The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2002, 08:32 PM   #41
Salix
Shade of Carn Dûm

Salix has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I am planning to be my pieced-together-from-everyday-clothing elf costume, but now I'm considering going as a ringwraith. Let's see, no ringwraith costume, but no toy bow or arrows, and no plastic sword except my little sister's toy scimitar... I could go as an orc...
Old 10-16-2002, 08:36 PM   #42
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dûm

NazgulNumberTen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NazgulNumberTen
The Eye

im not going. even if i did, there is no need to get a costume, my ghastly face is enough...
Old 10-16-2002, 10:16 PM   #43
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Pictures! We need pictures.
Anyone who has access to a digital camera or scanner should get their pic online so we can see each other dressed up as LOTR characters... after Halloween, of course.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 07:50 AM   #44
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Thumbs up

I already have a picture of me and my hobbit costume. It's quite sad really but I'll get it on asap.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 03:28 PM   #45
Eve Star

Sting

Hmmm...Yall have really good ideas. I was planning on going as a punk rocker, but now I want to go as an elf or a Ringwraith...

Ohh, decisions, decisions!
Old 10-22-2002, 11:57 AM   #46
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i have a gorgeous elf costume! river blue and it shimmers and rusles as you walk but living in merry old england has a draw back the rain and the cold!! i mean long dresses are great in doors but i don't want mud up the back! ohh how about changing the water spell let me see...
Nin o cithaeglir
Lasto beth daer
DARO!!!
What do you think will it work? if not i'm a ringwraith too!
Old 10-22-2002, 03:57 PM   #47
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My dad doesn't like halloween, we usually have a 'bonfire' party for Guy Fawkes night, but I dress up anyway, perhaps as a... ringwraith! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2002, 11:05 PM   #48
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

My Halloween dance was tonight. I wore my costume and got several wonderful comments on it. I actually took pictures, but unfortunately I cannot not post them because I do not have my own website. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2002, 11:37 PM   #49
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Just a note...

The One Ring.net is hosting a Halloween Costume Contest. <A HREF="http://"http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1035352285"" TARGET=_blank>Check it out</A>

[ October 26, 2002: Message edited by: Tigerlily Gamgee ]
Old 10-29-2002, 04:28 PM   #50
Ms. Took
Haunting Spirit

Ms. Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ms. Took
Sting

I'm going as Frodo. I have the one ring, and I found some big rubber feet. I glued some fur onto them, so now they're perfect hobbit feet.
Ms. Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 07:00 PM   #51
Arwen Melian
Wight

Location: Sometimes Imladris....sometimes Mirkwood...other times ....Lothlorien
Arwen Melian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm a fashion fanatic and I go to a highschool that specializes in fashion design and if you want to look like a character from middle-earth and still be in style, I suggest going as an elf. Why? Because the wide sleeve style is very in right now.
Arwen Melian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 11:19 PM   #52
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

I dressed up for work tonight. The Symphony was doing children's Halloween concert & I decided to dress as Arwen. A lot of people didn't know who I was, but they got that I was an elf. One little boy knew who I was though. He came up and was like, "Hey, I know who you are... you are the girl from Lord of the Rings!!!! I love that movie. I saw it ten times!!!!" Then he started talking about the DVD and TTT [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
It made me so happy. He's one of us!!! It was fun... I'm dressing up again tomorrow (officially Halloween).
Old 11-01-2002, 06:42 PM   #53
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was Arwen (of corce!) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2002, 11:53 AM   #54
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

I was my hobbit character Faye. Well my dress looked very much like an Elven costume but oh what the hay. I went trick or treating with Collette. Lots o Candy!
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 06:08 PM   #55
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Okay, how annoying is this? I dress up in my elf-dress, I wear my beautiful Evenstar necklace, I'm dressed to impress, and we only get FOUR trick-or-treaters! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] It was basically a waste! And we didn't have a lot of good candy.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 07:35 PM   #56
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I got most of my stuff at second-hand stores. Found some great boots and a blue velvet dress that was short enough to be worn as a tunic. So I went as myself, Raefindel, the red-headed elf.

