The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2004, 01:17 AM   #241
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
These two persons were very much alike and all dressed in black clothes. Their occupations were alike, but one of them, who was taller, had tint of 'finality' to his. Name both.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 10-06-2004 at 01:22 AM. Reason: spellcheck
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 01:26 AM   #242
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
That would be the Inspector and the Driver, in Leaf by Niggle. The latter was responsible for the transportation to Niggle's final destination, ending his mortal life.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 02:08 AM   #243
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

yes, your answer is correct

Old 10-06-2004, 04:34 AM   #244
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Who was Alf's "prentice"?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 11-19-2004, 05:56 AM   #245
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Master Harper was

Old 11-19-2004, 06:00 AM   #246
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Correct, HI, and nice to see you breathing life into this and other dormant threads! By the way, congratulations on joining the ranks of those who are welcome in Aragorn's court!
Old 11-19-2004, 06:06 AM   #247
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Ah, thank you Indeed, it tickles my vanity to have that additional bright square. Good for me to have it, bad to be vain about it.

Back to the matter at hand, though:

Who she was to wake up at three AM to be, in the long run, dissapointed about it not only because of lack of sleep but due to lost of wonderful opportunity?

Old 11-27-2004, 03:53 PM   #248
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Is it Fíriel? I'm not sure I quite understand the question, but that is the only "she" who is mentioned in connection with three o'clock, as far as I could find it.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:04 PM   #249
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

She was. Word 'wonderful' applied as the journey with elves as it would bring her wonder for sure, not to imply she in any way may have stopped the earth from catching her feet. The ground is yours, m'lady

Old 11-28-2004, 06:50 AM   #250
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Tolkien very amusingly describes the smell of a spell in one of his stories - what is it like?
Old 12-16-2004, 04:01 PM   #251
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Granted, the spell did not smell of Christmasy spices; still, does anyone want to attempt an answer at this season?
Old 01-04-2005, 02:25 AM   #252
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I guess no one is going to attempt to answer that question, so here's a new one:

Who was not the duke's nephew, though he had the same name?
Old 02-01-2005, 02:44 AM   #253
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I'm reviving this question in hopes that a minor works fan will answer it or at least ask for a clue to show interest... If not, I may have to ask a really easy question to get it moving again!
Old 02-01-2005, 04:03 PM   #254
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Both questions are very curious, and I would venture so far in showing interest as to aks for the answer to the former, and a clue to the latter

Old 02-02-2005, 03:45 AM   #255
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

The latter comes from a poetic minor work - clue enough?

The former comes from Roverandom:
Quote:
What was the Man-in-the-Moon doing? Well, he let off a truly magnificent rocket; and after that he said 'Drat that creature!' and also 'Drat those puppies! They will bring on an eclipse before it is due!' And then he went down into the cellars and uncorked a dark, black spell that looked like jellified tar and honey (and smelt like the Fifth of November and cabbage boiling over).
I found that very amusing!
Old 02-03-2005, 02:12 PM   #256
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Smell of a spell - Ah, I must have remembered that!

As for the nephews - I may recall two dukes in 'minor works' - Beorhtnoth (duke of Essex), and Dodinel de Sauvage (same as Doddinaual de Sauage) duke of Clarence.

Or, to be truly honest, I may recall one duke (that is, Beorhtnoth) and I've looked up another one

I can recall no nephews, though. And haven't found any, besides Gawain himself, who is not duke's nephew, but King's nephew. Also several other noble knights, equally Arthur's nephews.

But should I recall nephews at all? I should not, obviously - point being, the chap was not a nephew?

um... I certainly feel like another hint here

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 02-03-2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:32 PM   #257
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Beorhtnoth is the right place to look. The mix-up concerns two persons of the same name.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:21 AM   #258
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

nephews, in-laws and others...

Wulfmær, son of Wulfstan of Essex (Eastsaxon lad, eh?)

