Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2008, 07:54 AM   #2241
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Blamed woman. Ruining all my beautiful plans of fun and adventure.

Well, there he is. This should be fun. Interesting, at least.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:52 PM   #2242
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Foley, whereas "shut up" gave me fits of laughter, it isn't quite right for Rowenna. So please put this in its place and I'll be happy.

"Of course I do," was the curt rejoinder.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #2243
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Half a minute and it will be done.

-- Folwren
Old 01-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #2244
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Well there's something of a post there. I want to try and get hold of Lhuna and see if she has time to write something from Ginna's POV. If not I'll just carry it on in a bit.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #2245
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Alrighty. This is an interesting situation, as I predicted. I'll wait for a couple other people to post before posting next. I don't know what to post until quite later in the evening of this Day, actually...as of now. I have little doubt something will come up for me to do before then.

I've one question, Elempi - how is Javan tied up? Is he spread eagled? Or otherwise?
Old 01-20-2008, 08:21 AM   #2246
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
He has been trussed up between two trees to keep his hands apart. Therefore he will be unable to untie himself. Same for his legs. All he can do until he is confronted again by Eodwine is think upon his plight.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:42 AM   #2247
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Aye. He'll think about that a lot...and about other things.

I half wish you didn't tell me that Eodwine was going to come back to him again. I half knew it, but now that it's a certainty, I'm going to bite my nails and worry about it until it happens. And that might be a while!

-- Folwren
Old 01-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #2248
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Aye. He'll think about that a lot...and about other things.

I half wish you didn't tell me that Eodwine was going to come back to him again. I half knew it, but now that it's a certainty, I'm going to bite my nails and worry about it until it happens. And that might be a while!

-- Folwren
Snicker.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #2249
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Leof was placed in charge of the "horses and other livestock"... what else is there? A cow, I think, and chickens??

And is Leof on his own, or would someone like to help? Did Lys come with (Tara hasn't logged on for a good month though...)?

I'm going to be working on a post now, but can edit if my assumptions are wrong.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #2250
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Snicker.
Oh! You're so mean!

Firefoot, Lys would have come, unless I am very greatly mistaken. He's Thornden's charge. He should be able to help you some. And pretty much anybody who's not working on something that has to be done just then will probably be able to lend a hand - they're in Rohan, I imagine everyone can handle a horse briefly.

Thornden wants to help construct the baker and the kitchen, otherwise I'd offer his services. Sorry.

-- Folwren
Old 01-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #2251
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Oh! You're so mean!

Firefoot, Lys would have come, unless I am very greatly mistaken. He's Thornden's charge. He should be able to help you some. And pretty much anybody who's not working on something that has to be done just then will probably be able to lend a hand - they're in Rohan, I imagine everyone can handle a horse briefly.

Thornden wants to help construct the baker and the kitchen, otherwise I'd offer his services. Sorry.

-- Folwren
"Yes" to everything in Foley's last post.

EDIT: Great post, Foley! Really good! Grimlin, eh?

There should be enough rope.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 01-21-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #2252
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Firefoot: I ended my post with a suggestion to Léof. Feel free to accept or deny it.

Others: Will there be someone who would wish to take a glance at the ruins for the ridgepole? Stigend and Garstan are going but if they find it in good enough condition they might need help to carry it (they can sure call for help then also).

lmp: if you have any special finds in mind from the ruins we can just miss them at this point as we would be only looking for the ridgepole...
Old 01-21-2008, 01:22 PM   #2253
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Nogrod, Thornden will be more than glad to help carry the ridgepole over, as well as do any other task you give him - the harder or more strenuous the better.

Elempi, is Grimlin alright? I wasn't sure if I'd heard it before or what. I almost put down Grima, but that has a bad conotation to it, what with Wormtongue and all...

-- Folwren
Old 01-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #2254
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Alrighty! Who's posting next? Firefoot? Thinlomien? Kath? Lhuna?
Old 01-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #2255
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I will be posting with a conversation between Kara and Ginna in a bit, probably tomorrow though it may be Saturday.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #2256
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

The fence, I'm thinking, while not burned like the buildings, is dilapidated, and has many parts missing, having been removed by opportunists who needed easy wood.

Foley and I have written one PM post, a conversation between Eodwine and Javan, which I will save until it fits with the time of Day, which is supper time.

Meantime, she and I will begin another one, because the conversation is not finished.

