The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
How do we stop them?

for unknown reasons there has been a surge in "New" Members trying to sell stuff on our sacred area....how do we stop them?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Yeah, I've noticed that too. I guess all we can do is click the "report post" icon on the bottom of each post, and let the admins delete the thread and/or user. Not much you can do to keep them out without also shutting out potential new sincere members. I wish there was, but I can't imagine anything.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I don't think it's possible to forestall their appearances. All the admins and mods can do is act on them once they tip their hand.
On a related note, I've seen a spate of spammer-looking new user names in the past couple of days- two randomish personal names coupled with a number.

x/d with Radagastly
Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
If you report spammers, we will delete their posts/threads and ban them as quickly as we can.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Note that mods can ban a spammer as soon as it is spotted, but it may take a little time for the admins to remove the post. I try to bury the spam thread by posting to another thread in the same section so at least it's not visible on the main page.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Note that mods can ban a spammer as soon as it is spotted, but it may take a little time for the admins to remove the post. I try to bury the spam thread by posting to another thread in the same section so at least it's not visible on the main page.
Not a bad Idea

also thank you to Mithaden for his quick response!
Old 07-09-2009, 04:04 AM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
We already have the built-in anti-spam barrier when registering, but apparently spam bots get more sophisticated all the time. Don't worry; there are always mods and admins looking in throughout the day, though not constantly, depending on the time zones. We get rid of spammers ASAP.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:23 AM   #8
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Perhaps we can construct a Downer spambot that automatically goes to the spammer's site, but does nothing but offer Tolkien quotes in Chinese.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #9
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nessa Telrunya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Nessa Telrunya
Well, I am a relatively new member and I post a great deal, but I try to say something worthwhile.

People are trying to sell stuff?
Old 07-09-2009, 07:29 AM   #10
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessa Telrunya View Post
Well, I am a relatively new member and I post a great deal, but I try to say something worthwhile.

People are trying to sell stuff?
Yes. Usually it seems to be 'new in the box' (ie- probably stolen) electronic items such as I-PODS and cell phones, but I've seen a few new wrinkles lately.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:33 AM   #11
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nessa Telrunya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Nessa Telrunya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Yes. Usually it seems to be 'new in the box' (ie- probably stolen) electronic items such as I-PODS and cell phones, but I've seen a few new wrinkles lately.
What do electronics have to do with Tolkien? I don't see how they could justify putting ads like that in any forum category.

Yay! 100th post!!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #12
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessa Telrunya View Post
What do electronics have to do with Tolkien? I don't see how they could justify putting ads like that in any forum category.
There is no justification, but they don't care about violating forum rules. Their sole purpose is to make a few posts and hope to drum up a bit of business.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #13
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Neg-repping them with a string of insults doesn't really help, but it's quite satisfying. I'm curious about the lower levels in the new rep system....
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #14
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh yes I do that too .... Though since the system has been reset it doesn't catapult them quite so far down... of course I also report them at the same time...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #15
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Also, when you report a post an e-mail is sent out to the pertinent admins and mods so that even if we are not hanging out on the Downs that day we see our e-mail and generally respond quickly to delete them.

I do wish to take this moment to thank those who do report them as it helps make my job easier.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #16
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Interesting to know the behind the scenes stuff ... I had noticed that there could be a timelag between banning and sending to that abyss and thought it must depend on who was around.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #17
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Evil spammers go away
Old 10-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #18
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eternal vigilance...
Old 10-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #19
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Especially for those who post something seeming innocuous with advertising in the sig....

Old 10-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #20
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Especially for those who post something seeming innocuous with advertising in the sig....
Yeah They actually got me on that one I missed it Alatar however was not fooled
Old 10-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #21
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
My question is, has anyone actually ever bought anything from a spammer? Has this form of marketing ever proven to be anything but obnoxious? And do the spamites ever consider using a spell-check, because rarely do they post anything coherent.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #22
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
My question is, has anyone actually ever bought anything from a spammer? Has this form of marketing ever proven to be anything but obnoxious? And do the spamites ever consider using a spell-check, because rarely do they post anything coherent.
I think, seeing as we are likely one of the last bastions of good spelling on teh Interwebs, that they never give spell-check a thought, as they likely don't bother to read us. They may, in fact, be unable to read our spelling.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #23
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
My question is, has anyone actually ever bought anything from a spammer?
My question is about reciprocity. As these spammers leave a sign pointing back to their caves, how can that be used to send them something...ah...special?
Old 10-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #24
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
On another forum we had a member who replied to one of those Nigerian scam letters and proceeded to have a lengthy correspondence with a gentleman that he baited, reeled in, then released, over and over again, while duly posting the entire interchange. It was one of the funniest things I've ever read. Will see if I find it again.

But yeah, not the most erudite spammers on here...
Old 10-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #25
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
To begin with, would there be any way of making it impossible to register with a nick that consists of both
  • lower case letters only, and
  • more than two numbers at the end?
(still allowing for e.g. skip, Boro88 and autume98, but doing away with spmmr666 and all variations thereof)
I suppose any challenge to actually use their brains (or even be creative) would be to spammers what garlic is to vampires.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #26
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

It's mostly bots, guys. Bots are like zombies. Neg-repping them doesn't hurt them. "You gotta shoot them in the head."
Old 10-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #27
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush View Post
It's mostly bots, guys. Bots are like zombies. Neg-repping them doesn't hurt them. "You gotta shoot them in the head."
Yeah, a good thing about these spam-bots is how they make it clear the day the machines will rise up and enslave us all is well into the future
Old 10-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #28
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Yeah, a good thing about these spam-bots is how they make it clear the day the machines will rise up and enslave us all is well into the future
I like ur post. Thank for sharing. For me it makes perfect sens ... bzzt ... znnnk ... bwwwwwwvvv ...

