Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2007, 11:08 AM   #2121
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Perhaps it's a little rough and ready, but I think any reader should be able to see how it works, considering how Ćol's and Eodwine's conversation occurs well into supper while Harreld's and Ginna's is a bit before - as you all noticed anyway.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:59 AM   #2122
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Glad to see your post, Tara.

Things do look a bit jumbled now, though.

I'm wondering if there's some way we can get these posts lined up in more of a timeline type sequence? The latest post with Lys really should somehow go before my "suppertime" post, and while we're at it, Lhuna's post would work more smoothly ahead of Nerindel's. I'm just not sure how to go about it, or if it ought to be left as it is.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:31 AM   #2123
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Maybe we could just insert the more recent posts in the older ones so that they'll be in the right timeframe? Like, for example, you could transfer the post we wrote to the earlier one you wrote for Harreld.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:57 AM   #2124
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
And I could put Tara's post at the end of my last post.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #2125
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Okay, that'll work. I'll take care of Lhuna's post (which will happen this evening) and Foley can take care of Tara's. Hope that's okay with Tara.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:40 PM   #2126
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Fine with me.

- Tara
Old 11-17-2007, 09:04 AM   #2127
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Alrighty! It's done.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #2128
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Thumbs up

FYI - Matrim is in his early twenties and of average height and built for a soldier of Ithielien, though at the moment his hair is an odd off-ish dark blonde and he is dressed in the current Rohirrim working class fashions. HE doesn't mind his name being shortened to Mat, he may even shorten it himself :P

Balvir on the other hand is in his mid forties, broad shouldered and slightly taller than Matrim, his graying hair is also bleached giving a slightly better affect and he too is dressed in the same Rohirrim fashion.

Balvir and Matrim are the only people in the hall who know Æðel as Æðelhild, and they will be very careful not to reveal that little titbit.

Foley is it possible that the lad Matrim is speaking to in the stables is Javan, if you see any problems with how the lad is portrayed in comparision to Javan I am happy to amend.

The serving Maid Balvir is talking too is up for grabs....Ginna... Kara....Rowenna?

Lmp don't worry I haven't forgot Eodwine, I have a post that I will put up after supper (My supper, not game time lol).

Last edited by Nerindel; 11-19-2007 at 01:45 AM.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #2129
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Foley is it possible that the lad Matrim is speaking to in the stables is Javan, if you see any problems with how the lad is portrayed in comparision to Javan I am happy to amend.
Nerindel, I only briefly, briefly glanced through the post when you first posted it. I was figuring it was Javan who Matrim was talking to - he's the only otherr person who'd be in the stables with horses at the moment, likely.

I'll read it through for real this time and I'll tell you if he's in character or not.

EDIT: It looks fine. I'll go ahead and post in answer.

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 11-18-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:09 PM   #2130
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Kara has answered your Balvir, Nerindel.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #2131
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Thumbs up

Ok I have added Æðelhild's post. Thought I better give her a breather and a chance for Eodwine to speak before she went on.

Thanks Kath, Great stuff guys.

Foley I really do think Javan and Matrim will really get on.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:57 PM   #2132
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Sorry about the delay; I haven't been around since Friday about noon.

Lhuna, post # 930 has been incorporated into post # 927 and may now be deleted.

Reminder: Gondorian's refer to those who live in Rohan as "Rohirrim"; those who live in Rohan refer to themselves as "Eorlingas".

Okay, I've posted. What a tangle! Nerindel, tell me if my post's question is unanswerable. I can change it. I didn't expect to go there, but that's just the way Eodwine thinks.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:29 PM   #2133
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

How close are we to concluding this Day? Are there any more posts that need to be written for toDay? Seems like there's plenty going on but people are too busy with RL to post. Who knows what the U.S. holiday might do to scramble things even more? Anyway, will it be possible to wrap up toDay with one more post from each of you (who wants to)?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:08 PM   #2134
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Elempi,

I know not what needs to be accomplished. I know that I am willing to write where anyone else is writing...so, if Nerindel writes for Matrim, I'll write back, but if we move forward, no harm done on my part.

