The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #1241
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand I'd read it

Nice to see you knocking around, Rune!

If you feel inspired to write your own account, I can say in advance that I'd read it...
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:12 AM   #1242
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yesterday I met Eonwe and Pomegranate, in so doing doubling the number of Downers I have met face to face. We went to the cafe where JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter (the bathroom is all covered in fan thank you notes and character tributes), and then they showed me around town. Thanks to yesterday's tour, I managed to find the grocery store without a map today, and even find a post box . You guys are awesome!
Old 01-16-2017, 08:39 AM   #1243
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up Glad to read this!

Glad to read about your meeting with Eonwe and Pomegranate, Galadriel, and that they were able to help you get your bearings!
Old 02-26-2017, 02:49 PM   #1244
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The (un)dead body count rises

Well, this was supposed to go up earlier, but I accidentally fell asleep for half a day.

This week I went on a little trip to England and met Mithalwen and Hookbill.

I met Mith first. We made the pilgrimage to the Bird and Baby, and she showed me around Oxford. She is in real life very much like on the Downs - very nice and supportive and claiming to be less than she is.

Hook has a great sense of humour and is fun to hang out with. He took me to a really nerdy bar, which was filled with memorabilia from all sorts of fantasy/scifi fandoms and made my geek heart melt a little. We had a mini adventure with my umbrella, from which random parts have fallen off and which is wibbly-wobbly enough to make the Doctor proud, but somehow still serves the purpose of keeping rainwater off your upper body and refuses to just die already.

I have to keep it brief here, because falling asleep in the middle of the day means I still have to at least do the prep for tomorrow's lectures. I just want to thank both Mith and Hook for making the effort and going out of their way to meet up with me. Seriously, you guys are awesome! Thanks for the mini-moots!
Old 02-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #1245
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It was my pleasure. I am sure I must have seemed a bit demented uttering such inanities as "and you are real!" in a delighted fashion and dragging you on a somewhat disappointing bus tour (open top in February)..in which the places of actual interest flashed by in nanoseconds - "look NOW and you will see Christ Church quad" while we got to view the many traffic lights of the city at our leisure and listen to an awful lot of Bach.

It wouldn't be a Downer meeting for me without some mixup (never my fault of course) and this occurred when we were trying to find each other after I had gone to retrieve my car - but lack of clarity over station (bus or train) was nothing compared to those which marked previous Downer meetings (which I regaled G with when we were reunited in the Lamb and Flag - the lucky girl). I had lulled myself into a false sense of security having had a clear run down to Oxford from my temporary smial in Warwickshire and the sense to use the park and ride which meant that I was in the right place at more or less the right time initially but it was, perhaps inevitable that something would go awry. I can't believe that Galadriel came all that way for such a short time and I hope to catch up with her again before she returns. I may even venture to the far Northern wastes.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 02-27-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:38 AM   #1246
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420! Lovely to read!

Galadriel, it was lovely to read that your recent meeting with Mithalwen and Hookbill went so well.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:54 PM   #1247
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

A short while ago I had the pleasure of meeting Faramir Jones. He is a real gentleman and a great pleasure to talk to. He was very kind to show me around his home city, and shared some really cool information about it that I wouldn't have otherwise known. Thank you very much for the pleasant and educational experience!
Old 05-27-2017, 08:05 AM   #1248
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril Thank you!

Thank you for your kind words, Galadriel! I'm glad that you enjoyed me showing you around parts of Dublin, which it was a pleasure to do. It was lovely to meet another Downer in the flesh, and to talk with her about other things, as well as about Tolkien. Good luck with your exams!
Old 05-28-2017, 05:32 AM   #1249
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Galadriel55, you are quite the Barrow Downs world Ambassador!
I love reading about your world travels and meets!
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:51 AM   #1250
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
Galadriel55, you are quite the Barrow Downs world Ambassador!
I love reading about your world travels and meets!
My time has come. Muahahaha!
Old 06-03-2017, 01:05 PM   #1251
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
A very good one. I had the pleasure of meeting her for breakfast this morning as she passed through London on the way from Scotland to moots with Nordic Downers. Sincerely worth getting up a stupid o'clock to get the first train to London and have breakfast at Victoria Station. It was lovely to see her again and I hope fate will allow our paths to cross again.

Edit. Just in case anyone concerned it was a different part of London to the incidents last night and I was home and Galadriel was due to fly out long before.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 06-04-2017 at 06:18 AM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:35 AM   #1252
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
So sorry to have missed you, Galadriel.

But very glad that you met three worthy Downers, and that everyone is safe.

(Edit: more than three, and rising!)

