Men and elves, and other beings would truly risk so much for their value!
If it was possible for me to acquire these precious gems and gold, enough in abundance could reclaim land and keep men and others satisfied themselves. If I’m ever going to keep myself from turning into a feeble minded, angry old Huorn, I have to find a way to retrieve lost land and forests. Fine then, I will go upon this adventure, and maybe even chance upon other ents not already lost to becoming treeish.

Once settled, the ent scanned the list of things needed for the journey. Trying best as it could, the ent gathered supplies as it could.

Now let’s see, it calls for ‘2 sets of clothing’… Well, let me see here…

Kafkalina looked at its branches, and down to its roots. Trying to find something similar to what was called for, the ent plucked off a few stray shoots and shook out a few empty birds’ nests from it’s head, it was spring already and it was already in full green. The other set would have to wait for the autumn season, and colder weather. Next walking down into the forest deep, the ent collected the rest of the called for items, a rope made of strong willow strands, entwine and other needed food, and as for weapons, Kafkalina would be able to acquire such at Dorwinion's nearby nature easily.

Finally, ‘one novelty item’. Ho hmmm… must be ‘cariable’. Well, maybe I could bring an ash tree with me. No, they would attract axes with their complaining and drink all of the entwine… Lazy homebodies…. Wait, I have those mallorn seeds hidden away, the ones the elves left so many years ago. They are no use here among these common sprouts, maybe they can help my way in Dorwinion.

With all things in stow, the ent gave farewell to the ash trees and their Huorns, and made way to the beginning of the adventure. Kafkalina arrived to Dorwinion with little challenge and upon Rhun’s banks viewed two human figures and another in the water. Though never meeting any ents so far, Kafkalina was not discouraged to catch up on what other children of Eru had become, and with caution approached them in the shroud of nearby trees.

Last edited by THE Ka; 08-07-2006 at 09:50 PM. Reason: bolding, and the deciding wind of the matter
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #8
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
”You’re a good rogue but you have the brains of a sparrow!”, Novgorod snapped to Chang-Liang. “I’ll take my share and leave!” he called the party. “You, Whin-Ding, are just a parrot with no real capabilities. Sorry to say that, but I’m not not sticking with amateurs like you any more...” His words died into a silence. The others were looking at him keenly and somewhat nervously. No-one had questioned the leadership and the command of Whin-Ding before. It had been self-evident that he was the leader, and now this guy who had only been with them less than a month was making this speech...

“You just rush yourselves to every ambush around and get yourselves killed whenever you want to. Maybe tomorrow? I don’t care.” He picked his bag and took himself to Whin-Ding. “My share, please”, he said and opened his sack.

Whin-Ding looked at him with a faked surprised smile that hardly hid his anger and stared back to Novgorod. “You really think you can get out this easy?” he said at last, pronouncing the words slowly enough. He had his charisma still.

“I call for only my share. It was according to my own free will that I joined you, and it will be of my own free will to leave you. If Chang-Liang would have more brains, I would like to take him with me, but you know the facts. I’ll go alone as I came, but with my share...”

“You are not leaving with any booty that has not been shared already! You want to go, you go, but keep your hands away of our haul” Whin-Ding answered rapidly, staring Novgorod into the eye and tried to draw his blade to assert his authority.

Novgorod drew his blade faster, and before anyone could react, the head of Whin-Ding rolled over the grass. The beautiful Easterling sword was covered with blood. Novgorod wiped it clean on the tunic of the newly-deceased. Then he took the purse of Whin-Ding, counting on the valuables in it, taking every fourth of them to himself. The others just stood aside and watched the counting, not daring to raise their hands. "I'm Novgorod from Dale and have taken my share. Without me you wouldn't have earned even half of what Whin-Ding tried to keep as his own. Anyone to disagree?”, he called the others around him after he had finished re-dealing the property of Whin-Ding, ponting his still blood-dripping sword towards the others. The other men drew back as he mounted his horse and got on it. “Think twice whom you pick as your next leader!”, he called as he rode away.

He had his inventory while he rode: there was tea and some dried bread in his pakckages, there were thirteen darts and seven arrows with a bow he was very bad in shooting on; he had a tinderbox, a lengthy rope and some spare clothing: another pair of cotton trousers, a red silken shirt to add to his yellow one he was wearing at the moment, and a scarf embroided with silvery threads.

The next day he came to the River Running, near the shores of Rhûn and bathed there. It was a luxury rarely afforded. As he was getting back to the shore he noticed a bottle in the stream. He got back to the swiftly running river, pulled a few strokes and grasped the bottle. He read the message while the fish was quietly cooking over the fire.

A quest! That was just something he needed.

Last edited by Nogrod; 08-08-2006 at 11:21 AM.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:53 PM   #9
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
The Elf walked silently towards his favorites spot in all of Lorien; the Silverlode. The peace and tranquility of the forest and teh mingled noise the rushing stream made him at ease. Glirdingo just sat down, to take an afternoon nap when something shiny in the stream caught his eye.

He got up and walked over to it, for it had got snagged in the root of tree which was protrudinng out of the bank. It as then that he noticed that it was bottle. "That's peculiar" he thought to himself. "What would a bottle be doing floating down the Silverlode?"

He bent down and grabbed the bottle without losing his balance once. He inspected the bottle carefully. "Nothing out of the ordinary." But there was something about the bottle that felt mysterious. He decided to pull off the label of the bottle and see if there was something on the back. And there was. This is what it said:

He read and re-read the message three times before he was certain that this was no hoax. He rushed off back to the great city in the heart of Lothlorien to gather belongings and to set off to start this wonderful new adventure.

"Hmmm, it says to bring:

Quote:
2 sets of clothing
2 weapons of your choice
1 length of rope
Food and water rations
."

He scrambled around his room, trying to gather his belongings in a sack. He grabbed an extra set of clothing (deep green to blend in with the forest), along with his grey elven cloak which was fastened with the malorn leaf, like most cloaks were in Lorien. He grabbed all his rations of Lembas and a gray length of rope made only in Lorien For his weapons he grabbed a bow and quiver of arrows as well as a a short sword along with his walking stick.

He took one last look around his lovely little home and set off out the door for the sea of Rhun, not know what to expect, but excited for a grand adventure.

Last edited by Glirdan; 08-09-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:00 AM   #10
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe

"Wake up you nitwit." The words cut through the brisk air in the wilderness of Arnor. Ransley the Ranger sat up taking in a deep breath. There was nobody around. Ransley sat there alone, the only human around but not the only living being. There were a variety of creatures (both friendly and unfriendly) around. He brushed his hair off his forehead and stood up taking a look at himself. Brown breeches, brown boots, a gray shirt with a leather tunic on top. He lift a gray cloak up from the ground and wore it. His other pair of clothes, long gray flowing robes used mainly for special ocassions, were packed in his bag.

It would be a long day he sensed looking up at the sun. There was an adventure to set off on, money to be won. A bottle of wine was a rare thing in these parts and one bearing a secret message was even rarer. What it said was clear enough and Ransley had grown weary of guarding the ungrateful souls here. It was time for bigger things. He didn't require taking anyone's leave he was free to do as he would now. Hadn't always been that way though but things had changed since the death of his elder brother. He walked up to the edge of the hill he was on and looked around, quiet and peaceful. Things would not stay that way though, he knew that well enough. A quest would not be without danger but he was prepared for it. He took in a deep breath and walked back to where he had set camp.

He knelt down and inspected the ground, last night his weapons had been stolen by a group of goblins. It would not have been wise to have attacked them then not that it was wise now considering he was unarmed but he would have to none the less. Weaponless was no way to set off on a quest. He opened his bag and pulled out a thick and large metal sheet (Novelty Item). "Weaponless? Not quite." Though Ransley with a smirk. He lifted himself up and slung his bag over his shoulder. There was rope in his bag as well as food and water aplenty. This adventure would begin with a side-quest, how lovely.

He jogged along the path, tracking the goblins wouldn't be hard. They had taken no pains to keep their presence a secret.He found their lair easy enough. It was a cave which cut deep into the side of a hill near by. It would dark inside and he reckoned they wouldn't have left his weapons out in the open. He raised the metal sheet and began to move inside slowly and carefully.

It grew darker the deeper he ventured but there were no goblins so far. The cave ran on in a straight narrowing path until it came to a fork. He dropped to his knees to get a better look at the tracks. It was hard to tell which belonged to the goblins he was after and even if he could figure it out there was no telling whether or not they had handed his equipment to someone else. He sighed and examined the ground more closely... no, nothing... but wait! What was this? A bit ahead of where he was he noticed the ground pressed in a bit, one of his weapons had been placed here and then hurriedly picked up. It was not a goblin's hand impression there nor were those goblin footprints. Ransley raised to his feet quickly.

