The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2003, 06:59 AM   #201
Lucinda
Animated Skeleton

Lucinda has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmm, anyone happen to be about perth (scotland) this september? anyone? doubt it!
Old 08-22-2003, 08:25 AM   #202
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Wow! two Scots and here was me thinking I was the only one [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2003, 12:06 PM   #203
Pyroclastic
Haunting Spirit

Pyroclastic has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Greetings people! Is there anyone here from UW-River Falls? It would be so great to talk to somebody who won't yell 'nerd alert' when ever I talk about LOTR! *Sighs Bitterly*
Old 08-22-2003, 12:35 PM   #204
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Quote:
I’m starting this thread to give everyone who has met someone from the Barrow-Downs a place to tell us all about it.
Please remember the purpose of this thread - it was not started to hear of those who would like to meet, but for those who have already met to report! There are other threads with locations and suggestions for meeting.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 02:31 AM   #205
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I met Niluial yesterday! (Friday)
She's such a wonderful person. We both met on the beach and we surfed together (well, I taught Nil how to surf) and then we went for an ice cream. Wow, it's so fascinating to meet a fellow Bdner! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 03:09 AM   #206
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

On Friday I met Tarien Ithil and it was great. We met on a great Australian beach and had fun and spoke all day. Tarien actually got me on to a surf board (really I don’t know how) and I actually surfed a wave. It really was great meeting another Barrow-Downer! Unfortunately Matthew couldn’t join us but we had fun anyway! It was sad when the day ended, but I am in Sydney she is in Sydney so you never really know!
Thanks Tarien for the great day.. and the yummy ice cream [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ August 23, 2003: Message edited by: Niluial ]
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:30 AM   #207
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Greetings! I got back from my month-long vacation this past Saturday, so I didn't have a chance to really post this until today. On July 25th, I had the great, great, great, great pleasure of meeting TheXPhial. My parents took us out to lunch, then she and I got about an hour to ourselves. It was a really amazing day (I hope to meet with her again), and it prompted me to really want to meet more of you!

EDIT (so as to not waste an entirely new post to answer the question stated by Samwise below): I live in New York, kind of near to NYC. TheXPhial was not that far out of the way of the path I was taking to go on vacation.

[ August 27, 2003: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 08-26-2003, 12:58 PM   #208
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Whereabouts are you located, Vanima?
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 01:50 PM   #209
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

As Estelyn and Sharkû have so ably described, not so long ago I met both the two of them and, were that not sufficient to glut the worm of greed, Our Revered Founder himself. It was the prospect of such an illustrious conclave that led me to fly out especially for the meeting, which solved the problem of where to go on holiday this summer.

I arrived a day early, and a little before Sharkû. We were picked up in turn by the Barrow-Wight and whisked off to stay with his relatives, which involved food, beer and a lot of conversations I couldn't understand. We had a couple of lengthly discussions (thankfully in English, since my German isn't very steady on its feet) on topics ranging from the Downs by way of various television comedies to how hot it was everywhere, which was absolutely great fun. I was delighted to find more fans of The Young Ones (that's the anarchic comedy series, not the Cliff Richard song) among the longest-serving forum members. We had a late night on the Sunday, and were therefore perfectly prepared for a meeting with Estelyn the following morning.

I'll skip the events of Monday, since they've already been covered. Suffice it to say that Estelyn was extremely well prepared, having got hold of a guide to Trier, which left us with plenty to do other than the all-day pub trip that would have become inevitable had the planning been up to me. Suffice it to say that the day seemed rather too short, and it didn't seem as though we'd been in Trier for more than a couple of hours before we were on our way home. Those pictures by the Porta Nigra are from the end of the day, just before we met up with our respective lifts home.