And as for the holiday, I'm going to Grandma's and if all goes well, her internet will be up and working as well as usual. So we can be hopeful.

Happy Thanksgiving, folks.

-- Folwren
Old 11-22-2007, 03:44 AM   #2135
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I've been terribly busy lately and haven't been able to post here. I really don't know what I was thinking when I decided I could write in three RPGs and an inn at the same time... I'd love to write something quite soon but before that I maybe have to reread everything, I must say I'm quite confused with all this Adelhild-business... (Modtryth and Cnebba don't know anything of it, either, but I still think I should be a bit more informed.) I hope I'll be able to write something this weekend or something like that...

You've been writing great posts, everyone.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:05 PM   #2136
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Modtryth doesn't have to know what's going on with Ćđelhild. It might be interesting to have some interaction with someone who DOESN'T know anything about it.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:08 PM   #2137
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Nerindil, I love your posts! They're so interesting to read - I'm so glad you're here writing again.

I just wanted to say that.

-- Folwren
Old 11-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #2138
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm still waiting for Nerindel to post Ćđelhild's reply to Eodwine. Until that happens I can't really post for Eodwine unless their conversation gets interrupted by some event, which I suppose I can create. Okay, if Nerindel has not posted by the end of tomorrow (Thursday), I'll create an interruption until Nerindel is ready to proceed with this storyline.

Nerindel, if you know you can't post by the end of tomorrow, please let me know so we can figure out a way to move forward.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:08 PM   #2139
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

You must forgive me, all, for causing a stir, but I believe, Elempi, I have made your interruption for you.

I apologize for its length. I wanted to do the leading up to it proper like.

Enjoy, and don't let Javan get killed...not yet...he might be later by his brother or Eodwine or Leof or whoever else gets him first, but I don't want him, well - you'll see.

-- Folwren
Old 11-30-2007, 05:01 AM   #2140
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Aiiii the little prankster is making it hard for the mead hall folks to want to keep him around.

Funny, I was thinking fire too, but in the kitchen; but that's already been done. This is better.

One thing: Rowenna cannot be where you have her for I have her elsewhere in an as yet unwritten post. Make it Ginna or Kara or Modtryth and you're fine, I hope.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:45 AM   #2141
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Aiiii the little prankster is making it hard for the mead hall folks to want to keep him around.
Yes, yes, I fear he is, but he's expendable to me, so I can risk that.

Quote:
One thing: Rowenna cannot be where you have her for I have her elsewhere in an as yet unwritten post. Make it Ginna or Kara or Modtryth and you're fine, I hope.
Okedokie. That's fine. I can change it.

-- Folwren
Old 12-02-2007, 06:53 PM   #2142
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Thumbs up

Hey, Sorry I didn't get back with Ćđelhild's post sooner, me and my daughter were unwell, but we're ok now and I'm back!

Lmp I added a reply for Ćđelhild to my last post for Matrim and it should not affect what you have already written, and after recruiting the eavesdropping
Rowenna to help vacate the rooms she is alerting Thornden.

Folwren, I love it, great post, I just can't help having Matrim jumping right in there to the rescue.

Yes I am afraid he can sometimes be that impulsive. Balvir is the more level headed of the two and will do pretty much anything asked as long as it doesn't take him to far from Ćđelhild, just remember no one but Eodwine and perhaps Rowenna should know that Matrim and Balvir are with Ćđel.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #2143
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerindel View Post
Hey, Sorry I didn't get back with Ćđelhild's post sooner, me and my daughter were unwell, but we're ok now and I'm back!
Oh dear...if I had known, I probably wouldn't have leaped in so quickly with trouble...oh well, this seems exciting enough.

Quote:
Folwren, I love it, great post, I just can't help having Matrim jumping right in there to the rescue.