Not Wulfmær, Beorhtnoth's sister son of Essex (is he not an Eastsaxon lad as well?)

Old 02-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #259
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's correct, HI! Pray puzzle us with a new question.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:46 PM   #260
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Who (two) exchanged axe blows with an interval of an year?

Old 03-01-2005, 01:59 AM   #261
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I'm puzzled by this question, HI, trying to remember where in a minor work axe blows are exchanged. It must be in one of JRRT's translations, which I haven't read yet. Can you drop a hint, please?
Old 03-01-2005, 02:08 AM   #262
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

hint

One of the two was quite peculiar in aspect of reaction in onlooker's visual brain cells caused by the stimulus the light refracted by the eyes of onlooker's brought to said cells, caused, in its turn, by particular way the light reflected off said person.

I'm not quite sure what exactly I did say, myself, though

Old 03-01-2005, 02:28 AM   #263
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well, before I start searching seriously, I'm just going to hazard a guess here - were the two Sir Gawain and the Green Knight?
Old 03-01-2005, 02:38 AM   #264
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

But of course they were! You may proceed, my lady

Old 03-01-2005, 11:30 AM   #265
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Of which two components does 'News of the World' mostly consist, according to one of Tolkien's works?
Old 08-10-2005, 03:59 AM   #266
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Found it at last!

Murders and football matches, mostly (Roverandom)

Old 08-10-2005, 09:07 AM   #267
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

...late is better than never

Precisely, HI! (And it's still true today, sadly.) Go for a new one!
Old 08-10-2005, 11:43 PM   #268
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Which person of noble and ancient descent was called, quite unexpectedly to both of the participants of the conversation, 'horny old vermint' on one occassion?

Old 08-20-2005, 02:48 AM   #269
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

The dragon Chrysophylax was called "you horny old varmint" by Farmer Giles of Ham.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:58 AM   #270
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Of course, madam Pray proceed

Old 08-25-2005, 02:24 PM   #271
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Which word does Tolkien use to express the opposite of eucatastrophe?
Old 08-25-2005, 04:44 PM   #272
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe Dramatic antithesis.

'Tragedy'

Quote:
At least I would say that Tragedy is the true form of Drama, its highest function; but the opposite is true of Fairy-story. Since we do not appear to possess a word that expresses this opposite - I will call it Eucatastrophe.

On Fairy-stories, Recovery, Escape, Consolation
Old 08-26-2005, 12:32 AM   #273
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Very close, Squatter, and true, but there is a specific word for which I'm looking.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:20 AM   #274
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Getting rusty

'Tragedy' is a specific word. Clearly I was right and you've just forgotten the answer. I shall appeal.

Alternatively, you must be looking for dyscatastrophe.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:57 AM   #275
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's the one I was looking for! It's such an interesting word, and used so seldom, which is why it appeals to me! Carry on, Squatter.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:11 AM   #276
Spectre of Decay

Pipe Words, words

I think Tolkien invented dyscatastrophe too. It certainly isn't in the OED.

Which character encountered by the hero in Roverandom is a Viking?
Old 09-09-2005, 01:02 AM   #277
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Can you give a clue, Squatter? I can only find 'Niord', whom Rover doesn't actually encounter, or the 'Red Worm', of whom the mer-dog tells, but who is also not encountered by the title hero.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:52 AM   #278
Spectre of Decay

Pipe Clue

With pleasure.

The clue is in the back-story. What is the element with which we most associate Vikings?
Old 09-09-2005, 08:22 AM   #279
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

water

I'll be searching for the answer.

edit: the sea-serpent, perhaps? (from Midgard)

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 09-09-2005 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:56 AM   #280
Spectre of Decay

Pipe Not quite there yet

But the sea-serpent isn't the Midgard Serpent. He's only partially based on Loki's serpentine offspring. Bear in mind that the Red Worm is a ship and not a character. Does that help?