My impressions of the others were much as I'd expected, since I've had more than a few conversations with all of them in chat, not to mention having met Estelyn in London last summer. The Barrow-Wight is a man who keeps conversations going, not letting other people remain silent for too long. He's friendly and welcoming, always eager to hear what others have to say and ready with his own thoughts or a new subject should conversation flag. As one would expect from this site, he's usually got some idea on the boil, which he's ever-eager to share. He was very generous both with his time and in offering myself and Sharkû somewhere to stay, and meeting him clarified in my mind why this site has become so successful. As with most of the members with actual lives to lead I'm amazed that he can hold down a career, a family and the ubiquitous Downs with only twenty-four hours to a day.

As Estelyn mentioned, Sharkû is a man who speaks when he has something worthwhile to say and doesn't seem to have much time for small-talk. Given a decent subject, though, he can discourse at great length, particularly on Tolkien. We had a marathon conversation on one night when we were supposed to get some sleep that began with a quotation he'd unearthed in the depths of the Histories of Middle-earth (of which we had two volumes between us, taken for the journey). We covered a lot of ground and though we suffered for it in the morning it was an absolute privilege to hear what he had to say. When Sharkû gives his considered opinion wise people listen.

Estelyn is a great organiser, as one would expect. I received a lot of help from her with my travel plans and as I mentioned earlier she made a great tour guide. Also, like the others, she has a lot of interesting things to say and an enthusiasm for Tolkien that encourages that sort of conversation. Her other enthusiasm for RPGs, particularly The Revenge of the Entish Bow is quite infectious, and I came up with quite a few ideas while I was in Germany, although there were mild complaints from certain quarters about the volume of roleplay talk. Estelyn's seldom idle for long, and always seems to be looking for something to do (possibly the source of the boundless energy required to carry out so much moderating work). She also plays some mean jazz piano and can sign her name in music, which is a rare skill.

All in all my trip to Germany was a lot of fun. Not only did I meet three of those who put the most into the Downs, but I had a great time with some fellow fans into the bargain. We laughed, we got lost in Roman tunnels and we Balrog-winged as though the books were going out of fashion. Also we had the opportunity to find out a bit more about some of the other people who spend their lives in this realm of the unquiet dead. I can recommend such activities wholeheartedly.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:33 PM   #210
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Greeting fellow Downers,

I have at last returned from the blistering heat of central Europe only to smolder in the swamp-like sauna of late August in central Virginia. But here there is air conditioning!

PART ONE: Squatter’s Eviction
As others have already reported, four members of the Barrow-Downs administration team conspired to meet on 19 August 2003 in Germany’s oldest city, Trier, a beautiful and ancient community near the border of Luxembourg, and once the seat of the Holy Roman Empire. The venue was chosen mostly because of its central location to all of the participants, but I particularly supported it because it was only 30 minutes down the Autobahn from where I was spending my vacation. Though I traveled 4,000 miles to get to Germany, I only had to drive 60 kilometers to find my friends.

Our journey actually began on the afternoon of the 18th, when I found myself racing through familiar countryside on a quest to rescue a certain Squatter from the bowels of a great flying beast. The winged creature, for it was no Balrog, had landed at Hahn Airport, formerly Hahn Air Base and property of the United States Air Force but now an auxiliary airport for the massive Frankfurter Flughafen. I had worked on Hahn for three years back in the 80s, but it had changed a lot since the Americans had given it back to the Germans. Still, it was not difficult to spot the beast’s lair, and as I waited stealthily outside it’s great sliding doors, I knew that soon my chance would come to snatch the Englishman from within.

Squatter must not have pleased the dragon’s palate, for he was ejected quicker than I could raise my “Lord Etceteron” sign. Though we had never met in person, I knew him immediately by his long, flowing locks and stylish hat (though he would have been easier to recognize if had been wearing his nursing gear). He knew me as well as soon as I approached and gave the super-secret and severely-sneaky BD hi-sign. With greetings out of the way, we proceeded to my car, which, in typical island fashion, Squatter attempted to enter from the wrong side. I wonder if Númenoreans also drove on the left-hand side of the road.