So feel free to post as much as you like, and to move time along as much as you like, too.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #2257
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Okay I'll carry us from that Firefoot.

I'll try it tomorrow but I can't promise at least yet.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:56 PM   #2258
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Meantime, she and I will begin another one, because the conversation is not finished.
Marvelous. PM posts are fun, but you make one think hard.....especially in Javan's place.

Quote:
So feel free to post as much as you like, and to move time along as much as you like, too.
Thank you. Nogrod (and anyone else who knows the technical business side of all this), I'd like to have Thornden go cut down a tree. Is this doable? Do you need small-ish trees cut for the posts and beems and whatnot for your baker? I'm picturing trees about three to four inches in diameter being used for the upright posts. What are your thougths?

-- Foley

P.S. Elempi, disregarding the sarcasm above, I am ready to begin whenever you are, and I am looking forward to it, too.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #2259
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Palantir-Green

Quote:
Thank you. Nogrod (and anyone else who knows the technical business side of all this), I'd like to have Thornden go cut down a tree. Is this doable? Do you need small-ish trees cut for the posts and beems and whatnot for your baker? I'm picturing trees about three to four inches in diameter being used for the upright posts. What are your thougths?
Nogrod says "yes, go on". And he's writing a reply atm.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #2260
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

lmp: if you think that's an opening against your wishes please tell me and I'll change it...

Firefoot & Foley: Everything's all right?
Old 01-25-2008, 10:23 PM   #2261
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot View Post
Leof was placed in charge of the "horses and other livestock"... what else is there? A cow, I think, and chickens??
I meant to answer this earlier but forgot to. The livestock consist of a number of head of cattle, chickens, and pigs. I don't care how many, but certainly more than two cattle and two pigs, and at least a half dozen chickens and one cock.

Noggie, your post gave the perfect opening for the kind of post I wanted to write next for Eodwine. I wasn't sure how I was going to pull it off, and lo and behold, you gave me the perfect opening. Nice work!
Old 01-26-2008, 07:37 PM   #2262
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Nogrod, one request of change only - when Stigend calls Thornden and Thornden replies with “Now what is it?” it sounds like he's impatient and grumpy. Please change it to simply "What is it?" O-or.......better yet, if he's already near Leof, he likely sees what's going on and has heard Leof's call and knows that he needs help......so! How 'bout it is changed thusly:

Quote:
“I’m at the corner! Wait!” called Léof as he reached the actual corner of the house. “The corner is still intact here as it has not being burnt down! I need help! I can’t hoist this over it myself”

“Thornden!” Stigend yelled out aloud wishing to hear a reply.

"I'm here!" came the answer from near enough and from the direction Léof was in. "I'll help him..." Stigend couldn’t see Thornden from behind the cloud of ashes their advance had produced but he realised he was near Léof.
That alright? (<- Sweet smile.)

EDIT: Elempi, let me know if I handled Eodwine's feelings and appearence incorrectly.

Last edited by Folwren; 01-26-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:44 AM   #2263
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

"terribly terribly wrong" seems a bit much. "not quite right" would be better, in my opinion.

In my mind's eye Eodwine's posture wasn't THAT much different, but if ANY postural change in Eodwine is going to seem important to Thornden, then it's fine.

Both point above are cautions not to overstate things, because they may raise the bar too high too soon. It's hard to build much of a crescendo from forte, if you know what I mean.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:31 AM   #2264
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

I edited my post as you asked Foley. Sorry but I'm not too confident with nuances although now after you said it I do see Thornden sounded a bit grumpy there... I also changed some other details from the latter part of the post as well to make it look a bit more logical...

I'll make a brief post to make Stigend answer lord Eodwine so that you can take it from there.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #2265
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Both point above are cautions not to overstate things, because they may raise the bar too high too soon. It's hard to build much of a crescendo from forte, if you know what I mean.
Point is well said. I'll change my post accordingly. I wasn't sure about it, that's why I asked for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I edited my post as you asked Foley. Sorry but I'm
not too confident with nuances although now after you said it I do see Thornden sounded a bit grumpy there... I also changed some other details from the latter part of the post as well to make it look a bit more logical...
Thanks, Nogrod. And don't apologize. You're doing well and usually things are fine.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:38 AM   #2266
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Whoops my apologies, didn't quite get that post written. Might manage it tonight, depends on dinner.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #2267
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Nogrod, you have done admirably in characterizing Eodwine. However, I don't really want Eodwine to come off as having completely "lost it". Therefore, where you have "said not a word" (or something to that effect), I need Eodwine instead to come back out of himself and say something self-conscious but to the point. How about this: Eodwine blinked hard once and cleared his throat. "I am sorry, Stigend. Your news has brought back nightmares from the War, if you understand me."