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 06-04-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:07 PM   #1253
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Yes, rising and to hopefully rise some more still. I have finally made my way past Rune, and then to the legendary land of moots where I met Agan, Lommy, Legate, Greenie, and Nogrod. When I was there I kept accidentally calling them by their Downs screen names, and now I've almost called them by their real names. I have now been properly initiated into the world of moots.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #1254
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Are you back home now? I hadn't been visiting the Downs until Mithalwen alerted me to movement on the Password thread, so I missed your travel plans, unfortunately.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:10 PM   #1255
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
Are you back home now? I hadn't been visiting the Downs until Mithalwen alerted me to movement on the Password thread, so I missed your travel plans, unfortunately.
Not quite, but I won't be in the UK again.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:03 AM   #1256
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Don't know where or when, but we will meet. Some sunny day.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:45 AM   #1257
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
White Tree

Indeed, we have had the chance to host Galadriel55 during the previous week for several days and it's been worth the wait Or, okay, not saying it wouldn't have been nicer if it had happened even earlier But we've had fun, it was really nice to meet her and now her collection of 'Downers she met has just grown dramatically, I therefore feel safe to claim that this has been a successful 'Downer meeting. Well, I certainly hope this trend will continue!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #1258
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White-Hand Good news

Galadriel, I'm glad to read that you've recently met Rune, and later Agan, Lommy, Legate, Greenie, and Nogrod; and that a good time was had by all.

Glad to read your confirmation of things being worth the wait, Legate.

Pervinca, I hope you can meet her 'some sunny day'.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #1259
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
But we've had fun, it was really nice to meet her and now her collection of 'Downers she met has just grown dramatically, I therefore feel safe to claim that this has been a successful 'Downer meeting. Well, I certainly hope this trend will continue!
I can try with a little help from my friends.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:53 PM   #1260
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

My final Downer meeting for the meantime was with Pitchwife. He and Mrs. Pitch kindly hosted me in their home, with dogs to rival Farmer Maggot's in quality and quantity, and other animals besides. There were no mushrooms, but lots of delicious food nonetheless. And when evening came, I too got a ride in an engined wagon to a flying ferry... or the Old Forest of Check-in desks, where I successfully got lost a couple times before finding a conveniently located Old Man Willow to sleep under.

Weather was tricksy, and tricked us into pursuing the indoor schedule before turning clear. But there was Doctor Who and Star Trek and other geeky stuff to fill the day.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:49 AM   #1261
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
the Old Forest of Check-in desks, where I successfully got lost a couple times before finding a conveniently located Old Man Willow to sleep under.
Apparently the tree was also sleeping at the time, or that could have gone sooo wrong...

I'd like to return the compliments. It was a pleasure to have G55 visiting on the last leg of her grand tour of Europe and its Downers. She was a very agreeable guest and put up gracefully with my great sightseeing plans not surviving first contact with the weather, being treated to musical comedy by myself and a cranky old Yorkshireman, diarrhoeic puppies and my adventurous nightly driving around the airport. Watching and discussing Doctor Who together was much fun. I hope we can repeat the experience some time when we're both a little less sleep-deprived. The Rhine will be waiting!
Old 07-02-2017, 09:18 AM   #1262
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Amon Lanc (commonly known als Helsinki nowadays) sent its Legate over for the weekend to convey birthday felicitations, salmiakki and Czech mead, all of which are very much appreciated (and possibly also to reconnoitre the lay of the land for a larger incursion in the future?). The weather continued to be mostly uncooperative, but as Gandalf wisely remarked, it behoves us to make the best of the time that is given to us (or words to that effect). We fearlessly crossed the suspension bridge of Khazad-dûm, paid our obeisances to Isis, the Magna Mater and St Stephen and discussed the psychologies of tortoises, dogs and sentient lions. Legate was also introduced to our pack of adorable little werewolves, who were uncommonly quick to accept him moving around the house. It was thoroughly pleasant to have him staying with us, and I hope we can meet again in the not-too-distant future, whether in Riesweiler or Helsinki, and maybe then even among a larger crowd.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:20 PM   #1263
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
I hope we can meet again in the not-too-distant future, whether in Riesweiler or Helsinki, and maybe then even among a larger crowd.
Hint hint wink wink?
Old 07-02-2017, 12:31 PM   #1264
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Hint hint wink wink?
Nudge nudge, say no more!
Old 07-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #1265
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Tolkien Meeting Pitchwife

Indeed, as said, I have recently journeyed to Pitch's abode, only to discover it resembles Beorn's house rather than Tom Bombadil's. Being properly introduced to the entire household consisted of meeting dogs both big and small, sheep (including one fellow with impressive horns), chicken, ducks and eventually also the lady of the house. The most prominent denizens were, however, still the dogs, of which there were ten at first (if I am counting right) and that got reduced to "mere" eight during my visit because of two puppies finding new home.