PART TWO: The Quest for Holey Sharkey
Finally free of the flying menace, Squatter and I preceded to drive with all haste toward the aforementioned Trier where we hoped to purchase Sharkû’s freedom from a train of Dwarven merchants. The Old Man had been sitting in a boxcar for many hours, and we were determined to rescue him from his captivity. As expeditiously as possible, we two sped through the hilly Hunsrück (Dog’s Back) region under the shadow of monstrously large, power generating windmills, across the Mosel wine country, and down into the ancient city where Sharkey would soon come.

Typically (for me), we were very early in arriving to the station, so we dropped by the nearest pub for a glass of Germany’s finest product – beer. Unbeknownst to us when we chose the establishment, but certainly not a problem as far as the two of us were concerned, the business next to the bar turned out to be Germany’s second finest product – the Eros Center. Rest assured that we did not let ourselves stray. We had a mission, and we stuck to it (at least once the beer was gone).

Back at the station, after some serious bartering for which neither of us was well prepared, we procured Sharkû’s release and he was left by the Dwarves wandering aimlessly about the platform. Neither of us knew Sharkey’s true appearance, so, in order to spot him we decided to use the Chat Wights Page as our visual reference. Surprisingly, there were no lederhosen-clad, accordian-playing Bavarians to be seen, so we resorted to our only other possible picture of the Old Man - Barrow Comics. Though the sneaky orc-lover had his hair tied back, we found him! Ha! Take that, Trebeck! The day is mine!

With both barrow-dudes in my chariot, we quickly left Trier and drove into the beautiful Eifel region of Germany. There, nestled among high hills where the great Eagles made their homes, lay the quaint village of Kinderbeuern, which we proceeded to plunder and pillage for several long hours. Again and again we raided their cellars, emptying countless Stubis (,33’ bottles) and consuming mass quantities of roasted flesh. Squatter and I did so well in our reveling that the Old Man branded us with the White Hand and gave us incredible magic rings that change color with the wearer’s mood. Wow! (I made that last part about the rings up.)

Our main topics of the night were:
1) Celebrity Jeopardy
2) The Young Ones
3) Who we’d most like to IP ban
4) Who we most enjoyed banning
5) Beer and bratwursts
6) Middle-earth

At last, after such a long and adventurous day, we decided to take a break in preparation for The Meeting.

PART THREE: The Four Downketeers
The morning of the 19th arrived at last, and we three arose to meet the day. Squatter had put on his head a tall shapeless felt bag, which he called a hat (actually, it was the same hat as before), and Sharkû wore a robe of many colors (well, it was really a black T-shirt .). Soon we found ourselves again in ancient Trier, but this time we sought out the crumbling ruins of the Porta Nigra where our tour guide awaited us. Sure enough, when we arrived at the black gates that had stood for more than 2000 years we found what we were looking for – Estelyn.

In no time at all (and for only 5.50 Euros each, what a bargain!), Esty guided us through the city, showing us the many interesting architectural features of the Cathedral (where she helped herself to change found in the baptismal), Basilika (where she sang the “McDonald, KFC, Pizza Hut Song”), and Roman Baths (where she led the procession to the inner tomb). It was in the latter that we were most comfortable, for they resembled our beloved barrow.

Unexpectedly, Europe was experiencing an extreme heat wave during our meeting (41C / 100+ F), so, except for the clammy comfort of the tomb-like baths, we were hard pressed to find a suitable place for the official sit-down part of our meeting. Thanks to Esty’s sharp eye, we managed to spot another underground establishment, and preceded to sit, eat, talk, and laugh for a few hours, during which we discussed many things. Our main topics were:

1) Zones for Ops
2) REB, REB, and REB accompanied by bored sighs from the Old Man [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
3) Bohemian poetry
4) Strongbad – Eru or enigma?
5) Various old television programs
6) Admin stuff too boring to repeat
7) Middle-earth

Eventually, all good things must end, so we returned to the Porta Nigra where we all awaited our rides. Mine was Mrs. Wight who had the pleasure of meeting Estelyn. She took Squatter, Sharkû, and I back to the valley where we repeated what we had done the previous evening. The next morning, Sharkey and Squatter returned to the train station and took off for destinations unknown (actually, they went to Heidelberg, but ‘destinations unknown’ sounded cooler).