He began to run down the path as fast as his feet would carry him, the metal sheet held tight in his hand. It was a young boy, around seventeen he would guess, that had taken his equipment from here. A boy with goblins, that made no sense. The ranger came to a quick halt, partially aided by the fact that he had run straight into a solid rock wall. He shook his head and groggily got back to his feet. There didn't seem to be any harm done but he scolded himself for being so careless. What seemed to be a deadend, on closer inspection was revealed to be a door. He slid away the rock slab revealing a hole behind it. "Great." he thought. "More tunnels."

The ranger crawled through the tunnel, it wasn't too long. At the other end he had dropped out into what seemed to be a sort of make shift home. There was a bed, a stove, a couple of chairs and some other things that seemed to serve no real purpose. He walked in carefully, gripping the sheet in his gloved hands. There was movement, something cut through the air behind him. Something had tried to jump onto Ransley and whatever it was, was quick but the ranger was quicker. He spun around swiftly and raised the sheet as a figure smashed head first into it and dropped to the ground, out cold.

A young boy... in a goblin abode. Probably living off whatever scraps he could pick out from here. "Must be a tricky lad." Ransley mused as he placed the sheet back into his bag. He searched around the room till he found what he was looking for. It was a long sword with a black streak running through the middle fixed upon a black hilt. He seathed his sword, it was good to have it back. He then raised up a silver plated silver plated short sword.Still in perfect condition, he seathed that as well. He looked over at the boy before leaving and that moment he realized that this boy was destined for greater things. He couldn't leave him in this rat hole, there was only death to be found here.

So Ransley began to head towards the exit, his weapons reposessed and a young boy over his shoulder. All in all it would have gone well had a band of goblins not suddenly come out from the other end. The goblins snarled at the ranger, there were too many to fight and time was of the essence. He smirked at them as his hand creeped towards his sword. The goblins watched on, waiting till he drew his weapon before they attacked. Ransley had never drawn his sword though he had instead spun around and run leaving the goblins startled for a moment before they too followed after. He put two fingers into his mouth as he neared the way outside and whistled loudly, the sound piercing through the air like an arrow.

A neigh in the distance and the sound of approaching hooves told Ransley that his call had been answered. Arrows whistled past him but none hit and none would hit for it is fate. It has been written in the books of life that when faced with a main character the foe's accuracy drops to such a low number that they wouldn't be able to even shoot their own foot. However, a yelp from a goblin as his shot somehow dropped into his own foot broke that law.

Ransley tossed the boy onto the brown horse that waited outside before swiftly mounting it himself. He rode hard and fast to the first sanctuary on his way to begin his quest. He dropped the boy off there at the edge, he knew well enough that the boy would be found by those who would take care of him. As for himself though, it would be best to carry on. He had somewhere to be.

A horse trotted along to the destination designated in the note he had recieved. Ransley patted it on the neck and stopped it just before the meeting point, easing himself off. It would be best to go in alone as was mentioned in the note he reckoned. If he needed his horse later he could on him but for now he figured it would be best to go in alone. He rested a hand on his hilt as he walked towards where he was headed. He could sense he wasn't alone and he could also sense he would be in some strange company. It would be best to remain on guard.
Sleepy Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:03 AM   #11
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thin-Gloomy sat on a huge rock, hugging himself and singing to himself on a low voice, and shuddered. He was still gripping his crossbow tightly, though the fight had ended nearly an hour ago.

They hadn't killed him because he had climbed to the rock and threatened to shoot them with his bow. They had agreed to take his things and leave him be. They hadn't wanted to risk even one of them to die for such a poor price as Thin-Gloomy's cheap gear. So Thin-Gloomy still had his life. But that was not much.

He kept his eyes closed. He didn't need to look to know that they had taken everything. Probably every single thing he had had. He wailed. Property was everything for a dwarf, even for a poor one.

Now get up, you miserable creature, he told himself. Get up, you disgusting little crooked monster. Slowly, he lifted his head and looked around.

It was not as bad as he would have expected. His little camp was destroyed. They had taken his tent, his utensils, his cooking gear, his recommendation papers (though with the recommendations he had that was not a great loss), his little wooden flute... Everything. He wailed again.

I don't have anything, I'm lost, I'll die, everything is worse than it ever has been, I knew it'd come to this... He lifted his hand to tear his beard in anguish and dropped the crossbow. I still have the crossbow, he realised. It's better to die, even by starving, with a weapon than without one. At the same moment he understood that he was not totally robbed.

He still had his quiver and ten bolts. His hand found his big knife on his belt. He had a belt! And, logically, if he had a belt he had still his purse! He was not that poor after all!

Thin-Gloomy hopped off the stone, a bit less gloomy than a while ago.

He should have learned never to hop so carelessly. He landed badly. His back was on fire. He swore.

After a few minutes he got up. His happiness was gone even more swiftly than it had come. He searched his camp through to see if they had left him anything. This is in vain. They left nothing, he kept telling himself.

He was wrong. He found his tinderbox lying in a bush. Thin-Gloomy was glad he had left it to such a stupid place.

After a little search he found his spare clothes too. He grinned darkly. Of course they hadn't taken them. The clothes that fit Thin-Gloomy probably fit no other creature on earth.

Thin-Gloomy was an ugly creature, even for a dwarf. He was slightly malformed, short and thin. His back was a little crooked and his black beard and hair were sparse. He had small, dark and beady eyes and an unfriendly gaze.

It was no wonder he never got proper work. With his appearance, badly made and resized brown traveling clothes and his lack of training he was never the first one to be picked for an appointment. And now he didn't even have his utensils. No work for poor Thin-Gloomy, he thought and almost started to cry.

Dwarves don't cry, he heard his mother's sharp voice in his head. The same, merciless voice he had heard so many times as a child when he had come home crying and looking for comfort after being teased by the other children.

Thin-Gloomy did not cry. He walked to the little brook, which probably originated form the river Carnen. He was bowing down to fill his flask with water, when he noticed a little bottle floating on the brook. He picked it up, and he didn't know why. There was a piece of paper inside. It said:

Quote:

2 sets of clothing
2 weapons of your choice
1 length of rope
Food and water rations

Good Luck
With a price to be won..., Thin-Gloomy thought. His eyes were lit in delight. Never to be poor and despised again! Quickly, he packed his things up and left the place.

In the next village he used his coins to buy him food for the journey and a good rope. Then he headed for the Sea of Rhûn and the great treasure that would change his life.

Last edited by Thinlómien; 08-08-2006 at 06:07 AM.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:52 AM   #12
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Narleah had crept out of her village in the Misty Mountains with not one of her kin the wiser. She was not very keen on the idea of sharing the hidden loot with anyone else. So Narleah plodded on with her floppy leather hat pulled down over her forehead and a heavy knapsack lugged over her shoulder.

The sun was beating waves of heat down on her small Dwarven body, making her sweat profusely. It was at that time that she decided to take a seat under a tree that provided a small amount of reprieve. Narleah had kept a close eye on her beloved bottle and checked her pack once again, reassuring herself of its whereabouts. First she removed her extra set of clothing and food:One woolen tunic for those chilly evenings and some dried meat and flat bread for when she could not find sustenance elsewhere. "There you are," she said plucking the bottle from the bottom of her pack. She read the label, yet again, and found renewed confidence in herself. Narleah took a huge breath in and gave herself a whack on the chest with her fist. She gave a heave and a grunt and pulled herself up off the ground. She had put all of her belongings back in their respective places in her knapsack. Narleah then scooped up her weapons and looped her hatchet in its belt and with the use of her rope crosswise over her chest and back; attached the mace to it for easier transport.

Once again Narleah found herself out in the heat and wondered while puffing a piece of beard hair from her chin, what each turn would hold for her in the days to come.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:00 PM   #13
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Boots

A tall cloaked figure stood silently, hidden from the group of waiting adventurers. Stepping out of the foliage the figure approached the waiting group. Not one of the group noticed his approach, they were all preoccupied with their own thoughts and busying themselves with their tasks. He stopped and stood not ten feet from them with not a word. Suddenly one of the group, an Elf, spied the cloaked figure and before the Elf could cry a warning, the cloaked figure raised his hand palm out in a quieting gesture. The large group was instantly silent as they became aware of his presence.

Reaching up the figure uncloaked his face. There stood a majestic regal Elf.
" I am Eoln" again he raised his hand, before a protest could be sounded. "I am sent here by Berrick, he gave to me instructions that I have been paid grandly to deliver here, today, to you." He pulled from beneath his cloak a scroll of paper, tied neatly with a Golden bow. The now gathered group looked around at each other and back to the Elf.