Also, you have Stigend talking to Thornden as if Eodwine is standing there having lost consciousness. I would appreciate it if you could make it a three-way conversation toward the end of your post.

I would not ask for these changes except that I have a rather refined idea of how Eodwine is processing this, and I need your post to reflect that.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #2268
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

I do appreaciate your points lmp. Will be done in a few minutes...
Old 01-27-2008, 03:48 PM   #2269
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

I hope it's better now.

And do as you wish. Stigend will go back to the ruins if Eodwine tells him to but there's the baker to be built as well and that might involve other characters as well - like digging the ruins would.

If we are in something like early afternoon we shouldn't have any hurry one way or another?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #2270
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

A splendid revision, Nogrod. Much thanks!

Foley, you can have Thornden speak first if you like.

It would be fine for Stigend or Thornden (or both) to suggest that Stigend's mastery in carpentry would be better put to use on the necessary projects, as anybody can go digging through a ruin.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:49 AM   #2271
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Foley, you can have Thornden speak first if you like.
First come, first serve, in this case, me-thinks, Elempi. I'll post if I can, but if you can before me, don't wait up.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #2272
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Posted. Once more, just let me know if anything needs to be changed and I shall do so as soon as possible.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:50 PM   #2273
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I just want to apologize for how long it's been taking me to post... I've been so busy. Tomorrow I should have time though - I'll get a post up then.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #2274
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Post up. Let me know if I didn't handle Eodwine alright, Elempi.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:58 AM   #2275
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Firefoot: I've lived in the countryside sometime during my childhood. You don't basically need to tie pigs or chicken anywhere (and how would you do that?). They stay where they know their next meal is coming. It's also almost as true with the cows even if they might be a bit more persuaded to go and see whether there is something interesting behind the next corner...

The more important thing with the livestock is that you need to guard them from outside: foxes, wolves... and there a rope isn't the best tool.

So I think we might concentrate on tying the horses and to shielding the livestock from predators.

What say you?
Old 02-01-2008, 12:12 PM   #2276
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

That makes sense, Nogrod. Thanks for the input... I've obviously never lived on a farm or even outside the suburbs.

In that case... I wouldn't think that you'd want to put the pigs and chickens in the same shelter as the people. I would suggest converting one of the wagons into a makeshift chicken house, but if more trips are going to be made to Edoras the wagons are probably going to be needed... any suggestions (from anyone)?

I'll be editing my post shortly.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:22 PM   #2277
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot View Post
In that case... I wouldn't think that you'd want to put the pigs and chickens in the same shelter as the people.
In the old times that indeed was the case... the livestock and the people lived under the same roof. And there was an advantage to that as well as fex. cows emitted so much body heat that it was warmer during winters if the cattle lived with you inside...

Surely it was unhygienic and uncomfortable and when people got richer they threw the livestock to their own buildings.

Quote:
I would suggest converting one of the wagons into a makeshift chicken house
I think this is a good idea indeed. And maybe building a makeshift pen for the pigs and let the cows overnight at the corner of the baker? And all these pretty near the baker where people sleep.

There should anyway be at least one person in guard during the nights as long as proper sheds for the animals could be constructed. As I said the animals have more threaths from outside. After they can be locked in somewhere from the predators then all the people can sleep as well...
Old 02-01-2008, 01:32 PM   #2278
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'd suggest just letting the chickens roost in trees during the night. If they free range, the job of catching them at night to put them anywhere (into a makeshift coop or whatever) is going to be difficult, if not impossible...depending on how not hand tame they are.
Do we have any dogs? There should be a couple and if they're of any use at all, they'll at least work to keep watch at night against wild animals.

I don't know anything about the pigs and cows.

-- Folwren
Old 02-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #2279
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

A few dogs might prove their worth in this situation herding the livestock and watching for the beasts that would prey them...

So do we have ones?
Old 02-01-2008, 11:22 PM   #2280
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

We don't have dogs, and we sure do need them! If any of Eodwine's troop suggests that we ought to have them, he will commission said suggester to go find some, even spend coin! (besides, I love writing dogs)