The presence of the furry friends made the place feel very lively, but also welcoming. Pitch now talked about them as Werewolves, but I am not sure - at least one might have been a Seer given how he kept always staring at me with obvious intent to establish a telephatic connection. Among the rest of the pack, there was a lovely lady who always demanded attention whenever I sat down by gently scratching me from under the table, and if I didn't respond by petting her, she started to growl. They were all lovely however, and the whole weekend was also concluded for me with a spectacular walk outdoors with the entire pack.

Aside from the household and its hospitality (I should remark on the host's quality cooking, plus he also took me to one nice local restaurant), Pitch also treated me with a couple of trips, despite the weather's plot against us. We delved into the ancient history of nearby cities and before that we braved the Stairs to Cirith Ungol and the Gates of Mördör, culminating with passing the Bridge of Khazad-dum, in a slightly non-chronological way.

In any case, it was a lovely experience and I hope to repeat the visit in the future. I can only recommend that you all make time for a proper "Pitchmoot" where we can all meet in that wonderful place with wonderful hosts and animal companions.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:21 AM   #1266
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I wasn't able to be there, but I do happen to know that one of the "werewolf" ladies is named Estelyn!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:31 AM   #1267
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
I wasn't able to be there, but I do happen to know that one of the "werewolf" ladies is named Estelyn!
And a pretty one at that:

Old 08-02-2017, 04:45 AM   #1268
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up Thanks for all the news!

Galadriel, a very beleted thank you for the news of your meeting with Pitchwife! I'm glad that he and Mrs. Pitch looked after you so well.

It was also good to read your news, Legate and Pitch, of your meeting, along with Mrs. Pitch and the 'adorable little werewolves'!
Old 08-21-2017, 08:03 PM   #1269
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Personally, I'm just waiting for our first BD wedding, so I can *sort of* justify travelling far and *undoubtedly* spending too much money.

Rikae & Mac?
Eomer & Cailin?

Any takers?
[voiceover] Little did Formendacil know, that one day he would take himself up on his own suggestion...

Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:53 PM   #1270
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Midnight TGEW

I had a surprise visit from a Downer today - TGEW and crew were travelling through my town and stayed the night. Then today we had a nice late breakfast of crepes, partially dropped hash browns and a vicious monster pancake. Now they have driven into the West in a swan-white vehicle.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:51 PM   #1271
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
I had a surprise visit from a Downer today - TGEW and crew were travelling through my town and stayed the night. Then today we had a nice late breakfast of crepes, partially dropped hash browns and a vicious monster pancake. Now they have driven into the West in a swan-white vehicle.
I am so bad. I was so caught up with moving that I forgot to post my picture! Here's Oddwen and me hanging out! I'm the one in red.

20170826_142654(0).jpg

In other news, Laurinque, my boyfriend, and I went to visit with THE Ka since we live around the same parts these days. It had been a year since we had seen Ka, so it was nice to catch up. I didn't take any pictures, but I do have a funny story. We figured out that both of our boyfriends haven't read LotR (crazy because I always figured I'd fall in love with someone who already loved Tolkien, but I digress). Anyway, my boyfriend said that he wanted to join the Downs right then and there. I was like, "You can't join the Downs, you haven't even finished The Hobbit yet!". My boyfriend proceeded to pull the Downs up on his phone and tried to open an account. The security question was "What was the name of Gandalf's horse." He didn't know the answer and as I was crying out, "Don't give him the answer!", Ka had already spilled the beans. So yeah, my boyfriend will be joining the Downs at some point, but hopefully he actually reads Lord of the Rings before he joins. We have no immediate plans to hang out with Ka again, but it's definitely in the cards for before Christmas.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #1272
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Last weekend several Barrow-downers were able to get together in NYC to explore the Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth exhibit that was put on at the Morgan Library. It was an amazing exhibit, and good to see some friends I don't know half as well as I should like. Including meeting the 3rd Downer baby, William.

The question being, is William named after?
A. William Huggins
B. Bill the Pony
C. Bill Ferny

It began Thursday, with Wilwa flying in and then me a few hours later. Then we went to Encataire's and Jon's (who has a BD account by I forget what it is) new place. A more homely place than their previous one, with prime real estate (for a metropolitan area) - access to a roof top, complete with a grill and outdoor furniture.