Eoln gracefully undid the ribbon in one quick motion and unrolled the parchment and began to read.

You have come from far and wide to this spot on this day, it is not coincidence that each of you here has chosen to make this journey. You are all great adventurers. I myself could not be there, I am an old man. I have sent Eoln in my stead, he will be watching, always watching. I have given you all a list of items, I dare anyone to bring more than I asked....Eoln has a temper and I would hate to see someone robbed of all their things before the end. Now there are paths that you must follow, it is up to you which way you will go, but do not stray off the paths, for danger lurks everywhere and only on the paths can Eoln provide you all with at least some protection from the evils around you. You shall all travel alone and that is how it shall stay until the end. Beware of the race boundaries....do not travel beyond the Gray mountains or the horrid Ash mountains. You will meet and see many strange or unusual things ion your way, but be strong ands good luck, may you all travel safely and may the Best Adventurer win.

All mouths stood agape. Eoln stood silently before replacing the scroll inside his cloak. Then as suddenly as he arrived , Eoln turned on his heels and about to vanish from whence he came, when a high pitched voice shouted, "Now what?"
Eoln sighed and turned to face the group again, they all stood staring in his direction. " Now you go." he said simply. "Go? what do you mean go?" shouted a large man from the rear. " Eoln smiled, a queer sorta smile that looked as if he would erupt with laughter. "You have all now been racing for about five full minutes and since that there Dwarf is the farthest west then most of you, he is now in the lead." With that Eoln turned and was gone. Each individual looked at the nearby Dwarf who stood slightly apart, as he turned around and took off into a sprint. Every person in turn began to quickly depart. The race had begun.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #14
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Player List

Eomeleo

Race-Human
Location-Gondor
Weapons- Sword/Crossbow
Novelty- Golden Ocarina on chain
Clothes- Shirt, jacket, waistcoat, ruffled shirt, a splendid feathered hat.(all royal blue)

Valesseka

Race-Human
Location-Arnor
Weapons-Throwing axe/ Stave
Novelty-Brooch
Clothes-wool and leather travelling clothes

Galadster

Race-Human
Location-Rhun
Weapons- Scimitar/Short bow and quiver
Novelty-Rat tail
Clothes-Tunic and Robe

Kafkalina

Race-Ent
Location-North edge of the Old forest, East side of the Brandywine river
Weapons-Strength and height (body)
Novelty-Mallorn seeds
Clothing-Green leaves/ Autumn leaves

Glirdingo

Race-Elf
Location-Lorien
Weapons-Bow and quiver/Short sword
Novelty-Walking stick
Clothes- Deep green camouflaged clothes and a grey Elven cloak held on by a mallorn leaf pin.

Narleah

Race- SheDwarf
Location-Misty Mountains
Weapons- Mace/ Hatchet
Novelty-Over sized floppy leather hat
Clothes-Long leather jerkin, Wool coat

Novgorod

Race-human
Location-Dale
Weapons-13 Darts/beautiful Easterling Sword
Novelty-Tinderbox
Clothes-Cotton pants, red and yellow silk shirts, scarf embroidered with silver thread

Thin-Gloomy

Race-Dwarf
Location-Iron Hills
Weapons-Crossbow 10 arrows/Big knife
Novelty-Tinderbox
Clothes-Badly made brown traveling clothes

Ransley

Race-Human
Location-Arnor
Weapons-Long sword with a black streak down the middle/Silver plated short sword.
Novelty-Thick metal sheet 15x17 inchs
Clothes-Brown pants, brown boots,grey shirt, leather tunic, grey cloak,long grey robes

Day 1 has now begun. All players please pm your direction choice to me. Left, right or Straight .....You have 36hrs to complete your post.

Last edited by Valier; 08-08-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Valier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:56 PM   #15
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Novgorod was used to the elves from his childhood. They had been arrogant wise-guys to him ever since. But they were beautiful, he couldn’t help his inward feelings. But this elf who declared himself to be Eoln was majestic and more shining than many of his fellows Novgorod had met during his life. Novgorod was taken aback by him.

As Eoln disappeared, Novgorod got the hint fast enough and took his sack. “We’ll see the outcome, although I can’t see the reason why these dwarves would be on the lead here”. He nodded towards the dwarves and then smiled to the others. “We may almost walk across the river, but these guys must swim. Nice to see you little folk to do your best!” With a big grin he walked into the River and started crossing it. At halfway he had to swim for some yards but then he took back to walking in the waist-deep water.

He had taken his path to the left from where they started. He wandered the miles singing the songs his mother had taught him when he was young. He was in a good mood. After the thickets that surrounded the river he started crossing the more open land with small hills decorating his way.

At noon he decided to stop for a lunch and he sat down by the hill that had a rocky outcrop. He took the biggest stone and sat on it, picking some dried meat from his sack to eat. Soon enough he noted a huge rat that was trying to hide behind a rock some two feet away from him. He reached for a small pebble to throw at the rat but managed to scare it by leaning leftwards.

The rat took a flight but happened to jar loose the rocks on the slope to slide down. In an instant there was a landslide of rocks coming over Novgorod. He had no chance of getting out of the way of the stones. His left foot was jammed under the rocks.

For a while he just cursed, trying to free his leg with no avail. Calm down, calm down... you need to use your mind here, he thought to himself and laid down with his foot stuck under the rocks. He remebered Quan-Li, the Easterling captain who had taught him so much about the ways of the world years ago. Use the power of the enemy against him – make his power work for you, he had said. How could one use a rat to turn the tables here?

Then it flashed on him. He took a piece of dried meat he was still holding on his right hand and stuffed it under the biggest boulder that was jamming his left foot. Then he ripped another piece of it, throwing it to the hole between the stones that had covered his leg. The piece of meat felt cold against his ankle he could not reach. Then he fell backwards and started playing dead. He did not move and breathed only slowly and carefully.

It took some fifteen minutes when the rat came back. It had its friends with it. Slowly they started approaching his leg, having the scent of the meat on their noses. Novgorod felt the rats running over him, some of them snapping him from the ears or nose or gnawing his thigh, but amidst all the pain, he remained silent. In the end they found the pieces of meat at his feet and started to go after them, concentrating their biting to his leg.

The host of rats tried to get to the piece of meat that he had stucked under the stone that was jamming his leg. Together the rats hoisted the boulder and as the others were turning the rocks that tied his ankle, Novgorod realised that it was his time to act. Suddenly he jumped up, just when the load of the stones had eased enough. With a quick grasp he managed to catch two rats with his hands. He turned their heads around and threw them to the ground. The others had disappeared. Only two, he thought to himself, not much, but better than nothing. He kneaded his left foot and found it being quite allright.

He skinned the two rats and made a fire. Novgorod thought he had earned that dinner.

Last edited by Nogrod; 08-08-2006 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:37 AM   #16
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thin-Gloomy swore. He shouldn't have walked straight to the field. He should have guessed that no field is as innocent as it looks like.

There were thistles. Thistles that tore clothes, scraped skin and made the passage almost impossible. They are like elves, Thin-Gloomy thought. The more he thought about his comparison the more he liked it. Elves and thistles. They both were sneaky. They both hid below grass. They both were nasty. They both tended to made a dwarf tingle. And they both had prickles.

But like elves, thistles never beat a dwarf! Thin-Gloomy decided. He looked around. The thistle bush was twenty feet all around him. Once again he hoped he was a normal, big, healthy dwarf, who could wield an axe and cut down the thistles with a few great swings. But he wasn't. He was only a skinny and malformed dwarf whose back was crooked and who would never have the strength to wield a battle axe properly.

A dwarf does not give in, Thin-Gloomy decided. Bitterness was no reason to let the thistles torture him for ever. He drew his big knife from its sheath. He gave it a glance. Heroes in tales name their weapons when they fight their first fight with the weapon. What should I name you, sir Knife? Thistle-cleaver, maybe? A poor name for the blade of a poor dwarf, he thought wryly. But he had already begun to like the name.

Thin-Gloomy lifted the Thistle-Cleaver and started to cut the thistles. It was not as easy as one could imagine. The thistles were thumb-thick and strong. A well-aimed blow might cut one, but could fail to cut one as well. Hacking at the thistles was a more certain way to destroy them, but it took time.

Slowly and firmly Thin-Gloomy hacked his way out of the bush. He had come out of there, but not as triumphantly as he had hoped. He was thirsty and tired, his clothes looked even worse than before, his skin was covered in itching scratches and his blade was blunt. He was shuddering again.