Yes I am afraid he can sometimes be that impulsive. Balvir is the more level headed of the two and will do pretty much anything asked as long as it doesn't take him to far from Ćđelhild, just remember no one but Eodwine and perhaps Rowenna should know that Matrim and Balvir are with Ćđel.
Oh no, that's great! I used him in the last post, some - it's him who Javan saw before going half, or mostly, unconscious.

And, yes, I remember that no one but Eodwine knows they're connected.

-- Folwren
Old 12-03-2007, 11:00 AM   #2144
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

If anybody gets to posting next before I do, Eodwine will immediately begin freeing horses. Flíthaf, meanwhile, will be bucking and kicking in his stall, roaring his fury trying to break free of his tethers. Will he be successful? Will the fire reach him first? ........
Old 12-03-2007, 11:25 AM   #2145
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I don't believe the horses are tied in their stalls, just so you know.

Aaaannddd...if Flithaf dies, neither I nor Javan will forgive myself. Can't wait to find out.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #2146
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sorry I haven't been entirely active lately (for a long lately...) - but this is much too intense a situation to pass up!
Old 12-04-2007, 07:30 AM   #2147
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

K, I have on question. Can...that is to say, May the stables be saved? In a story, anything can happen.

-- Folwren
Old 12-04-2007, 10:49 AM   #2148
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Will the stable be saved?

Loose hay, lots of wod, open air, a raging fire as so far described, the nearest water all the way around the back of the guest wing of the place. And most everybody's energies are so far concerned with saving the horses, hang the stables. The only way that the stables can realistically be saved is to have a sudden and very hard downpour. How has the weather been described so far?

At any rate, we're going to be leaving Edoras behind soon anyway, so what difference does it make?

EDIT: Okay, I read your post now, Foley. Key question #1: "How long does it take Thornden to create manhandled order compared to how long it takes for the already raging fire to consume the stable?" I had forgotten about the water in the troughs, but that would admittedly not last long at all. Key Question #2: how long a line does it take, and how many people will it take to make the line, and how many buckets? I have my doubts.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 12-04-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:20 PM   #2149
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Well, I had hoped some...but I guess what you say makes sense. However, if the hay was not altogether loose, if it were baled, would it make much difference? P'raps not. If if they hay were slightly damp, it could account for the thick smoke described in the posts, but not provide much flame. However, this sort of fire is dangerous, too, because it is difficult to put out 'damp fires' and it is often deceitful...when you think it's out, it's not and it smolders and lights again...

Weather has not been described, to my knowledge.

Quote:
At any rate, we're going to be leaving Edoras behind soon anyway, so what difference does it make?
Well, the most difference I see it making is the gravity of what Javan's done. If the stables aren't completely destroyed, then to my mind, he just might not be in as much trouble. On the other hand, if they're burned down to the ground, or rendered useless, then I imagine people will be a bit more upset with him.

Quote:
Key question #1: "How long does it take Thornden to create manhandled order compared to how long it takes for the already raging fire to consume the stable?"
Not sure, actually. I was hoping not too long. And I was hoping the fire wouldn't burn too quickly, but I have little experience with such thing. I know how firewood burns when its old, dead, and brittle, but...well...I don't know.

Quote:
Key Question #2: how long a line does it take, and how many people will it take to make the line, and how many buckets? I have my doubts.
I wasn't sure how many buckets to make it. I said ten or twelve, but that could be incorrect. I couldn't make it too terribly many buckets - how many do they keep around the place? As for the men? I didn't think about it that indepthly. Sorry.

So, what I gather from your post - No, the stables may not be saved.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #2150
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

The stables, residence wing, and Hall make up an enclosed courtyard. The well is near the Alder Court. So what looks like a final stall, on the map, must be a walk-through end, opening out to both west and east. It's 20 feet from the end of the stables to the back/paddock along the west side of the residence wing (I detest calling it such a modern term). It's another 50 feet around the back, between the paddock and the building, to the well. 70 feet total is the shorest distance. That would require, at perhaps 5 feet per person, 14 people at the very least. With 12 buckets going back and forth, the buckets spend probably a minute each in transit one way; what's left after all the sloshing gets dumped on the raging fire, then the bucket takes another minute to make its way along the confused line (buckets coming from both directions) to get filled with water. Only way to make this work is for there to be about 100 buckets. Thornden's plan, well meaning as it is, is doomed to failure, because the entire place simply is not designed to withstand a fire. Worse, since the stables are connected to the residential wing, it's a great danger that the fire will spread right into the guest quarters. Once Eodwine has his head, this will be his main priority. I'll write a post accordingly.

