The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-04-2002, 03:09 PM   #1
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Why did Frodo go?

Sorry if this has been done before, I did do a search but I didn't find anything.

Why did Frodo offer to take the ring to Mordor? Was it because he saw that they would not agree on anyone else? Fate? Because he didn't want to give the ring to anyone else? What do you think? Is there any evidence from the books?
Old 10-04-2002, 03:11 PM   #2
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it say in the books that at the Council of Elrond, Frodo hears the Ring sort of calling to him? I'd find the quote, but someone's taken my computer-room copy of LotR.
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 03:25 PM   #3
merlilot
Wight

merlilot has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

You have a computer-room copy? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Sounds like a true die-hard fan there. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

But seriously. I think he realized that he was the only one that both could and would. The Elves wouldn't have let the Dwarves take it, and vice versa, for obvious reasons. Neither of those races would let the Men have it, for obvious reasons. Elrond and Gandalf, whom all would probably have trusted, refused it, for obvious reasons. Bilbo and Frodo were the only ones left, and Bilbo couldn't go. So...
The Elf/Dwarf part is rather accentuated in the movie: he was the only one who could get near it besides Elrond and Gandalf and not get beat up.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:35 PM   #4
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
At last with an effort he [Frodo] spoke, and he wondered to hear his own words, as if some other will was using his small voice. "I will take the Ring," he said, "though I do not know the way."
Okay, so the Ring doesn't really call out to him, but it does in the movie (I think).
Quote:
You have a computer-room copy?
I had a computer room copy, but my brother stole it, and I have no idea where he put it, so I can't steal it back. It's been so hard posting without it [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ October 04, 2002: Message edited by: Galadrie1 ]
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 08:51 PM   #5
Catherine
Shade of Carn Dûm

Catherine has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I agree with merlilot. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I don't think I should have had the heart to leave it."
~Merry to Haldir in Lothlórien~
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 10:03 PM   #6
Finandriel

Sting

I think that the Frodo of the Shire didn't want to take the ring, he wanted to remain at peace in Rivendell or go back home. But I think that the other Frodo, the Frodo he becomes by the end of ROTK knew that this was something he had to do, it was his fate. That's why Frodo feels like some other will was using his voice, it's the inner Frodo who is speaking, the Frodo who hasn't come to the surface yet. That's why Frodo's character is so interesting. There's the part of him that's very hobbitish and there's also the underlying Frodo who comes out more as the books go on.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:54 PM   #7
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Why did Frodo go?
I don't think Frodo really wanted to go. In the beginning, he was acting for the preservation of the Shire. Once in Rivendell, he was warned that Elrond would not suffer the Ring to stay there.
Finally, when the group at the table began to debate who should carry the Ring it became clear to Frodo that there was no-one else who had experience with it, no-one else really to trust. Bilbo was worn out, and it was his family's "fate" to make sure the Ring found itself to its finally resting place...

Also, I think what you read coming out of Frodo's mouth is directly related to the power of Gandalf, his ring, and his teachings.
Nowhere else were there beings so motivated as those in the presence of the wizard - they seemed to have the might of old, a stirring of the heart to do great deeds. I think that this coupled with Frodo's interest in travel that made up Frodo's mind in the end. It also could be argued that Frodo was "channeling" the will of the Valar, but we have no solid evidence of that, just mere comments that seem to pop out of no-where.
The saddest part of this is that Frodo really had no idea how much hardship he was in for.
Perhaps only Aragorn, Elrond, and Gandalf understood the weight of his decision. As the party leaves Rivendell, it seems that the only person who shows any remorse or worry is Aragorn, who huddles on the steps with his head tucked against his knees, in a ball.
It's my opinion that he felt not only for himself, but for Frodo and the other little Hobbits that he was about to see into mortal danger. Frodo was just beginning to understand by then...

[ October 05, 2002: Message edited by: Tirned Tinnu ]
Old 10-04-2002, 11:21 PM   #8
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Tinnu, that's a really good point about Frodo being "enhanced" by being with Gandalf etc. - in company like that something inside of him was able to muster up the courage to say the words that would set him on that course of action.

Your comment about Frodo not knowing what he was in for started me thinking, though. Right now I'm leaving aside the question of whether Frodo was ultimately "meant" by the Valar/Eru/whoever to be the Ringbearer - we all seem to pretty much agree that he was; the differences come with the question of whether he spoke up for a reason or whether he did it for some reason unknown even to himself. It seems fairly clear later on, though, that if Frodo HAD known what he was getting into, he would probably have never had the courage to commit himself to it. Same with Sam, Merry & Pippin. They were able to confront what faced them, but the only reason they had the opportunity to do so was because they had no idea what they were really getting into until it was too late to turn back.