PART FOUR: Impressions (in order of appearance)
SQUATTER: A fine fellow with an entire library stuffed under his hat. He has more quotes than an insurance agent, and every one of them it right on target. With such a wealth of information crammed into that cranium, it’s a wonder he doesn’t have a constant headache. He’s quick with a joke, some of which aren’t over my head. Squatter is a hilarious guy with a great sense of humor and a great ability for enjoyable conversation. We had a great time talking about a variety of topics.

SHARKEY: Noisy. Never stops talking. Always interrupting. The Old Man is a great thinker, and I still complain because his English is better than mine. True, his accent is slightly stronger than mine, but he still knows more about my language than most people I know do. Intelligent and funny, and always ready to do a Sean Connery impression. Sharkû is a lot of fun to hang out with.

ESTELYN: A natural organizer. Give her and idea and she’ll have it flowcharted in 5 minutes and a proposal in triplicate on your desk by morning. With grace and ease, she managed to lead us three bumbling trolls through a bustling European city without losing even one of us. Esty is incredibly nice and extremely smart and it was a pleasure to finally have a real conversation (more than one, actually) with her. A lot of fun!

PART FIVE: Back to the Barrow
As always, vacations go too fast, as do meetings with friends. Seven or eight hours was not nearly enough time to spend with such grand company, and I wish that we could get together on a regular basis, but it’s a big world, and we’re just little hobbits after all.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:25 PM   #211
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

*Applause* What a wonderful report Mr. Barrow-Wight sir!!!
I am so glad you had such a wonderful time! It sounds like it was great fun!

So Squatter is as smart in real life as he is on computer *thinks*
Old 08-28-2003, 05:11 PM   #212
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Many thanks for that detailed account of your meeting, BW and Squat. I enjoyed reading about it, especially the daring rescue of the Englishman from the bowels of the flying beast. And pictures, ooooh! So now I know what Sharkû looks like. (Quick, Alk, another Mod for your page!)

That was almost as fun as being there. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Well, not really, because now I'm insanely jealous of you for having all those REB discussions without me. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] For Revenge I will have to make some kind of joke about Lord Etceteron dressing like a postal worker in my next post... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2003, 12:40 PM   #213
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

For all those who were shocked by the nice smile on Sharkû's face, here is the real Sharku, with his pet. Be afraid, be very afraid!!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 08-31-2003, 12:45 PM   #214
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

No-one will ever know how relieved I was that we managed to persuade him not to wear that ridiculous outfit into Trier.

I should be concerned about annoying someone who's inclined to go postal if I were you, Diamond. Still, perhaps this just means that postal workers in your neck of the woods are pretty well-dressed folk.

[ August 31, 2003: Message edited by: The Squatter of Amon Rûdh ]
Old 08-31-2003, 10:21 PM   #215
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I met a fellow BDer while at camp this summer, but I didn't even know it until I e-mailed her after I got back. Unfortunately, I haven't found out her Downs name yet.
Also, greetings, Pyroclastic, I am a fellow Wisconsinite ! If there's anyone else from the badger state on the Downs, maybe we could all get together and have a cheeseheads in Middle-Earth party! That would be quite fun !

