The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quiz Room (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   I found these riddles , can anyone help me figure it out? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4130)

raci 01-07-2003 07:15 AM

A ship? *completely confused*

Lostgaeriel 01-07-2003 12:34 PM

Yep! You're completely correct. You ask one now.

Manwe 01-10-2003 06:42 AM

Here's one again, I now it was some time since I last posted, but I'll try to write more often.

I am the begining,
I am the end,
I don't come in day,
niether in night,
my appearance is shining bright,
my brother is on the other side,
and what I show does he hide,
what am I?

Lostgaeriel 01-10-2003 05:08 PM

To cut down on confusion, I'll include the riddle I'm answering.
Quote:

I am the beginning,
I am the end,
I don't come in day,
Neither in night,
My appearance is shining bright,
My brother is on the other side,
And what I show does he hide.
What am I?
This looks like another astronomical riddle to me. Is it the terminator - the line dividing the light from the dark part of the moon or a planet (such as Earth)? *shrugs*

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Lostgaeriel ]

edit for spelling

[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: Lostgaeriel ]

Manwe 01-13-2003 05:10 AM

No, that's not correct, and it isn't astronomical.

Manwe 01-21-2003 04:40 AM

Please, anyone, try this riddle.

Manwe 01-21-2003 04:48 AM

If it's to hard, post and I'll give you a clue.

Lostgaeriel 01-22-2003 12:12 AM

Hi Manw!

I've been trying to come up with the answer and I'm still stumped. I don't expect another hint - you already gave me a hint as to what it's not - but I'd like one all the same.

Manwe 01-22-2003 04:35 AM

Its a certain time that is called something.

correction: its rather a moment.

[ January 22, 2003: Message edited by: Manwe ]

Ultimatejoe 01-22-2003 06:11 AM

The dawn?

Lostgaeriel 01-22-2003 09:35 PM

Ultimatejoe's answer seems to fit the riddle. But if that's the correct answer, I'm a little put out [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] , because then the riddle was in fact astronomical, and I was on the right track. (If the concept of TIME Z

Lostgaeriel 02-05-2003 06:01 PM

Something's gone cukoo with my previous post and I can't edit it or delete it. So I'll try to restore it.

I recall Manw replying to my post confirming Unltimatejoe had the correct answer. His post is seemingly lost forever.

Ultimatejoe's answer seems to fit the riddle. But if that's the correct answer, I'm a little put out [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img], because then the riddle was in fact astronomical, and I was on the right track. If the concept of time isn't astronomical (the science of heavenly bodies), I don't know what is. The study of the heavens began as a way of developing calendars for growing crops.

My answer was the moving location of the boundaries between night and day on a planet or moon. That is the location of dawn or sunrise (the answer) and dusk or sunset (its brother). Exact words are critical in answering riddles. I had the sense of the riddle but answered with a word describing location rather than one describing the time.

OK, enough of my hurt ego and the school lesson.

Play on, Ultimate Joe - I'm sure Manw did confirm.
*bows to the two superior riddle-masters*
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Manwe 02-06-2003 01:01 PM

Hey, where is my post?
What I said was that Ultimatejoe was correct, however the post disappeard, strange. I'll post a new riddle as soon as I come up with one.

Lostgaeriel 02-13-2003 01:25 AM

But Manwe, it's Ultimatejoe's turn to pose one. Them's the rules in the Quiz room. There has to be some reward for answering correctly! Otherwise no one would play. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

And raci is still owed a turn to ask a riddle. He/She answered my riddle at the top of this page January 7/03.

Have Private Messaged both of them.

[ March 11, 2003: Message edited by: Lostgaeriel ]