The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2003, 02:07 PM   #41
Idunn
Pile O'Bones

Idunn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When I firstly looked at these dolls, I thought only: awful. Then: it's essential not to reveal the ending too early...<P>But there is a brigh side of this: guys from Mattel are apparently sure that all viewers have already read the books. Very optimistic point of view, I say.<P>Besides, maybe children will like appearance of these dolls. Since they are able to watch Tellytubbies...
Old 08-28-2003, 08:38 PM   #42
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Aw, I still think they look cute. <P>Seriously, though, I really don't have a problem with these dolls. They are just part of the merchandising frenzy that inevitably accompanies films of this nature. I class them along with the action-figures, picture books, key-rings, lunch-boxes and countless other products that have come out over the last two years.<P>And, as someone who is glad that these films were made and has greatly enjoyed watching them, I feel that I can't really object to the merchandising that inevitably surrounds them. What's more, I can hardly complain about LotR dolls, when I am the proud owner of various LotR-related paraphenalia such as T-shirts, calendars, wine goblets and beer mugs. Heck, my son's toy castle has even become home to Legolas and Arwen, courtesy of Ronald McDonald (or was it Burger King).
Old 08-29-2003, 07:03 AM   #43
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Saucy, I quite agree. As long as no one *makes* me buy something I don't like, why should it bother me? Barbies as such do not upset me either; I learned to sew by making clothes for mine, since I couldn't afford to buy them back then. (My mother refused to buy me a doll, though she did allow me to save my meager allowance for one, since I absolutely wanted it - but I digress...) Years later I watched my daughter playing - no, not shopping and dressing, but role-playing with whole families of Barbies/Kens/et al. Again, I sewed clothes for her dolls. Hey - I may just dig out some of those Barbies/Kens and transform them into Middle-earth characters by sewing costumes for them! Will you all promise not to groan when I'm finished and show the pictures?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 07:38 AM   #44
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
I can't wait to see them, Esty. Perhaps they should be available in the Barrow-Stores.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:07 AM   #45
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Will you all promise not to groan when I'm finished and show the pictures?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*laughs* Sure.

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 09:15 AM   #46
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

I as well was not able to view the dolls. Although I wonder if it might be possible to find them through a search of a mattel website? Would anyone recomend looking for them? Or were they truely as horrifying as you have indicated them to be?<P>If they aren't I might even think about getting one for my 3 year old sister, she adores the movies. She asks to watch both of them on an irregular basis! Personaly I've decided that it's not harmful and so I should encourage her intrest! Does anyone have any idea when these might be available? And by the way, I think the whole idea in general is laughable!
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 09:52 AM   #47
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Seriously, though, I really don't have a problem with these dolls. They are just part of the merchandising frenzy that inevitably accompanies films of this nature. I class them along with the action-figures, picture books, key-rings, lunch-boxes and countless other products that have come out over the last two years.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That's what I'm thinking. Of course I couldn't resist joking about them early on, & Aragorn does look a little scared, but I don't have a problem with them.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 12:38 AM   #48
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Ahhhh, I am glad people are not as harsh about this as they were before. I was kind of surprised at some of the comments that came up because of this.<P>They are still not my most favorite dolls in the world though (I wish they would have used original face sculpts). And I still wonder if Arwen has pointy ears, because you could not see if she did so from the picture.<P><B>Estelyn</B> I can't wait to see your own hand sewn doll costumes, I bet they will be beautiful.<P>Remember these dolls are based on the Movie (the Peter Jackson interpretation), not the books
Old 08-30-2003, 03:18 AM   #49
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Well, I guess mine will be book dolls, not movie dolls, since the male has shaved and gotten a haircut! The female doll I have has no pointed ears, so I guess she's not quite canonical...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 06:22 AM   #50
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Now, when I played with Barbie dolls, my brother and I would pretend that half were detectives and half were bad guys... This explains why one of my Ken dolls had no legs and the other had only one arm.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Hear, Hear, Diamond. I salute you and your brothers for using your Barbies as God (and Santa Claus) intended.<P>What makes me cringe when I see Barwyn and Araken is that they are not toys, or even action figures. No, worse still - these are <I>collectables</I>. 99% of these dolls will never be played with, or even taken from their box, but are created solely so that they can be hoarded for some future time when they will be "valuable".<P>I think it would be delightful if kids were using their toys to play at being characters from LoTR. And dressing up Barbie to look like an Elven princess is OK by me. I'm just glad I was born in a time when I could play with (ok, and whack around) my toys in peace, without worrying about leaving them in "mint condition".
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 09:04 AM   #51
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

You're right, Birdie, but let me tell you something.<P>I will be financing my daughter's education with the profits I get by selling my original Barbie, Ken, Midge, Skipper sets, complete with carrying cases, original clothes (yes, for all you Barbie fans out there, I have the original Stewardess costume in mint condition even though played with), stands so the darlings could be stock still, and EVEN the original books of clothes. Remember that black and white organza outfit? oh, I could go on...<P>And I have every intention of buying Arbie and Awen so that my daughter can finance her daughter's university education.<P> <P><BR>Bethberry
Old 08-30-2003, 09:32 AM   #52
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, Bethberry, but at least you got to play stewardess with the stewardess outfit. And that's why all these toys are worth so much now; because we <I>played</I> with them, and they remind us of those good times. <P>So go ahead and buy Barwyn and Araken, but I predict that there will be so many mint condition dolls out there in 20 years, that an ad for Barwyn that says "played with!" will be worth the big bucks. <P>P.S. - All my Barbie clothes were made out of old tube sock tops. We still had fun with them, I guess, but Tobacco Road Barbie wasn't as romantic as Arwyn Barbie.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 03:05 PM   #53
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

My sister used to rip the heads off of Barbie dolls.<P>It's a good thing I couldn't see the pics now, or I might start doing the same thing.<P>*Sigh* What's the world coming to? Why must large companies feel as though they have to turn everything into a doll or action figure?! The problem isn't just with the Tolkien Enterprise, it's with the whole world!<P>Exhibit A: <A HREF="http://www.mcphee.com/enlightenment/current/10746.html" TARGET=_blank>The Jesus Action Figure</A><P>Exhibit B: <A HREF="http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0808-11.htm" TARGET=_blank>The President George W. Bush Aviator Action Figure</A><P>And now, Aragorn and Arwen add to the Toys of Shame with Exhibit C. Pathetic...
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 03:21 PM   #54
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Hear, Hear, Diamond. I salute you and your brothers for using your Barbies as God (and Santa Claus) intended. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thank you, Birdie. But I only have one brother. I got my start in writing fiction, by torturing — I mean, playing with Barbie dolls, and for that reason I won't say anything bad about Barbie in general. So what if you'll never see Mattel advertising "Mastermind Villain Kelly", "Interrogation Room Barbie" and "Guillotine Ken" (with detachable head) <I>or</I> have them be propounded as learning tools in character developement (oh the angst that hid behind those painted on smiles...) but put little human figures in the hands of children and you never know what will happen. I don't see any problem with kids roleplaying/reinacting the story with Araken Starwearer and Queen Barsuwyniel in hand. (If only they didn't look so lame and unlike the actors they're supposedly modeled after!)<P>So, here's what you do. Buy two sets, one for playing with and one for storage to sell later on. And this way New Line/Mattel will get double the money! Yehaw!<P>All kidding aside: Believe me, product commercialization of a movie based on a book is one of the <I>least</I> of the world's troubles...<p>[ August 31, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 08-31-2003, 05:04 PM   #55
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>So what if you'll never see Mattel advertising "Mastermind Villain Kelly", "Interrogation Room Barbie" and "Guillotine Ken" (with detachable head) or have them be propounded as learning tools in character developement (oh the angst that hid behind those painted on smiles...) but put little human figures in the hands of children and you never know what will happen.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*laughs* Oh that is a perfect discription, and <I>exactly</I> what happens! <BR>"Oh the angst..."

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 06:18 PM   #56
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Tolkien

My hat goes off to all of you who are able to think so positively about the dolls! <P>I'm still not quite there, but I am over the initial shock of when I first saw them. My apologies, Gorwingel, if I came off, erm, a bit harsh.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:30 AM   #57
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Eye

I know this thread is quite old, but for anyone intersted I did find another website that does have a picture of the dolls<P><A HREF="http://www.fantasyplanet.cz/lotr/picture_show.asp?id=4408&obr_url=../gfx/pictures_clanky/lotr_gal_velky_2003826171208057.jpg" TARGET=_blank>fantasyplanet.cz</A><P>We are getting close to the holidays, and I think that these dolls may be coming out soon, so maybe it is time to take another look at them
Old 11-01-2003, 05:53 AM   #58
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ahh, the old thread has been revived!!!<P>Who is Kobe Bryant?<BR>I suppose if I was to agree, I would cite the case of Nancy Kerrigan and that other girl. Or the whole thing with Meg Ryan and Parkinson. (And I can't believe I missed Orli on Graham Norton for the THIRD TIME!!! But wasn't that an interesting thing about the stunt? I think it's the Oliphaunt thing.)<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"Guillotine Ken" (with detachable head) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> You know, I made a doll for a science project when I was in year 8...it had a detatchable head and limbs... Yes, I think I was a rather disturbed child ...my teacher got a shock, anyway...
Old 11-01-2003, 10:58 PM   #59
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Eye

Now here are some more pictures of the notorious dolls, including close ups...<BR><A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/1081/" TARGET=_blank>TheOneRing.net</A><P>They are going to come out on November 15th, just in time for the holiday season <P>The Arwen doll I think looks pretty good, I only wish they would have came out with just her. The Aragorn doll is another story, he looks nothing like Viggo! It looks like they made an attempt at making a decent doll (the outfit looks fine) but the face is where they most definitely failed.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:06 PM   #60
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would mind Lord of the Rings action figures but Barbie Dolls? What were they thinking?!