Last edited by Orominuialwen; 06-15-2005 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Sweeping party
Orominuialwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 04:45 PM   #216
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

One Axe to Rule them All has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Anybody else live in or near Austin, Texas?
Old 09-01-2003, 06:49 PM   #217
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Greetings, One Axe. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Try this thread: Well, What About the Midwest?. I'm sure you'll find some people from Texas in that thread. Good luck.
Peace
Old 09-01-2003, 08:32 PM   #218
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Quote:
Anybody else live in or near Austin, Texas?
Alatariel does. I believe Austin is where she resides. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 07:09 PM   #219
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

That's interesting, because I live in Brownsville, Texas which is about a 5 or 6 hour drive from Austin. I have yet to meet a fellow BDer, but I'm trying to get one of my friends from school to join.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 02:16 AM   #220
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
I met a fellow-BD-er for the first time Saturday - our own Estelyn Telcontar! And I *finally* have time to post a report!!

Estelyn was in my area for a college reunion, and we were able to get together for a couple hours that evening. The Valar smiled upon me! I was rushing to her hotel to meet her, sure that she was in the reception area wondering if she'd been stood up. But I pulled into the parking lot only to find a woman with a sort of glowing 'BD aura' just getting out of a car. And it was Estelyn - I didn't even need to show her my Boromir notebook. (Actually, she had given me a very good description of what she looked like. But I'm glad she didn't have to wait.)

After she got her things into her room, we headed out again to our Old Market area so we could sit and talk. The weather was unusually warm for autumn, so we were able to sit outside comfortably for awhile. Over hot cider and cream soda we had a lovely conversation, which ranged from being introduced to Tolkien to RPGs at the downs (pouting: I still wanna do a female Dwarf somehow). And we frequently branched off to talk about our families (I have a Leggy-bopper), our hobbies and avocations, and life in general.

I was especially intrigued learn of some lesser-known weapons in BD lore - particularly a type of bow Estelyn mentioned. And I am off to search for the poetry of Vogonwe!

This post doesn't do justice to our meeting. Estelyn is funny, intelligent, kind and gracious - it was wonderful to meet her.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:31 AM   #221
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Let me add my side of the story to Alphaelin's - I'm very glad we had the opportunity to meet! Since I was later than I had planned to be, I thought she would have to wait and am glad our timing was perfect. Her friendly smile made it easy to get to know her right from the start, and we never ran out of conversation topics. The setting was suitably exotic - the Old Market feels more European than Midwestern; it's one of my favorite places there, and the evening was gorgeous.

I took a picture of Alphaelin, which I will add to this report as soon as I have it ready. She's a lovely person and additional evidence that Barrow-Downers are special people not only here but also in real life.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:56 AM   #222
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I was in the Old Market on both Friday and Saturday night. I just missed you guys. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2003, 09:21 AM   #223
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

I’m sorry that we didn’t meet you there, phantom – it would have been fun to get to know you! Unfortunately, I was not able to do any long-term planning, since my schedule for that day was sketchy – and that’s an understatement. I’d previously corresponded with Alphaelin and had her phone number, so that we were able to arrange a meeting at the drop of the proverbial hat. I’ll try next time; don’t hold your breath though, since I’ve averaged a visit to Omaha about every ten years so far – but who knows? I may get there sooner than I think!

In the meantime, you and Alphaelin could get together – let us know about it if you do!
Old 10-09-2003, 10:27 AM   #224
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Estelyn drove past my house and waved.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:43 AM   #225
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Yeah, and she waved down at me as her plane flew over my city. I didn't think that was her, because I couldn't make out the face in the window too well, but she told me it was.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:46 AM   #226
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Sting

I didn't know it at the time, I was still asleep and she didn't say that she would be in town until yesterday. But it happened.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:46 AM   #227
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I met Rowan Earien (a very new member) last week (well, she goes to my school, so you can say that I've been meeting her almost every day!).
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:22 PM   #228
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Cuthalion
Sting

I can resist no longer, though I fear my head may roll for it...I'm off to Denmark in 2 weeks to see my beloved Maika! I realise I'll probably freeze to death...but what a way to go! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Cuthalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 11:08 PM   #229
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

No freezing! I'll make sure of that! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
(*sigh* subtle, Maika, always be subtle!)
Old 11-01-2003, 11:08 PM   #230
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Sting

Ahhhhhh, one week...Helsingor, here I come!!
Maika...can't wait to take the mint-chocolate mousse...and I'm not forgetting the whipped cream either! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2003, 05:23 PM   #231
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Let's not traumatize the baby BD-ers, shall we love-birds? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2003, 05:45 PM   #232
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Sting

Nay, Finwe...I have no intention of doing so!