He sat down to have a pause and a well-earned rest. He took a mouthful of water. He hoped he could find water somewhere, but there was no water nearby, not even a little brook. He wished there was. Though he hated water as an element, he hated being thirsty too. And he hated the itch. He craved to pour all the water in the waterskin on himself to stop it.

Thin-Gloomy was just about to bow down and press his ear against the ground to listen if there was water beneath the ground, when a sweet scent caught his nose. He turned to see the origin of the faint smell. He did know many plants, but this one he knew. Both scent and the looks. Green, tapering leaves that sprung from the ground. He remembered the summer when huge horseflies had infested the outer Iron Hills. And he remembered aloe vera, brought by the merchants.

He picked all the leaves he found. He crushed a few of them between two small stones and put the rest of them to his bag. He spread the salve from the crushed leaves on his skin. After a while it didn't itch so much any more. He was feeling better now.

He looked down at himself. He was aware that he looked even more horrible than before. There is no one to look down at me here in the wilderness, Thin-Gloomy told himself, but couldn't help hoping that the robbers hadn't taken his sewing kit.

Last edited by Thinlómien; 08-09-2006 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #17
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Kafkalina had come through fields, and now the ent had ended up in one with a tricky first face value. The grass, which was high enough to rival saplings, was not the new problem. Underneath stood hundreds of thistles, which at first stood no challenge to the ent’s tough ashen bark, but over time they quickly began to have effect. It would have been easier to think this out, if it wasn’t for the sun overhead, which caused Kafkalina to sweat, while all the leaves would rather spend a day to photosynthesize. The ent stopped for now, and gave thought to a more resourceful nature.

Ha Hmmmm! Thistles, you scourges… Most likely the last testaments to entwives’ gardens. Indeed, I am glad I didn’t join up in that great walk to these lands, teaching northern Huorns was a good change of plans. Is this a punishment, then? No, no, most likely meant for other things of more deviance. I am just an ent, covered in prickles… and half of me wants to take in the sun and just sit here…

Kafkalina searched through her bag, mostly full of entwine, it was something that was saved and eventually had a good use. Taking a bit out in her stone bowl, it helped to quench some of the thirst off for more concentration. The ent’s roots meanwhile took this as a sign that they would be standing here for a bit, and began to slowly burrow into the ground. Then, the ent noticed two things.

This ground is quite soft, far less density it would seem from river rock and sand. Hmmm, maybe walking above is not the answer, but to furrow the plants from below and make a path. It won’t be as fast as before, but patience is a specialty of mine, which I have almost forgotten. I may have never made great gardens, but we ents all have the same secrets I guess.
Wait, I thought I had prickles all over… Oh ghoulish goblin axe, my sap is running…

The ent found the familiar sight of most trees in distress, thousands of drops of sap had begun to flow from where the prickles once where. Now they were covered and flowing within the drops. Soon, Kafkalina came upon a great idea.

Even if I furrow from below, I will still have to contend with the thistle’s little arrows. Sap would help keep them from directly harming me, but they would stick to me. Wait! Ho hmmm! It does not matter how many stick, they can be a good investment later. They can offer protection I see, a sort of armor! Oh great mallorn sprouts, maybe today is a fine day for a walking…

She rummaged through her things in tow and found more entwine, taking sips here and there helped to keep the sap flowing as the ent’s roots furrowed with diligent speed ahead. As predicted, the thistles’ heads where all but decapitated once they touched the sap, and began to collect upon her bark.

What to much younger creatures would seem an eternity, Kafkalina managed to find near the end of the field some small hills where a few trees clung to them for survival. Kafkalina slowly made her way to the closest patch to rest for a minute.

Well, at least I am out of the thistles, though, I might have needed a few more here and there...

Kafkalina gave a laugh to this, but it seemed rather a forced one. She then readied herself for continuation of the journey, maybe soon she would be able to share a laugh, just maybe.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:20 AM   #18
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Galadster look around... he was in a pickle, a hurting, poking pickle...he looked around, seeing that the end of the field was still 10 feet away and the sun was making it hotter and hotter.

I try to keep walking. oww. ouch.OWW. alright that won't work. maybe i can start cutting the thistles. though i risk losing my leg if i do that hmm. There are alot of bushes and twigs around. What can i do with Twigs and bushes that will make the thistles dissapear fast. something that can go fast. perferably a redish colour too.

Galadster stood there thinking. Then it came to him. I'll burn the field! The days of being a Easterling-Scout has finnally came back to his memory. Galadster grabbed the twigs and bush and began to make a fire. brushing the twigs together a spark ignited. then blew out. Galadster started another fire, but that also blew out. So he started a third fire! that one fell out of Galadsters hands, into his shoe, causing burns, and then blew out. But his fourth fire stayed and soon the fire was spreading through the field burning everything.

I stood there watching the fire, then i realized that i should be going now before the fire catches up with me. going now. jogging now. running now. Jumping from fire to fire not to get ablazed, waiting for the fire to burn a path for me to go through.

So Galadster ran as the fire grew and grew and the msoke could be seen from all around.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:50 AM   #19
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdingo decided to go straight, into the wide open fields, with tall grass. It was a hot day and he was sweating like a big on a stick. He noticed that there was an Ent, a Dwarf and a Man ahead of him. It was then that he noticed he was rather itchy. "Probably from all this persperation," he thought to himself lazily, and he continued on, ploughing through the field at a slow, casual pace.

But even as he continued on, the itchiness didn't disappear. He searched his pack for his canteen of water and remembered that he forgot it back at his home in Lorien. "I KNEW there was something I forgot!" he cried out loud. As he searched, his hand hit something hard and hollow. "What's this?" he asked as he pulled the object out. It was his canteen. "Well, that's wierd. I proabably forgot to take it out after that walk up to Mirkwood last month. But it's empty. A lot of use that is," he said sarcastically, putting the canteen back into his pack.

He continued on, hoping to come across a stream sometime soon. Unfortunately, the itchiness continued on relentlessly. "Ugh! Why am I so itchy!" he thought irritably. He scratched his arm and withdrew it quickly with a sharp "Ow!" He looked down and noticed that he was covered in thistles. "I should have known that there was more to this field than first appeared." He looked around hopelessly, trying to see the end of the field. "Hmmm... 20 feet around me in each direction. No use in me stopping to remove these now. I shall wait until I reach the end," he thought to himself, a slight exahsperated laugh escaping his lips at that exact moment.

He ploughed on, straight to the end of the field, trying to ignore the continuous itchiness from the thistles. He reached into his pack and pulled out one of his many lembas breads, broke half of it, put the other half in his bag, and continued on, munching on his food in an attempt to forget his itchiness. It was then that he noticed that the grass had lessened and in a few more minutes he stepped out of the field, just as he took his last bite of his lembas bread.

"Well, that didn't take as long as I expected! Now to remove these blasted thistles." He looked around once more, hoping to find a stream in which to fill his canteen but there wasn't one for miles. "I couldn't bear with these thistles as far as that stream," he thought. So he started unpacking his pack to see if there was anything in it that could aid him to be rid of the thistles. "Hmmm...lembas, no. Bow and arrows, definetly not. Rope? Perhaps... Sword? I'm not looking for a death wish!! Extra clothes?? I'm not changing here!! Well, let's try this," he finally said as he took up the rope. He wrapped around himself just above his chest which was where the thistles began. Once it was completely wrapped around himself (loose enough for him to move up and down himself, but tight enough so it wouldn't fall off), he pushed it down his chest, over his stomach and down his legs. "HA! It worked!" he thought triumphantly, staring at the length of rope which was covered in the thistles he had just removed from himself. He shook it and all the thistles fell off. "Now to remove these blasted things from my arms." He repeated the same thing twice more (once for each arm) and shook the rope clean. "Gotta love this rope," he thought to himself smiling happily as he put everything back into his sack.

He had a quick snack (the other half of his lembas bread) before continuing. "That was definetly an interesting barriers, but they're only going to get harder as I go on," he thought silently and he laughed a merry laugh, his voice clear and young (after all, he was still a young Elf in the reckoinging of his people). "Maybe I shall have more laughs with others along this road?" he said out loud happily, walking slowly towards the West.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:52 AM   #20
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe

"Argh... a stupid elf." is all that went through Ransley's head as Eoln spoke. It was not that Ransley had anything at elves, it was just that he did not like them and for that matter he did not like anyone. In fact he knew he was here more so for making things harder for the other adventurers rather than for winning. "Quite a temper? Its just a sissy elf. I'd like to see him lose his temper. I think it would be fun to see if theres a dwarf near by." Ransley mused as he began to head in his chosen direction.