Unfortunately, everyone kept asking if I was Robin Hood- go figure!
Old 11-03-2002, 11:36 AM   #57
Arwen Melian
Wight

Location: Sometimes Imladris....sometimes Mirkwood...other times ....Lothlorien
Arwen Melian has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Nevfenial, I know what you mean. I was dressed to impress too, but nobody came. Actually a bunch of kids did come( and I wore my Evenstar pendant and all) and we forgot the candy. We were about to open the door and give them money, then when we looked out of the window we saw there were too many. I mean who in there right mind is going to give 35 dollars away to complete strangers for Halloween?! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Arwen Melian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 08:44 PM   #58
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I feel for you, Nev. I have never gotten many trick-or-treaters before either. Last year we had two kids and this year seven. That's why I don't bother to dress up for Halloween anymore.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:07 AM   #59
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Im hoping to go as either an elf or a hobbit....a slight chance of an orc. Second hand stores! Good idea, ill try it. it'll probably be too cold to go as an elf, though. Snows before almost every Halloween. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 10:21 AM   #60
Airerûthiel
Wight

Airerûthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I didn't dress up as anything ME for Hallowe'en this year (I went to my friend's Hallowe'en party and then trick-or-treating dressed as Emily Strange), but this is dressing up as something from Middle-earth so it stills counts I guess...

At our village festival this year, eight of my friends and I entered the fancy dress competition as The Fellowship of the Ring and won! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I got to be Aragorn, which was pretty cool (even if I did have to have a semi-tache drawn on with eye pencil!). I also know somebody who went to a fancy dress party as an Ent once...probably one of the strangest costume ideas I've ever heard of, but still quite cool
Old 01-11-2003, 04:26 PM   #61
Thulorongil
Haunting Spirit

Thulorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thulorongil
Shield

Hey Nevfenial! (from pg 1) My friend wore the exact costume! Of course, she's in Canada, so I never got to see it.

I made a hobbit costume with a brown, with very, very hobbitish pattern vest, a white collared shirt, green pants rolled up & sewed on the inside so the ends were halfway up my lower legs, and doll-making hair over my tan shoes!
Old 01-12-2003, 02:08 AM   #62
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was not anything for Halloween last year (2002, last year, weird) [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
But this year I am going to be something LOTR related, I have been thinking Eowyn, I want to make that green dress that she wears in the film, but I am going to have to do some research (and get a wig)
Old 01-23-2003, 09:46 PM   #63
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

in Home Ec this year, im hoping to make either an elf dress or elf tunic. then i can borrow my friend's bow. Heh heh, me and my other LOTR crazed friend are hopefully going to dress up as elves and then we will meet one of our Legolas-crazed friends (only likes the movie cause of Lego...grr i hate that) in the schoolyard in the dark and scare the hell out of her...we'll jump out of trees and call Tangado haid (hold your positions) to each other. She wont know what it means. we can speak gibberish and she'll think its a language...mwa ha ha [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

[ January 23, 2003: Message edited by: Horse-Maiden of the Shire ]
Old 01-23-2003, 10:30 PM   #64
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

YES!! I just found the PERFECT Elven dress! Its a deep forest green with black faux fur designs on it. I'll try to get a pic--but it doesnt go all the way down to my feet so Ill just wwear a longer skirt underneath it and ill wear a shirt with sweeping sleeves under neath it too...YES! this is gonna be awesome! Unless of course I find a Nazgul costume, then my elf idea is goin out the window.
Old 01-25-2003, 06:41 PM   #65
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Sting

Halloween was wicked fun for me last year! I went with my 11-year old bro, who was Legolas, and my best friend in Maine, and her li'l bros and cousins. I was Merry, my friend was Frodo, and her cousin our age was Pippin. My friend's brother (who is 8) was a ringwraith, and we had the best costumes! We all had green cloaks and my friend's cousin took the soles out of her shoes and put them on her feet, then put skin-colored tights over them, they looked really realistic! Of course, no one knew who we were, but the ringwraith kept running around saying, "Hobbits! Three hobbits!" and instead of trick-or-treat, he said, "Shhhhire. Bagginssss!" Yeah, Halloween rules [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 01:07 AM   #66
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

Hey everyone! Now that Halloween's just around the corner, there bound to be someone who's dressing up again. If you are, feel free to share. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

And...