Friday the 4 of us went to the New York Public Library and we had the most excitable, lovely tour guide Karen. You can tell she loved the library and the subject, she was full of wonderful stories and knowledge about the library, which just made it a fun experience (despite the dreary rain that day). Then Friday night, we went out to hear Enca's Funkrust Brass Band which was like no other brass band I've ever heard or seen and they were a blast. We returned and now joined by Form, Nienna and a sleeping William who came in Friday night.

Front Row: Myself, William, Jon
Back Row: Enca, Formendacil, Nienna, Wilwa, Celduin.
(Photographer, Celduin's husband who was also able to join us for this Saturday)

There were many highlights to this trip, but the exhibit was by far the top. There were so many people wanting to get into the exhibit, there was a feeling there just had to be other Downers there. I don't know about the others, but what stood out to me, Tolkien's artwork and map drawing, it was great to see in person. And his penmanship. Of course the exhibit had some of the cleaner examples of his writings and letters on display, but the way he wrote is like an art form on it's own, so tiny, but so precise and beautiful.

Then the group went out to Central Park, since after the previous day was a bit dreary and soggy, but Saturday was sunny, warm and beautiful. It was the first time wilwa and I had been to Central Park, I'm not sure about any one else.

Even though it's a rather crummy picture of me, it's a really good one of baby Wiliam, so after some encouragement and approval to post, the "Back bench boys" of Central Park:

Wilwa and I stayed for a few extra days after, to explore some other places in NYC (and have a nice barbecue on Enca's and Jon's roof top). And I would probably be in trouble if I failed to mention their adorable dog Topanga, she is a sweetheart (and I hate to say it to Form and Nienna, but she perked up over the next few days after the baby left ).

One of the last things I was glad Jon and I were able to do, was go to the NY Natural History Museum and see the new Titonosaurus dinosaur they discovered. That museum being another place that's a must see if you're in NYC. I tried to get a panorama, but this dinosaur was so huge, they didn't even have a room large enough contain it in (part of the head and neck were poking out the doorway of the room it was in. It really gets you thinking about ancient cultures, and the myths that were inspired if those peoples came across remains of dinosaurs, and mammoths, and 40 feet alligator fossils.

Last edited by Boromir88; 04-12-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #1273
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Very envious. I've been stuck with the unenviable position of having no other members near my location, and having too many commitments to travel. One day!
Old 04-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #1274
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thumbs up

Thanks for the report and photos, Boro. Were there some pages from Tolkien's diary? I understand that the original exhibit at the Bodleian in Oxford had some of his diary papers on display.

Inzil, perhaps some year we will have to undertake a quest kind of thingy and have an Inzil Moot in your part of Middle-earth.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #1275
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Thanks for the report and photos, Boro. Were there some pages from Tolkien's diary? I understand that the original exhibit at the Bodleian in Oxford had some of his diary papers on display.
I feel like there must have been, there were so many samples of his writing I just can't remember where they were necessarily all from, one of the others may remember. My favourite piece was his notes planning out the story after the Fellowship breaks up, seeing how he was so meticulous to ensure the weather lined up through each story line. And his maps and art work were all impressive. They had some of his art blown up huge on the wall which was amazing to see. And Form pointed out that there were some similiraties between Tolkien's handwriting and Tolkien's mother's handwriting which was neat.

It was a great trip and fun to see everyone! I'm so grateful I had the chance to go and definitely plan to make another trip to NYC within the next few years, still a lot there I'd love to do.

And I have a new love and appreciation for brass bands thanks to Encai's talents
Old 04-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #1276
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

It was so nice to see everyone in NYC again! We figured out it was 10 years (!) since we were last all in one place.

The exhibit was incredible. I can’t remember if there were diary pages, but it was amazing to see the handwritten drafts, letters - with Tengwar - and drawings. My favorite displays were the maps and like wilwa, the meticulous timeline chart.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:03 AM   #1277
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Inzil, perhaps some year we will have to undertake a quest kind of thingy and have an Inzil Moot in your part of Middle-earth.
I'll be up for it anytime! And here's hoping certain persons may become a bit less treeish.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #1278
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Thanks, Boro, for posting about the exhibition and the get-together! It's always a pleasure to meet fellow Downers, and the rave reviews of the exhibition make me want to see it very much. NYC is too far away and too expensive a trip for me - Oxford would have been closer, but I didn't manage to get there. Next stop is Paris, and I will try my best to see it there as that's only a trip of 3 - 4 hours by train. (Note to self: Brush up your minimal and rusty French...)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:56 PM   #1279
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
So so jealous, but lovely that you are keeping the moots going.

It sounds like a brilliant exhibit, and possibly even better company.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #1280
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up Looking forward to seeing fellow Downers in Brum!

Just to say that I’ll be arriving in Birmingham tomorrow for Tolkien 2019, and am looking forward to seeing fellow Downers there!