"Thats odd... everywhere is itchy." thought Ransley, a bit agitated. So far his plan of making life bad for others had not quite started though he was still in full hopes he would have a shot to pester someone ere the night came to an end. Which was perhaps a safe thing to say, night was quite far off. At present however he had other things to worry about, this field of thistles he was currently walking in for example. "I could make short work of them with my sword but the sane mind always picks the harder and more inconvenient way first." he muttered to himself as he turned his head skywards.

Lo behold! Larks! Larks ate seeds. He brought his fingers to his mouth and whistled loudly, a small flock of larks swooped down near him. "I hope they understand common because I don't speak bird." he took in a deep breath and began to speak.
"Righty-o larks of the land! If you'd be so gracious as to guide me through where the thistles aren't so pointed and hopefully less denser than they are here I'd be grateful. In fact I may even have a little something for your trouble." He said to them cheerfuly. "And its pretty hot so if a couple of you'd, the stronger ones would lift this..." He drew his metallic sheet out. "...over my head and keep the sun off me I'd be quite grateful."

All the larks save one picked the sheet out of Ransley's hands and lifted it over his head, protecting him from the sun best it could. It wasn't much but it helped. The lone bird flew a bit and then chirped at Ransley, the ranger could only hope that meant 'follow'. He drew his short sword and began to chop away the thistles in front of him. It was still hard work and had him rather sweaty though the flapping of birds wings near him helped cool him and the sheet kept the sun off him, it would be steaming hot when he got it back he thought.

Once he was out of that thistle infested patch he stooped to the ground, searching for tracks of anyone else who had come this way as the birds placed his sheet near him.
"One last task my fine feathered friends." He drew out one of his waterskins and drank a bit to quench his thirst. He then pulled out some blades of grass and spread them on the metallic sheet, pouring all the water left onto them. "Refill this with fresh water. Fly swiftly and try your hardest to get back to me before the night ends." One of the birds took the empty waterskin from him and flew off, the rest following close behind.

Ransley removed his cloak and soon the rest of what he had on and used the wet leaves [rather hot by now] to scrub himself. He then slipped back into his clothes and took a sip out of his other waterskin. He hoped the birds would be back soon though if needed he could live off the water he had for a week, maybe longer, he had done it before several times in the past. He then returned to scanning the ground for tracks.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #21
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
West? thought Éomeléo, well, there is no way I'm going due west to South Mirkwood! This was smart thinking, and he decided to venture north. Whatever evils he would encounter up there would have to be less than the power in Dol Guldur, which Gondor was rather worried about.

He strode along, and was soon out of sight of the others, a ramshackle bunch if ever he had seen one! Let them take the straight and narrow. Éomeléo chuckled at the thought of what they were heading towards.

He was really having a lovely time of it. It was a beautiful, sunny day and the birds were singing. In the late afternoon he discovered the catch in the route he had chosen. He was faced with the Celduin, also known as the River Running; and it was running pretty fast today. Éomeléo stood there thinking.

He gazed east and saw little of note, so he followed the river westwards for a few miles in search of a bridge or any method of crossing. There was none. At times he played some melodies on his ocarina but all this brought were the beautiful responses of the larks. He was definitely alone in the wild. He realised that he needed to get back onto the path, and so decided to test the river, knowing that he'd have to get wet to earn this wondrous treasure.

Placing his pack and his weapons on the grass, Éomeléo walked to the river, but stopped. He didn't want to get his clothes wet, particularly his waistcoat. So off came that, his cloak and his shirt. He looked quite the picture: half-naked but still partly resplendent in his Gondorian feathered hat. He waded in, for though the river was fast, he had chosen a shallow section of the Celduin, and he was strong enough to walk slowly and heavily to the middle of the river. It reached up to his neck at the deepest point, and the far bank was but 30 feet away from here.

He returned to his belongings and rearranged them. Wrapping all of his clothes together in his pack with his ocarina, he waded back into the river. Realising that he needed an arm to balance with in the water, he decided to hurl the pack across from where the water was just above waist-high. Being a young nobleman and having little else to do with his time but participate in sports, he achieved this easily, for the bag was not especially heavy, and it cleared the bank by a safe distance.

The weapons were harder to transport. Lifting them high, one at a time, Éomeléo practically skipped across the river this time. Never had it been so useful to be tall, and even then the river dragged his twinkle-toed approach far downstream before he reached the bank. It was very laborious, and when he finally got across he lay panting on the ground. He was soaking wet, and the sun was sinking in the sky; but his food, water and ocarina had been protected well by his clothing. It seemed good to young Éomeléo at this point, and he laughed out loud.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:06 PM   #22
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Special Annoucement! Mod Award!

Surprise! We mods have our own mini awards that we can give out at any time!

I am pleased to annouce that the first Special Mod Award goes to Kafkalina, for an outstanding use of her environment. Instead of turning lemons into lemonade, she turned thistles into armor! Well done!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tree-Dragon award.jpg (97.3 KB, 616 views)

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:35 PM   #23
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesseka blinked as the other adventurers scattered. Certainly there must be something wrong with this Berrick fellow. Not only had she come from the west, but probably passed right by this glittering cavern quite quickly in her rush east to find the Sea of Rhûn. Wandering north, she was fast to make sure to keep careful eye on where she was heading. Every once and a while having to alter her course slightly because of rocky obstacles. By the heat of the day, however, Valesseka found herself eeriely cooled. There was a loud, constant rushing sound, and in only a few more moments she would see it. Valesseka had arrived at the River Running.

After gapping at the speeding current for a minute, Valesseka took in her surroundings more collectedly (Though that is, in itself, and overstatement, if I might add.). A short walk to her left there was a small abandoned beaver dam. Eyeing the speeding current again, Valesseka figured she could reason out what had happened to the resident beavers. Behind her were still some trees, a few of which had noticably grabbed the attention of the watery rodents of yesteryear and fallen to their demise.

Wasting no time, Valesseka pulled out her throwing axe and got to work scrapping the remaining bark off of the most petrified looking of the fallen timbers. Not long after, however, began her collection of splinters, which grew to such a point where she had to stop working and see to her hands. Wincing, Valesseka finished her work and carefully push the log on top of the dam. With this she "broke" for dinner, snacking on dried bread and jerky as well as some water. With a gulp and a glug it was down and so was she, on top of the trunk.

With her pack tied to the top of the log, stave included, Valesseka sat backwards on the log and pushed off of the dam with her feet. Quickly she jumped in and held onto the trunk so it would not get away. Carefully, though through much mud and muck, she walked her pack across, clinging and paddling frantically when her feet could no longer reach the river bed. Reaching the other bank covered in sludge, Valesseka muttered as she was forced into her secound wool garb, washing the dirty one in the water which had ravaged it. "I bet that ent wouldn't have any problem going north." She muttered, "Hope I'm ahead...or at least not last."

Hanging her wet clothing on the rope she settled down for the day in from the riverbank.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:35 PM   #24
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Eoln ordered the words "go!" Narleah did not need a second tell. She headed away from the other group members. Thinking that she was the first one out, she couldn't believe her eyes when she saw the other Dwarf. "It's him!" She groaned "And it appears that he has chosen the straight path, well I will certainly not follow suit." Narleah ran further ahead and without pause, veered left. To Narleah's astonishment she ran out of steam quite quickly. Huffing and puffing she slowed herself to a walk. The scenery was quite beautiful she thought and flat, she chuckled as she just couldn't believe how flat the area was. Living in the Misty Mountains and being surrounded by....well mountains, Narleah was not at all used to the vast expanse of the vastness that was all around her.

Narleah plodded on for some miles when she came across a rocky outcrop. Feeling her belly telling her it was time for a feed, she wondered if there were to be something hiding in the rocks that would be easy enough to catch and eat. She had been picking her way up, down and across the loose stones when her next step startled a fairly large rat. "Ah ha, ya lil bugger!" She exclaimed with a wide grin and was about to give chase when suddenly the rocks that were about six feet above her came tumbling down. Narleah lost her footing and fell with a thud. She sat there peering at her now trapped legs and looking around, wondered if anyone had seen this gruff dwarf's predicament....no one....not a soul to be found. "Aye, well what to do now."

The hairy she-dwarf sat there for some time querying her situation. She pondered and pondered and pondered some more. "Hmmm I wonder if I were to just move this leg." So she did "And if I were to move this leg" She did this as well. Once again Narleah found herself tumbling down over the now long settled rocks that had fallen way earlier and came to, yet another thud...this time at the bottom of the outcrop. She stood up abruptly and dusted herself off, "Ahem...well right then."