If this doesn't scare you, I don't know what will.
Old 10-04-2003, 01:24 AM   #67
Airerûthiel
Wight

Airerûthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm currently debating over my Halloween costume for this year because it's my half-term on October 31st this year so my friend is having a party again. At the moment I really like the Jack Sparrow costume I've started to put together, but if I get my hair cut short before Halloween I'm going to go as Tom Bombadil. Still, whatever I end up with at least I don't have to buy/make another costume for my 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' school leaving party in May...
Old 10-04-2003, 01:33 AM   #68
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Oh, the Gollum mask, that thing is freaky
but...
Brinniel haven't you seen the Legolas costume. That thing is even scarier [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Well, right now I am trying to get the white dress of Eowyn made. But I have yet to start on the principal sewing, though I do have a pattern. I want to go all out with this costume, you know, metal belt, beading on the backing, wool fabric, everything. Other than just the dress the costume is quite simple, but I just have to get it done.
Old 10-04-2003, 02:31 AM   #69
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yay! Another Halloween is almost here!

I'm either dressing up as Mrs Denethor or a scary elf lady. Or I could just be myself, which is pretty scary in itself.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:47 AM   #70
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yea! Halloween! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I second that! A scary elf lady? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I will go as my standard "adult ghost" I have several white king size topsheets, a white robe, long gloves etc. I wear the sheets over the head with just little eye holes...no plastc masks please! On windy halloweens, the effect is great, with a big, white, billowing ghost moving amongst the almost scared kiddies, pumping up the "atmosphere"! I hope it's a cool, windy night...with a big full moon. I haven't seen a LoTR outfit yet, maybe this will be the year to bring a squeal of joy to my lips! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2003, 09:52 AM   #71
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was a Nazgul last year

& if Village Photos would work, I could prolly show la picture.... but it is refusing to load : p I have no clue what I'll be this year. Maybe an evil squeegee. squeegee squeegee. (wow that was random. sorry, i'm not feeling very well today so I'm bound to make squeegee noises... or something...
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 10:23 AM   #72
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It would be absolutely cool to be Galadriel for Halloween, but, seeing as how I'm relatively short and have dark red-brown hair and look like an orc when I try to wear a dress, well, I'm not sure anyone would figure it out! (Well, I'm prettier than an orc, but definitely not elvish!). I'd be a hobbit, but my feet have a nasty habit of sweating in cold weather and it would be messy with fake feet. (They already grow their own hair, if that helps...heh heh!) I like painting these awful pictures of myself, because now everyone thinks I am a short orc with hairy feet! I'd love to be Pippin, but I don't think anyone around here would know who he is! Well, ideally, I'd be Nerdanel, estranged wife of Fëanor, but then they REALLY wouldn't know who I was! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] My husband can pass for Aragorn or Boromir, though, depending on the state of his facial hair and general well-being. Ideally I'd have him be Merry to my Pippin or Frodo to my Sam, but he is the least hobbitish thing walking around here! Perhaps I could be Pippin to his Boromir...we do have the Horn of Gondor (at least an approximation!) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta

P.S. NazI believe I have visited your Nazgul picture site before, and you make a great Nazgul! Do you have a black horse? It is so rural here, that I half expect to see any Nazgul actually riding the family horse for trick-or-treating. (I wouldn't be surprised at all if that happened (except for them knowing what a Nazgul is and all!))