So Frodo may well have been meant to bear the Ring because he was pretty much the only one out there who was both innately strong enough in his soul and ignorant enough of what he was facing to be able to pull it off. If an Elf or a Dwarf or even Aragorn had been given the Ring, they all would have known so much about the horrors they were facing on the journey and how tempting the Ring itself could be that they might have succumbed either to the Ring, to despair or to any of the other things they were worrying about before they were halfway to Mordor. But since Frodo and the other hobbits had no idea what was coming next, so to speak, they were able to overcome each obstacle as it arose and not cripple themselves by worrying over what they knew or feared lay ahead (except for that final bit with Frodo claiming the Ring in Mount Doom, but hey, he held out an impressively long time). I think most people have been in bad situations which arose unexpectedly, and only realized after it was over and they were safe how frightening it was, or what kind of danger they were in. The hobbits are like that.

Sorry to be so windy. Hope that made some sense.

- Kalimac
Old 10-05-2002, 04:17 AM   #9
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nope, you wrote that rather eloquently, Kalimac!
Well said, all of it.
I heard something tonight which staggered me, and would add to this conversation. It has to do with being in a bad position and still having hope - which, I think is what kept Frodo and Sam plodding onward.
It's a quote from a book "Blind Corner" in which the narrator has been lashed to a car radiator and left to be burned (as a method of torture).
His quote was one that seems appropriate:

"I have often wondered why I did not lose heart! For my plight was really desparate, and my rescue could only depend on the very capture of the bier; but I suppose a merciful providence heartens those who else would have no hope at all, so that they may not be called to bear too great a burden."

That pretty much says it all for me. Having been in several somewhat plightful positions I know that if you have anything approaching a head on your shoulders, that somehow, hope wins out over all and it lessens the fear that wells up from within.
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2002, 04:35 AM   #10
Nilwen
Haunting Spirit

Nilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

All very good points,but without Frodo takeing the ring it just wouldn't have been such a good book.Don't you think?
Old 10-05-2002, 05:02 PM   #11
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dûm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Tinnu, what you posted has long been on my mind. I mean, Frodo's decision to carry the ring has much to do with Gandalf (even if he- Gandalf- didn't mean it, which I doubt)

I see it that Frodo took every Gandalf's word unqestioningly. Gandalf told him to leave the Shire - and so Frodo did. No-one was willing to take the Ring in Rivendel - so Frodo carries on with his task. Gandalf speaks of pity towards Gollum - and Frodo lets him live, in spite of his previous thoughts.

Come to think of it, Gandalf's words have the same effect on all the hobbits. They take his words literally. Frodo is told to carry the Ring - and that's what he does, little carrying for anything else, like finding the way, meals, his own safety etc. That is taken care of by Sam. But why? Just because of Sam's love for his master, or because Gandalf had told him to? Or Sam's initial intentions were merely strengthened by Gandalf's words? Anyway, Sam is doing just that - takes care of Frodo's needs, supports him, chooses the way, protects Frodo against Gollum (perhaps because Gandalf's words about pity weren't addressed to him) He doesn't care a bit for the Ring, only as much as it concernes Frodo's quest.

Now as for other two hobbits - they don't get any direct 'instructions' from Gandalf. Perhaps that's why they are more or less independent in their adventures.
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 05:49 PM   #12
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Your points are all very deep, and I agree with them 100%. But as to what Nilwen brought up...that reminds me that when I read about the eagles rescuing Frodo and Sam I thought, why couldn't Gwaither carry the Ring? If he left in the fall, he would have got to Mordor before the Ringwraiths were airborn. He could have flown right over Mount Doom and just dropped the Ring into the cone, then flew away without a scratch on him.

This would be a very, very boring book. This is why I am not J.R.R Tolkien. But, I just wondered, did Tolkien ever have anyone make that suggestion but then come up with a reason why it wouldn't work?
Old 10-05-2002, 07:03 PM   #13
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well said Tinny and Galadriel!!!!

It says in the book that It was as it was a voice other then mine (not that it sounded the same) but something was using my will. Porbably the sam "thing" that caused Bilbo to fing the Ring.
Old 10-05-2002, 07:38 PM   #14
Elven Mistress
Wight

Elven Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I just think that he knew the power of the ring was very great, and wanted to make sure it really got all the way - i personally wouldn't trust anyone else with the ring after being so far with it! I would make sure i went, even if it meant traveling to the very heart of mordor!
Old 10-06-2002, 11:40 AM   #15
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Diamond, there is a very interesting discussion on the topic of eagles and the Quest of the Ring on The Great Eagle Mystery. Enjoy!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 02:10 PM   #16
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Thank you! (Runs off to read it). [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2002, 02:32 PM   #17
Bombadilo
Pile O'Bones

Bombadilo has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that Frodo knew that no one else could have possibly carried the ring, for the above reasons. Also, I believe that Gandalf was mildly surprised at the strength and ability that the little hobbits had, or else the four of them would not have survived. However, it was Gandalf who gave Frodo the quest, even though it might not be percieved this way. I think Gandalf knew of no one else that could handle the task, so he let a hobbit do it. Frodo was merely carrying out Gandalf's wishes, Gandalf was the one who set him out from the Shire in the first place. In fact, didnt he do the same thing to Bilbo too?
Bombadilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 06:50 PM   #18
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Thank you for all your imput! Anyone else can still post but just thought that it might be nice to know that yes, I actually did read your posts. Any more therorys?
Old 10-10-2002, 07:48 AM   #19
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Tolkien

At the end of "The Council of Elrond"

Quote:
No one answered. The noon-bell rang. Still no one spoke. Frodo glanced at all the faces, but they were not turned to him. All the Council sat with downcast eyes, as if in deep thought. A great dread fell on him, as if he was awaiting the pronouncement of some doom that he had long foreseen and vainly hoped might after all never be spoken. An overwhelming longing to rest and remain at peace by Bilbo's side in Rivendell filled all his heart. At last with an effort he spoke, and wondered to hear his own words, as if some other will was using his small voice.
'I will take the Ring,' he said, 'though I do not know the way.'

Elrond raised his eyes and looked at him, and Frodo felt his heart pierced by the sudden keenness of the glance. 'If I understand aright all that I have heard,' he said, 'I think that this task is appointed for you, Frodo; and that if you do not find a way, no one will. This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and councels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck?
'But it is a heavy burden. So heavy that none could lay it on another. I do not lay it on you. But if you take it freely, I will say that your choice it right...
Correct me if I am wrong, but I have just read the first two sections of the Silmarillion and I am under the impression that nothing in Middle Earth happens apart from the will of Iluvitar. I remember Gandalf saying something like "There are other forces in this world, Frodo, besides good and evil..." This would imply a higher force (God) who knows all that is happening and directs the actions of all he created. That is why Frodo was chosen to take the Ring. It was the will of Iluvitar.

[ October 10, 2002: Message edited by: TolkienGurl ]
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 03:00 PM   #20
orliz_gurl

Eye

[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] He took the ring to Mordor because he saw it as his burden, his responsabilaty. He knew that Bilbo had already been corupted by the ring so he couldn't bear to throw it away.
He didn't want to give to anybody else because many, like Boromir, would end up using it. He also didn't want to bestow this misery on anybody else. So in the end his only choice was to bring the ring to mordor himself. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2002, 08:37 PM   #21
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

Arwen Imladris, this has nothing to do with your post per se, but did you know that your name means Arwen "Deep Dale in the Cliff"? Perhaps you should change... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 05:05 AM   #22
ilon
Animated Skeleton

ilon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ilon
Sting

It was said first in the introduction of the books that hobbits were a surprising race, being able to rise above difficulties and finding strength when needed. Maybe that what made a hobbit to be destined as the ringbearer. And Frodo would never want the dark reach Shire.
Old 10-12-2002, 09:11 PM   #23
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Ya, I know what Imladris means Knight of Gondor, I never really thought of it that way though [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] . Oh well, I just like the way it sounds.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:59 PM   #24
Gayametwen
Pile O'Bones

Gayametwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

^^ They had two choices, to hide it, hide it well in the deep sea, or to destroy it and end evil forever. Gandalf then said there were creatures in the deeps sea, whose side they are on, we don't knowm the land fromation may change. Therefore they had but one choice: to destroy the One. No-one dared take it, Frodo then took it for the ring was calling for his master. Like most, he wished to remain in peace back to the Shire and play in Rivendell, but all knew that there will be no more days of play if the ring was not destroyed. Bilbo the said "so everybody is saying: Bilbo the silly hobbit started it do he'd better finish it!" Gandalf said the ring had passed on, that is what I think made Frodo take it, or one of the reasons anyway. He knew more then he appeared to know... (that was from the top of my head) And there IS evidence in the books, though the council wasn't the most adventurous part of the book, it has a mighty lot of imformation...but then...so does the appendix. :P