By this time the sky had drawn its curtains and darkness was setting in. Narleah found another rocky outcrop, amazingly for such a flat land, and set camp. A flicker of light was seen not to far from where she was. The dwarf wondered if someone else had chosen the same path. "Maybe I will offer some idle chit chat whilst we await day break."
Old 08-09-2006, 11:53 PM   #25
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

I am ending Day 1 now, seeing as everyone is done. But night will still end at 1am CST tomorrow

Players now pm me your votes for your daily favorite post. You may not vote for yourself.

Night will last 24hours

Players that may converse with one another are as followed in groups.

Group 1
Eomeleo
Valesseka

Group 2
Kafkalina
Galadster
Ransley
Glirdingo
Thin-Gloomy

Group 3
Narleah
Novgorod

There will be no talking to other groups!!
This is the time to post as much as you like about anything you like (in character)

This map shows where you are all located on the end of Day 1

NIGHT ONE HAS NOW BEGUN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Day 1.JPG (82.7 KB, 597 views)
Old 08-10-2006, 07:15 AM   #26
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

The moon had just risen when Glirdingo stopped for the night. He took out half of a lembas bread and his canteen, which he had filled at a convieniently place stream a few miles back, and sat down for supper.

It was then that he noticed there were others about, one of them being an Ent. "I should go speak with him because none of my people have in years." He stood up and walked over to where the Ent was standing.

"Good day to you Mister Ent!" he called up. "I am Glirdingo, an Elf of Lorien!"
Old 08-10-2006, 10:48 AM   #27
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Kafkalina sensed night coming, and decided to take a quick nap. By the time the ent would forcefully wake itself, it would be morning... She hoped.

Just as she had begun to doze into sleep, with her roots in the ground and her weary branches now well groomed, the sound of a voice startled her.

Ha hoomm! Who in the name of Arda is that?! Am I hearing things again? Maybe it is a dream, no, I haven't had those in centuries. Well, it doesn't sound dangerous, but it would be best to be on my guard...

Kafkalina slowly opened her eyes to hear the calling again.

"Good day to you Mister Ent!"

Mister? ... Oh no, I've really let myself go, haven't I?!

Then, the voice finished it's sentence.

"I am Glirdingo, an Elf of Lorien!"

Lorien? I have not been there in ages, hmmm. An Elve? Oh my, I have not seen it's people either in so long. I wonder how many of those Mallorn trees are no longer saplings, oh, they must be so beautiful now. Well, I guess I could save the nap for later, it would be nice to hear what has happened in the wide world recently.

The ent cleared it's throat and bent down slowly to address this elve called Glirdingo.

" *Sulier vanë minë, it has me at quite a surprise to talk with one of Lorien! I am Kafkalina, an ent of the northern woods, or, what is left of them. Oh, begging my pardon, but I am afraid I am not a 'mister', but do not worry, it is no great offense Glirdingo. Might I ask what has become of the fair land of Lorien, and it's great Mallorn trees? They were but saplings when I passed through, and I never saw what became of them."

Kakalina uprooted and went to sit upon the ground, making sure of course not to harm Glirdingo as she did, there was still many thistles attached to her.

((OOC:* 'Greetings fair one', sorry, couldn't resist using some Quenya.))
Old 08-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #28
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Quote:
" *Sulier vanë minë, it has me at quite a surprise to talk with one of Lorien! I am Kafkalina, an ent of the northern woods, or, what is left of them. Oh, begging my pardon, but I am afraid I am not a 'mister', but do not worry, it is no great offense Glirdingo. Might I ask what has become of the fair land of Lorien, and it's great Mallorn trees? They were but saplings when I passed through, and I never saw what became of them."
"Ah! I am sorry! I could not really see you in this night and you're eyes were closed, my dear Kafkalina. Those saplings that you once knew are no more, they are great trees now. Our people live in some of the greates trees of that wood." Glirdingo said with enthusiasm.

"Now, if you don't mind, tell me what has become of the rest of the Entwives? And why, if you don't mind my asking, have you come to participate in this event?"
Old 08-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #29
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"Ah! I am sorry! I could not really see you in this night and you're eyes were closed, my dear Kafkalina. Those saplings that you once knew are no more, they are great trees now. Our people live in some of the greates trees of that wood.", The elve from Lorien replied with joy.

Ho hmm! Dear?! What does this elve mean by this?... Hmmm. Oh, so the Mallorns did mature, how lovely indeed.

Kafkalina was about to answer about the mallorn trees, when Glirdingo had something else to say as well.

"Now, if you don't mind, tell me what has become of the rest of the Entwives? And why, if you don't mind my asking, have you come to participate in this event?"

Entwives? Those silly ents, wishing to be with other ents then running off to create gardens. Then again, did I run off too? No, no, my place was, and is in the north with the neglected trees. Besides, I hear now that Fangorn forest is crowded, I am lucky I chose to stay in the north. Ho hmm... This Glirdingo wishes to know why I joined the event, hmm. Well, I can say one thing about it without being too silent.

" Well Glirdingo of Lorien, the last time I saw the Entwives was when they were heading towards these lands. I myself was an outsider to what caused them to do this, but instead of leaving for what is now the Brown Lands, I chose to go north by myself. The ash trees in the northern woods were in need of instruction to protect themselves and such, so, I went. After the Maiar Sauron's scourge upon these lands, neither I, nor other remaining ents know of what became of them. Sad it is. I came to find this event by a broken bottle in a stream I found, and after much thought, I decided it was time for me to see the world again, before I became too treeish."

Last edited by THE Ka; 08-10-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:45 PM   #30
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Novgorod was about to settle for the night when he noticed the faint glow of a fire something like a mile northwards from him. Hmm. Someone else picking this path too? Some company might surely do, he thought to himself and started towards the glow. Even though Novgorod might have been best described as a rough and ruthless rogue he surely was a social guy. He needed his solitude every now and then, but not too often. He was at home with others. And as he was quite reliant on his skills with arms, he generally wasn’t afraid of strangers anyhow.

When he finally got to the fire, he met a female dwarf, ready to use her hatchet against anyone approaching her with ill intentions. Uh-Oh! From all the other contestants, the female dwarf! Novgorod was somewhat used to the dwarves though. Living a great part of one’s life in Esgaroth did expose one to both elves and dwarves. And the dwarwes he considered just some underground weirdos as the elves were to him plain creepy.

“Good evening, master dwarf! Narleah, was it?” He greeted the dwarf pulling a smile of a friendly kind to hide his immediate embarrassement. “I suggest you put down your hatchet so that I don’t have to draw my sword”, he then added with a calm voice with no aggression in it, studying the dwarf carefully to notice any hints of action on her part early enough. “I just saw the glow of your fire up here and thought of finding some company for the night”.

Narleah laid her hatchet down with a grin and gestured Novgorod to the fire. As Novgorod sat down he pulled the pouch of tea from his belt and untied the knots in it. He held the leaves in his hand and asked Narleah smilingly: “Some tea perhaps? I could make it for two.” Narleah seemed to approve of the offer and so Novgorod started preparing the tea, chatting easily as he went on with it. He started to feel easy too. Funny, with a female dwarf... well there are wonders in the world mightier than this I suppose.

“My name is Novgorod and I come from Esgaroth. I don’t live there permanently any more due to some troubles way back, but... Well, that’s another story.” He raised his eyebrows and made a kind of conspirational smile to Narleah. Then he sighed and continued: “Many people call me a rogue, but I prefer to call myself just a wanderer who’s trying to make a living in this wretched world of ours.” He poured a small handful of the dried leaves to the kettle and whistled a little melody, looking the dwarf over the fire with some curiosity.

“Did you recognize the tune? I knew a dwarf called Dwannr some years back. We shared some things in the Mirkwood area then. He used to hum that one in the evenings and he never told me what it was. Do you happen to know that song? I kind of like the melody and it would be nice to know what the song is about.”

Novgorod took the kettle off the fire and placed it to his side on the ground to let it settle for a while and looked at the dwarf sitting against him questioningly.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:05 PM   #31
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Éomeléo espied the lady admiring the sunset. From a distance, she looked not unlike a girl he knew in Gondor. Awful laugh, terribly annoying. I do hope she's not like that, he thought. He gave a shout and she turned to look at him. Explicitly indicative that he was no stalker nor ruffian, Éomeléo sauntered up to her, noticing her wonderful brooch as soon as he got near.

"Good evening, lady!" he said with a big smile. "You, as I, are on this treasure hunt. Won't you tell me your story? It's been several days since I spoke to another person."