[ October 04, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 11:25 AM   #73
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm going as Éowyn this year. I don't really have the time or money to make a good dress, so I think I'll go in her soldier disguise. Probably I'll wear thick black stockings and make a tunic out of a really long white shirt or a sheet, then wear some sort of dark green shirt underneath. I know it doesn't really seem like much of a realistic fighting outfit, but maybe I'll find some inexpensive plastic armor pieces somewhere. A friend of mine has agreed to let me borrow a plastic sword of his (don't ask me why he'd bring it with him to college [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]), and I already have longish blonde hair, so I'll crimp or wave it somehow. I'm trying to convince my friends to go LotR this year as well; so far I have an Arwen and a Gandalf, and I'm working on finding an elf and a ranger (and maybe a Faramir [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) to accompany us. Great fun [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2003, 11:45 AM   #74
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

I am being an elf. Go back to pg. 1 and look at that picture for and idea of what my costume will look like, I got that pattern too! I am modifying it slightly, but it will be almost the same. Of course, 'Halloween costume' is my excuse to get my mom to buy the materials, I have very little money. You all know I'm going to wear it more! For pointed ears I got some rubber cement to glue my ears into points.
Old 10-04-2003, 12:53 PM   #75
Anything but Arwen
Wight

Anything but Arwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anything but Arwen
Silmaril

Its not LOTR related, but I probably wont be going out. Its not really my thing, but I might just float round the house being Samara and giving out copies of my tape to people...

(I really am going to hand out copies of the tape, you know. I can do that. I have seen the video. I got the phone call.)
EDIT: Spelling...

[ October 04, 2003: Message edited by: Anything but Arwen ]
Old 10-04-2003, 02:34 PM   #76
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Quote:
I might just float round the house being Samara and giving out copies of my tape to people...
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Anything but Arwen, I would love to see that! I would soooo watch the tape, too... I love Samara [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I'm not going out this year, either... but I am going to a Halloween party, so I'm wearing my elf costume there. It's the same one in the picture from pg 1. With the big sleeves... *squee* It's almost done. I just have to sew the front and back together and do the sleeves. And I need ears... I think I'm going to buy some. I saw some "elf ears" at a Halloween store last year. Stupid me...I should have bought them.
Old 10-04-2003, 02:51 PM   #77
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

*sigh* Halloween is nearly here...and I don't know what I could be! Leaning towards Nazgul...but leaning towards hobbit as well! Arrgh! *bangs head against wall* Ah, well...to Wal-Mart!
Old 10-04-2003, 03:03 PM   #78
Lily

Lily has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lily
Sting

I was a Ringwraith last year. I looked really cool too, even though I made the costume myself. LOl I was all in black and stuff my mom was worried I would get killed! But anyway...

This year my mom is making me that white dress Eowyn wore in TTT. It's going to be so awesome! Lol I went from all black to all white! Now if I could just get my mom to start on it! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 06:19 PM   #79
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Try going to Wal-Mart and rummaging around in the Halloween costumes section. It's got a lot of great stuff. I bought a long velvet, Arwen-ish cape (except it's black) with the same type of hood and all, for about $25 dollars, and a pair of long, black velvety gloves for about $4, that were absolutely gorgeous. I even bought a pattern there for my armored shieldmaiden vest, and I'm going to go back for the material. It's this beautiful dark purple panne, absolutely gorgeous. Wal-Mart is the answer to all of your problems!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 08:37 PM   #80
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Last year I was Arwen. I wore a white dress with silver leaves and flowers that I got for about $10 (US) at Saint Vincent De Paul. It wasn't exactly like the movie, but very Arwen-esque. My little brother (who looks very much like Elijah Wood) was Frodo last year. Anyway, I'm going to be Éowyn this year, but I haven't started my costume yet, so I'd best get a move on!

[ October 04, 2003: Message edited by: Orominuialwen ]

[ October 04, 2003: Message edited by: Orominuialwen ]