The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2002, 06:32 PM   #1
Luinëcolloien
Animated Skeleton

Luinëcolloien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinëcolloien
Sting What was the saddest?

Forgive me if this is in the wrong topic-room, but I wanted to get some veteran's opinions on this and I was afraid people of that sort don't go into novices and newcomers. Anywho..
What was the saddest part of Lord of the Rings to you? I know it a broad topic, but I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on this. For me, it was the end, with the Elves leaving Middle-Earth and Frodo and Bilbo and Gandalf too. Also, the Tale of Arwen and Aragorn really got to me. Thanks for reading!
Luinëcolloien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 07:01 PM   #2
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

There are many sad parts for me.
The one that affecting me the most while reading, and I really cried, was the chapter "The Choices of Master Samwise". The words that Sam utters when he thinks Frodo is dead and the heartwrenching choice he had to make is enough for anyone to cry.

Others parts worth noting on my part are:
~When I thought that Pippin had died (there was a huge knot in my stomach)
~When Theoden died and Eowyn was seriously injured (though I thought she was dead at first too)
~In the appendixes: the story of Aragorn and Arwen and when it tells of Merry and Pippin's deaths.

I think that it is terrible to read about people dying who have devoted their lives to so much (even if they are ficitional). Every character in the book made huge sacrifices.
I did not cry when the characters went to the Grey Havens. I did not fully understand where they were going. A friend told me that it was a metaphor for death... but after doing some more reading I was relieved to find out that they did not die (not then at least) and it made the ending a little less sad for me (yet still sad because of Frodo's pain).

(Wow, how many times can I say "sad" in one post!)

[ October 06, 2002: Message edited by: Tigerlily Gamgee ]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 07:42 PM   #3
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

For me it's a toss-up.

On one hand there is Galadriel's song as the Nine depart down the Anduin. It wasn't sad to me the first time I read because I didn't understand, but each time it is more so because she expresses the grief of never being able to go home again because of her banishment along with all the rest of the Noldor.

On the other hand, and this one I have to admit is the most sad to me, is that moment when Smeagol watches Sam and Frodo sleeping peacefully beneath the stairs of Cirith Ungol, has just come back from Shelob, and his eyes soften and he almost - almost feels a love and affection for Frodo. Then Sam wakes and shoo's him off, and the moment passes, and Smeagol's last chance at heart-change is gone. The first few times I read that I wanted to yell at Sam. In my later readings it's just sad, because I see that there was never really any chance for it to be different because Sam is who Sam is, and Gollum is who Gollum is. It's just very sad.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 09:56 PM   #4
Evenstar1
Wight

Evenstar1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Good ones, lmp and Tigerlily! (btw, good topic, Luinëcolloien, and welcome to the Downs!

I agree with Tigerlily on the scenes where Frodo sails away to the Grey Havens and when Aragorn dies, but my sadness was more for Sam and Arwen, feeling their pain as they are left behind. And yeah, lmp, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Smeagol: the poor hapless sap who chanced upon the Ring with his friend Deagol, and I got the impression that watching Sam and Frodo sleep was a moment of memory for Smeagol of the friend that he killed for a Thing that took over his life from that time forward.

But I have to say that my Number One tearjerker in reading the books was the whole set of scenes on the side of Mt. Doom. Here, you have two guys who think that all of their friends are dead. Frodo carries the weight of the world on his shoulders and Sam just keeps saying cheerful things to help buoy him up, and at times even resorts to carrying his friend, himself. Then, they finally complete their task and they are standing there, on a small rock, surrounded by a sea of hot lava, just clinging to each other and waiting for the end to come, together. It was both sad and beautiful at the same time.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:20 AM   #5
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Taure Leafsilver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Taure Leafsilver
Silmaril

I think the most touching part was when sam thought frodo was dead. I cried and cried and cried even though I knew Frodo wasnt dead. It's just so wonderful how selfless Sam is. I still cry at that part, in fact I'm crying now [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2002, 06:24 AM   #6
Frieda
Haunting Spirit

Frieda has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Frieda
Sting

Aww...I agree. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I think it's the saddest part when Sam finds Frodo and thinks he's dead. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 01:05 PM   #7
Bombadilo
Pile O'Bones

Bombadilo has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I dont know about you, but Treebreard's account of the Ents and the Entwives was incredably touching and sad. To think that all of the Entwives are gone and there will never again be Ent children. The Entwives loved their gardens more than their fellow Ents. How sad to know that you and your were forsaken because of a garden! It tears at my heart each time I read this section, especially when Treebeard asks the Hobbits to send word if they find any Entwives in their land.
Bombadilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 01:40 PM   #8
Dwarin Thunderhammer
Khazad-Doomed

Dwarin Thunderhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The part when mho leaves the forum...
Dwarin Thunderhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 01:50 PM   #9
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

I think the saddest part was either when Frodo leaves Middle Earth or Eowyn's hopelessness.

I especially think it was Eowyn's hopelessness. I don't think many can relate to her situation - being so miserable, so disappointed, that a painful death in battle becomes preferable to living. At least, I hope none of you can relate. I cry every time I read about it.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:13 PM   #10
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There is one sentence in the Hobbit when I thought Frodo very sad. It is when Sam sees yet hope and Frodo doesn't. Sam asks if Frodo remembered Faramir and the woods of Ithilien. Frodo answers something like: 'No, I'm afraid I don't, Sam, nothing beyond this darkness.'
That was quite sad to me...

Another sad part, besides the ones already told, is when Sam comes to Hobbiton and Bywater and sees al the trees cut or just lying dead.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 03:22 PM   #11
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Pipe

I have mentioned this in some other thread, but I will mention it once again for those who had missed it.
The saddest part in The lord of the Rings for me was when Samwise rescues Frodo from the tower (forgive me, I am horrible at remembering names of places, although this is an easy one) in the shadows of Mt. Doom.
That was the only part of the book that I litterally cried in.
Before that, your heart breaks to peices when you find out that Frodo was not actually killed by Shelob, but is alive and captured by Orcs. You see then that Samwise longs for his fellow compainion and scones his own stupidity for not seeing the realization that Frodo is alive.
Then you are filled with bravery for Samwise when he takes on a heroic role and speeds after Frodo to save the day. After that, your heart is bursting with sadness when Samwise finds Frodo curled up, naked, on a pile of dirty rags.

That was how I felt at that momment....
Old 10-07-2002, 06:21 PM   #12
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that the whole last chapter is the saddest. Frodo being sick and lonley and then leaving ME. Just makes me very sad [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] because I know he will not come back, that is, till I read the beginning again [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2002, 06:52 PM   #13
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with you guys the saddest parts for me were when Sam thinks Frodo is dead and when Frodo leaves ME. I was also sad when I thought Pippin died under the Troll and Merry returned thinking he was going to die after killing the Nazgul. Borimir's death was also a tear jerkerbut he was one of my favs.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:18 PM   #14
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

For me it has to be the way Book 5 ended. I really thought Pippin had died and the situation was just so hopeless.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:44 PM   #15
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

I weep hysterically throughout the last 5 or 6 chapters of book 6 every time. Last time was on an airplane and I got some pretty strange looks...and I am not sure if it is because I know that the book is about to end or because I love the bravery of all of the protagonists in the book. If you think about it, it is in the last chapters that Merry, Pippin, Sam, Aragorn, and Frodo really shine. And, I do not know what the rest of you think, but I truly feel sympathy for Gollum each time he dies. I mean, there was no way he could live without the ring, but I still feel sympathy for him, nonetheless.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:28 PM   #16
merlilot
Wight

merlilot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"each time he dies"

Hehe. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I cry anytime Sam is in distress, and anytime one of the characters with the exception of Sauron and the King of the Nazgul and such dies or is thought to be dead...Pippin, Frodo, Gandalf, the hobbits on the Downs, etc, etc, etc.

I think what I consider the saddest parts are:
-*- when Sam thinks Frodo is dead and threatens suicide...in fact that whole chapter...I love Sam. *sigh*
-*- in the Tale of Years when it says that Merry and Pippin were dead. I got so attached to them, and they almost died so many times I didn't really think it was fair that they really had to
-*- when Merry, Éowyn and Faramir are presumed dead in the Houses of Healing
-*- when Pippin is presumed dead

Is there any character who DOESN'T have a near-death or death experience?
Old 10-09-2002, 04:41 AM   #17
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dűm

Cimmerian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cimmerian
Silmaril

Wow, Elenna. That was beautiful.

I always wished I could jump into the story and be with Eowyn. To have her ride beside me in battle. To protect her and be protected by her. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2002, 07:55 AM   #18
The Squatter of Amon Rűdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rűdh
Sting

Since LMP has very eloquently gone over the scene between Sméagol and Sam on the edge of Mordor, I can only add the ending of Aragorn and Arwen's story. For me it combines the tragedies inherent in the fates of Men and Elves: for Men the tragedy is that they must at some time leave all behind them, but for Elves it is that any association with other races condemns them to bereavement.
The passing of Arwen is particularly poignant in that it gives such an impression of loss. Since she dies in Lothlorien we see her fading and that of the land together, which serves to remind one just how much is being lost; but the scene is also suffused with a feeling of inevitability that lends it a fatalistic air. This is the sadness of total despair.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:54 AM   #19
Loonie

Pipe

Personally, I felt like crying during the scene at the grey havens. However, I did not because one element is there that most of the previous posts have missed; hope. The grey havens is not the end, nor is it a metaphor for sweet death. The large host once again united sails across the seas to live with the Valar. How amazing is that?
Old 10-09-2002, 11:33 AM   #20
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The thing that always gets me is that the hobbits of the Shire ignore Frodo after he gets back. He went through so much, and the other three hobbits all benefit from their adventures, but poor Frodo doesn't. It was just so weird to be plunged back into the Shire where no one seems to care about the great deeds done in the outside world.

And then Arwen and Aragorn. I would hate to be an Elf and outlive the mortal(s) I loved. This reminds me of when I watched "The Green Mile". The very ending, at the nursing home, had me bawling. There's just something so terribly sad about being lonely.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:34 PM   #21
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

Me too Diamond18! Frodo carried the horrible burden and the others (esp. Merry and Pippin who weren't even supposed to go in the first place) got all the credit. I think it's because they were so bent on using violence to destroy Sharkey and his men and Frodo was more anti-violence. The hobbits didn't like that, they wanted to kick Sharkey's butt!
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 10:39 PM   #22
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

I think one of the saddest parts to me in the entire trilogy is the part just after the Ring has been destroyed as Frodo sounds so weary with hopelesness:

Quote:
'Maybe not, Sam,' said Frodo; 'but it's like things are in the world. Hope fails. An end comes. We have only a little time to wait now. We are lost in ruin and downfall, and there is no escape.'
That part is just so sad because you can hear the utter desolation Frodo feels! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2002, 10:48 PM   #23
Foxy_Nazgul13

Sting

The sadest part is when pippin thinks hes dead
Old 10-13-2002, 09:29 PM   #24
Marillanna Sarnie
Pile O'Bones

Marillanna Sarnie has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I completely agree with Diamond18, I was so sad at the end of the books when Frodo was ignored, and in all that pain. Also, the scene with Smeagol and Sam always touches me.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:57 PM   #25
Gayametwen
Pile O'Bones

Gayametwen has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Alas! The end...it was sooo nice, yet so sad... "Well," sighed Sam, "I'm back," or something along the lines.... *sigh* I wasn't..that sad when Gandalf died...I thought of felt...things were meant to be..though I was awfully happy when his "ghost" came bakc...when the shot Saruman and Worm tongue...it was sad..the war in the Shire, how Frodo tried to bring peace....I always get a knot in my stomach when I think about it...
Old 10-14-2002, 10:21 AM   #26
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

When Sam thinks that Frodo is dead is probably the saddest part in the books. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] There are some other serious trauma parts, like when Frodo leaves Middle-earth (I cried, seriously), and when Merry and Pippin get kidnapped by the Uruk-hai. Very traumatic.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:01 PM   #27
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

The saddest parts for me were at the Grey Havens when Frodo explain why he cannot stay in the Shire and when Sam believe Frodo to be dead ("Don't leave me here alone! It's your Sam calling! Don't go where I can't follow!') which have been mentioned. Another part that always makes me sad is Quickbeam's lament for the lost rowan trees. And then Sam's song 'I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell,' causes me to smile behind tears. Tolkien could write so beautifully, so many parts of LotR touch our hearts and lives! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
theWhiteLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 04:32 PM   #28
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

Way late response to Cimm:

Yes, we know how you feel about warrior maids, Cimm [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. But I too sort of wish I could be there to help her.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:18 PM   #29
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

*curtsies to lmp's and Squatter's eloquence*

*hugs joyously theWhiteLady*

It is a treat to read one of your posts again, tWL, for it reminds me just how often I have found pleasure in reading them. You bring a sure knowledge of the books to your arguments, so that I always come away richer for reading them. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bethberry
Old 10-15-2002, 12:34 PM   #30
Fool-of-a-Took
Pile O'Bones

Fool-of-a-Took has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When the Hobbits return to the Shire and nobody gives them any credit for what they've done (surely news must have travelled back by then) always seemed a bit sad to me. It's reminicent of American soldiers coming back from Vietnam and being ignored or abused.
Frodo leaving ME and not benefiting from all the good work he had done also semmed a bit sad.
Old 10-19-2002, 10:52 AM   #31
GildorInglorion
Animated Skeleton

GildorInglorion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Sam discarding his pots and pans is a good compeitor. It's so pue Sam to bring pots on a journey that will change the fate of the world, it' like he i finally givin in to reality.

And of course Frodo leaving ME, an Gandalf going "Not all tears are bad tears" or something like that.
Old 10-19-2002, 11:05 AM   #32
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Frodo on the way back to the Shire, to Gandalf: "I have been wounded by knife, tooth, and sting, and a long burden; where will I find rest?"

...and...

Frodo and Sam as they meet Bilbo in the last chapter:

"Yes, to the Havens, Sam."

"And I can't come."