On the contrary, skip, I find the latest generation of spambots, with their ability to select quotes from the thread and comment on them, rather disturbing. For now, they remain relatively easy to spot, but it is surely only a matter of time before they are able to mingle among us undetected ...

In fact, for all we know, there may be regular posters here who are actually fiendishly clever spambots trying to reel us in to buy whatever it is they have to sell.

Btw, did I ever tell you about Fantasy Flight Games ...
Old 10-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #29
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man View Post
For now, they remain relatively easy to spot, but it is surely only a matter of time before they are able to mingle among us undetected ...
Currently it's a bit of a giveaway when they post in the T-I-G threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narration
As the flames seared her flesh, she screamed in agony– but the scream became an eerie howl, as her body seemed to ripple... then to transform into a gigantic werewolf. The monster thrashed as it burned alive, its fur blazing. As the fire mounted higher it gave a last, spine-chilling howl of anguish before it was lost to view in the flames. A few hours later nothing was left but charred and smoking bones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmmr34
Thank for you your kind thuoghts. You have realy helpd me in my job!

Bless you and have a nice day.

http://online facelifts– before and after

Last edited by Nerwen; 10-07-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #30
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man View Post
On the contrary, skip, I find the latest generation of spambots, with their ability to select quotes from the thread and comment on them, rather disturbing. For now, they remain relatively easy to spot, but it is surely only a matter of time before they are able to mingle among us undetected ...
No one is beyond suspicion...

...and it's quite possible that we may welcome them one day as they will have evolved the ability to write cogent thoughtful on-topic posts (I hope to as well one day).
Old 10-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #31
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

Just had a vision that goes more or less like this:

Spam-Bot: I like ur post. Thank for sharing. For me it makes perfect sens.

A perky Lush appears with a shotgun and shoots the head off Spam-Bot.

Lush: Die evil spammer!

Spam-Bot makes a few jerky movements, sparks fly in the air, then it collapses in a heap on the ground.

Lush blows the smoke away from the barrel.

Lush: That's how we stop them!

Behind Lush the smashed head of the Spam-bot is liquefied and reassembled, T-2 style. Spam-bot rises, and dusts itself off.

Spam-Bot: Thank for you your kind thuoghts. You have realy helpd me in my job! Bless you and have a nice day.

Lush flees in terror
Old 10-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #32
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
White-Hand

Lush wouldn't flee in terror, because she totally knows her movie plot lines. She'd lure that disgusting abomination down to a factory and straight into a vat of molten steel. And the unknown future shall commence rolling toward us.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:37 AM   #33
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush View Post
Lush wouldn't flee in terror, because she totally knows her movie plot lines. She'd lure that disgusting abomination down to a factory and straight into a vat of molten steel. And the unknown future shall commence rolling toward us.
...Bringing ever newer and more sophisticated spambots, some even with a basic grasp of the English language!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost in the Machine
Glad to hear you're using this*: I plan to keep it much more aggressively up-to-date than has been the case in the past, but don't hesitate to let me know if you find errors or need clarifications.
*Glorfindel, apparently.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #34
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The also target OLD threads
Old 10-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #35
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
That is true.

I would like to state here that I am going to become more creative when I report them. Instead of just saying It is a spam bot or something along the lines of that, I will say something more like help help the spam bot is coming help. I might also try and stick a crying smiley thing in there. I would just like to let everyone know.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #36
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
...Bringing ever newer and more sophisticated spambots, some even with a basic grasp of the English language!
That is what's more scary than ever!

I looked at a thread today thinking that there would be something worth reading on it, I though it must be a new thread. It was from 2003! How do these spam bots find these sundry threads and start posting on them so rapidly? It is ridiculous, the rate that these bots are popping up recently!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #37
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
That is what's more scary than ever!

I looked at a thread today thinking that there would be something worth reading on it, I though it must be a new thread. It was from 2003! How do these spam bots find these sundry threads and start posting on them so rapidly? It is ridiculous, the rate that these bots are popping up recently!
Maybe we can send this one into the Red Zone before it gets banned! Doesn't actually do anything, I know, but it's a nice guilty pleasure...
Old 10-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #38
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
Maybe we can send this one into the Red Zone before it gets banned! Doesn't actually do anything, I know, but it's a nice guilty pleasure...
A very good idea!
Old 12-16-2009, 01:49 AM   #39
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ick, those spammers are really getting out of hand. I know the mods are doing their best (and they're doing very well!) but the quantity of the guys seems to be increasing exponentially.

The 'spammer/user' thing is spreading to other sites as well. I have a 'friend' on facebook who keeps sending me these offers for cheap vintage jewellery but is perfectly civil the rest of the time. What's going on here? Is there a massive spamming conspiracy happening? They just never seem to die do they?

But if we think it's bad here try going onto a poorly moderated site and you will find it is almost nothing but spam. Makes me glad that the Downs tries to keep on top of it.

Last edited by Laurinquë; 12-16-2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: custard pie transformation
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:30 AM   #40
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
A brief information from the mod/admin team: All of us can ban spammers, but only those who are responsible for a particular forum can delete the thread. Please be patient - sometimes a thread stays around for a bit if the responsible mod hasn't seen it. It will be deleted as soon as possible.

We too wish we could find a way to nip these spammers in the bud - if any of you know of a technique that works against modern spambots, please do let us know!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote