The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2005, 04:35 PM   #761
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Thumbs up

Quote:
Hope this helps....here.
Whoa....those are different! Thank you for the link !
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:57 AM   #762
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Hey I have one of those! I got one around Christmas time - Mine only came With Frodo and an Orc however... I haven't been able to find them since then though.... where did you find yours at?

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 06:40 AM   #763
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I found them at Toys R Us.
Enoreiel and Samwise, where did you get those avatars? They are adorable!!
Old 07-13-2005, 12:17 PM   #764
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Question Um......

It's been so long, I don't quite recall. Last time I went to the gal's site though, I seem to remember it being down.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 07-19-2005, 05:06 PM   #765
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Thanks so much Holbytlass - I was so sad when I couldn't find them again to buy the rest of the characters (I orginally bought mine at Media Play)

My story about the avatar is about the same as Samwise's. Sorry - its really been so long. I did have the good idea, however, to download a few of them when I first saw upon them.

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:08 PM   #766
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Movie Packs

I just seen those expensive movie packs with the figures in them (FotR-Argonathbookends, TT- Gollum figure, RotK- Minas Tirith) for $29.99 each at BJ's wholesale club, if anyone was interested and waiting for them to go on sale. Other places may be bringing them down in price too.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:23 PM   #767
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Speaking of sales, I just got a really nice Gandalf the Grey figurine for $5.99 -- if you press the button on the base, he says "YOU... SHALL NOT... PASS... pass... pass..." (that's the echo)
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:35 AM   #768
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrian
I just seen those expensive movie packs with the figures in them (FotR-Argonathbookends, TT- Gollum figure, RotK- Minas Tirith) for $29.99 each at BJ's wholesale club, if anyone was interested and waiting for them to go on sale. Other places may be bringing them down in price too.
That's a good bargain, especially as the FotR sets are now incredibly hard to find, and often quite expensive on e-bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
Speaking of sales, I just got a really nice Gandalf the Grey figurine for $5.99 -- if you press the button on the base, he says "YOU... SHALL NOT... PASS... pass... pass..." (that's the echo)
That will be one of the new figures which are coming out bit by bit. That's a good one, but there have been a few scarily poor ones such as 'Eye of Sauron' I've finally got a 'Galadriel Entranced' (glow in the dark, wooo ) and I'm looking out for the new Theoden, but the one figure I failed to get and am hunting down is Gil-Galad. I just wish they would bring out a Balrog figure...
Old 07-27-2005, 12:50 PM   #769
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

I saw the Theoden figure in the store as well, but he didn't say anything or do anything special... but since he was the RUI (Ruling Under the Influence) version of Theoden, I guess that's fitting.

They've got a Gil-galad toy? Ooh, must keep an eye out for that one.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:16 PM   #770
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I saw the Theoden figure in the store as well, but he didn't say anything or do anything special... but since he was the RUI (Ruling Under the Influence) version of Theoden, I guess that's fitting.

They've got a Gil-galad toy? Ooh, must keep an eye out for that one.
They could have made the new Theoden roll his eyes in a 'madman' fashion, that might have been amusing. But doesn't he have any special features? The only two I have which are without weapons or slightly bizarre features are the Galadriel and the Arwen. They must have been slightly disappointing for any kids who got them!

Gil-Galad is great - he has nice blue armour, but a rather strange expression on his face. He is very rare though, so if you see more than one, snap 'em up and get on e-bay.

I bought a nice boxed set of LotR off e-bay a few weeks ago. It's the same editions as the very first copy I ever read, but without the deep creases down the spines, and it has Pauline Baynes covers (as I've now discovered). Unfortunately I also purchased another more modern set (as the covers were very attractive)which is full of printing errors.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:09 AM   #771
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

I've just had a radical redecorating of my room, in which I found some books I had lost. So in a way, my collection has re grown. I thought I'd take some pictures of my new collection. It's not as impressive as some collections here. But I have two bookcases and a two desks that have my Tolkien related things on / in them.

This is my Primary Bookcase, where all the things I am most likely to read are located.

This is the Secondary bookcase, where all the other books and CDs and DVDs are located.

This is The Desk on which I set all my Tolkien related merchandise.

This is My Other Desk where I travel to the Downs from.

The Books I found were; The Hardback copy of The Hobbit, and Roverandom.

If you are wondering what is going on with the wallpaper, it is this. The room used to belong to a younger sibling, but we swapped rooms for reasons that were complex. We never got around to changing the wallpaper, so I decided to simply cover the football related stuff up with Tolkien posters!

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 08-01-2005 at 05:13 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:19 AM   #772
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Hey Hookbill you want to make friends with me so I can come round and play with all that fantastic stuff! I've been looking for the Trivia Game forever but it seems to have popped out of existence where I live .
Old 08-01-2005, 05:25 AM   #773
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

That's a far more impressive collection than I had when I was your age! Even though there was little you could buy in those days in terms of merchandise, I didn't have quite so many of the books - I had to use the library to read the available volumes of HoME as they were so expensive!

I was having a quick (-ish) look on ebay this morning and found this. It's a nice edition of LotR which comes with Tolkien's autograph and a funny little doodle he did of what seems to be Gollum! Have a look - it reminded me in a strange way of Homer Simpson.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:40 AM   #774
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Pipe

I actually have no idea where my parents got that Trivial Pursuits game. I just remember getting it for Christmas last year and then I could not find it anywhere I looked for it. *Shrugs* perhaps they made it themselves.

Thanks, Lalwendë. I'm in the middle of collecting the History of Middle Earth series. So far I have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 12, and 13 (Index). A friend of mine ranted at me for getting the Index, she called it a "Glorified" Index. I like that term. However, I have the American copy of Sauron Defeated, so when I have time and money I'll try and get hold of the UK edition so that the collection looks right!

[Eddit] Did anyone notice the trophy on top of the secondary bookcase? It's always been my ambition to buy a trophy mainly because I cannot win one.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 08-01-2005 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Rats in the pipes
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:49 AM   #775
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yes I noticed the trophy, wasn't there another one by your collection desk?

And Lal I could kill you for showing me that! Do you have any idea how much I want it now!?! However, I don't have the money and so will have to watch it be sold to someone else .
Old 08-01-2005, 05:52 AM   #776
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Yes I noticed the trophy, wasn't there another one by your collection desk?
It's the same one.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:07 PM   #777
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Well, I thought I'd update my collection status;

What’s on the Primary Bookcase;

- History of Middle Earth: complete!

- The Tales from the Perilous realm
- Roverandom
- The Silmarillion (black paper back)
- The Hobbit (black)
- The Unfinished Tales (black)
- The Hobbit (Modern classics)
- The Fellowship of the Ring (Modern Classics)
- The Two Towers (Modern Classics)
- The Return of the King (Modern Classics)
- The Lord of the Rings (Gandalf Paper back)
- Fin and Hengist
- Tree and Leaf
- The Monsters and the Critics
- The Letters of J.R.R.Tolkien
- Tolkien: A Biography
- The Complete Tolkien companion

- The Letters of Father Christmas
- Board of the Rings
- The Soddit
- The Sellamillion
- The Hobbit (Hard-back)
- The Silmarillion (Ilustrated eddition)

The rest is pretty much the same as before, save I have more posters, mainly paintings by Alan Lee and John Howe.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:51 AM   #778
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
I just got two new books from my parents yesterday. "The Essential J.R.R. Tolkien Scorebook - A fan's guide to Middle-Earth and Beyond" by George Beahm and "Lord of the Rings - The Art of The Two Towers" by Gary Russell.

The first one is neat. It has a description of every book/movie writen by/about Tolkien. The second one is very pretty. It has a ton of drawings and scetches from Alan Lee and John Howe, and beautiful costume designs from Ngila Dikson, and a lot more.

They are both very interesting.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:04 PM   #779
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

I have new toys! *giggles uncontrollably* I was looking in a toy store with my friend to see if they had any Harry Potter stuff that we could wear to go see the new movie, and happened upon a huge display of LotR figurines. So I now have the Witch-King (with mace-wielding action), Gil-Galad, and Elrond. Hurrah! They look so spiffy on my shelf.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:41 PM   #780
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Leaf

WOW.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:00 AM   #781
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I've got some new things:

- The Lord of the Rings Readers companion
- J.R.R.Tolkien, a Biography
- The Lord of the Rings 50th Anniversary edition
- The Lord of the Rings complete and Unabridged CDs
- Gandalf pipe
- Glamdring letter opener.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:25 AM   #782
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
I've got some new things:

- The Lord of the Rings Readers companion
- J.R.R.Tolkien, a Biography
- The Lord of the Rings 50th Anniversary edition
- The Lord of the Rings complete and Unabridged CDs
- Gandalf pipe
- Glamdring letter opener.
Which 50th edition did you get? I saw a very nice boxed set of the new hardbacks with a Readers' Companion, in Waterstones, yesterday but alas, the box was damaged!
Old 12-05-2005, 05:18 PM   #783
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots

Okay, this is going to be a stretch, but I really don't buy LOTR merchandise very often. So here it goes:

Last night I went to a concert of a band from New Zealand. Turns out that they live about half-an-hour away from where Hobbiton was filmed. "We're about as close to hobbits as you are ever going to get." I bought one of their cds. So indirectly I guess, I added to my LOTR collection.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:43 AM   #784
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Which 50th edition did you get? I saw a very nice boxed set of the new hardbacks with a Readers' Companion, in Waterstones, yesterday but alas, the box was damaged!
I have seen the Boxed version, but I did not get it. It was a Birthday present and is just the hardback book with all the pretty pictures... well, the pages from MArbulaz (no idea if that is the correct spelling) and the big maps... but all the same...
Old 12-06-2005, 02:12 PM   #785
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

That's a mighty fine birthday present.

The damaged boxed set is still lurking on the shelves of our local Waterstones - I'm hoping it goes into the sale after Christmas as the tear on the binding might be repairable.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:30 AM   #786
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Boots

Darn it, the damaged box set of LotR in our local Waterstones has not gone into the sale.

But anyway...

I bought davem the Lord of the Rings Trivia Game for Christmas, and I can recommend it. It's not the Trivial Pursuit one, this one has artwork by Ted Nasmith, and the questions are set by members of the Tolkien Society and Daeron's Books, and it also has a fun traditional board game element (and is less than half the price of the 'Triv' version!). We found the questions in 'Triv' far too easy, but the ones in this are not always easy, and you can make answering them more difficult if you wish. Plus it looks nice. We had two games of it straight after Doctor Who and really enjoyed it.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:12 PM   #787
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thumbs up

Quote:
I bought davem the Lord of the Rings Trivia Game for Christmas, and I can recommend it.
Indeed. It is a great game with exceptional artwork and book-based questions. Only problem I have is finding someone willing to play it with me. Mrs Saucepan and I have played a few games, but since I always managed to win ...
Old 12-28-2005, 03:03 PM   #788
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Although a new copy of LOTR would really come in handy (latest set has become deciduous) no joy .. my god-daughter did get a book called "1001 films ot see before you die" in which The Lord of the Rings Trilogy were listed as being in English and Sindarin ... which although true was a little strange somehow...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:12 PM   #789
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I also received the Reader's Companion Guide. I had wanted to wait for the 2-volume boxed set, but that doesn't appear to be out yet, at least in the US. I've been waiting two years and couldn't resist so put a bug in my husband's ear. I wonder whether I'll have the patience to actually plough through the thing or just use it for reference.

Other additions....My son got me an older Ballentine edition of Smith of Wooten Major to add to my collection, plus the Tudor Mint statue of Frodo and Galadriel came from a friend.

At least people don't have any problem buying for me, since they know exactly what I like.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:32 PM   #790
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Hooray! Got new copies of both The Hobbit (desperately needed since 3 chapters fall out when you read it) and LotR. Also got LotR Monopoly which we've already played about 4 times and it was very enjoyable!
Old 12-29-2005, 09:58 AM   #791
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
For Christmas I got four HoME books. Return of the Shadow, Treason of Isengard, War of the Ring and Sauron Defeated. It was one of the first things I opened,it took my parents a while to convince me to put them down and open my next one.

So my collection is now:

~ The Modern Classics editions of all three LotR and the Hobbit
~ Paperback editions of The Sil and Unfinished Tales
~ a Legolas bookmark, an Aragorn bookmark and a Legolas and Gimli bookmark
~ 2004 TTT calender
~ The Hobbit computer game
~ The Palennor Fields Aragorn action figure
~ A TTT wooden pen and pencil
~ TTT T-Shirt
~ a Legolas poster
~ RotK poster puzzle
~ All three movies in the extended editions(in the very nice box)
~ LotR RotK jigsaw puzzle book
~ HoME(6,7,8,9)

Last edited by wilwarin538; 12-29-2005 at 10:03 AM.
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:41 PM   #792
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Christmas this year didn't add to my collection as much as in the past, but still, here be what I didst get.

- The Hobbit Unabridged CDs
- Tolkien: author of the Century, by Tom Shippey
- The Silmarillion White paperback
- The Sellamillion paperback
- The Battle for Middle Earth computer game (which I cannot get to work)
- The Silmarillion poster collection.

And that be it.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:31 PM   #793
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
I have a small collection, but its coming along nicley. Not a wholw lot though.

FotR
TTT }Individual books
RotK
The Atlas of Middle Earth
The Lost Road
The Language of Middle-Earth

TTT for GBA
RotK for GBA
The Third Age for GBA
RotK Extended Version on VHS

The One Ring<-it was only fifteen dolars, nothing special
The One Ring<-this one however, is a silver plated gold inscribed ring. youd be very surprised how i got this.(it was legal )

The Two Towers edition Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli action figures

I have also made my own custom LotR legos(i am a huge lego fan, even though im probably way two old for them! i think it would be really cool if LotR and Lego made a deal)
and I like to boast my short sword!
(well its not an LotR sword, its an Iranian sword, but i like to think of it an Easterling's weapon}

And speaking of which have any of you seen the Treebeard w/Merry and Pippen figurine? I was browsing through the local Toy's R Us and i noticed all the Figures on one isle. He's HUGE! And he makes real ent grunting and mumbling sounds
________
Toyota corolla e70 specifications

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:54 PM   #794
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thumbs up

No books or games for me this year (or tickets to theatre productions), but I did receive a very neat Lord of the Rings (movie) calendar. It's comprised of bookmarks, one for each month of the year, and featuring different actors/characters each month. It was a thoughtful surprise that came neither by sleigh nor by Internet but by snailmail. Now I think I shall have a special bookmark for most of my Tolkien books!
Old 12-30-2005, 06:01 AM   #795
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

I didn't get anything Tolkien related for Christmas! Though I did get to play that great game of course (the added bonus of buying a game for Christmas is that takes more than one person to play it!), and I was pleased that I chose it, so that was perfectly good enough for me. But I did get davem two old 1970s vintage books from ebay. One is "Writers for the Seventies - JRR Tolkien" and the other is "Understanding Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings". Both have superb psychedelic cover art, the latter featuring a bizarre floating profile of Tolkien's head floating across a river, all painted in a Terry Gilliam style.

I nearly had to buy myself a new One Ring as just before Christmas I almost lost the silver one I always wear. We had left the cinema where we'd been to see the Narnia film, and were waiting for a tram to take us back into the city centre. At the back of the platform was a high fence with a large gap at the bottom, and a disused railway track. I rummaged out the tram tickets and swung my bag onto my shoulder and the ring somehow slipped off, and with a sickeningly loud clunk (like in the films), it rolled off into the darkness behind this fence. We couldn't see it anywhere, and then davem climbed over the fence and dropped onto the side of the railway track. Unable to see anything, he made a flaming torch out of some old newspaper he found lying there, so not only was he trespassing but he was also setting fires. I told him to give up, and that it was lost and then he suddenly spotted the ring. As he climbed back over the fence we got some disapproving looks, but it did provide us with some One Ring based humour for all of...ooh...two or three hours.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:33 AM   #796
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420!

Quote:
. . . it rolled off into the darkness behind this fence. We couldn't see it anywhere, and then davem climbed over the fence and dropped onto the side of the railway track. Unable to see anything, he made a flaming torch out of some old newspaper he found lying there, so not only was he trespassing but he was also setting fires. I told him to give up, and that it was lost and then he suddenly spotted the ring. As he climbed back over the fence we got some disapproving looks, but it did provide us with some One Ring based humour for all of...ooh...two or three hours.
You know, Lal, this is not the first time we have been told of a fence-climbing escapade by one of our Downers. And one involving nighttime tresspass!

I think such exploits clearly suggest that there are few fence sitters amongst us. And perhaps more than a few hobbits who hanker after some perilous bonfire pranks. Brandybucks must be in davem's family background, I warrant.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:17 PM   #797
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Leaf

Quote:
I have new toys! *giggles uncontrollably* I was looking in a toy store with my friend to see if they had any Harry Potter stuff that we could wear to go see the new movie, and happened upon a huge display of LotR figurines. So I now have the Witch-King (with mace-wielding action), Gil-Galad, and Elrond. Hurrah! They look so spiffy on my shelf.

**blinks**

Gil-Galad? You got..... Gil-Galad???

...which toy store?
Old 12-31-2005, 12:55 PM   #798
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

I've found you a picture of Gil-Galad - he's one of the nicer figures, even if he does look a bit like Mel Gibson in Braveheart. Quite rare, too, though I got an unboxed one from ebay for only £5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
I think such exploits clearly suggest that there are few fence sitters amongst us. And perhaps more than a few hobbits who hanker after some perilous bonfire pranks. Brandybucks must be in davem's family background, I warrant.
I think davem may be more Tookish - he lacks any inclinations towards boating so cannot be a Brandybuck. That's more likely to be me, as I am very fond of boats but very, very frightened of fire.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:03 PM   #799
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Title #988

Quote:
I've found you a picture of Gil-Galad - he's one of the nicer figures, even if he does look a bit like Mel Gibson in Braveheart.
He does have quite a resemblance doesn't he?

Anyways, I didn't really recieve anything LOTRish for Christmas. Though my mum and I did play LOTR Monopoly LOTR style last night. Every time someone rolls the Eye of Sauron, he/she moves the One Ring to the next property (territory) and moves his/her character only one space. If they land on the same property as the Ring and it isn't owned, he/she can claim it for free. If it is owned, they have to play double rent. Also, when the Ring makes it to Mt. Doom, the game is over. It makes for a quick game.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:10 PM   #800
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Indeed. It is a great game with exceptional artwork and book-based questions. Only problem I have is finding someone willing to play it with me. Mrs Saucepan and I have played a few games, but since I always managed to win ...
Have you got the Lord of the Rings board game? It seems to be one which anyone could enjoy, not just fans of the books. This is the one with artwork by John Howe, that has 'expansion packs' available. We got this today as it looked interesting and as the Trivia Game was a big hit; so we've been trying it out and enjoyed this one too!

For anyone who thinks of getting it (it has Gandalf on the box), it's very difficult to grasp at first, and you will need the rule book to hand for a good while! You might even begin to wonder if you're ever going to get the hang of it, but in the middle of the game, it all dawns on you. Even when you have learned the rules, it is a difficult game so it keeps you entertained and absorbed, as you have a lot of thinking to do.

It is a strategy game, where you have to get to Mount Doom by way of several different boards or 'scenarios'. Game play involves deciding what to do on a turn, to be proactive or to conserve resources or to make moves to save yourself from Sauron, and you also face stiff challenges which can bring the game to a sudden halt. The big twist with this game is that it is non-competitive! You must work together to ensure that you get to Mount Doom, and that Sauron does not get you first.

We played it for a good two hours and were focussed on it all the way through; it looks as though it can be expanded or made more difficult for more advanced players too which is a good thing. Another highly recommended new toy for 'Downers.

EDIT: This is the game

Last edited by Lalwendë; 01-03-2006 at 05:16 PM.
Lalwendë is offline   Reply With Quote