He stood there, smiling expectantly, hoping that Valesseka would entertain him; though in his heart he expected her to shun him, and to view him as a deadly rival for this gold. Éomeléo wondered whether it was legal to 'obstruct' his opponents on their path.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:28 PM   #32
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

" Well Glirdingo of Lorien, the last time I saw the Entwives was when they were heading towards these lands. I myself was an outsider to what caused them to do this, but instead of leaving for what is now the Brown Lands, I chose to go north by myself. The ash trees in the northern woods were in need of instruction to protect themselves and such, so, I went. After the Maiar Sauron's scourge upon these lands, neither I, nor other remaining ents know of what became of them. Sad it is. I came to find this event by a broken bottle in a stream I found, and after much thought, I decided it was time for me to see the world again, before I became too treeish."

"I see. Tis a tragic thing, for eventually, there will be no more Ents, or Entwives or Entings if the rest do not come back," Glirdingo said sadly. "But let us cast away these dark thought's and enjoy each other's company while the night lasts," he said, looking up at the Entwife with joy.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #33
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesseka jumped up for her spot on the ground, covered her brooch and humbley examined the well dressed Gondorian's boot-clad toes. She had recognized him to be the man who she had caught shouting at the Sea of Rhûn, and was starting to feel that he had quite an affinity for being boisterous, even if his calling out did make her feel a tad more secure.

"I would tell you my story, good sir, but I fear it would not be as marvellous as your own... I will make you a deal however, that I will tell you about me, if you do the same in return?" Very slowly a faint grin was growing on her face, some bit out of embarassment, but mostly from inexplicable giddiness. "That is... if it pleases my lord..." she nodded, boldly eyeing his shins. She had not expected someone to also head North like herself, but did not find his presense profoundly disappointing.

Lowering her head once more, Valesseka held her arms out in offerance to Éomeléo, "Please... sit. I'm from Arnor, so I fear my story is as long as the wind that carries it from me."

He seemed cheerful enough... but, she figured, he didn't really need the treasure if he could afford garbs like that.

Last edited by Valesse; 08-10-2006 at 09:06 PM. Reason: removing signature.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:05 PM   #34
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"I see. Tis a tragic thing, for eventually, there will be no more Ents, or Entwives or Entings if the rest do not come back," Glirdingo said sadly. "But let us cast away these dark thought's and enjoy each other's company while the night lasts."

Kafkalina was once again awoken to that thought, if the entwives never returned. It had lingered of course, after the ents had discovered of their disappearance, all ents that she knew seemed to receed back into the deep of their forests, or became apathetic and endangered themselves to becoming treeish. It was also from this that some Huorns accepted to take up control in small patches here and there, and thus being confused for real ents by other peoples. The ents were more solitary now, that was true, and even more a mystery to other peoples of arda.

Maybe this journey was what I needed, to see the forest of this world for the trees again. I guess that this adventure will help make these last years the better.

Glirdingo seemed to be in a merry mood, and Kafkalina took it as a sign of the times as well, concerning the elves. The elves were almost in the same situation as the ents, but of course far better, she thought. Though, as old as the two peoples would be, and their time was slowly winding to a farewell, why not make them joyful ones?

" You are quite right fair Glirdingo, time has been given to mourning for the entwives, and we ents never give something so long to think unless it is worth such long thoughts, and of course, old enttish takes quite a long time to say anything in. It is why I am glad the elves were such kind creatures to teach us their speech and others, or this meeting with you would take a whole age to complete!"

Kafkalina gave a good laugh to this, it was indeed nice to speak with an elve again.

" Ho hmmm, well I have told you my story, would it be fine with you if I ask of yours? How have the elves been keeping themselves these long years? Hopfully much better than us ents."
Old 08-10-2006, 11:04 PM   #35
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

" You are quite right fair Glirdingo, time has been given to mourning for the entwives, and we ents never give something so long to think unless it is worth such long thoughts, and of course, old enttish takes quite a long time to say anything in. It is why I am glad the elves were such kind creatures to teach us their speech and others, or this meeting with you would take a whole age to complete!" Kafkalina gave a good laugh to this, it was indeed nice to speak with an elve again. Glirdingo laughed heartily at this as well.

" Ho hmmm, well I have told you my story, would it be fine with you if I ask of yours? How have the elves been keeping themselves these long years? Hopfully much better than us ents."

"No problem, my dear Kafkalina. As you may know, there are three main settlements here in Middle-Earth. One, as you know quite well, is Lothlorien. There's one further North of us in the great forest of Mirkwood and one over the Mountains which is called Rivendell. We're all rather quiet settlements, but Rivendell seems to get more of the visitors than the rest of us, but perhaps that is because Lorien has a bad name in the countries surrounding the borders and Mirkwood is home to plenty other strange creatures. But, we are doing quite well. Keep ourselves to ourselves really. But I do not know how much longer this peace will last," Glirdingo said sadly. "There's something stirring in my heart which tells me that there is to be great trials in the future and that the time of the Elves is wanning." He looked around him sadly. He had known Middle-Earth all his life. It was his home. He didn't want to leave it, yet he knew in his heart that one day he would. But now was not the time. "Time to put these thoughts to the back of my mind and enjoy the time we do have left."

He wiped a single tear, which was running down the side of his cheek, the the back of his hand and looked back up at the Ent. "But, my dear Ent, I do believe I shall bid you goodnight. Need my rest for the next leg of this race, just as you do. I do hope to speak to you again. This was wonderful and it was wonderful to see one and Entwife before I passed off into the West or into the Halls of Mandos. So, have a good night sleep my fair Ent and I wish you luck in you're journey tomorrow."

After saying goodnight, Glirdingo walked back to where he had left his stuff. "That was quite a nice chat. I just hope that I'll be able to see more of this world before I pass off into the West. Perhaps this race is exactly what I needed. Something to get me out into the world and discover what I can. I believe, after this, I shall take to the roaming life," he thougt to himself thoughtfully. "But for now, I need rest." With that, he sat down and began his nightly meditation.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:50 AM   #36
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

The first night passed quickly as the adventurers snoozed away. The dawn broke with a glorious sunset spilling colour like jewels of orange and gold over the land. The adventurers awoke to a dewy morning, as they readied for the day ahead.

Day 2 has now begun. You have 36 hours to complete your tasks.

Yesterdays favorite daily post goes to.........Kafkalina and her thistle armour!! She will move twice as far as the other adventurers today only.

Players you may now pm me your direction choices.

Oh and don't mind the big yellowish spot on the map.........
Attached Images
File Type: gif Day 1 Favorite Award.gif (11.0 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg Day 1.JPG (82.7 KB, 406 views)
Old 08-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #37
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Instead of continuing on straight (like he knew that some other would do), Glirdingo decided to branch off to the left and see what would happen there. He was walking along, enjoying the warmth and light from the sun, taking rests here and there for food and water breaks.

It was about midday when he was taking a short lunch break when something happened. He was just seraching through his sack for his canteen and a thing of lembas bread when he heard a noise in the shrubbery close by. He straightened up and drew his bow and arrow in the blink of an eye, squinting at the bush where he heard then noise. Then he saw it move again and loosed the arrow and out of the bush fell a hog, female by the looks of it.

It was then that he heard squeals nearby. "Uh oh... I don't think that was the brightest thing I've done," he thought to himself as two hogs thundered out of the brush (male this time) and charged at him. He turned and ran as fast as his feet could carry him. The hogs weren't far behind. He jumped into the air to grab at a low hanging tree branch and hauled himself up on the tree. The hogs thundered by underneath, not noticing that their quarry had eluded them. "Definetly not the smartest thing I've done," he panted.

He waited a little until he caught his breath and was sure the hogs had found their way home another way before jumping out of the tree. "I think I'll avoid that pig that I caught. "Maybe one of the other hunters will pick it up and decide to try their luck with that lot of pigs," he thought pensively.

It was then that he remembered that he had forgotten his things by the dead pig."Again, not the smartest thing I've ever done," he thought, exahspereated. He took his time going back, in case the pigs hadn't returned and decided to charge at him again. He was lucky, they had returned some time ago and he found his belongings and the trail without a further hitch.

He walked along, hoping that the pigs wouldn't pick up his scent. Again, his luck had held out. The pigs, who were trying to find food at that time, had gone back into the den.

"Well, that's the last time I shoot at a bush without first calling out to it!" he thought, a weak smile creeping up as the sun shone brightly on his face as he continued his journey.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:59 PM   #38
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Kafkalina woke much better than she had begun the day before, and traveled with great ease and stride. This soon brought the ent very far, and to a very surprising sight. The fields had slowly been giving way to small hills, which soon seemed to drop off the horizon into a gorge. It was a dry mouth of the earth, with no river, most likely its founder, in sight. Kafkalina stood back and looked down into the great dry casm. In the rocky and deep gorge there were a few points that rose up out of the ground below, and not much else.

