View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 05:34 AM   #7
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
At least the vision of the Fall of Barad-dûr that Sam saw from the Sammath-Naur has some hints of a fire involved ["The Lord of the Ring"; Book VI; Chapter 3: "Mount Doom", emphasis by underlining is mine]:
Quote:
A brief vision he had of swirling cloud, and in the midst of it towers and battlements, tall as hills, founded upon a mighty mountain-throne above immeasurable pits; great courts and dungeons, eyeless prisons sheer as cliffs, and gaping gates of steel and adamant: and then all passed. Towers fell and mountains slid; walls crumbled and melted, crashing down; vast spires of smoke and spouting steams went billowing up, up, until they toppled like an overwhelming wave, and its wild crest curled and came foaming down upon the land. And then at last over the miles between there came a rumble, rising to a deafening crash and roar; the earth shook, the plain heaved and cracked, and Orodruin reeled. Fire belched from its riven summit. The skies burst into thunder seared with lightning. Down like lashing whips fell a torrent of black rain.
For me the last sentences together with the quote from "Unfinished Tales" suggest a kind of volcanic erruption at the place of Barad-dûr.

About the Osgiliath stone rolling down river: The stone was not throne in by itself or at least that was how I read that passage. ["The Lord of the Ring"; "Appendix A Annals or the Kings and Rulers"; part I: "The Númenorean Kings"; Chapter (iv): "Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion"]:
Quote:
... At last he[Eldacar] was besieged in Osgiliath, and held it long, until hunger and the greater forces of the rebels drove him out, leaving the city in flames. In that siege and burning the Tower of the Stone of Osgiliath was destroyed, and the palantír was lost in the waters.
I allway assumed the tower collapsed and the stone fell into the river with the rubble from the tower. That makes immidiate rolling more difficult.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote