View Single Post
Old 03-19-2003, 10:04 PM   #7
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually as regards the Elessar, it was the sun that had degenerated, the second Elessar was said to be more clear and subtle.

Adanedhel:"I think we have to be careful to differentiate power from wisdom."

Agreed.
by power I mean the ability and energy to create effective action on various planes.

In this specific qurey it is essentially about non-physical [i.e. non warrior/fighting] power.

by wisdom I understand an ability to understand and discern a right course of action, truth from falsehood and a general effective mental benevolance.

The 2 should [and can] be linked, and indeed this is the ideal, as typified in Galadriel. Feanor is the opposite, maximum power, minimum Wisdom.

I thought it desrved it's own thread becuase I have never seen this obscure little subject covered, and it veered away from the Melian/Galadriel topic, though somewhat related.

So if all agreed on the variously defined terms, we can now begin to talk speaking and meaning the same thhings by the same words.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote