The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2002, 12:22 PM   #1
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye What is the Necromancer?

I was reading The Hobbit and Gandalf said something about the Necromancer. Can anyone tell me what it is?
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 12:45 PM   #2
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm pretty sure that the Necromancer was Sauron in disguise.
Old 03-30-2002, 12:46 PM   #3
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Thanx. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Old 03-30-2002, 02:44 PM   #4
kementari
Haunting Spirit

kementari has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to kementari
Pipe

Sauron was the Necromancer. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo.
kementari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 06:00 PM   #5
Merendis
Animated Skeleton

Merendis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OK, from Diablo II a necromancer is one who can raise the spirits of the dead. or the bodies, not sure, consulting my Latin dictionary, neco-to kill, murder
mancipo-to deliver up intereting, interesting... and finally the easiest part, look it up!

Necromancer (Deut. 15:11), i.e., "one who interrogates the dead," as the word literally means, with the view of discovering the secrets of futurity

SO yes, the necromancer was sauron, as others have mentioned, but sauron was as stated above

Riding one day in the forest of the Westlands he saw a woman, whose dark hair flowed in the wind, and about her was a green cloak...and he knew her for Erendis...then suddenly he knew in himself the love that he bore her, and he felt the emptiness of his days.
Merendis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 09:21 PM   #6
Doderic Hedgeworth

Sting

the necromancer was Sauron's title in order to hide himself for protection when he dwelt in Dol Guldur in southern Mirkwood. He was then driven from Dol Guldur by the White Council and fled to Barad-Dur and declared himself to Middle-Earth
Old 03-31-2002, 06:58 AM   #7
Olorin_The_Grey
Pile O'Bones

Olorin_The_Grey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Necromancer was Sauron, but was believed by the Wise of the Council of the istari to be one of the Nazgul in hiding. It was Gandalf that 'scared' the Necromancer off, and so Sauron returned to his stronghold.
Old 04-03-2002, 03:52 AM   #8
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Is the story of how the white council overhtrew the necromancer told anywhere? I think Gandalf mentions but does not tell the story in the hobbit, and it always interested me, is it recorded anywhere?
Old 04-03-2002, 08:19 AM   #9
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

no, as far as I know it ain't told in full anywhere, but there are the stories of Gandalf when he goes in Dol Guldur and tries to discover the true identity of the Necromancer... I read them in a book about Dol Guldur, but I dunno if it is told anywhere else

greetings,
Ill-News
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 09:50 AM   #10
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

What was the book about Dol Guldur called? Gandal is so interesting, did he do anything else that I can read about?
Old 04-03-2002, 01:40 PM   #11
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Mhoram has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
"Your grandfather[Thrain]," said the wizard slowly and grimly, "gave the map to his son for safety before he went to the mines of Moria. Your father went away to try his luck with the map after your grandfather was killed; and lots of adventures of a most unpleasant sort he had, but he never got near the Mountain. How he got there I don't know, but I found him a prisoner in the dungeons of the Necromancer."
" -The Hobbit
Quote:
2850 Gandalf again enters Dol Guldur, and discovers that its master is indeed Sauron, who is gathering all the Rings and seeking for news of the One, and of Isildur's Heir. He finds Thrain and recieves the key of Erebor. Thrain dies in Dol Guldur. -Lord of the Rings, Appendix B
There is nothing to interpret, the Necromancer is Sauron.
Mhoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 09:58 PM   #12
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Thanks, everyone. You've all been real helpful. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]