With that said...to say I enjoyed my stay in Denmark is to say far too little! I am getting one incredible package...not only is she beautiful, charmingly frustrating and caustically witty...but...wow! Can she COOK! Eat your hearts our my fellow male BDers. She's all mine! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Oh, yeah...Denmark was cool too. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2003, 11:01 AM   #233
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I hoped to post this much sooner than now, but with the end of the semester hitting me with full force I am only able now to tell of my wonderful Thanksgiving with Sophia the Thunder Mistress.

Sophia and I first met over the summer at the first annual Midwest Downers Meeting. When I met her, I felt I'd known her for years, so we've continued to stay in touch. I found out in late September or early October (correct me if I'm wrong, Sophia) that she would be unable to go home for Thanksgiving, and since we go to school in the same state, my family adopted her as an honorary member for the holiday festivities.

I picked Sophia up the afternoon before Thanksgiving, and we spent the first evening catching up. On Thanksgiving, we watched the Macy's Parade and rented several movies as our tradition goes. The next couple of days we shopped, had dinner out, went to see a movie, discussed the issues we have faced in all of the RPGs we've ever played in [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img], and I learned to speak Chicken.

My daughter claimed Sophia after, I think, the first night. You would have laughed to see them going around the house like a couple of girlfriends (my daughter is two). After Sophia returned to her current place of residence, my daughter asked about her for two days...very sweet.

Sophia made an impression on all of us, and I'm looking forward to visiting her at her school after the beginning of the year.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:40 AM   #234
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
You guys should now better: Never let me know where you live, or show me a photo of yours. I'm the serial killer your parents all warned you about. Mwahahaha!!! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

On a serious note, I've never met a Barrowdowner, except Lhunardawen(duh!) We've known each other so long, I don' know the answer to "Renech i lu i erui govannem?"

I want to meet a Downer(or Gorthad-dir/wen, if my Sindarin is correct...), but probably not. I'm not that great a host... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

EDIT: Who am I kidding?!?! I'd love to meet a Gorthad-dir/wen!

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:44 AM January 16, 2004: Message edited by: Nilpaurion Felagund ]
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 04:32 PM   #235
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

Huzzah! I met a fellow Bder! She was sitting next to me for weeks in Chemistry before I finally wore my Barrow-Downs shirt and she squealed and pointed. Now, no work gets done and all we do is talk about the Downs and LotR. Yesterday, our professor yelled at us for talking, but it was so much fun to have someone to argue with over the exact meaning of Arwen.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 10:15 PM   #236
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Sting

On Christmas Eve Eve I went down south of the border and met some people. Tinuviel of Denton, her special friend OniGene, and her sister durlossiel.

Tinuviel is a FREAK
Old 01-30-2004, 10:20 PM   #237
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

So I am, and who was it carrying the Bibleman costume around with him? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

The three of us had fun, though the end of the evening got interesting. Burra wanted to hitchhike home, and Durlossiel and I wouldn't let him. So he slept on our couch (rather to my parents dismay) and we sent him home on a bus in the morning.

Show them the rest of the pictures, Burra.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 10:22 PM   #238
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Sting

Leave me alone, freak.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:25 PM   #239
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Show us the rest of the picture, Burrahobbit.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:32 PM   #240
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Tolkien

Man, I wish that I knew or had met other Barrowdowners. *Sigh [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

Amyone else live in Kentucky in the USA?

Anyone going to the Stuebenville Youth Conference at the Stuebenville University in Stuebenville Ohio? It's in the US. Hope so. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote