Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2006, 09:42 AM   #281
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Actually, I don't. I love horses, and I wish I saw more of them than I do. Suffice it to say that I read *a lot* of horse books when I was in junior high... that and a snippet of first hand experience because I used to have a friend who had a couple of horses that I rode now and again.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:30 PM   #282
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay. I have finally managed to edit my post. Don't blame me for the ridiculously long delay - I was ready to fix it an hour ago, but my internet has been giving me problems. So, it's fixed, and I hope that it's fixed the way it should be. If there are any problems with what I've written now. . .*sigh* Well, I hope not. Just tell me.

-- Folwren
Old 03-30-2006, 08:47 PM   #283
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Believe it or not, I'm trying to cause trouble again. Please tell me if I misused any character...
Old 03-30-2006, 09:10 PM   #284
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Not at all. Degas is very much the "Let's go save the damsels in distress!" sort of guy. Saeryn's more than happy to assist in the real rescue.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:16 PM   #285
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Good post, Folwren. I've a mind to have Frodides quit on the spot, since she had already given notice. "I can't work in these conditions! You have a new cook. You don't need me! A kitchen without a hall! What will come next, I ask you!" blah-dy blah-dy blah.... Ready, Kara?
Old 03-31-2006, 12:47 AM   #286
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Question

Quote:
Her hands full she simply nodded in reply and moved on through the kitchen to the large wooden wash basin that waited her and the linens out in the back courtyard.
Um, I had always assumed that there was a way out into the rear courtyard from the kitchens was I wrong?

Also I seem to have misplaced Ćđel somewhere, LMP made it clear she was not present in the mock hall and she is not with Leof and Garwine in the stables, therefore to me that would conclude that she had remained in the kitchen to help Frodides, while Kara attended the Hall. therefore she would not be available to fetch her healing kit, not that she has one of her own as she came to Edoras with nothing! even the dress she wears is borrowed from Searyn.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:55 AM   #287
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I thought Aedhel was in the Hall with everybody else...I'll reread when I have more time (must go to work) and fix what needs to be fixed.

As for the other door, I assumed that door was into the inner courtyard. As the Inn was built in the middle of a city, I figured the entire building was designed to maximize the space of the inner courtyard, and that there probably wasn't much space between the building and its neighbors. After all, the door leading into the Mead Hall was blocked off already, as no one was allowed to enter there, and the tent-Hall was in the inner courtyard...so there must have been an inner courtyard door to facilitate meals. The inner courtyard must have been surprisingly large to a traveler who'd been trudging through a tight-packed medieval city. I wondered if the Inn was backed right up to the edge of Edoras, but I doubt there would be any doors out that way, it would seriously undermine the defense of the city.

Anyway, must run.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:30 AM   #288
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I can sketch a map of the Inn-or-Hall-or-Whatever-it's-Called if I've got a clear enough description.

How many rooms, the layout, where the kitchen is in comparison, the stables, the hall... that sort of thing. I imagine it would be helpful to us all.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:45 AM   #289
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

As for Adhel's belongings, I figured in a week she'd started acquiring some few things. And that the healer might have left some basics for her in order to try to encourage her latent talent.

I'd like a map, Fea, and I can turn it into an actual drawing of the Hall, as it might appear to a traveler approaching it (Yay for forcing me back into the art I have neglected). We should sit down with Lumpy (all thanks to Kath for giving me a new nick for him ) and work it out sometime! I think we need lmp to make some sort of call on where everyone was anyhow.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:22 AM   #290
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
I'd like a map, Fea, and I can turn it into an actual drawing of the Hall, as it might appear to a traveler approaching it (Yay for forcing me back into the art I have neglected).
Sweet. I'd have offered to do an artsy drawing instead of just a map, but maps are quicker and finals are fast approaching. Also, I like to see other people's work.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:08 AM   #291
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Nerindel, I forgot to ask: once we find out for certain whether you are in the kitchen or with the company, and if you are in the company, when I edit would you like me to carry you along with the rest of the girls if you have no medical bag to grab?
Old 03-31-2006, 09:26 AM   #292
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Hey all, apologies for my absence recently!

I'll get a post up following Kara's entry into the kitchen soon.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:02 AM   #293
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerindel
Um, I had always assumed that there was a way out into the rear courtyard from the kitchens was I wrong?

Also I seem to have misplaced Ćđel somewhere, LMP made it clear she was not present in the mock hall and she is not with Leof and Garwine in the stables, therefore to me that would conclude that she had remained in the kitchen to help Frodides, while Kara attended the Hall. therefore she would not be available to fetch her healing kit, not that she has one of her own as she came to Edoras with nothing! even the dress she wears is borrowed from Searyn.
Nerindel, where do you want Aedhel? I had thought she was in the stables. But you make a good point about the kitchen having a way out to the back. Of course it would. That would, however, goof up Jenny's little plot twist. But I bet Jenny can think up some way to make it work anyway. Back door in the kitchen there is.

Fea, that would be great. I'd like to see what you come up with compared to what's in my head.

Lumpy! What kind of nick is that? I mean, I have a bunch already. Who has as many as I do? LMP, Elempi, Midplit... now Lumpy? sheee...
Old 03-31-2006, 10:24 AM   #294
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

whoo-hoo, if there's a back door, then away with the chimney collapse! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Sorry, Elempi. I got the Lumpy from Kath's birthday wish in the Shire thread, but as you seem to disapprove, it is hereby erased from my vocabulary. Heaven help us if for some reason I need to use it in a story...

Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and edit for the back door (I'll assume it's onto an alley, and mostly for deliveries, which might explain why all those silly boys forgot it. Except for Eodwine but he's probably a bit distraught at the moment. I fear his pocketbook might take a hefty hit.) but I'll wait to change anything concerning Aedhel until I hear from Nerindel. I thought she was with the party, which was why Marenil commended her. He wanted it to be public.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:05 AM   #295
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

All right. That's edited, and really I like it better. If Aedhel was around, Nerindel, it would even make more sense in the long run if she'd gone with the girls, as they now set out towards the kitchen under the impression that Frodides was probably injured.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:31 PM   #296
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Poor Eodwine.

Well, Thornden is not complying to Eodwine's will very well. Eodwine appears to be quite happy to work by himself, but Thornden's down right refused. Just try to make him stand back and not help.

Where's Leof and Garwine? It might be advisable for those two to get out there.

-- Folwren
Old 03-31-2006, 09:37 PM   #297
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Nice post, Folwren. And it doesn't even look like Thornden can read Eodwine's mind.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:08 PM   #298
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Quote:
Where's Leof and Garwine? It might be advisable for those two to get out there.
As soon as the horses are under control... I'm sort of waiting for Alcarillo to post before I move on.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:54 PM   #299
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

You know, I'm going to laugh when our ladies bring a fresh pitcher of minted ice water out to quench the thirst of the busily rescuing heroes.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:22 PM   #300
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

There is a kitchen garden, a herb garden, and a row of spindly apple trees at the back, accessible from the kitchen. Also a slops pile for compost. Somewhere there's probably a biffy too, but I don't think that has ever been mentioned. The Vikings in York had very substantial outhouses for communal use.

Not that such mention is canonical.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:40 PM   #301
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hmm, since I had an invite to join I've been pondering on a character I might like to bring in for a visit. This might be a slight rogue of an individual - are there any objections there? I'm just thinking of a name, as I cannot settle until I have the correct name!
Old 04-01-2006, 03:51 PM   #302
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Post, post! Everybody's welcome, Lal. I'm a big fan of new characters, and rogues are fun.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:07 PM   #303
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Hmm, since I had an invite to join I've been pondering on a character I might like to bring in for a visit. This might be a slight rogue of an individual - are there any objections there? I'm just thinking of a name, as I cannot settle until I have the correct name!
Yay! Glad to see you here, Lal. A rogue would be great.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:47 AM   #304
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

I'm going to try and get a post out tonight...

But must run now. I get to sing in the choir! Yay!
Old 04-02-2006, 08:53 AM   #305
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Would there be room in the Hall for a wandering jack-of-all-trades/stonemason sort who's starting to rattle around in my head?
Old 04-02-2006, 09:58 AM   #306
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
That'll be fun. You'll have Thornden to deal with if you're too bad.

-- Folwren
Old 04-02-2006, 11:05 AM   #307
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Celuien:

YES!!!! Especially during all this construction, a craftsman would be awesome.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:21 AM   #308
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420!

Quote:
Lovely work, Lal! Great to see you here and with so many characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
Would there be room in the Hall for a wandering jack-of-all-trades/stonemason sort who's starting to rattle around in my head?
Mason! Mason! Next we will be developing secret societies and all kinds of conspiracies! The Eodwine Code!

Actually, I can imagine all kinds of Pink Floyd puns and Johnny Depp allusions now. Maybe I'll have to keep pinching myself to remind Ruthven that this isn't a REB kind of rpg.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:21 AM   #309
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
Celuien:

YES!!!! Especially during all this construction, a craftsman would be awesome.
Okay then. He might be making an appearance in the next few days. I'm working on a name and backstory for him right now. I need to review for any Rohirric knowledge of stonecraft to fill out his background...
Old 04-02-2006, 11:23 AM   #310
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
Mason! Mason! Next we will be developing secret societies and all kinds of conspiracies! The Eodwine Code!
Now that would be something else. Poor Eodwine.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:18 PM   #311
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Firefoot, "dang" must go bye bye. Find something that doesn't derive from the Latin for condemnation. You know, something more Middle Earthish sounding, more Rohirric, okay?

Celuien: Welcome!

mason etymology:
c.1205, from O.Fr. masson (O.N.Fr. machun), probably from Frank. *makjo (cf. O.H.G. steinmezzo "stone mason," related to mahhon "to make;" see make (v.)). But it also may be from, or influenced by, M.L. machio, matio (7c.) which is said by Isidore to be derived from machina (see machine). The word also may be from the root of L. maceria "wall." Meaning "a Freemason" is attested from 1425 in Anglo-Fr. Masonry "stonework" is attested from c.1366.

.....hmmm....... seems rather like it's another Latinate borrowing as like as not .... and does have piles of unfortunate connotations, as Bb has jestingly pointed out.

EDIT:

From Bright's Old English Glossary I derive this:

Mason = Stoneshaper

How's that sound?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 04-02-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:49 PM   #312
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Great posting, Lal!

It looks like you and I have cross-posted, but it doesn't seem to have caused any need for editing. Just one thing: who is Larswic directing these last comments to? Léofric?

And Firefoot, Eodwine's policy as mead hall lord is NOT to charge for food, drink, board, or stabling, for the fees and fines that come to him as lord of the Middle Emnet are SUPPOSED to be enough for the upkeep of his hall. This may come as a surprise to these rogues of Lal's, but so it is....

Looks like Thornden may earn his keep yet....
Old 04-02-2006, 01:18 PM   #313
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Of course Elves spoke Latin.

Quote:
Firefoot, "dang" must go bye bye. Find something that doesn't derive from the Latin for condemnation. You know, something more Middle Earthish sounding, more Rohirric, okay?
Oh, shoot. But it's fixed - hopefully it works.
Quote:
And Firefoot, Eodwine's policy as mead hall lord is NOT to charge for food, drink, board, or stabling, for the fees and fines that come to him as lord of the Middle Emnet are SUPPOSED to be enough for the upkeep of his hall. This may come as a surprise to these rogues of Lal's, but so it is....
Alrighty. (Okey-dokey? That sounds Rohirric... )

Last edited by Firefoot; 04-02-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:24 PM   #314
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Great posting, Lal!

It looks like you and I have cross-posted, but it doesn't seem to have caused any need for editing. Just one thing: who is Larswic directing these last comments to? Léofric?
I'm guessing Leofric's in or near the stables with the lads and the horses. Larswic is offering his 'wisdom' to anyone who is listening - not knowing who the 'gaffer' is at this point, but obviously hoping that the gaffer will also be there and hear what he says.

No problem about the cross posting - I can do a quick edit to sort that out!

The lads are there as help really, and to be generally youth-like and a little bit moody. I'm also playing around a little as their personalities spring in some way from their names . I might use them or not later on as things pan out, but they don't have to be ignored if anyone wants to interact with them - might bring some amusing results.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:52 PM   #315
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
From Bright's Old English Glossary I derive this:

Mason = Stoneshaper

How's that sound?
Sounds good, and far better than having the other kind of Mason show up in Rohan.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:58 PM   #316
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I'm fascinated with the idea of a guild-worker, just now. Just thought I'd put that out there in case I decide that I have the time and energy (ha... ha...) to devote to such a new character.

Lal, if I've misread your character, please let me know.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:41 PM   #317
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Is it just my imagination, LMP, or is Eodwine a might grumpy? I don't know if he is, or if you've accidently added words that always make me personally think of a slightly annoyed/angry/brothered gentlemen. It's not absolutely obvious, but I'm thinking that he's pretty cranky right now. Am I right? Would like an answer sometime before I write a post, but you have 'till tomorrow, because I'm going to bed now. (Confound time change!) Goodnight.

-- Folwren
Old 04-02-2006, 11:53 PM   #318
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Hi all,

First, great story! I've just come back to The Downs after a long absense, and Pioseniel suggested this is the place I should come to first. Although now may not be the best time in your storyline, I've come to ask for a part in this roleplay

I've read all of the story so far, and read the notes at the beginning fo this planning thread. But, while I've got a few ideas, nothing concrete has come to me for a character. Is there any character or part that anyone thinks needs to be filled? I can understand that I won't be able to put my part in till later, as it seems Eodwine has got a lot on his hands!

Tara
Old 04-03-2006, 02:35 AM   #319
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Is it just my imagination, LMP, or is Eodwine a might grumpy?
-- Folwren
Yes, Eodwine's a little put out. Mostly with himself, and quite unreasonably at that. He's blaming himself for something that's really quite out of his control, but this is a penchant that every once in a while will surface in our erstwhile lordling. Once he's had time to think and weigh the matter out, he'll come to his senses. But that should take a few hours at least, and maybe a day at most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taralphiel
Is there any character or part that anyone thinks needs to be filled?
Welcome, Tara. Well, what kinds of characters do you like to write? There are all kinds of possibilities, I think. There are freeholders who owe the new Eorling a tithe. There are working folk who prefer not to have to prepare their own food. There are traveling merchants who need a place to spend a night or three, and I can see them preferring a place where they know they don't have to pay. Or there might even be hobbits who have gotten the wanderlust. Lots of options.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:25 AM   #320
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

I do hope I haven't taken too many liberties with any characters in my latest post, what with all the rogues about.

Seriously, do let me know if this post is not okay and disrupts any plans. And a warm welcome hello to Tara.