View Single Post
Old 04-08-2003, 03:45 PM   #25
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Silmaril

Tony, I'm all but dancing around the room! I am so so glad I'm not the only one who loves that book!!!

One Axe: Yes, you can throw your axe...then dear me, you're disarmed. Of course, if you're fortunate, so is your opponent. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

As for proximity being necessary - no one's gainsaying that. For long distance and relative silence, it's the bow.

And in case you've never seen The Magnificent Seven...throwing a knife can be both accurate and deadly.

As for the age of swords being over, perhaps that's so. But despite all the advances in weaponry, you're still going to end up face-to-face with your enemy. The weapons have changed, but the personal conflict still remains.

Now to Tony's Tolkien-related question (thank you! the shadow of the avenging mod hangs over us!):

From what I've read, I don't remember any further information on who was carrying those swords when the trolls sped them from this world of woe. I couldn't help you with Silmarillion references; it's been a long time and I don't own it myself. However, I think any references would be more along the lines of what happened to them in the fall of Gondolin. I don't think the Silmarillion chronicles the escapades of moronic highway-trolls. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

My own guess would be that the swords were in the possession of one or more Elves who were traveling, possibly to the Blue Havens, when they were waylaid. This sounds kind of obvious, but it's as far as I can go. Does anyone else know for sure what is to be known?