Ho Hmmm! What a way to find oneself. I couldn’t walk around this great hole in the earth, and climbing down and across looks to be too much time, it would take me at least four days whole. Hmmm, if there was a way to possibly go from those high points to other high points, I could cut my travel in half with careful planning. I need something strong and flexible, maybe there is a log around.

The ent looked for a log that might fit this purpose. Others might consider felling a large tree to fit this purpose, but being an ent this was highly obviously out of the thought and idea of Kafkalina, as she definitely was not bent with such malice as might belong to the Huorns of Sauron or other fell creatures. Since there was naught but rocks and dry land, nothing but small shrubs and scraggly plants grew to the side of the earth. Kafkalina could not rely on that of the earth anymore, as to use rock and stone however great to fill a path across the gorge would take far too long. This time it would call for a much more demanding sacrifice on the ent’s half.

Oh great earth scourges! Ents were not meant for this! Wait, I think I do have an idea now. Ents definitely were not meant for this, since not all ents are the same tree, thank great Yavanna for that… I am forgetting myself entirely in this matter, and the work I have done for the past two ages it seems. We ash trees must be defensive, for many a woodsman values our bark and wood since we are strong and most elastic for bows and spears. Oh, I sound horrible now, talking of myself as if I was a commodity! Has it really come to this then?
Well, if only for myself I guess I can make such a pole of wood with which to travel. I will need to make much ent draught after this, possibly when I reach Mirkwood. That is, if I ever do make it that far. Oh bless my bark, I hope this works!

Kafkalina then buried her shame at this fact that she would need to take from herself as if she came hunting mercilessly with an axe, and found the ent wine in her bag. Looking far and wide to make sure that no tree was watching this, the ent began to drink the invigorating draught slowly, but steadily. Soon, one of her top most branches along with a few hundred leaves here and there, began to grow rapidly. Soon it was long enough that the ent had to sit on the ground from becoming too top heavy. After a time, the branch had now become a long enough log that with good luck would help her vault from the sides of the small peaks within the gorge. Carefully taking a sharp rock found nearby, Kafkalina readied to remove the branch as quickly as could be done.

Ho Hmmm! Yavanna help me that this doesn’t turn for the worse!

Quickly, and with as much force, Kafkalina removed the branch. The ent slowly arose and felt the top of its head. The branch was indeed removed, and it indeed was painful for awhile. Drinking more ent wine and allowing sap to cover the top of her head, the sharp pain left and was slowly throbbing away, as she prepared the branch to become a pole.

Well, it could have been worse, I could have missed. Bah Hmmm! I don’t need such thoughts right now, time to try this pole. It better be well worth the sacrifice I put into it!

The ent carefully planned out the position of the pole as it scaled down the side of the gorge, and finding a side jetting out far enough, the ent made for the first high spot. Being as flexible and strong as to her namesake, the ent made it with a some difficultly as it steadied itself on the narrow top. Slowly, and with much precision, Kafkalina carefully made it far enough to reach about a mile from the top of the other side. There she decided to walk and climb carefully the rest of the way, and reached finally the other side.

Today had been a trying day, and as the ent stopped to rest, she knew that what she gave in would certainly be able to be rewarded later, whether she was able to reclaim lost land or no.

Last edited by THE Ka; 08-11-2006 at 04:08 PM. Reason: spelling errors of course...
Old 08-11-2006, 08:23 PM   #39
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Waking just early enough to see the brilliant colors of the rising sun, Valesseka quietly started to put together her pack stealling careful glances at the sleeping Gondorian. If she was careful, she could be a hour or more ahead of the nobleman before he could make his breakfast. Éomeléo could stand some more sleep, she figured, smirking to herself. For his beauty rest and my wealth.

Sneaking small bites of stale bread, Valesseka hurried northward away from the river and out into a vast field billowing like the angry waters of the sea. The wind had picked up noticably as she ventured into the plain, which made the burning sun more tolerable. It'll be a shame if that Lord goes a different way... She huffed, hair blowing down in her face, forcing her to quickly forget about her previous thought. With a growl she man-handled it back behind her ear just in time to be hit with a blast from Manwë.

"Gracious!" She gasped, the wind was taking a turn for the worst, and walking was starting to become more laborious than it should have to be, especially with her sail of a skirt. To add insult to injury she could feel her precious face burnning with the intense gales of wind, so the girl hastily pulled her wool shawl over her head and close to her cheeks. Relieved for a moment that she would be able to save her complexion from the elements, Valesseka sighed and continued further into the plain. But her relief was short lived.

Surging again, a mighty gust forced the Arnorian to check her balance, and in the process carried off her shawl. Valesseka squawked loudly and chased after the run-away article as fast as the terrible wind would allow. Just out of reach each time she bent down, or tried to pin it with her stave, the shawl took to the air, then tumbled across the ground only to be tossed in another direction. Valesseka became more and more infuriated at the thought of loosing what would be one of her capes. There are mountains coming! Mountains! I -need- this shawl! I can't give it up! She also knew the longer she chased it around the plain, the longer Éomeléo had to catch up with her... or that the other adventurers had to get toward that treasure, and this, simply, was unexceptable.

Swallowing hard, Valesseka pulled her throwing axe off of her hip and waited for the shawl to tumble on the ground again. Wincing as she did, Valesseka threw the axe soundly onto the shawl, making an alarming gash across a corner, but none the less pinning it to the ground. Mournfully she pulled the axe off of the shawl and put it back on her hip before examining the damage. It would be alright... if one could ignore the gash... scoffing at her own impulsive rescue, Valesseka carefully wraped the shawl around her head and shoulders before pinning it to the rest of her attire with her prized brooch.

Valesseka was sure this meant that she earned herserlf an good sound meal, though cursed that the wind and her poor packing ensured that this was impossible. She would have to settle for jerky.

Last edited by Valesse; 08-12-2006 at 12:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-12-2006, 05:25 AM   #40
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thin-Gloomy was on a better mood than he had been on in ages. The journey to Rhûn had done wonders to him. He was much more fit than before the journey, his normally pale skin had got some colour and though he was still thin, he was not as sickly skinny as he had been. And though he was gloomy like always, the idea of a great treasure awaiting him gave him new strength, mentally as well as physically...

North, north, I wander north
, Thin-Gloomy hummed an old dwarvish tune with his own words, There will be a great golden hoard, and I will be the last man there. River will drown me, wood will cheat me, knight will beat me, beast will bite me...

Thin-Gloomy's song stopped suddenly. Beast will bite me indeed, he thought. He had arrived to a river's fork and saw a huge bear fishing there. It was so concentrated in its food that it didn't notice the dwarf. Thin-Gloomy backed slowly and silently. He did not wish the bear to hear him.

Had I noticed it earlier, I could have driven it way by simply making so much noise that it'd have run away. Now it's too late and there's only one of me and I'm too small to scare it away, he thought, remembering the beorning Barlath who had told him that bears were actually timid creatures and feared humans. And best not to make it angry, by making noise or shooting it, Thin-Gloomy decided, it might have cubs around hidden somewhere and then I'll certainly die.

I guess I'll only wait then. It can't fish all the day, Thin-Gloomy decided.

Hours proved him wrong. The bear seemed to be a clumsy and a stubborn one. It caught only one fish, but didn't give up. If it continues that way, it'll be night before I can continue my journey. I must do something...

Thin-Gloomy walked back to the woods he had come from. He didn't go very far, though. He collected some dry wood and lit a big fire edged with fist-sized stones. He hoped the stones would prevent the fire from spreading further and setting the whole wood in fire.

The trees blocked all major winds, but the air was still moving. And it was moving towards the river fork. Thin-Gloomy climbed to a tree and spied the bear. It had started to grow restless. It had certainly smelled the smoke. Thin-Gloomy climbed down and add more wood to the fire and threw fresh leaves into it. Like the dwarf had expected, there was even more smoke from the fire. He coughed; it was difficult to breath this close to the fire. He climbed to the tree again. The bear was gone.

Now there's only the future forest fire to be put out, he thought. The river fork was too far away for him to carry enough water to extinguish the fire, so he had to wait it to die away by itself. Even though he watched that it didn't spread and threw the water in his waterskin to the middle of the fire, he had to wait for more than an hour before he could continue his journey.

He crossed the river fork from the shallowest spot and refilld his waterskin. He hoped the still slightly smouldering remains of the stone-edged fire wouldn't be able to spread to a forest fire.