The attachment is the latest Eorling Mead Hall layout.

As for Javan, once Eodwine learns that he is responsible for setting the fire, especially from trying out Falco's pipe in secret, it doesn't matter what state the stables are in. The lad is altogether too irresponsible to have around; not to mention dangerous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mead Hall plan 8.JPG (45.1 KB, 518 views)
Old 12-04-2007, 08:37 PM   #2151
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

A-ah. Okay. That'll have to work, then. I hope you're not terribly displeased. lol.

As for Javan's fate, very well. I had figured it must be something like that (at least). After all, this is a rather serious thing.

-- Folwren
Old 12-05-2007, 11:16 AM   #2152
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Nerindel, I'm counting on your Matrim to find Javan where he is. And if you don't, hopefully someone else will.

Elempi, what should happen next? Should we wait for Firefoot and Nerindel and anyone else who happens to come by in the mean time to post before going on and finishing the poor stables off?

-- Folwren
Old 12-06-2007, 03:25 AM   #2153
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I think so. In my last post I considered narrating the end-game, but decided to hold off. Let's see what a day or two brings. Nerindel? Firefoot? Noggie? Lommy? Lhuna?

Firefoot! What a post! (I didn't get a chance to read it until now) Please don't kill off Léof! What's going to happen?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 12-06-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #2154
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay, Elempi, I agree - we'll hold off a couple days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Firefoot! What a post! (I didn't get a chance to read it until now) Please don't kill off Léof! What's going to happen?
My thoughts exactly. Though, I have read the post all the way through.

-- Folwren
Old 12-06-2007, 01:02 PM   #2155
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Ooh! This is so exciting. Great posts, everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
I think so. In my last post I considered narrating the end-game, but decided to hold off. Let's see what a day or two brings. Nerindel? Firefoot? Noggie? Lommy? Lhuna?
I won't be able to do anything before early next week. If there's something I could post and I have time to post, I might write something, but don't count on that...
Old 12-07-2007, 09:40 PM   #2156
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Kill him off? Have no worries!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:04 PM   #2157
Iras Sabir
Pile O'Bones

Iras Sabir has just left Hobbiton.
I was wondering what it took to start RP on this level? I am a old hand at RPs, but i've never been on this site before.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:09 PM   #2158
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

This is a more controlled rp environment than you may find at some sites. You're required to start at The Shire forum. Read the rules ("stickies") and then you can post in The Golden Perch forum. Contact Piosenniel if you have any questions. Good luck!
Old 12-08-2007, 04:34 AM   #2159
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm going to be very busy this week. We have a university-wide caroling competition on Friday, which means we'll have practices everyday, plus I'll be having a couple of exams. I'm sorry to be missing all this.

I need an early morning (game time) for a post for Ginna, but I'll probably just have that editted in if a new day begins while I'm absent.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 12-08-2007 at 04:37 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:13 PM   #2160
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I do understand that if Thornden stops Leof from saving Herefola he may never be forgiven, but I'm willing to put up with that...I guess.

Anyway, there are several things that could happen - Eodwine could stop Thornden, or Leof could be faster than Thornden thought and already be on his way out with a horse, or Leof could have already passed out, or something else that I'm not thinking of and someone else comes up with could happen and I'd be more than happy.

By the way, before Leof came in, Javan let out three horses, I believe, and just let them run free, so maybe Leof miscounted or didn't realize he had done that? I just wanted to throw that out there in case Firefoot didn't realize it.

-- Folwren